• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've gotten quite behind on this thread, but I assume the homebrew that was mentioned in the first page is out?

To get right to the point, is it possible to play PSX games with hacks applied? I would be interested in things like Xenogears with faster text speed (I seem to recall there was also a mod that had Japanese language with subtitles) and Suikoden II with an improved translation.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
I've gotten quite behind on this thread, but I assume the homebrew that was mentioned in the first page is out?

To get right to the point, is it possible to play PSX games with hacks applied? I would be interested in things like Xenogears with faster text speed (I seem to recall there was also a mod that had Japanese language with subtitles) and Suikoden II with an improved translation.
I'd love to know, too. Is there a single best informational/instructional resource for what you can/can't do with PSX games (mods, resolution tweaks, etc.) on a homebrewed PSTV--particularly for dunces like me who've never done such a thing to a system before?

Shinriji

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

PSX, I really don't know. It is possible though mod PSP and Vita games.

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017

The Xenogears faster-text-speed-thing appears to be a GameShark code. Apparently, those can be applied with the cwcheat plugin in Adrenaline. It may-or-may-not be a bit fiddly -- I haven't done much more than cursory Googling, and the results I'm pulling up look a bit stale.

Translation/language changes would be patches applied directly to the ROM images while they were on your PC, before you copied them to the Vita. This pretty-definitely would work.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Xenogears faster-text-speed-thing appears to be a GameShark code. Apparently, those can be applied with the cwcheat plugin in Adrenaline. It may-or-may-not be a bit fiddly -- I haven't done much more than cursory Googling, and the results I'm pulling up look a bit stale.

Translation/language changes would be patches applied directly to the ROM images while they were on your PC, before you copied them to the Vita. This pretty-definitely would work.

Good to know.

Are there idiot-proof instructions for getting the PSTV hack working and adding these games afterward?

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
Good to know.

Are there idiot-proof instructions for getting the PSTV hack working and adding these games afterward?

Not really. Idiots keep stepping up their game. Doesn't help that the Vita's hacking community hasn't gotten around to applying the level of polish that the 3DS's has.

In brief:
  • https://vita.hacks.guide/ for the exploit (H-Encore for 3.68; H-Encore + enso for 3.65) install.
  • To run games off of USB or SD2VITA, you'll need a plugin. I'm partial to StorageMgr. The instructions seem pretty straightforward to me, but people seem to keep screwing it up. YMMV.
  • To improve Vita game compatibility with the PSTV, you'll want a utility to clear out its blacklist/whitelist (one of those...). (My PSTV is gathering dust, so I'm a little fuzzy on specifics here.) AntiBlacklist is available on the Vita Homebrew Browser, and might (?) be the latest and greatest tool for the purpose. There are also a couple plugins that fake Vita sensors that the PSTV is missing: FakeCamera, and DSMotion. They appear to be on VHB too.
  • Install Adrenaline for proper PSP/PSX support. I recall needing a couple plugins to run patched games... (*looks up filesnames*...) npdrm_free and pskeysgen (?). Those are PSP plugins, so the installation process is completely different from Vita plugins. Good luck.
  • You'll have to figure out cwcheat on your own. I think I saw an "Adrenaline-compatible" build on GBATemp (via a Google search), but I have no idea if it's necessary or relevant since Adrenaline was patched to be cwcheat compatible.
  • Translation patches usually have batch files to run to merge them into their ROM images in their ZIP/RAR archive. Again, you're on your own. Note: for actual Vita game patching, you'll want to look into rePatch.
  • And, there are a bunch of other plugins and utilities for various purposes -- overclocking, and library organization, and interface tweaks, and save game backups, etc.... Check out the /r/vitahacks subreddit, and the hacking & homebrew subforum of GBATemp for the latest developments.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Got an SD2Vita and followed the apparently straightforward instructions to the letter and now all I get is file corrupt when I try to run anything. Luckily I'm on 3.68 so I can just restart the vita and redo the H-encore file but man this is confusing as hell.

Shinriji

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say that I'm enjoying my vita again with all those improvements that the hacking scene brought recently (overclocking, resolution fixes).

Seeing the most graphically intensive games in all their glory (like Killzone Mercenary, UMVC3, Dragons Crown) shows what the vita could have been.

The last thing that I want to do is translation patches, but as far as I know, isn't possible right now with original JP carts.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got an SD2Vita and followed the apparently straightforward instructions to the letter and now all I get is file corrupt when I try to run anything. Luckily I'm on 3.68 so I can just restart the vita and redo the H-encore file but man this is confusing as hell.
I had the same issue before. Use the Autoplugin program instead of doing it manually. That's what worked for me.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the vita able to seamlessly emulate the psp?
Then how is it able to emulate the psp emulating the ps1?

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
How is the vita able to seamlessly emulate the psp?
Then how is it able to emulate the psp emulating the ps1?
Iirc the Vita actually contains some PSP hardware inside it so it's able to play the games natively just as if it was an actual PSP. The PSP also had a PS1 emulator which the Vita then uses for its PS1 Classics, although this article from Eurogamer says that PS1 games may have run natively on PSP and therefore they would on Vita as well.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iirc the Vita actually contains some PSP hardware inside it so it's able to play the games natively just as if it was an actual PSP. The PSP also had a PS1 emulator which the Vita then uses for its PS1 Classics, although this article from Eurogamer says that PS1 games may have run natively on PSP and therefore they would on Vita as well.
Interesting. Thanks. :D

Shinriji

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VitaGrafix Configurator 1.0 released

- App that creates an easy to use GUI for configuring Vitagrafix options without have to mess around with a config file.
- Excellent for games that are disabled by default (like Hatsune Miku and Killzone Mercenary).

The homebrew community have released a lot of good stuff recently.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I need help.
I am trying to connect my vita to my windows 10 pc and I keep getting the cannot connect issue
I have tried the following:
Nothing works. The worst thing is, I have 2 vita, a 1000 and a 2000, both have the same issue. What the hell is this? Searching online and so many people have the same issue. Yet none of their solution works for me.
what else is left to do?

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I need help.
I am trying to connect my vita to my windows 10 pc and I keep getting the cannot connect issue
I have tried the following:
Nothing works. The worst thing is, I have 2 vita, a 1000 and a 2000, both have the same issue. What the hell is this? Searching online and so many people have the same issue. Yet none of their solution works for me.
what else is left to do?
Have you tried connecting wirelessly? You're not running both of the programs at the same time either, are you?

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
Also it has to be usb. I am trying to havk one of my vitas.
What? No it doesn't. Wireless works just fine. Heck, it's the only way to hack PSTVs. (that, or ethernet...)

If you're pre-3.68, and it bitches about the version when you try to connect, just change the vita's Primary/Secondary DNS servers to "212.47.229.76".

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
What? No it doesn't. Wireless works just fine. Heck, it's the only way to hack PSTVs. (that, or ethernet...)

If you're pre-3.68, and it bitches about the version when you try to connect, just change the vita's Primary/Secondary DNS servers to "212.47.229.76".
What???
I thought it has to be usb.
Thanks I'll try again today.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I can confirm you don't need USB for it. I hacked my PSTV entirely through wireless with no problem.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

I actually managed to make the usb work buy installing another driver. Thanks!!
Questons?

I tried some gba games and both mgba and retroarch have cracking sound for some games like metroid zero mission. Is that a know issue?

Shinriji

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually managed to make the usb work buy installing another driver. Thanks!!
Questons?

I tried some gba games and both mgba and retroarch have cracking sound for some games like metroid zero mission. Is that a know issue?

If you didn't already, install lolICON and overclock the vita. It will reduce the crackling sound and almost fix the framerate.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
I'd recommend installing Adrenaline and using the GPSP GBA emulator for PSP instead. It performs much better than any native Vita GBA emulators, though I'd assume its a bit less accurate considering it was made to run on a PSP

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So I googled but I really don't know the best sources, but what's the best guide to learn how to use these sd adapters and installing homebrew? I'm at 3.68 firmware version

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So I googled but I really don't know the best sources, but what's the best guide to learn how to use these sd adapters and installing homebrew? I'm at 3.68 firmware version
I used this site https://vita.hacks.guide/

Also if your buying a sd card you should absolutely make sure its a genuine card, use H2testw on it (can take a long time on larger cards). I got what I thought was a real 128gb card from amazon (the main amazon seller, not a 3rd party) and I kept getting strange problems like dissapearing files and errors when trying to start apps. Ran this and found errors on the card, thankfully I was still able to return it.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I used this site https://vita.hacks.guide/

Also if your buying a sd card you should absolutely make sure its a genuine card, use H2testw on it (can take a long time on larger cards). I got what I thought was a real 128gb card from amazon (the main amazon seller, not a 3rd party) and I kept getting strange problems like dissapearing files and errors when trying to start apps. Ran this and found errors on the card, thankfully I was still able to return it.

Thanks!

For what I understand, you have two options, either installing the exploit on the Vita Memory Card, or through a SD adapter? Or you install it on the Memcard and THEN you can use the SD2Vita stuff as storage?

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
So, I've learned that you can now install Henkaku on 3.68 firmware.

However, apparently you also have to reinstall everytime you boot the device. Should I just wait for the update that makes it permanent or is that ways off?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017

However, apparently you also have to reinstall everytime you boot the device. Should I just wait for the update that makes it permanent or is that ways off?
I doubt it happens anytime soon. All you need to do to activate it on a 3.68 Vita is click a bubble after you boot. It literally takes 2 seconds.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
This won't happen, Sony patched the permanent exploit.
It's only required once each device boot, sleep mode doesn't affect it at all though, so it's really a non-issue.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I am thinking of getting a Vita. Question - is the process as easy as the later PSP firmware versions (post Darkalex m33, where you had to buy a Pandora battery, etc.).

I am always seeing SD2VITA. Do I require that to be able to install CFW, or can I just use a standard SD, and do everything via USB (or if there is an installer you can run on Windows). Thanks!

Deleted member 10549

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am thinking of getting a Vita. Question - is the process as easy as the later PSP firmware versions (post Darkalex m33, where you had to buy a Pandora battery, etc.).

I am always seeing SD2VITA. Do I require that to be able to install CFW, or can I just use a standard SD, and do everything via USB (or if there is an installer you can run on Windows). Thanks!

It depends on the firmware of your Vita. If you're running 3.60 then it's literally clicking one button in internet browser. On 3.68 it's a bit more complicated but still pretty easy, no hardware mods needed. As for SD2VITA, you will firstly need special adapter which you can get for few bucks. Then you need to download drivers and install them. You don't need it to use CFW. It's just alternative if you don't want to use expensive Vita memory cards.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Hey everyone I'm looking to mod my Vita. I'm on version 3.68 which should be compatible but everytime I launch Content Manager to connect to my computer it keeps telling me to update the system software. Restarting the Vita doesn't do anything, it keeps happening.

Any tips?

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone I'm looking to mod my Vita. I'm on version 3.68 which should be compatible but everytime I launch Content Manager to connect to my computer it keeps telling me to update the system software. Restarting the Vita doesn't do anything, it keeps happening.

Any tips?
Did you do the DNS thing in the guide? And are you using Sony's official content manager, or QCMA?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Did you do the DNS thing in the guide? And are you using Sony's official content manager, or QCMA?

Using Sony's official content manager, is there another one I should be using?

I did the DNS steps, it still told me to update but after a few tries it doesn't anymore. Now that the Vita is connected to the PC I select "Trim h-encore to ~13MB" but the SELECT GO option doesn't appear so I'm stuck again. Any help would be much appreciated.

Even though the Vita is connected, the final h-encore app still says "waiting for connection to ps vita"

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, is there an easy to follow guide for the PSTV?

The only thing I want to do is run PSX games with mods, like Suikoden II with the improved translation or Xenogears with faster text.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
So, is there an easy to follow guide for the PSTV?

The only thing I want to do is run PSX games with mods, like Suikoden II with the improved translation or Xenogears with faster text.
I finally bit the bullet today and did it. Just followed the instructions pretty much verbatim from here:
https://vita.hacks.guide

Took an hour or so, working at a leisurely pace. It is amazing how much better the PSX games look in Adrenaline than with the PSTV's awful, smeary PSP upscaling. And Adrenaline has a fast-forward function, too.

Haven't gotten to the point where I'm working with any mods yet, though.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Is it possible to play games like Birth by Sleep and Crisis Core, or even fan translations? Shame they were never released on PSN.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. You just put your stuff in ux0:pspemu/ISO.
Most PSP translations are patched ISOs, I think, but I haven't checked translations via plugin injection (I think there were some offering it as an alternative in case you wanted to not mess with ISO patchers?).

Unless you mean Vita translations, which I haven't checked if they even exist.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Have a simple question and can't find another Vita homebrew thread. I have a homebrewed Vita that I haven't used since early this year, now I want to use it for PS4 remote play, this obviously require connecting online. Am I fine just doing so and installing the latest official firmware, or is there any risk for the console getting bricked/banned if I do so?

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Have a simple question and can't find another Vita homebrew thread. I have a homebrewed Vita that I haven't used since early this year, now I want to use it for PS4 remote play, this obviously require connecting online. Am I fine just doing so and installing the latest official firmware, or is there any risk for the console getting bricked/banned if I do so?
If you don't care about keeping homebrew than updating should be fine iirc no one has ever been banned/bricked from it, although if you want to keep homebrew you could just spoof the current firmware by setting it to 3.69 in Henkaku settings. This'll let you remote play and keep homebrew