• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again not HUGE difference. For long term value I would blindlessly go with Qeld over any Oled on the market. You don't have worry about taking extra steps to make sure it doesnt get burn in within a year or so. Qled can last with you for years until you wish to upgrade for better technology not because your tv got fucked

But even the Q90s have the bloom effect / dimming problem. It's fucking horrible imo (especially if you're using subtitles) and for the price of a q90 you could just buy an OLED and be happy.

And even the newer and pricier qleds are doing this.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
But even the Q90s have the bloom effect / dimming problem. It's fucking horrible imo (especially if you're using subtitles) and for the price of a q90 you could just buy an OLED and be happy.

Are there any LED TV's that don't have that bloom effect. I was disgusted by it when I got my TCL 6 tv considering the reviews I read about how good the picture was.

OP
OP
ussjtrunks

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly I don't play a single game longer than the story content, I usually play multiplayer games on pc like fifa csgo etc

I understand a 20-40 hrs game would prob be fine but I do play RPG's which can be 60-100 hrs let's say like persona etc which have HUD's all the time.

I'll watch Netflix and movies on it aswell

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Mostly I don't play a single game longer than the story content, I usually play multiplayer games on pc like fifa csgo etc

I understand a 20-40 hrs game would prob be fine but I do play RPG's which can be 60-100 hrs let's say like persona etc which have HUD's all the time.

I'll watch Netflix and movies on it aswell

again, 100 hours is nothing.

Are there any LED TV's that don't have that bloom effect. I was disgusted by it when I got my TCL 6 tv considering the reviews I read about how good the picture was.

Nope, it's something all LEDs will have. More dimming zones help with it but it will never go away.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I have a tcl 6 and mine absolutely does not do what's happening in those videos.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I got burn in on my LG B7 but it was caused by a panel defect where components behind the screen were overheating and burning the panel. I was able to get a C9 as a warranty replacement and it already seems a lot better. I play a ton of games btw. No burn in from games at all, even on my B7 wheer gaming is what it mostly was used for. I would say if you are going to jump in with OLED, go with a C series and you should be fine. You just need to vary up content from time to time. Don't just play Destiny 2 for 300 hours straight. Don't leave it on a static screen all day..you get the idea.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

This is a 2018 model ? And he literally only showed it in text not actual content.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I saw in a RTings video that subtitles caused burn-in in their tests.

Anyone used subtitles for a long time on their Oled here?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

You'll always have it to some extent, the more dimming zones there are , the less pronounced it will be.

Flagship consumer TVs have over 500 zones.
Reference monitors will have 1000's

The next generation of Dual Modulation systems will have millions

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that's what most of us hard-core gamers do.

There's really no issue with hundreds of hours of the same game, I do this all the time on my C8. You need to play something for much longer to risk burn-in. But people who stick with a single multiplayer game for a very long time should avoid OLED (unless you are playing something with very low contrast HUDs like COD).

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
You'll most likely be fine. Don't let people scare you out of experiencing the pleasure of gaming on an OLED because they are afraid. I've owned a B7 and now a C9. I also max out the backlight and contrast.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Am I the only one not comforted by the word "minimal"?
It's not comforting to me either which is why I haven't bought an oled myself. It's a crap shoot what happens to these displays as far as I'm concerned. I've seen burn in on a friend's oled who watches more tv and movies than they do game, and no burn in on another's who all they do is play games on it. I personally don't feel comfortable spending $1000+ on a TV that I'll always be worried about. My phone which is an oled has severe burn in from watching YouTube too often so I know how badly burn in retention can eventually look. Hopefully the tech keeps progressing and this won't be a worry in the future.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
M'y c6-2016 has so much burnin. From one game (smite) mostly. I'll wait new system to buy a new tv. I'll be more careful

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The most important factor, in my experience, is your OLED brightness setting. If you have that up full blast, you'll get burn in. If you keep it low, you can avoid most of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Budapest
It's been almost a year since I got my LG B8, no issues whatsoever. It also has some cool features like shifting pixels and running maintenance after the TV has been turned off.

I cannot guarantee that you won't have any problems because it's modern TVs we are talking about after all but it is highly likely that everything is going to be fine. Just keep in mind the usual practices like not leaving static images for too long on screen.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
If you switch your TV every 3 years you'll probably not see it. lol I have one and I'm fairly confident that HDR gaming is going to age this panel much faster than a consumer that just watches TV and movies. That's why anyone who says it's a non-issue I tend to ignore because it's too early to tell for certain use cases.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I have a C9 that I use for watching movies and some light gaming. I've had it for about a year now with 0 burn in. It's great.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
A year in on a B8 playing lots of games, some with static HUDs for many hours. No apparent burn-in.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
There's really no issue with hundreds of hours of the same game, I do this all the time on my C8. You need to play something for much longer to risk burn-in. But people who stick with a single multiplayer game for a very long time should avoid OLED (unless you are playing something with very low contrast HUDs like COD).
Again that's exactly what many of us hard-core gamers do. We play the same game for hours and hours at a time.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If you switch your TV every 3 years you'll probably not see it. lol I have one and I'm fairly confident that HDR gaming is going to age this panel much faster than a consumer that just watches TV and movies. That's why anyone who says it's a non-issue I tend to ignore because it's too early to tell for certain use cases.

wise words.
A close friend of mine has burn in from the hud on rocket league on a 2 year old set (he can only see it on solid red screens)
But you'll find countless people saying their TV of the same model is perfect. It can happen just like it can happen on plasmas, despite people using anecdotal evidence to suggest it won't happen.

I think just having some acceptance it probably will is most sensible. Consider it the trade off for having another type of technology that will instead suffer from a different type of problem.

If you know that you are going to rack up 1000's of hours on any one game, then you are going to see something eventually.
If you spread yourself evenly between several games or lots of different games, then you won't see any issues for a much longer period.

This is essentially what we saw with our burn in tests vs want RTINGS did. Neither of us did anything excessive stressful to the sets either (HDR!)

Last edited:

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
It's not comforting to me either which is why I haven't bought an oled myself. It's a crap shoot what happens to these displays as far as I'm concerned. I've seen burn in on a friend's oled who watches more tv and movies than they do game, and no burn in on another's who all they do is play games on it. I personally don't feel comfortable spending $1000+ on a TV that I'll always be worried about. My phone which is an oled has severe burn in from watching YouTube too often so I know how badly burn in retention can eventually look. Hopefully the tech keeps progressing and this won't be a worry in the future.

Could be worse, you could live in canada. The 55 inch B9 is 2300$, the 65 inch is 2800$. With a 13% HST and 37% marginal tax this is 5k of pre-tax income, 3.2 weeks of income for someone making 80k in Ontario. Good thing housing, food and clothes are cheap! Not.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Seems pretty easy, if you're worried about it don't buy one, or purchase an extended warranty that covers burn in.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Could be worse, you could live in canada. The 55 inch B9 is 2300$, the 65 inch is 2800$. With a 13% HST and 37% marginal tax this is 5k of pre-tax income, 3.2 weeks of income for someone making 80k in Ontario. Good thing housing, food and clothes are cheap! Not.
Holy cow. Yeah me saying $1000+ is probably low balling an oled way to much haha
:/

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I have an LG OLED E6 65". What causes burn-in really is unknown to me. They say having static images, but there are images I've noticed in IR (image retention) that was caused by games. However, it goes away.

Although I have a perfect circle, about an inch to inch and a half, at the upper right-ish half of my screen that is burned in. Have absolutely no clue what could have caused it. Haven't played any game or watched any television that would have caused the size and shape of the perfect circle, as well as where it's located. I just noticed it one day.

That said, it's not really noticeable. Looks transparent (color doesn't change at the burn-in) and only see it on red or light tan backgrounds. So I've just learned to live with it.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
From what I read burn in happens the same whether you play the game for 4000 hours straight or 4000 hours over the course of 4 years. It's simply the total time displaying the image, whether it's continuous or not is irrelevant.

Not you

Oct 27, 2017
Some are saying 100s of hours. Don't play the same game too long or vary your content. This is just delaying the inevitable. The burn in problem is cumulative. Everytime a pixel is red, the clock ticks on that pixel. That's why static content is bad, because the affected pixels are showing red often. Watching YouTube for 20 hours a day is the same as watching YouTube for an hour a day for twenty days.

Burn in will happen, it really is just a matter of time. If you buy tv's every couple years who cares, but for people who are on a 5 or 10 year cycle, you'll likely see burnin on your set.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
B7A oled 2017 4k LG tv, and not one issue as far as burn in. I game heavily and I watch youtube and disneyplus and netflix heavily on it. As long as you get 2017+ oleds, the burn in and image retention safety features are great. I am not worried about using it, but I make sure to not use my desktop on it. Purely ps4pro, xbox one x, and streaming via the smart aspects of the tv.

you have
- pixel refresher
- pixel mover / shift for HUD elements
- exploding dots screensaver after a few minutes of static idle screen
- dim mode,
- plus more

even newer tvs dim the logos even more.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017

Not until they have significantly higher backlight zone counts, so maybe a few years later. This is an area where OLED is unsurpassed right now. I don't think the Samsung QLEDs look bad at all for most HDR material but with LG C9 prices being pretty good I see no reason to buy one either.

The worst part about Samsungs is that they are VA panels which still suffer from slow dark transitions which shows up as some dark trails in games. For any other content you are unlikely to care.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Some are saying 100s of hours. Don't play the same game too long or vary your content. This is just delaying the inevitable. The burn in problem is cumulative. Everytime a pixel is red, the clock ticks on that pixel. That's why static content is bad, because the affected pixels are showing red often. Watching YouTube for 20 hours a day is the same as watching YouTube for an hour a day for twenty days.

Burn in will happen, it really is just a matter of time. If you buy tv's every couple years who cares, but for people who are on a 5 or 10 year cycle, you'll likely see burnin on your set.
in order to get burn in, you need to play the same game like Overwatch for example for 12-14 hours a day for literally 3-4 weeks straight.

When the tv is turned off after every 4 hours of use, it has corrections applied to the image, like a refresh kind of.

Folks can game and have 4-6 hour sessions easily with a new game I do this, I wouldnt worry at all generally. Just vary the content with youtube and netflix at times or movies.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

I mean I have over 7,000 hours on mine and it's clean as a whistle. I dont really see burn in ever showing up on my display TBH, especially considering I use it as a PC monitor 4+ hours a day.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
People keep saying it's a non issue but some games are 100+ hours long these days with static huds any of ye played a lot of games on your oled and can chime in?

Yeah, I play Destiny LOL. 5000 hours past 6 years. I personally would not buy an OLED.

It sucks because, true blacks have no substitute. It's strange to me that with all our tech this hasn't been solved (IE some true black solution without the OLED drawbacks). Plus I love how thin OLED's are, the latest LCD tech like dimming zones actually ads bulk again.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you regularly play the same content with static, brightly colored UI elements, all for 15+ hours at a time, you'll be fine. Have had my B7 OLED since November 2017 and just did a burn in test where you display solid colors and check for any traces of it, my set does not even have the slightest blotch. I regularly play games for hours at a time (longest session was 12 hours and doesn't happen regularly, but 4-5 hours at a time is common.) Netflix, Youtube, Disney+, and Amazon Prime are basically always on, and I've never had an issue. The TV also has a ton of features to help prevent it, like pixel shifting, an automatic pixel refresher when the TV is off, and a screensaver when you leave something paused / on the UI for 30 seconds. Even the "mute" icon blinks in and out to protect you from burn-in. I really don't think it's anything to worry about.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
in order to get burn in, you need to play the same game like Overwatch for example for 12-14 hours a day for literally 3-4 weeks straight.

When the tv is turned off after every 4 hours of use, it has corrections applied to the image, like a refresh kind of.

Folks can game and have 4-6 hour sessions easily with a new game I do this, I wouldnt worry at all generally. Just vary the content with youtube and netflix at times or movies.

Burn-in is cumulative. Varying content affects how the panel ages, but it still ages nonetheless. May be years before you're affected though. Some people were affected in less than 2 years.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
I had a stuck pixel on my LG C8 late last year and no burnin issues. Luckily it was still under warranty and they replaced the whole panel. That said, I'm more worried about stuck pixels now than any other issue this TV could ever have.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Burn-in is cumulative. Varying content affects how the panel ages, but it still ages nonetheless. May be years before you're affected though. Some people were affected in less than 2 years.
Im not trying to generalize, but I am fairly confident that folks with the burn in issues were on tv sets that were 2016 or before. Im not saying it is impossible on the newer sets, but with the safety options it should be far far less.

when we discuss cumulative hours, do we mean... I played 50 hours of DBZKakarot and saw green environments for a majority of those 50 hours, and then I played Shadow of the Colossus or something, and I saw 15 more hours of green content. So later on in the tvs lifespan, the green colors will start to have logos or things burn into them?

You or folks are generally saying that a tv can only do specific things for 2000-3000 hours total before the colors start to have shade variations AND OR , are retained into the image when the picture changes ?