• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed the story. It has a lot of great moments, especially in terms of action and the last few chapters are fantastic.

Auxy

Jan 1, 2018
Newmarket, UK
Pretty generic stuff that you'll predict sometimes, elevated by some really nice looking action scenes. I felt like Rex, Pyra and Mythra were some of the weaker characters—which was obviously a shame considering they're the focus—but they were still pretty alright. Nia was fantastic though, I was always looking forward to seeing more scenes with her and learning about Morag.

I feel like Golden Country had a tighter little story and cast that I enjoyed more, but still failed at showing all that was needed from it. The whole package is a good experience regardless that I might go through again one day just because of the amount of content and how flashy and fun the combat can be, but all in all it really feels like a higher budget Tales Of entry to me. Fun, tropey, nothing to write home about but a fun time sink with some enjoyable enough characters.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I have a pretty high tolerance for Tales style shounen stuff but I couldn't take any more after about 30 hours of Xenoblade 2, some of the worst dialogue I've ever seen in a game. Maybe the actual main story got interesting later one but I doubt it

By comparison I loved the first Xenoblade but found X boring

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you played Tales of Games you can easily get into this game because the story is way superior. It also has neat callbacks to the old games. First half is setting the world up with some anime cliches here and there which are not bad. The second half is amazing though and The Golden Country Torna is an amazing DLC with a story which is serious from the begining. Torna DLC also has one of the better woman main characters in all of gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the late game lore stuff but the actual overall plot, characters and delivery of these things was awful for me. I much prefer xbc1 in that regard. XBC2 is a really fun video game to play but yea, it didn't leave me with much storywise. Hoping for something totally different in the next outing.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in chapter 5, the story has been okay but filled with little nuggets of potentially more interesting things later down the line.

However I speak for everyone (jk... kind of) when I say that Tora is garbage city and that the Nopon need eradicated, we don't need a Nopon bastard party member in every game, you hear that Monolithsoft? Poppi is awesome though.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
It's sincere and earnest, if you like mecha anima with a big heart (i.e. Gurren Lagann) you'll like this.

TLH

Oct 29, 2017
It relies too much on anime tropes to build a connection to the characters. If you don't like this kind of stuff (also shown in the videos linked in the other posts), you will not build a connection to them and not really care about what happens in the story. If you don't mind these things, you will enjoy it, I guess.

I found that the abundance of tropes made the story worse and I didn't feel that the story as a whole was well-written. I think this post summarizes it well:
Had potential, squandered most of it on generic pap, then rushed to a conclusion.

The Torna DLC does not suffer as much from this problem. I enjoyed the DLC's story much more even though it is much shorter.

YeahYeahDawg

Nov 13, 2017
The game in itself is one of the biggest dissapointments of the generation for me. I gave up about half-way through because the story wasn´t even remotely close to get its hooks in me. And with a way less interesting and poorly designed world IMO, there was just no incentive to keep me going..

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
It is worth it for the story of this guy alone.
maxresdefault.jpg
Came in expecting trash, contrived Organization XIII reject, gets a fairly well written villain who I can sympathise with.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's way better than Xenoblade 1, and the ending of every chapter besides 4 is always so emotional that got me to tears the first time. And the ending of the game is top notch.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
It starts super silly and anime but it gets better and the second half is just great, what you'd expect from Monolith Soft.

Torna DLC story is also great from start to finish, arguargbly better than Xeno 2 (it removes the embarassing moments and the overall tone is more mature) but you should play this only after beating the main game imo.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
It's okay. The characters are fine, just not a fan of Rex's archetype. The world is unique. Some interesting twists and turns. Overall, its okay. I liked XB1's world and characters better. I am near the end but I dropped off completely. Ending was spoiled on me but I may pick it back up in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Really good. In fact, it gives the story in the original better context.

Also, some people seem to miss the joke about the whole Shonen direction, the game is completely self-aware of what its doing.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I finished playing Xeno1 after finishing Xeno 2 and the connection those two games had blew my mind. The game is pretty tropey a lot of the times, but the story gets better as it goes along. I still think Xeno 1 had the best story out of the three games though.

Petete

Oct 26, 2017
The story is far worse than Xenoblade 1. The only moment when equals the first game plot, is starting chapter 9.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
It's not as good as 1 or X, plus they added a lot of really questionable perverted anime stuff.... so I was pretty let down by the story despite having a few really inspired segments. The Torna expansion is pretty good, though.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I think the story was great and had some cool idea's. There are some cringy bits in it though but it never bothered me.

Rex doesn't really behave like a human being but that's something I've come to expect in Jrpg's lol

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also never played it but if it's anything like XC1, the gameplay's pretty annoying with the whole auto-attack thing, but the story is super engaging.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
The bones of it aren't bad but in practice its mostly cringe and probably my least favourite part of the game. Rex's terrible voice brings down most scenes.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the story quite a bit, and I don't play that many JRPGs. Yes, it's very shonen anime at points, but I legitimately liked all the main characters, and the ending is very satisfying. Compared to XBC1, it probably has a slightly weaker overall plot, but the characters and payoff are stronger in XBC2 making it the stronger game for me.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it, but it does start a little slow and build as the stakes rise and the characters put themselves out there and become less tropey. It's very shounen but generally I found it to be like shounen in the good ways more often than the bad ways.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
It's pretty great imo.

There is a very noticeable lull around chapter 4, which took so much wind out of the game's sails that I had to take a break because I felt burnt out. However the whole second half of the game is a emotional ride and is genuinely brilliant.

So yeah if you can psyche yourself up to make it past the chapter 4/5 slog then you'll be in for a treat.

Also surprisingly has some of the best villains of any RPG.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love xenoblade and xenoblade x. One of the best jrpg for me. But for some reason I couldn't play this one. Stop at chapter 4-5 and never went back.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
The overall story is pretty generic but the last quarter or so of the game is pretty awesome, if you played the first XB especially.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
There's a lot of Moe-trope checkboxing but otherwise it's a traditional Hero's Journey plot told with expertise I think, with genuinely dramatic twists and a core theme that keeps resonating until it culminates in the denoument at the end. It's a grand journey and it can give you shivers for how well executed it is on a writing-level and presentation level.

The only issue is that you can sometimes tell they split each chapter up rigidly between the two writers, which occasionally formed sudden shifts in character development as if they hadn't communicated enough about where things were going. Specifically I felt Nia as a character shifted too much between being humanized and introspective to suddenly being tropey "I am the protagonist's waifu" kind of character. There's stuff between chapter 7 and 8 that irritated me.

The ending I haven't really been able to put into words but in the moment it feels amazing. You can, however, also tell that by the end the story would vaporize if they took it any further. They really closed the book on every concept they had come up with at the end, and while I'm not sure all of it was self-explanatory by then, I did feel a great sense of closure, and dramatically the final cutscene really made my heart race. It's a bold and interesting ending I think.

I think Torna is my biggest issue honestly. They end up feeling like the signature Nomura characters who have been mandated to pose in certain ways and say weird things that suits his conceptualization, and then once they fill out their role in the story it's as if they weren't really developed properly. I'm definitely the most Torn(a) on the Torna cast. Malos makes sense but he is kind of an oddball to have as the main antagonist, but the rest, even Jin, I'm not sure I fully understood.

Nov 17, 2017
Very shonen anime but not in a particularly good way. Lots of power of friendship last second power ups that don't feel earned and weird love triangle/harem stuff with the waifus. Pacing can be really inconsistent at times and a lot of the main party are not really likable especially the Rex/Pyra/Mythra trio. The characters that are likable or interesting get sidelined. A number of plot twists along the way but they're all very obvious save for one or two at the very end. Ending twist is interesting because of how insane it is but it's a very Xenoblade twist. There are some emotional moments in the game but I feel like they are never earned so I feel a disconnect between how the game clearly wants me to feel and how I actually feel.

Ahri

Lying PR
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It took me 3 attempts to finally get in the game. Then I couldn't stop.
Persona 5 is among my favourite games ever, but the last chapters are a bit... lacking and too long. On the opposite, XC2 goes up and up in intensity: chapters 8, 9 & 10 are excellent.
Whether it's music, fights, details about the story: everything is going up. One of the best game climax I've seen.

Oh and Jin is an absolute beauty of a character.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. It has some interesting stuff and themes, especially towards the endgame, but it's too tonaly inconsistant for my taste. The relationship between Rex and Pira is creepy as fuck too.

Oct 29, 2017
Personally? I didn't like it.

The villains are boring and under-defined; the overarching narrative doesn't have as much of an impact as the original; and the "twist", while neat, doesn't alter your perceptions of the game in as significant manner as the first game or X.

I wouldn't be surprised if opinions are mixed, though. I'm generally one of those people who were very disappointed with XC2, to the point that I have returned it.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the story, there are some cringey parts but still really fun. The gameplay is amazing though, especially the combat once you really start to dig in and get your equipment up to par and get some of the really good Blades.

It's definitely worth playing!

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It has a ton of cringe moments, but the overall story is terrific, and that final chapter is just:

giphy.gif

It is worth it for the story of this guy alone.
maxresdefault.jpg
I had to play the Torna DLC before I appreciated this guy. Serious spoiler warning:

Him killing Fan la Norne/Haze is shocking when you consider it's a mercy killing.