• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vkandrew

Nov 26, 2017
Dated for 3 months, engaged for 5 months, during which we lived together. Married for almost 12 years. She was 19 and I was 21 when we started dating, everyone told us we were crazy and going too fast and wouldn't last.
Have an almost 5 yr old and an 3 1/2 yr old now. We decided to wait about 8 years to have kids so we could enjoy our time alone for a while. Couldn't be happier.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
We knew each other for about 2.5 years before we started dating and then we were married about 10 months after that. Our 8th anniversary is next week.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Known my fiancé for 7 years. Been dating for about 3 months till i popped the question cause I haven't felt like this about anyone and we get along perfectly. Older and know my red flags and she hasn't hit any. We are getting married this month lol. We just don't see a reason to wait.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Got engaged shortly after dating her for 3 years (Started dating in Oct 2017, got engaged in Oct 2020). We've been engaged for almost 2, and she moved in shortly after we got engaged. Unfortunately Covid and some stubborn family members have put a bit of a damper on our plans to get married (we're highly considering eloping).

My husband and I dated for six months before getting engaged. COVID canceled our wedding so we eloped the same week it was canceled, one month after he proposed. We streamed our wedding ceremony to all our family members on YouTube so they didn't have to travel since we didn't want to put it off. Just celebrated 2 years. Wouldn't change a thing.

Hmm, if you wouldn't mind, could you share more details of your elopement? Did you go anywhere fancy? How did family members feel that you eloped?

Not sure what we'd do but we're thinking of going to the justice of the peace, and then going somewhere overseas, getting dressed all dapper and hiring a photographer to take pictures in some exotic locales.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Think like 7 years or so. Been married for 3. Only lived together for like 2 years so far though. Also we just eloped basically.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Got engaged shortly after dating her for 3 years (Started dating in Oct 2017, got engaged in Oct 2020). We've been engaged for almost 2, and she moved in shortly after we got engaged. Unfortunately Covid and some stubborn family members have put a bit of a damper on our plans to get married (we're highly considering eloping).

Hmm, if you wouldn't mind, could you share more details of your elopement? Did you go anywhere fancy? How did family members feel that you eloped?

Not sure what we'd do but we're thinking of going to the justice of the peace, and then going somewhere overseas, getting dressed all dapper and hiring a photographer to take pictures in some exotic locales.

Not the person you quoted but when me and my wife got eloped my family was esctatic about it. My wife's family is a little hoity toity and wanted the big traditional wedding so we actually didn't even tell them it happened for over a year. That was fun, rememberering to hide our rings and such. Oh and we weren't even engaged before this . Got married and an old folks home lol.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
9 years and counting lol. We're practically married but he doesn't like jewelry and doesn't know what thing to get for a wedding. Business cards? Tattoo? (lolno). Plus hosting a party like that sounds expensive and unnecessary. Might do it for the parents at some point though.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Moved in together after dating for one year, got married after dating for five, and been together for a total of nine years now

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Ex wife, 1.5 years, current and last wife 2 years both duw to long distance dating. Would have been longer if living in the same countrt

slider

Nov 10, 2020
I think around 8 years and had about 3 years living together. And 10 years of marriage since.

I feel really bloody lucky.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Hooked up on the first night. 3.5 years before marriage (she proposed after 2 years). For some reason that stretch seemed longer than the stretch after so far (total being 9.5 years).

Last edited:

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
Just celebrated our 3 year, we dated for just over a year when we got married. Our house anniversary is in the same week as our engagement, my wife's birthday, and our wedding anniversary. Just got done celebrating all of that and it's felt like Christmas.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
14 months, but we kind of knew we were made for each other a while before that. We eloped four months early because I got an internship out of state.

Oct 30, 2017
6 years. Married for 8 now.
Pretty clear we were going to get married for ages, but both of us didn't care that much about paper proof. Did it when we moved countries.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
We were very good friends for 12 years before we started dating. I bought the ring three weeks later, got engaged a month or so after that, and got married less than a year after starting a romantic relationship. Happily married for almost 12 years.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Dated for two years, lived together for one before marrying. Married 14 years next month. I keep telling her she's stuck with me for life.

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
Our eldest daughters are 30... we have three grandchildren... my Mom still wants us to get married *LOL

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
6 years but we were close friends for this 6 and never dated. We were both very broke 20 somethings and undecided what we were going to do with our lives. We didn't get date until we both got our lives together and paid off our debts. That was the best decision I've ever made. We pulled our credit credit history and exposed ourselves. Once we helped each other through that we knew that we could be together for the long term so we got married.

We also had to finish college too.

Edit: been married 12 years this year.

Last edited:

princess_V

Dec 5, 2020

His parents have a beautiful home so we decided to get married there. It was early COVID so everything was closed, and we barely got a marriage license before even the local government buildings closed. My wedding dress was locked up in a bridal store that was also closed, if you would believe it. Ultimately we decided on doing a small intimate ceremony with our photographer and then taking additional wedding photos in my actual dress later. So we have two sets of absolutely gorgeous pics. We did a first look, and made each other drinks. We're both musicians so we played music together before the ceremony all dressed up. We FaceTimed my parents and read a letter mg mother wrote me for my wedding day (she had just had surgery so she couldn't travel.) So that they could still be a part of it.

We didn't know what to expect with eloping but it ended up being such a beautiful intimate experience. My father in law married us, all our friends and family took pictures and messaged them to us for our "wedding album". Nobody had to travel (most of our family is spread out throughout the country) I definitely recommend eloping now. One of my friends ended up eloping on the side of a mountain in winter and her pictures were absolutely gorgeous. The best part about it is you get total control over the environment, setting, and mood. We had actually finished planning our entire wedding and all deposits paid before it was cancelled, and the planning stage was very drama filled. People get so emotional over weddings that aren't theirs lol. Eloping was a relief.

At first we definitely got some pushback. People were very worried that we would regret not having the extravagant wedding that we had planned. But we stuck to our guns that we didn't want to wait. Now our family loves telling people about how beautiful our wedding ceremony was. I definitely think streaming it to them helped. Nobody felt left out that way.

SoWizardBreh

Oct 30, 2017
We started dating in high school, I was 18 and she was 16.

Engaged in three months, married in 5 years. (She wanted to be able to legally drink at the wedding).

22 year anniversary in June!

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
We got engaged after 9 months and married after like a year and half total since we started dating. My parents were a little concerned because my brother rushed into a second marriage that was really rocky, but my wife and I have been really solid. Coming up on our 5 year anniversary.

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
11yrs 2 days dating before getting married. Engaged for 9 years. Celebrated our first wedding anniversary yesterday. We found out we were pregnant with our first child a few weeks after getting engaged, pushed back the wedding and had our 2nd child two years later. Then decided money towards a house was probably more important than spending heaps on a wedding.

After a few years settling into the house and saved enough for a nice wedding we finally did it a year ago. Don't regret they way it happened at all and how long it took.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
4 years.

At year 2 we already had decided that we would marry, so we started saving. I was going to propose officially on our 4-year anniversary on a trip when the pandemic hit. Took me an extra 5 months to create the situation for the proposal, and we married on March 2021

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
4.5 years. but we got married at 28. the older you get, the shorter the time span I'm sure. We lived together most of that time. been together for 17 years.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
3 years. First year: Dating. Second year: Are we going to annoy the fuck out of each other while cohabiting? 3rd year: Proposed marriage, set date one year later to give us an extra year of "are we going to annoy the fuck out of each other while cohabiting?" Coming up on 18 years on 5/15. I have no idea if it's going well.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
4 years, lived together for about 1.5. I think living together beforehand is super important.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
We dated for about 21 months and lived together for 18 of those. We moved quick at the beginning but weirdly the relationship got even better the moment we started living together. I dunno - when you meet the right one everything just clicks and falls into place.

We were both early to mid 30s when we started dating though.

We'll be married for five years this May and marriage has never been so good.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Dated for 2 years, engaged for 15 months. Approaching our 9 marriage anniversary this summer

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
A little over a year. I like to joke that it was a green card marriage, but the reality was she was living on the other side of the planet, and we didn't want to wait to see if she could secure a work visa.

The way we looked at it, her moving over in general was a huge gamble, so getting married "too soon" wasn't really a big concern.

Married for 4 years and have a beautiful daughter now.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
His parents have a beautiful home so we decided to get married there. It was early COVID so everything was closed, and we barely got a marriage license before even the local government buildings closed. My wedding dress was locked up in a bridal store that was also closed, if you would believe it. Ultimately we decided on doing a small intimate ceremony with our photographer and then taking additional wedding photos in my actual dress later. So we have two sets of absolutely gorgeous pics. We did a first look, and made each other drinks. We're both musicians so we played music together before the ceremony all dressed up. We FaceTimed my parents and read a letter mg mother wrote me for my wedding day (she had just had surgery so she couldn't travel.) So that they could still be a part of it.

We didn't know what to expect with eloping but it ended up being such a beautiful intimate experience. My father in law married us, all our friends and family took pictures and messaged them to us for our "wedding album". Nobody had to travel (most of our family is spread out throughout the country) I definitely recommend eloping now. One of my friends ended up eloping on the side of a mountain in winter and her pictures were absolutely gorgeous. The best part about it is you get total control over the environment, setting, and mood. We had actually finished planning our entire wedding and all deposits paid before it was cancelled, and the planning stage was very drama filled. People get so emotional over weddings that aren't theirs lol. Eloping was a relief.

At first we definitely got some pushback. People were very worried that we would regret not having the extravagant wedding that we had planned. But we stuck to our guns that we didn't want to wait. Now our family loves telling people about how beautiful our wedding ceremony was. I definitely think streaming it to them helped. Nobody felt left out that way.

Thanks for sharing, that's a really nice story and glad to hear it worked out so well for you both.

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
Met in September 2008, my last year of college. Friends for a while as I moved off to Dallas and she went to Law School.
Started dating Nov 2012. Engaged a year ish later January of 2014. Moved in together March 2014 (had to hide it from her very Mormon parents). Married July 2014.