• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think you can pretty easily compare it to MOBAs.

DOTA spawned from WC3 when RTS games were at their peak popularity. From there, dozens of copycat MOBAS emerged, many failing immediately (like BR's have) and some having staying power (Fortnite is to LoL as PUBG or is to HoN or DotA2).

The difference here is that first person shooters have always remained popular, whereas RTS games have waned, with DotA2 and LoL being the only real survivors of the MOBA craze.

I think BR's have more staying power than RTS-based games just due to the playstyle's historical dominance.

We'll likely end up with Apex which marries Overwatch and PUBG, Fortnite which marries Minecraft and PUBG, and PUBG which will be seen as the most complicated yet pure "CSGO" style BR.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Mobas are not in the center of media, but they are still some of the most played games of all time. The fad never goes away.
Right, so I interpreted OP's question as asking when does Era think BRs, currently the center of attention, will occupy the same space that MOBAs currently do. Unless you think that media spotlight will never wane?

Oct 25, 2017
I think entire games dedicated to this will go away, but everyone will expect a Battle Royale mode for everything.

It would be awesome for The Last of Us Part II

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played Souls games regularly for like 6 years before I started to get sick of the formula. I feel like I'm on the same track with Battle Royale right now. I've been trying the new games as they come out, and every one has sucked me in for a while. I could keep playing them on and off for another 4 years probably. Assuming new and interesting Battle Royale games keep coming out.

Jan 10, 2018
To be honest, until a few weeks ago, I'd argue that Fortnite was a unique thing rather than the BR thing in general. PUBG has faded away, and Blackout fell like a ton of bricks.

But then Apex and Tetris 99 and took the world by storm. BR is probably here to stay as at the very least, a gamemode.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
As something that gets games pumped out just to try and cash in it already seems to be fading. As others say, as an actual genre it's not going to go away now that the demand and technology is obviously there and the conventions for it are established.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Presume it'll just follow MMOs and mobas in that it won't go away but in a couple of years it'll be considered old news, stale and not played by the younger demographics.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
There's a way out of this game. Kill yourselves together, here, now. If you can't do that, then don't trust anyone... just run.

sickvisionz

Jan 19, 2018
For a long time. To me it seems like a mode you can add to shooters if the map is big enough to accomadate the players. When capture the flag or deathmatch die as game modes, tally up the # of years they each had under the sun. Battle royale as a game mode will probably last at least that long.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Of course it won't ever 'go away' but I highly doubt it'll be anywhere near as big as it currently is in two or so year's time. There's just too many fundamental issues with the game mode in my eyes for me to see these massive independent BR games surviving at the same level they have been up until now.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I think it'll just become more of a standard actually. The idea works well with almost everything and it just feels like the natural evolution for many competive series anyways

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the first, properly impressive next gen BR well be the peak of the genres dominance, but as a genre, it's here to stay.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Even if it does go away, you know gaming is never going back to the days of 8 - 10 hour SP games dominating the market.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
How long do other booms normally last? Was COD on top of the world for maybe 3 years before it started to cool off?

Got Danny

Nov 8, 2017
Why would it go away?

Unlike other fads BR works just fine as a game mode within a game so i don't see it going away.
BR can literally be just as common place as TDM if the game can support it

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
The craze in itself i would be surprised if it lasts longer than another 12-15 months, the genre in general is here to stay i think.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The thing with Battle Royale is that it can be in any game and it keeps the game's core mechanics with some tweaks. See Blackout or Tetris 99. It's the new CTF.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see people are starting to come around to BR being a genre rather than a game mode. I remember the opposite opinion being the majority here not to long ago. Any BR needs constant development and support to maintain the player base required to support it, and any BR mode that is just tacked into another game will die in a few weeks once players return to Fortnite/PUBG/Apex.

However, due to BR needing to be continuously supported and have a consistently large player base, I imagine it will be a genre similar to mobas where is incredibly popular but is dominated by a handful of games that nobody can really compete with.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I think the MMO comparison is apt because BR games require a large player base to be functional. If it takes 20 minutes to gather a full group the game is basically over. I agree that we won't stop seeing BR modes in lots of games but I don't think it will ever be as standard as a mode like CTF or deathmatch.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
The craze will only die out as the genre evolves.

This is why stuff like crossplay will have a big push in the future of gaming since there will probably be some game that will try for a 200 or 500 person deathmatch or something.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Like the FPS, platformers, etc. it will stick in the industry. Might fade with time but won't ever disappear.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It'll stop being relevant when it stops being such an on the nose reflection of the unconscious death fantasies of our times.

Or summink.

Jan 16, 2019
It's crazy how most people on this site position them as enthusiast gamers but are so off base about topics such at these

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
It'll be here for a while. It's a new genre that many of us are enjoying. Before BR, I would play Last Man Standing modes whenever available, so this is something I have been wanting for a long time.

It seems like those who don't like BR games are way more vocal about it than those who don't like other genres.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
As long as shooters exist. It will at least be a mode in shooters like death match is.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Around the same time of the MOBA's. It will grow, it will reach at a peak that two and three and all the rest will collapse, it will decline a little and it will stabilize. Ten or so years, till the next crazyness, I believe.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
BR ascendancy will last another 4 years probably, similar to MOBA ascendancy, but the game type is never going away, just like moba

GET READY FOR A HOT TAKE:
Autochess style games are going to have a mini-renaissance in a year or two, sort if like how LoL and SC2 competed for awhile, it will be autochess and BR. AND, 5 years from now, RTS will be back in a big way