• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
not really a set time

I usually do one big tech purchase a year so whenever it feels right it'll get slotted into that

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
4 to 5 years. Though that is generally for upgrading a few parts, mostly the video card. Replacing the whole thing is maybe once a every 8 to 10 years. It depends on how tech advances and how games perform. For laptops which are just emails and internet generally, I will use them until they die. My current laptop is about 6 years old and the screen is starting to come apart after I dropped it, but as long as that screen still works I will keep using it.

Last edited:

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
My main computer is going on 10 years soon, which is longer than my precious computer lasted. It's held up well as I've upgraded parts here and there and have been using off on a major upgrade since I don't really need it yet.

Now my laptop I bought for college and freelancing. That's a piece of junk. Obsolete the day I bought it. Slowest hard drive I've ever used on any computer ever. It's not even worth fixing or replacing since I never use it though.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I should put a time frame of when to buy one but I never do šŸ˜‚

I take good care of my computers though (cleaning, etc)

But here's my history of ownership

Desktops
1. First desktop was a HP prebuilt back in 1998 - lasted until 2005, sold it - 7 years
2. Second desktop was a HP prebuilt bought back in 2002 and it lasted until 2010 - scrapped it - 8 years
3. Third desktop was a HP prebuilt back in 2010, upgraded GPU to turn it into a gaming PC in 2012 - lasted until 2020, kept HDD but scrapped the rest - 10 years
4. Fourth desktop is my current gaming PC - cyberpower PC prebuilt back in 2019 - only use it for gaming/emularion
5. Fifth desktop is my current general PC which I use for non-gaming purposes like video rendering and other stuff - bought it back in 2020 as a replacement to my third desktop

Laptops
1. HP laptop back in 2007 - still works and I reimaged the laptop from Vista to 7. 14 years
2. Asus gaming laptop from 2014 - I still use it but mainly for general use now since I use my gaming desktop for gaming. 7 years

My next PC purchase will likely be in 2022 or 2023 and will be a new gaming laptop

After that I will likely get a new gaming desktop in 2024 or 2025

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I use console for gaming and have a MacBook 2012 I just changed the battery in it two years ago and use the iCloud for files and it works really well. I use it mostly for writing documents and surf the web on my IPad

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Thinking back on the history of computers I've purchased, it's generally 5 to 7 years.

eMac: 2003
Intel iMac: 2008/2010 (2008 model replaced via Applecare in 2010)
Macbook Pro: 2016

I'll probably be replacing the 2016 Macbook Pro sometime in 2022 or 2023; dunno if it'll be with another notebook or if I'll be going back to an iMac or Mac Mini.

If this year's refresh ends up particularly exciting I might get one this year, but there's been a lot of expensive purchases lately so I don't know if I want to add a computer onto that list.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
It used to be as soon as I could afford it, and when a major node shift warranted an upgrade.

Cyrix 6x86 PR166 (1996)
AMD K6-2 450 (1999)
AMD Athlon XP 2200 (2002)
AMD Athlon64 3400+ (2005)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (2008)
Intel Core i7 3770K (2012)

List missing some secondary side-grade systems, I recall having a Celeron 300A at some point. The last system I'm keeping for as long as it runs. The PSU failed a few years ago and fried the video card. I replaced the PSU and it happily runs everything I need off integrated graphics.

Next system will probably be some sort of AMD Ryzen but it may be years out. For my needs (Excel, Lightroom, internet browsing), hardware isn't limiting at all. Long stopped caring about playing games on PC.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
My desktops tend to last a lot longer than my laptop, simply because it's easier to upgrade them.

I'd be putting in a new CPU/GPU to the desktop if I could find any.

The laptop will probably be replaced this year too with a ryzen+3070 type setup, but that will then last me til 2024.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Before I had a MacBook Pro, 4-5 years I'd replace my windows laptop.

Bought my 2015 MBP in 2016, so this going to be year 5 with it but it's so damn good that I don't see myself replacing until for at least another 5 years.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I used to upgrade my graphics card every two years - but then my last card, a 390X, lasted for almost five. My 5700 XT will probably last for three years in all. Upgrading to a new processor, motherboard, ram and all is typically every five years.

Laptops can last much longer. My current is coming up on eight years old and I have no intention of replacing it - but then, I just use it for basic browsing and a little bit of YouTube, and it's a permanent fixture on my desk now, with the battery having died years ago.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I try to go 5 years. I'm skeptical my XPS will last that long. My MacBook Pro lasted 6 and could have gone another few years if I really wanted to push it.

Wish Dell would put some AMD chips in these things. Intel has become kinda trash.

Jebral

Oct 29, 2017
I'm FINALLY going to be replacing my trusty old 4790k at tax time with (hopefully, stock considred) a 5800x setup. I squeezed 7 years out of this, and I haven't really felt like I was missing out. Smart purchases go a long way.

Oct 30, 2017
all of my devices, including cars, TV, tablets/phones, etc. are used until they die or become incredibly outdated. My desktop PC is probably 10 years old and is just barely above POS. it runs fine it's merely a file server and internet browsing machine for me, it has another 5+ years in it most likely. When it's time to buy, I will get something pre-built like $300 or less

My laptop is brand new and I plan on treating it the same. once it's so outdated that I can't actually do anything with it, time to replace. My tablet is just about at that point, iPad 3.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
my current PC is built in 2017. I'm gonna hold out til zen4 to upgrade it. besides video editing, I can do anything I want on it no problem. Laptop I just bought in early 2019, I only use my laptop for presentation and light coding so it will be good for a long time.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Every 2 years upgrade my gpu when its tax season.
Sell previous gpu for half the price of the new gpu im getting.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
you guys are awesome with your 5+ year old laptops. I have a difficult time going more than 3 years before I get the new tech itch. That being said, I'm on year 3 with my Surface Book 2 and I don't see myself replacing it for a couple of years as laptops are getting better and better for long term use. Even for gaming, that 1060 is a hoss. I don't play super new games though (mainly Stellaris, Sims 3, and Civ 6) so no need for newer stuff.

For me I don't play games on my laptop other than snes emulators, so power is irrelevant. I guess its why I feel I rarely need to upgrade. I also only buy Thinkpads so they'll last a long time. I still use my 10 year old T410s for turning my car, or other outdoor uses.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I had a gaming PC that lasted nearly 9 years from 2008 to 2017!!

Liquid Cooled i7 920 and 12GB Ram stayed in it forever. I only switched out the OS Drive, the HDDs, and the GPU. That thing just kept going...was incredible. I built my current system in late 2017.

M.2 Drive for my OS
10TB (total) Black Drives for storage/games (Didn't go SSD at the time, but may upgrade to them soon due to how cheap they are).
32GB DDR4
980Ti Classified
Liquid Cooled i7 7700k

I've yet to upgrade it as I just bought an Xbox Series X and there's no games on PC that are pushing me to upgrade right now. I'm probably going to do my new build with the next line of RT capable GPUs. Will be a massive upgrade "graphics" pushing wise. The system is INSANLEY fast still though, as I don't use it for anything else at all except games and Photoshop/Graphic design. Bootup to being completely usable without hesitation is like 8-10 seconds, and shut-down is almost immediate. I play on a 1440p 120hz 32" Curved Screen (can switch signal over to my 4k 65" Set, but rarely do that).

I'll probably keep the main hardware (minus GPU/HDDs) for a few years more.

hydruxo

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
I keep laptops until they either die or get so slow and bogged down that I can't bear it anymore. I've had my current one for about three and a half years and it's still holding strong. Last several laptops only lasted a few years.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Laptops last me about 3 years.
Desktops about 8 but I upgrade them every 3 years or so.

May I ask what type of laptop you buy (budget/mid range/high end?) and use case you have for laptops lasting 3? I ask since I've been of the opinion that the tech tends to last a bit longer these days. But that just might be mid/high end laptops and lower end ones maybe last 3, I'm not sure. Just curious.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
My 2015 PC is starting to go, so I'll hopefully be upgrading this year. I'll be keeping my capture card and peripherals but everything else will be new. Maybe get one new monitor as well.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
May I ask what type of laptop you buy (budget/mid range/high end?) and use case you have for laptops lasting 3? I ask since I've been of the opinion that the tech tends to last a bit longer these days. But that just might be mid/high end laptops and lower end ones maybe last 3, I'm not sure. Just curious.

I' have used 2x Dells XPS 13 and right now a Lenovo Thinkpad X390. I used to do some heavy calculations on those, but right now I mostly use them for lab work.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Laptops/MacBooks: Every 4-5 years. 2016 MacBook Pro will most likely be replaced this year.

desktops: I keep it until it breaks or it bottlenecks. I've upgraded the gpu recently to a 6800xt and I think the 8700k will still last me a few more years.

Feb 27, 2018
Built my i5-3507k machine over 8 years ago at this point. Only thing I've done to it was swapped out the GPU (went from a 670 to a 1070) and added 8GB more RAM. Thing has been an absolute workhorse, and on a dollar-per-year average, I have no complaints whatsoever.

Of course, now is the time I try to build something new in perhaps the worst market that PC building has ever seen. Old Yeller might need to hang on a few more months.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I'm looking for a laptop right now. Anyone use an Acer Aspire 5, Swift 3, or Dell Inspirons?

Oct 25, 2017
im on year 7 with my current desktop. i do upgrade the videocard a couple times throughout a PC's lifetime until the rest of it becomes excessively bottlenecked
it still runs alright now but it's getting to that point, and I'm feeling the itch
hoping to squeeze another couple years out of the thing, maybe do a new build in 2022, fingers crossed i can afford ddr5

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Laptops/MacBooks: Every 4-5 years. 2016 MacBook Pro will most likely be replaced this year.

desktops: I keep it until it breaks or it bottlenecks. I've upgraded the gpu recently to a 6800xt and I think the 8700k will still last me a few more years.

I'm sure by this point you've seen and read a million souls gushing over the new M1 Macs, but I'll join in and say that now is definitely a great time to jump in.

Got the cheapest m1 MacBook Air last month or so (thinking I'd rather replace that in 4-5 years if needed rather than splurge on extra RAM or the Pro (didn't want the fan and wanted the form factor of the air) and it blew my mind. It's the cheapest MacBook I've ever bought and by far the best and most impressive in performance per euro (alumni Mac being a 2012 MacBook Pro 15, still in the house, a 2013 MacBook Pro 13 (sold to buy the 2012 15) and a 2008/9(?) Blackbook).

EDIT: On topic. Not sure. Had a 2012 MacBook Pro bought second hand around 2014, then got an HP spectre 14 in 2016 (MacBooks then were too expensive, or too awful and expensive i.e. the infamous 12 MacBook) and now got a MacBook Air. Mostly use a laptop from work for work and everything else got done on the iPad Pro for the last few years. The spectre gathered dust until it was essentially adopted by my fiancee and now the m1 Mac bug got to me. Will probably replace in 4-5 years if there is any slow down or if something very cool gets released.

Also built a desktop in 2016 (6600k, gtx1070) but won't be touching that any time soon, moving back to consoles, keeping the desktop for pc-specific games and Lightroom (though it's now faster on the m1 MacBook Air).

Last edited:

Mesoian

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
Until it starts being annoying to use

This. My editing laptop is rounding the corner on 4 years, but it handles everything under 4k like a champ. I see no reason to upgrade.

PC hardware, generally every 3 years, but even then it'll be one thing, like memory here, a new hdd there. This year was a 3070 and I doubt I'll upgrade again until 2023 or later. That'll probably be the CPU, and I might think about getting a new mobo in turn.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Having just built a new PC (still ironing out a few issues here and there over CPU thermals and waiting to mod the GPU), I plan on using this for at least the next half-decade. The only change I might make is the GPU if that starts to underperform at 1440p which, given it's a 6900 XT, is unlikely for the time being (I already have more than enough storage for what i'm using it for i.e. gaming and video editing).

As for the laptop, it's going to be used until it's kaput.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I've been upgrading gaming laptops every 2-3 years for the last ~12+ years.

My newest Turing based machine I will keep for a little over 3 years though, as I am skipping Ampere entirely.

Limless

Jan 7, 2021
My laptop gets a BSOD on a daily basis and I still haven't smashed it against a wall and got a new one so šŸ¤·

When it catches fire I guess

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
My laptop was 7 years old and instead of getting a new one, I just got rid of it and haven't replaced it. Don't really have much of a use case for it anymore between my desktop PC and iPad. My desktop PC I replace the video card every 2-4 years and everything else about every 5-6 years. However, due to AM4/AMD motherboard supporting multi-gen Ryzen processors, I upgraded yearly from the 1700x, 2700x, and 3700x with only a small cost ($50-100 or so) to get the latest processor. I passed on the 5000 series since they are hard to find and the Bios update for my motherboard isn't officially supported for the processor (I have the first Ryzen motherboard series X370). Current desktop - 4 years old except processor and GPU are 1.5 years old.

Last edited:

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Current desktop is a decade old. Sure, I changed out the PSU, GPU, and RAM a few times, but I see no reason to get anything else atm.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
It depends on what I currently have, what's available, and what software I want to run. I've had my desktop for just under 5 years so I have a desire to build a new PC, but I don't think it's worth it yet. I no longer use my desktop for work and do a limited amount of PC gaming right now because I have a lot of Series X / PS5 games to play. Maybe in 1-2 years. I'd like to wait for the next generation of CPUs/GPUs. My work laptop desperately needs an upgrade. It's a 16" MacBook Pro that was first released in 2015 and it doesn't have a dedicated GPU. This years Apple Silicon 16" MacBook Pro can't come soon enough.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I replaced my Lenovo laptop after 6-7 years. It was still going strong, but I wanted a new, more compact one.

Sharingan9092

Nov 19, 2020
I basically use them until they break down or become too slow.

My current laptop is a lenovo I bought back in 2016! Paid around 550 bucks for it back in the day. I installed a SSD in it last year and it works like a new computer, super fast(for my usage). I only game on my PS4 so I have only used my laptop for school and general use. Super happy with Lenovo, my next laptop will probably be a lenovo again.