• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I guess they could create a canon storyline having collected data from what the majority of players chose? What else can they do?

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They could have the living character not matter to much. Have them lead some forces elsewhere. Run into them, some different dialogue depending on who is alive etc.

May 19, 2020
They will either do it the Wolfenstein 2 way or another old game narrative standard: have some half-assed amalgamation of the two choices be the canon choice.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, the answer will likely be that the character will show up for one cutscene and then vanish for the rest of the game. I don't see them going the Wolfenstein route.

The choice was a huge mistake on their part.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Feel like JD being alive will end up being cannon.

With my vision, I couldn't tell which was which and so I accidentally picked JD in a panic.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I don't even understand why it was an option, it was cool but on reflection just makes me wonder how it's going to be handled; so far it seems like it'll be tough to do

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat this like a week ago. I went in basically blind, having beaten Gears 4 ages ago and not remembering much of it. I was pretty impressed by that part. I picked not-JD (Just trying to minimize spoilers here a bit) on accident and immediately regretted it because of poor, stoic Marcus.

God I wish I could just hug him...

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not jd was the correct choice to save, a friend to the end, didn't become a piece of shit like jd did, stayed true to himself, wasnt a Nathan fillion wannabe, Keep jd in the dirt, not jd is best. (trying not to spoil for new players)

Dec 11, 2017
Predictions
JD dead = Marcus Fenix has nothing left to lose and Gears 6 will end with him dying, saving Kait and Del in the process

Del dead = JD is racked with guilt and Gears 6 ends with him sacrificing himself to save Kait

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Yeah, they probably pick one ending and make it canon. Such a heartbreaking decision, because I liked both of them. I saved Del and felt regret right after it because of Marcus. Ah, damn.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
fuck JD

I actually laughed when the decision came up, I couldnt have chosen faster. My best bro or this asshole I used to date? yeah fuck JD.

But for realsies tho, it also makes much more sense narratively, for Marcus's sake.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
My gut tells me JD/Del probably won't even be in the game that much, that would be the easy way to handle it.

I think it also depends who the main playable character of 6 will be. They may not even stick with Kait and we play most of 6 as Marcus or someone else for all we know. I can see Marcus and Kait being affected in different ways depending.

Last theory is that the character who dies ends up being resurrected as a swarm and you have to fight them at some point.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fuck JD

I actually laughed when the decision came up, I couldnt have chosen faster. My best bro or this asshole I used to date? yeah fuck JD.

But for realsies tho, it also makes much more sense narratively, for Marcus's sake.

Word. Del is the only choice here.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Del is a non character who contributes nothing to the story, is about as deep as a puddle and is just... boring.

JD is a much better character than him in Gears 5.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
My gut tells me JD/Del probably won't even be in the game that much, that would be the easy way to handle it.

I think it also depends who the main playable character of 6 will be. They may not even stick with Kait and we play most of 6 as Marcus or someone else for all we know. I can see Marcus and Kait being affected in different ways depending.

Last theory is that the character who dies ends up being resurrected as a swarm and you have to fight them at some point.

I felt bad for Marcus, but also... He has nothing to lose and I'd like to see an unhinged Marcus in Hears 6.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I hope JD lives. Sarge has suffered enough. 😭😭😭

Plus I didn't care much for Del. He was just there as a one liner machine. Which Fahz did better as a comic relief anyways.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Putting Marcus back in the main character role would be awesome. He's more watchable and fun to be with than any of the new cast in my opinion.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Too many unknowns to say, and it depends on how much possibly redundant work they have time for. My guess is they'll have a handful of cutscenes that have mirrored dialogue from both characters, and a handful of cutscenes that play out differently depending on who you chose.

Neither character's death meaningfully alters the course of Gears 5's story, aside from a heartwrenching scene with Marcus (if you chose Del), and I expect it'll be the same with Gears 6 - some dialogue here or there, maybe some minor things play out slightly different, but otherwise fundamentally the same motions in the story.

What they WON'T do, is anoint a canonical choice. You don't throw a huge moment like that in Gears 5's ending, only to then render the choice irrelevant.

Del is a non character who contributes nothing to the story, is about as deep as a puddle and is just... boring.

JD is a much better character than him in Gears 5.

I chose JD for the simple reason that I couldn't do that to Marcus. The man has lost his brother and his wife - I wasn't going to take his son too.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
They gotta do the Wolfenstein way. Also, did they ever reveal who the majority of people saved?

I think the game gives you more reasons to save Del, but on a series wide view JD is the likely choice. It comes down to Del vs taking Marcus' son after he lost his wife, his best friend, his house, his dad and his fucking tomatoes. Needless to say, I picked JD, Marcus deserves a sliver of happiness.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
I hope JD lives. Sarge has suffered enough. 😭😭😭

Plus I didn't care much for Del. He was just there as a one liner machine. Which Fahz did better as a comic relief anyways.

Fahz was surprisingly good. He started as a meh guy but he became much better during the story line. Loved him at the end. He was kinda hilarious in some scenes.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
The thing is, choosing to save JD gives you a really touching scene between him and Marcus shortly afterwards. It's great for both characters.

JD really becomes his own man by the end of the game.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Fahz is basically Baird v2.0 by the end of the game. Which is actually my primary complaint about the game's campaign - it feels like there's a chapter missing, when JD and Fahz suddenly show up again in Act 3. JD is suddenly an apologetic nice guy again, and Fahz is suddenly not the absolute worst. They needed to show what happened to cause that change.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm very curious about this, especially when it comes to the books and such.
Only guess is they'll ignore those characters in such a novel.

Aug 13, 2019
I wonder. It's really weird that they'd leave this decision up to the player considering how much it'd impact the characters going forward. They'd basically have to remove them both or reduce their role in the sequel severely. They could also make an ending canon, and JD's death is the only one that makes sense to me because of the impact it'd have on all of the characters, but Marcus in particular.

I played this with my uncle and he was playing as Kait so the decision was his. In the end, JD died, which I'm happy about because seriously, it's JD. He was boring in 4 and a jackass in most of 5. Marcus is used to losing, anyway.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
They will either do it the Wolfenstein 2 way or another old game narrative standard: have some half-assed amalgamation of the two choices be the canon choice.
Wolf way would be incredible.
But because gears at its core is a coop game. They'll prolly just make mentions of it here and there and replace player 2 with a new character.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The thing is, choosing to save JD gives you a really touching scene between him and Marcus shortly afterwards. It's great for both characters.

JD really becomes his own man by the end of the game.

I really like how Marcus and JD's relationship is handled in the game, and the scene when Marcus hugs him after losing Del made me well up a little. Marcus knows what it's like to lose a brother, and he knows exactly how JD feels and what he needs in that moment.

The opposite choice also leads to a pretty emotional scene with Marcus. I love when Kait tries to put a hand on his shoulder to comfort him, and Marcus pulls away.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Anything less than canonizing the ending where Del lives instead of JD will suck.

Hopefully they thought ahead when developing Gears 5 and already had a clear (and good) plan of how to handle the choice in the next game.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I feel like choosing to save JD makes a brilliant parallel between Marcus and his son. They both go through the act of losing a brother, but this time JD has a father around to help him through it. Where as Marcus found his father and then also lost him within the same short time span.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I really like how Marcus and JD's relationship is handled in the game, and the scene when Marcus hugs him after losing Del made me well up a little. Marcus knows what it's like to lose a brother, and he knows exactly how JD feels and what he needs in that moment.

The opposite choice also leads to a pretty emotional scene with Marcus. I love when Kait tries to put a hand on his shoulder to comfort him, and Marcus pulls away.

Quoting myself from many moons ago. :)

I chose to save JD as I felt he was a far more interesting character than Del.

Fresh off of proving himself a capable soldier in Gears of War 4, JD starts to become reckless in his attempts to not only stop the war, but prove himself. He gets away with a risky play at the beginning of the game, but is scolded by Marcus for his actions. We eventually learn that he made a questionable call when dealing with protestors. And more importantly, he doesn't come clean about it, he's get outed by another squad-mate. The reveal causes a massive rift between him, Del and Kait. It makes us look at our hero, and up until that point, our playable character, a little differently. Shortly after, he concocts another crazy plan, only this time it goes spectacularly wrong. You're not sure if he throws himself into the thick of it as some form of atonement for his previous actions, or if it's because he's being reckless again.

Next time we see him, he looks completely different, acts completely different and you can tell the impact of his cock up has changed him. There's obvious friction between the trio and JD leaves Del and Kait to go on their adventure - he also doesn't show much compassion seeing as Kait has just lost a family member. But he eventually joins up with the pair again in a bid to rekindle their friendship. At first you're not sure if this is the same JD we knew in the previous game or if he's got an ulterior motive. The game does a good job of making you unsure of him. Del and Kait question him multiple times, even when he isn't around.

Fast forward to the end and - if you save him - you see him share a rare moment of tenderness with Marcus, a character who has always struggled to connect with him. Marcus lost his best friend too, so he knows how JD feels. JD tries to brush him off, only for Marcus to reach out a second time and eventually get an emotional embrace. Not only does saving JD set up an interesting arc for the character moving forward, it furthers the father-son relationship between him and Marcus. It even adds to Marcus' character individually.

You feel like Kait and JD are mirrors of each other in some ways. Kait is born with a heritage she doesn't want any part of, while JD is born with a heritage he desperately feels compelled to carry on (to a degree) etc.

Del on the other hand is just, kinda there. He doesn't really grow and evolve. He's got the 'best friend' trope down, spouting witty one liners and explaining the things our main character doesn't understand. But as an actual character with an arc all of his own, he's not as strong as JD in any fashion. You feel like his death will really reunite Kait and JD, and as a device for pushing the plot forward in that way, I think it works really well.

I'd be very disappointed if JD didn't return, because he actually becomes a very well-developed character with real flaws in this game. He steps out of Marcus' shadow by, ironically, failing to live up to his father's standards, rather than meeting them. That's cool.

Seriously, if they screw over Marcus in this last game I'll be gutted. His character deserves better.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Quoting myself from many moons ago. :)

Seriously, if they screw over Marcus in this last game I'll be gutted. His character deserves better.

Yeah, I think that moment is really heightened by the fact that Marcus struggles to connect with or show any sort of over love towards his son - but when he hears Del died, he immediately seeks out JD and hugs him because he knows that pain.

Another small thing I like in the story, is that Fahz at the beginning is entirely selfish and arrogant - but by the end of the game he's running over to help Paduk assist Cole. War, sacrifice and loss makes brothers.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Is there a technical reason why they wouldn't do it the TellTale way, in that it reads your decision from your Gears 5 save? Or maybe they'll go "The Witcher 3 on consoles" way, in that you can choose an answer that you want to carry over and have that be canon for the rest of the game.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
They'll most likely make only one of the choices canon and go on with it.

Is there a technical reason why they wouldn't do it the TellTale way, in that it reads your decision from your Gears 5 save? Or maybe they'll go "The Witcher 3 on consoles" way, in that you can choose an answer that you want to carry over and have that be canon for the rest of the game.

or this.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Keeping Del alive is the braver and more interesting choice even if Del as a character isn't quite good -yet-.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I felt like Del is who Kait would have saved in the moment. Del stood and faught by her side throughout. Plus, I seem to remember thar Del's AI put in a lot of work and saved our bacon more than once in the playthrough.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
They will problably make canon the most popular choice (which I believe was favourable to Dell, also, a grieving Marcus for Gears 6 is going to be awesome).
Or they could do a kojima, don't care about it and continue as if nothing happened.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Wolfenstein 2 split storyline method. You choose at the beginning, the two characters take similar roles in the story and different interactions happen throughout.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the dead come back in some way, most likely as a Swarm general in alliance with Queen Reyna/Myrrah. We already know that they have the power to bring back the dead, so why not do that?

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Either pull an MGS2 and have a canon ending.

Or do what Telltale does and have your choice matter but the characters that could have been killed off fade into a background character without many scenes.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Gears 4 was JD's story, Gears 5 was Kait's story, and Gears 6 will be Del's story. Give me Del of War!

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely interested in seeing how the hell this gets handled, as often the copout strategy is to essentially write off the character so they barely impact what comes next, but Marcus specifically can't be handled like that. His character would be dramatically different based off his son being dead, and his role in the story is too important to just flip flop that decision on. I'm still really surprised this was a choice people got to make as I really don't see an easy way to handle it.