• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Year

Votes: 36 7.2%

Votes: 240 48.1%
  • 2028+

Votes: 223 44.7%

• Total voters

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
With the current covid situation, chip shortages, game delays and possibly much longer cross gen period when do you guys think these consoles will be replaced by new ones?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
7ish years with a mid gen refresh, so 2028ish imo before PS6/Xbox weird name

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
2005 - 2013 = 8 years
2013 - 2020 = 7 years
2020 - 2027/28 seems likely

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
7 years between PS3 and PS4. I'm thinking the same for PS5 and PS6. November 2027.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I could see this gen lasting 8 years like the PS3/360/Wii one just because 2021 is going to be backing everything up with the delays and whatnot. Not to mention 2021 is a wash for a lot of people wanting new consoles since demand is insanely higher than the current supply.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
About as long as the previous one.

Moreover, 3.8 ghz~ (8C/16TH) CPUs and 9.7TF/12TF GPU + high-speed storage, on paper is a much better baseline compared to the previous-gen. Still insane considering the price imo XD

Perhaps even longer considering that the launch in 2020 and 2021 are really scarce in availability.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
At worst it'll potentially be delayed by one year, so 2028 instead of 2027 imo

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Looks like i'll maybe get my 3060ti in 2025 considering production issues across all GPUs, at which point the market for 'next gen' games will primarily be driven by consoles because the only people who have raytracing-capable PCs will be an extreme minority.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Since the 9th gen started with Switch, this gen is going to last over 10 years 😏

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Since the 9th gen started with Switch, this gen is going to last over 10 years 😏
Aaww shit...here we go.....

I played it safe and said 2027. I dont see Sony or MS doing a Pro version. I think it could be a normal one for them.

Nintendo....not even sure how fit into all this now.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Same as always. 5-7 years.

Nintendo is in its own swimlane honestly.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I think COVID will extend this gen by at least a year. We will be playing catch up for the rest of the generation.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony and MS should push backwards and forwards compatibility and shorten the length of generations. I'd like to get new console every few years.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Considering that generational transitions happen to allow console hardware to catch up with tech advancements, I'd guess it would be the same 7 years. Nvidia is going to move to 5nm, 3nm and finally 1 nm by that time. And their DLSS tech will only keep improving. As such, in 7 years, the latest Nvidia GPUs will be capable of things far beyond what's possible with console hardware. Sony can't wait too long for the fear that Microsoft will release a powerful next-gen console early, Microsoft can't wait too long for the same fear, and so both will be forced to stick to the usual timeline.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not expecting the next-generation to start until the end of 2027. Given the comparative power (and likely expense to develop) of the current machines both Sony and MS will likely want the same 7 year life cycle of the PS4/XB1, if not more.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
With the normalization of mid-gen upgrades and the key part shortages early on, I think we're in for a long generation. Like 8-9 years.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
2027, no mid-gen upgrade. I think we'll see new form factors with minor feature changes (slim models) but no substantial spec bumps.

While I ended up an immediate adopter of both the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X last gen, I don't think they sold well enough on the whole for either manufacturer to care to try and research and develop one this generation, especially since the general pricing for the "standard" model (PS5 with disc drive, Xbox Series X) has gone up substantially compared to the baseline last gen, and there's little spec difference between the machines so there's probably a sense that releasing a new spec machine will upset some developers by creating yet another spec target, especially in a market where Microsoft already has two spec targets with the Series S and the Series X. To be honest, I do doubt that the number of developers that found the multiple spec targets of last gen (and in the case of Xbox, the rolling spec target as it features support for full Xbox One back compat) difficult to work with is high, but I do imagine the few that didn't find it comfortable were quite vocal about it. Purely speculation, though -- admittedly, if there's any challenge issued to prove it, I will come up short. I just imagine it creates some discomfort and dissatisfaction for some.

On the other hand, I could see Sony or Microsoft releasing a spec bump at some point in order to definitively hold the spec advantage at some point in the generation, but either one has to be anticipating the other to have a plan to counter it after a year in a way that Xbox One X followed the PS4 Pro by a year. But ultimately, I am guessing the audience of consumers that actually cares enough to invest in the mid-gen refreshes is much smaller than people who just buy the base console and don't mind using it until the next numbered console comes along.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I don't expect this gen to end, to be honest.

Well... not in the traditional sense. I expect it to ultimately become what would be known as the longest "cross-gen" period ever. Probably last 4+ years into the next gen.

They would just become 1080p consoles to the next gen 4K consoles.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I would've said 7 years, but folks in this thread make a good point about how the coronavirus will probably have caused a lasting delay in the generation as well. I voted 8 years
according to wikipedia, the Switch is Nintendo's 2nd 8th gen console and not a 9th

OP
OP
Sid

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I'm not counting the Switch

I don't expect this gen to end, to be honest.

Well... not in the traditional sense. I expect it to ultimately become what would be known as the longest "cross-gen" period ever. Probably last 4+ years into the next gen.

They would just become 1080p consoles to the next gen 4K consoles.
Could you elaborate?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I'm not counting the Switch

Could you elaborate?
I believe, that at the core, what necessitates any new generation comes down to technological leaps. CPU, GPU, RAM and IO.

If comparing the current to last-gen,there are things in the hardware that you can look at and say, "na, last-gen consoles will fall behind if anything is made to take advantage of this specific hardware feature/combination of hardware features.

I do not believe that a similar argument can be made when the next-gen consoles come along. Are we gonna have a CPU that is 5-8x more powerful? GPUs that are 4-6x more powerful? 2-4x more RAM? OrIO that is 4-10x faster than what we have here now in 8-12 years?

I think not. And as such, believe that when the nextgen comes along, the technological leap would amount to the smallest ever seen going from one generation to another. The least significant. Think more like going from PS4 to PS4pro than fromPS4 to PS5.

OP
OP
Sid

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I believe, that at the core, what necessitates any new generation comes down to technological leaps. CPU, GPU, RAM and IO.

If comparing the current to last-gen,there are things in the hardware that you can look at and say, "na, last-gen consoles will fall behind if anything is made to take advantage of this specific hardware feature/combination of hardware features.

I do not believe that a similar argument can be made when the next-gen consoles come along. Are we gonna have a CPU that is 5-8x more powerful? GPUs that are 4-6x more powerful? 2-4x more RAM? OrIO that is 4-10x faster than what we have here now in 8-12 years?

I think not. And as such, believe that when the nextgen comes along, the technological leap would amount to the smallest ever seen going from one generation to another. The least significant. Think more like going from PS4 to PS4pro than fromPS4 to PS5.
I think it'll be a pretty big jump next gen, after that I think we would be done with the concept of generations

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Covid alone has extended this gen by a good 2 years more than what it would have been before.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think it'll be a pretty big jump next gen, after that I think we would be done with the concept of generations
I think this gen s already that relly big jump... and that this generation actually marks the beginning of the end of that concept of generations.

there is nothing else that can be added to these consoles that would result or mark a generational shift in hardware design. Nothing that isn't scaleable.

Oct 26, 2017
I could see both the PS5/XSX lasting 9-10 years due to how much longer games are likely to take to make and with how powerful their hardware is. With the Switch, I'm expecting it to last 7 years, unless the Switch Pro really helps extend its life or ends up becoming a new base model when the next iterative model comes out

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
2027 - 7 years, no mid gen update, just the standard slim type updates.

these units both releasing with far more competent hardware compared to last gen, in addition to the worldwide chip shortage hampering the next gen gpu adoption will negate the need for a mid gen refresh IMO

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
There was a whole bunch of talk a few years ago about how Microsoft was moving 'beyond generations' i.e. following a patter somewhat like mobile phones with more regularly updated hardware but able to run the same software. That seems to have died down a bit, but I still expect multiple different XBoxes, probably following a X/S pattern with incremental improvements. On that basis the generation will probably last a long time.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I've been treating this gen as a continuation of the last one, not an actual new gen.
So a very, very long time.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
covid slowing down production (and adoption, as a consequence) makes me think that this will end up being a longer gen just because it'll take a while for it to actually be worth everyone's time to target the new systems for development

ScoutJovi

Oct 27, 2020
2028 sounds about right for this gen. 2026 feels to short, especially since this first year is going to be hampered by shortages and game delays. Feel like we will get mid gen upgrades again or at least redesigns id guess 2024/25 that might push for 8K if that actually takes off in any substantial way. That's my main reasoning though.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Just curious -- why have you adopted that perspective?

I'm playing the same games (literally) at higher rez/framerates.
Owned both PS5/XSX since release and haven't bought a single "next-gen only" game.

When I eventually do, It'll just be another game I add to my library in the same ecosystem, but playable on less machines.
To be honest, I knew I'd feel this way since they announced X1/PS4 would be x86 architecture.

Just to illustrate, a couple of days ago I had a mini-LAN with my friends playing Outriders, one person on X1S, another on X1X and me on XSX.

Which is great. But it's not like when I went from SNES to PS1/N64. In any way.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Corona + chip shortages got everything fucked, so I'm expecting a slightly longer generation this time. 8-10 years minimum.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm playing the same games (literally) at higher rez/framerates.
Owned both PS5/XSX since release and haven't bought a single "next-gen only" game.

When I eventually do, It'll just be another game I add to my library in the same ecosystem, but playable on less machines.
To be honest, I knew I'd feel this way since they announced X1/PS4 would be x86 architecture.

Just to illustrate, a couple of days ago I had a mini-LAN with my friends playing Outriders, one person on X1S, another on X1X and me on XSX.

Which is great. But it's not like when I went from SNES to PS1/N64. In any way.

Makes sense, thanks for the break down.

I'm in the same boat myself -- was fortunate and able to get both new systems at launch and have mostly played cross-gen games at higher framerates/resolutions too, the only exceptions being Demon's Souls and Astro.

I don't really perceive the whole new generation as a continuation of the last one, maybe just this current software phase -- not sure if that's what you intended to say. I just asked because I thought you were of the mindset that you're going to hold that perception for the entire haul of the generation.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense, thanks for the break down.

I'm in the same boat myself -- was fortunate and able to get both new systems at launch and have mostly played cross-gen games at higher framerates/resolutions too, the only exceptions being Demon's Souls and Astro.

I don't really perceive the whole new generation as a continuation of the last one, maybe just this current software phase -- not sure if that's what you intended to say. I just asked because I thought you were of the mindset that you're going to hold that perception for the entire haul of the generation.

Well yeah, I do expect to feel this way for the duration, I kind of bought into the MS view of how generations will work. And they convinced me even further when they release their mid-gen refresh with X1X.

I'm hugely into PC and when I saw that with x86 consoles will retain BC going forward, in my mind, proper console generations were over and done with forever.

I'll still abide by gens because it's easier to reference periods of gaming history that way, but it'll feel more like smartphone upgrades than what gens used to be.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
2027 at the latest. The gen is going to be long in the tooth by then. Gamers will want a refresh and somebody's going to step in.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Mid gen refresh with dlss support and this gen could last very long (and that's positivt). If next step going to be 8k simultaneously as the Industry is fokusing on subscription services where there is important that so many as possible can subscribe ..... This generation will probably be the absolute longest so far.

My guess is 2029/2030. Would be nice if someone could quote me 9 years from now and remind everyone that i was right.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well yeah, I do expect to feel this way for the duration, I kind of bought into the MS view of how generations will work. And they convinced me even further when they release their mid-gen refresh with X1X.

I'm hugely into PC and when I saw that with x86 consoles will retain BC going forward, in my mind, proper console generations were over and done with forever.

I'll still abide by gens because it's easier to reference periods of gaming history that way, but it'll feel more like smartphone upgrades than what gens used to be.

Ah, yeah, I see that perspective too. I can't help but still expect a sort of "this is finally next-gen" moment to come up and kinda change the landscape definitively, though. I, however, sometimes believe that might be a bit misguided, and honestly I feel like the 60fps upgrade over last gen that we're currently experiencing is shifting my hopes and expectations for the long term, too. At this very moment, sight-unseen of what these new consoles could potentially do in terms of graphical fidelity after a few years, I would say that I'd almost prefer games to stay at this fidelity and continue to target 60fps (or 120fps for fast-paced multiplayer games). But I get you, no argument from me, just thinking out loud and riffing off your responses. :)

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Too many early takes here.

Not saying that game design will drastically change, but give it a few years until we see what these new consoles can actually bring. Something like Ratchet and clank is just scratching the surface and is an indicator of what can be done.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
2027. I'd go for 2026, but I don't think the performance of PCs will be that advanced in comparison by then, so yeah, late 2027.