• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How many attempts did it take you?

• 1st try, baby.

Votes: 10 2.0%
  • 2 - 10

Votes: 69 13.6%
  • 11 - 25

Votes: 255 50.2%
  • 26 - 50

Votes: 135 26.6%
  • 50 - 100

Votes: 28 5.5%
  • 100+

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
(I'll try to make my OP relatively spoiler free for anyone who might be picking this up)

Picked up this game this weekend and am loving it! Managed to get my first clear today and was curious when people were getting their first clear (I'm sure there is like some super end of the game, but I'm talking after you beat [REDACTED] and get the little victory screen!).

Also would be curious what weapons, how many times you got to the final boss before you managed to beat it, etc. Just tell me about your first clears!! Also if anyone happened to clear their first attempt, I'd love to hear about that--sounds totally unimaginable to me haha

I managed to squeak out my first clear on attempt 25, using a high cheese build (healing sword + a ton of athena boons so i could cry and spam attack to heal while invulnerable)! I had seen the final boss I was say 3 times before? Def feel like I've actually learned a lot of the game, which is really rewarding.

Last edited:

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I lost 5 times in a row before beating Hades on attempt 25 as well. I cant remember the exact build I had but I know it was with the spear and I had Doom with normal attacks could stack.

A friend of mine beat it on attempt 9 - that's the earliest I've heard of.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
On my third run, got a poison build with the shield and I killed everything really carefully and slowly by throwing it.
Was super slow but atleast it worked.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I played a bit last year in early access when there was no act 4. Beat the 3rd boss a few times then stopped. Started a new save when 1.0 was out and I killed the final boss on the 11th run with the Spear, had stacked some Zeus boons and boons that empowered the special. That was the 3rd time I had fought him.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
9 or 10, had a great run with the bow, but tbh it was kinda cheating since I was spoiled beforehand that
Hades had two phases
so I knew what to look out for and played extra defensively which I would have not done if I didn't know.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
First escape after 8 attempts, credits after 25, final big story stuff after 99

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Around run 40 with the bow. I aggressively stayed away from the shield because I found the style kinda boring but I'm also not great at most rogue likes.

After my first clear, I beat my 2nd run using the shield in around 3 more runs.

Thugnificent

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Picked it up for the Switch since it was on sale. I'm loving the game. I love roguelikes (lites?) in general even though I'm not great at them. Coming off of Dead Cells I was disappointed at first that there were only six weapons, but there's so many modifications and varieties through upgrades and boons that six kind of feels perfect.

I ended up beating my first run on attempt 35 using the bow. I got two Daedalus upgrades: the +4 arrows to special and the charge (up to 200% damage) to special. I also got the Artemis boon for your special attack which gives more damage and a 20% crit chance, which I upgraded quite a bit. I forget what other boons I got, but the ones I mentioned were the deciding factor. I would basically just go up to bosses and point blank charge my special and they'd go down with little hassle.

Gods this is a special game.

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Damn, I need to try this doom shield run--I've only done Fists and Sword so far (got to 30% left on the final boss with the gun though...). I've found that now that I've beaten the final boss, a lot of the game feels a lot less overwhelming haha.

On my third run, got a poison build with the shield and I killed everything really carefully and slowly by throwing it.
Was super slow but atleast it worked.

That's crazy fast, wow.

9 or 10, had a great run with the bow, but tbh it was kinda cheating since I was spoiled beforehand that
Hades had two phases
so I knew what to look out for and played extra defensively which I would have not done if I didn't know.

I was not spoiled and so

the first time i saw Hades I was like wow I got him to half health, nbd, and all my friends were just like UHUH. Third time I saw him I hit second health bar and my mouth dropped as I had not been playing with a second health bar in mind haha.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
14nth run, Fists with a Artemis/Athena build.

Really loved it. Now I have at least a completed run for each weapon and had the credits rolling at my 60th run. I am not a Rogue Lite (I dug Dead Cells a lot though) gamer usually, but Hadès is really something special.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
It's a roguelike, so when you die, your run ends. But I don't think there's any sort of death that wipes all of your progress (you keep your permanent upgrades and the like)
That's too bad, I always prefer playing ARPGs or rogue likes in hardcore mode but this still seems like it would be hella fun. I might pick this up

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to get Companion Shady so I did loads of grinding and dying on purpose to advance the dialog, so it was in the 50-100 range I think?

Gave up at some point and decided to actually finish it without it lol.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
9 hours, suprisingly fast but I got lucky with boons. I do feel like 3½ worlds is pretty meager =/

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Hit it on 21 last night. Love the fists to bits and combining them with weak/charm helped massively.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Run 5.

Got up to Hades on run 2, obviously died due to not knowing the moveset.

Runs 3 and 4 had horrid RNG with poor synergy between the boons before I finally got something good on Run 5.

Used the bow as a melee weapon. (exclusive point blank skill 2 spam)

Trickytoon

Jan 14, 2018
Run 46 according to my save file - mechanically I loved the game but it took me ages to pick up on what was going on with the various systems, the feedback loop just didn't click with me.

Definitely my favorite of theirs though, and one of my favorites of 2019.

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Run 5.

Got up to Hades on run 2, obviously died due to not knowing the moveset.

Runs 3 and 4 had horrid RNG with poor synergy between the boons before I finally got something good on Run 5.

Used the bow as a melee weapon. (exclusive point blank skill 2 spam)

Honestly how I prefer the bow. The charge shot just doesn't vibe with my panic dash style haha

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Wow apparently I suck.

I think I'm at run 10 and I haven't even managed to beat the second boss... And only managed to get to that point 2 times so far D:

OP
OP
aiswyda

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Wow apparently I suck.

I think I'm at run 10 and I haven't even managed to beat the second boss... And only managed to get to that point 2 times so far D:

Everyone goes at their own pace!! I recommend finding a build you like and trying to just sort of learn encounters on it--I found that helped make everything click for me. But also I was slower than a lot of other people in the thread haha. I had a tonnnn of trouble with the first boss at first so I probably was also around the 2nd boss around run 10.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
32 playing at my own pace, only using weapons with the dark pact/20% extra darkness offered and not really thinking about synergies until like try 20 or so

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Run 37.

I had the Zeus aspect on the shield, and when I used my special, I had a Zeus boon that launched lightning bolts. With a ton of lightning boost boons, and a health regen boon from Grandma, I beat Hades.

It was fucking tense too.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I'm around my 32 run and I have reached the "final boss" but died on the fight. Hoping to get there today again.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm on my 11th run right now and feel really good about it - might make it this time. Shield, Doom special, reflecting B and lots of evasion and lighting.

So far the show stopper every time has been a combination of butterflies, the little detonating wagons and the archers.

It gets hectic and the room is full of stuff that damages you fast.

Still love the game though. Can see me playing this for a long time. The possibilities to upgrade so many things will only make getting further more fluent over time.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
11th run, once I realised how good the shield was, and had learned to pick up any boon with a reflect effect.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Still haven't won once, but I need to play it more, the game has incredible presentation but the runs are a bit samey so I usually just do one and then I'm done for the day, I'm finding Risk of Rain 2 and Spelunky 2 way more addicting at the moment when it comes to the roguelike loop and they make me restart over and over in the same session.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Welp, I'm over 30th attempt now, and only got to the last world once!
I did beat up the first and second world boss with all the weapons though. And I'm trying to get all the boons for the extras.

I'm playing this game "wrong" I guess lol

Still love it!!!

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Attempt 17 with the shield that I barely even used thanks to an absolutely disgusting build of 4x electrical dashes (with double hit chance & jolted effect) with increased speed and regenerating health.

I just endlessly ran around the fucker until he died.

Died many more times until I was able to beat him a second time.

The Hydra is totally my bitch though. It's the only boss I've never died to, and even killed without taking any damage.

Welp, I'm over 30th attempt now, and only got to the last world once!
I did beat up the first and second world boss with all the weapons though. And I'm trying to get all the boons for the extras.

I'm playing this game "wrong" I guess lol

Still love it!!!

Are you making sure to fight all the mini bosses that you can ?

I used to avoid them early on for fear that they would damage me too much, but the boons are usually too good to pass up.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on try 18 and still haven't, but considering giving the shield another try given all the praise it's getting.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Don't you guys find the game just extremely grindy? I've done maybe 10 runs so far, reached Hades last time but not sure the game is actually over after that.

And like, it's quite fun I suppose, but ugh, having to go through the same stages over and over, wouldn't you have preferred to have more stages and more variation instead?!

I'll just never understand roguelites...

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Got it on my 20th run and third attempt at Hades. Used the spear that when thrown, would bounce off six enemies or something ridiculous and each hit caused chain lightning. It was way overpowered but I feel like it was skill too because I cleared the run immediately after with a not so OP build.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Got to Hades for the first time on run 17, but lost my last death defy on 1st bar and only got halfway through 2nd. Doom Shield.
I got antsy and made mistakes lol.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
25th escape attempt.
Used the Bow. Don't remember exactly which boons I had. Iirc had extra dashes and/or extra speed. Those two are probably the best boons imo.