• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly, ours is offering the option to either come in, take PTO or work from home.

Aka time to go through Celeste again.

tumblr_inline_ozscw0loEa1qdiwz3_500.gif

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Amazingly, getting to work from home tomorrow. Schools and tons of businessrs are shutting down so glad that sort of peer pressure is happening.

Treythalomew

Oct 27, 2017
No closures or delayed openings. A poorly thought out shuttle for the parking lot tomorrow and Thursday that originally was going to stop at 3pm until enough people mentioned that probably 90% of the buildings leave between 3 and 6.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
My boss said that the office is staying open tomorrow and if your car doesn't start you can work from home. I opted to just take PTO.

Chicagoland.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be open, but I guarantee hardly anyone is showing up. I'm not doing shit tomorrow.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I live in Austin so nothing is happening here. But back home in Cedar Rapids -10 is just a normal day.

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
Working in MD right now and we do outside work. If it's snowing we're not allowed to be on the roads. If it's just cold, we have to just deal with it. I'm really not looking forward to tomorrow. We're working nights and the low is 6 degrees with 17MPH winds.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I work at a medical college. The school itself is closed but I'm considered essential personnel so business as usual for me

jakncoke

Nov 5, 2017
Work as a garbage man so im always in the elements and they dont change schedule. A couple years ago it was -30 out and we picked up garbage as usual.2 different trucks 1 driver and 2 men in the back feeding the packer. Suppose to be -10 or so tomorrow morning with wind chills around -25/30

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Where are you located? Chicagoland area is reporting frostbite within five minutes of exposure in these conditions.

My company is all across Canada (railway) so pretty comparable temps to wherever. I'm on the west coast so thankfully away from this weather system but I've done my days in - 60ish weather for 8bhr yard shifts. Fuck that noise lol

Professor Lich

Resettlement Advisor
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Our office closed. We're in Michigan, near Detroit. Sad to miss a day of pay but I can catch up on my sleep.

Christor

Oct 25, 2017
The company is telling us to just stay and work from home, and for two days. The office will be closed.
I'm in downtown Chicago.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I work at a hotel, so the extreme cold means less people checking in because they're trapped due to weather and more people extending their stays because they're trapped and can't go back home.

Pretty much a wash. But I also live thousands of miles away from the shitty arctic weather. Still feel the impact nonetheless.

Dec 31, 2017
Nonessential employees were told not to come in Wednesda and Thursday. Use vacation or sick.

I'm still in probation and can't use my time off until 2020 so I'm just gonna be out 300 bucks next check.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I work in Finland. Extreme cold doesn't ever lead to any special arrangements regarding of school or work as we are used to it (well back when I was in elementary/junior high school during the worst cold days you didn't have to go out during breaks but you still of course had to come).

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Our Corporate office in Cleveland wouldn't close for Nuclear winter, they said normal OP, but my immediate managers said we are working from home the next two days. It's ridiculous, some people have a long walk in to the office because they don't offer parking, and that's stupid to ask people to walk in that shit.

Just because you can go through extreme cold doesn't mean you should. The biggest issue that the area just isn't prepared for it and since it is so rare people here don't know how to properly prepare. I think if I lived in a place like the poster above me I'd be more okay because it would have been a more normal occurrence and more people, and their kids would be prepared and safe.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
No matter what, I have to put eyes on the data rooms. We have environmentals but I still have to check the generators and stuff.

It sucks.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I work as a sales rep for a big wine and spirits distributor in the Chicago suburbs..I've been w the company for 5 years and this is first time they've shut down for weather related reasons..they're closed Wednesday and Thursday.

Others who've been w the company for over 2 decades said they've only shut down for weather once before. All deliveries, office operations and sales people have been told to stay home. My wife's company just announced they are closing down tomorrow as well.

Tomorrow morning in Naperville it's gonna be -24..that's actual temperature without windchill..yeah I'm gonna be playing video games. Stay safe and stay warm my fellow Chicago and Midwest people.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
We're supposed to come in.

Whether or not I magically get an illness and have to use my sick time remains to be seen. The thing is, my commute involves half an hour of walking each way and if it really is -50 wind chill I might just go "Fuck that shit".

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It was -31C here today, which isn't uncommon for January and people are generally prepared for it. I'm not sure any business in the city is shut down today.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm outside of Philadelphia and we'll be shutdown Thursday and Friday (managers have to come in). We'll likely be running Saturday though

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My job is kind of odd. They would just about never shut the place down, but they also don't make a big deal about you calling off at all. So, pretty much every weather situation is up to you to decide, they won't pressure you to be there, but also won't blatantly tell you to stay home.

I'm located in Champaign Illinois. It is beyond freezing feeling already. And crazy that we are supposed to be back up to the 30-40s by the weekend.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Office decided to shut down for tomorrow this afternoon. I wasn't going in either way. Fuck driving to work and getting stuck there if my car won't start.

stormplyr

Oct 29, 2017
Our auto shop in the Cleveland area will be open. It's unheard of for us to close and I'm sure all the local dealerships will be open as well. Weather forecast is predicting wind chills as low as -35 degrees. I'm sure we'll still have idiots out and about just to get an oil change done.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I could WFH any day of the week for any reason as long as I'm producing results, but I prefer the office chatter and buzz.

Most people here can as well.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Took a vacation day today, office closed at 4pm. Office closed tomorrow, but expected to work from home. If I need to I'll take another vacation day on Thursday. The commuter trains will likely be a mess. My office is in the west loop of Chicago.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Detroitschland. You either come to work or don't get paid. And I need the money. At least I don't have school tomorrow.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everything is closed down tomorrow. Nobody wants to do anything here x.x

Thankfully, I'm on vacation as is, but... can't imagine going to work in this if I did have to.