• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Just as terrible as it's always been.

I got Control for free and uninstalled it as soon as I was done with it.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it kinda works, as in I could download, a copy Control someone threw away fine.
On other hand uninstall or updating doesn't work both just get queue and then nothing happens. Manually delete game files & redownload everything.

It's slower than old Steam (which was very slow too when you have thousands of games) and takes almost a minute before it stops lagging on 12 core processor.

Best part is that you don't have to use it. Control launched better from Steam and played whole game without ever launching EGS. (Expect to try to update game, after news of DRM patch, and it never got to actually downloading update)

Definitely something I still want to avoid using.

Yeah, same as Steam/Oculus Store etc. Less than 2 weeks/2 hours I think.

Not exactly, Epic does only have refunds for Games and not DLC and not for microtransactions either. For those parts Steam is still better. (For some other cases GoG is better than both Epic and Steam)

Hopefully, QoL improvements like shopping cart and more robust controller support comes quickly.

Fun Fact: Epic Store has shopping cart kinda (in backend, it's same as unreal engine store). And not just in theory, I actually have done multi product "purchase" of free stuff. (I wouldn't try with real money in game tho)

Seems like they just don't want to enable it.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It would be absolutely nothing to me if it weren't giving away free games like candy

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It took them 10 months to fix their spelling mistake in their Twitter profile name. That's also pretty much the only thing that they fixed until now.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Steam is implementing new stuff while epic still have a store that looks like a student side project. Only good thing about epic game store right now is the free game offering.

Logistic

Oct 30, 2017
it's light, functional and it gives me free games.

it's perfect.
Same experience for me. I'm going to hold off buying certain games as the modding tools aren't in place. I'm sure Nexus Mods will figure something out for OuterWorlds (on GamePass) or <insert other game on EGS>, but I'd prefer to do modding through Steam Community. For example, I'm going to wait on RDR2 on Steam, because it needs significant patches/mod support, IMO, before I jump back in.

All in all, I like the Epic Game Store. No complaints thus far. Even did a refund the other day because I forgot Outer Worlds was on GamePass. Refund went through after an email or two; no problems whatsoever.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
As a service I boot once a week to claim a free game and then never touch it again, it does its job. Sometimes.

asmodejan

Oct 27, 2017
It totally works when I log in once a week to pick up the free games on offer. Other than that, I couldn't tell you, because I've never spend actual money on the store or installed a game. I assume it's ok?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
i bought a borderlands 3 at gamestop and been playing since the game released off and on a few hours a week, no real problems. I've snagged every free EGS game but never played/installed any. I don't really care about friends lists, wish lists, chat, and the million other things steam has that epic doesn't so it doesn't really bother me but the things I do care about -- no extra PC lag when running the client, no weird hoops every time to play the game I wanna play, cloud saves working quietly in the background -- all seem to work fine. It is super weird (embarrassing really) how feature poor the store is given how rich Epic is and how much time has passed since it released.

The only thing honestly missing for me is being able to fund EGS from wallet codes (buy from gamestop, amazon, best buy, etc) since i don't like to give online stores my credit card. I don't even look at the store, I wouldn't mind picking up Control at some point but I won't until either its on steam or there are EGS wallets.

on OPs point though, if you are on PC you really, really, really should just get gamepass ultimate and play TOW with that. There are like a BILLION ways right now to get gamepass EXTREMELY cheap. $1 for 1 month, easy. You get like 6 weeks if you buy a $5 chalupa box from taco bell. Rockstar energy drinks (gears 5) give like 4 weeks i think if you buy 2 cans. Alienware had 1 month codes on their site yesterday. It just goes on and on. You can easily rack up 4-5 months of it for under $10, thats more than enough time to play and finish the game a few times over.

I guess i don't mind the epic store as much because I use the Windows 10 store to play Forza Horizon, Gears 5, The Outer Worlds, and other gamepass games and the W10 store is an ugly, ugly monster you must constantly fight and tame. After that the EGS is a simple bowl of soup.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019

The other side of that coin is that in 10 years when many games that released in 2019 are no longer supported/their developers folded/the publisher moved on (all completely reasonable after 10 years), and only a tiny number of people care about each game, there wont be a good, centralized location for people to help each other fix issues that crop up after many years without maintenance. Even games that are hidden on the storefront and in no way supported at this time like Prey 2006 still have people asking and answering tech questions to this day on the steam discussion forums.

I know people will say "BuT rEdDiT aNd OfFiCiAl GaMe FoRuMs," and while those will help in some cases, the vast majority of old-ass games don't get enough attention for people to realistically find help without a centralized discussion hub like the Steam forums.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
What is so irritating about egs is that they announced "shipped" features and they can still be hit and miss. For example not all games support cloud saves, why is this? Should be mandatory. I picked John wick hex for 7 dollars over the summer and it doesn't have cloud saves. Some of these new free games don't have cloud saves either. Hades still doesn't have cloud saves (another game I bought over the summer for 7 dollars). Otherwise if you just want to play a game it works but basically it's frills free without features like cloud saves at times and no achievements.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Barebones. When EA and Ubisoft have better stores, you know you fucked up.

Only good thing about it is the free games you get.

The Halloween Sale they have now is pretty bad but I guess its because of the number of games they have.

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
EGS uses SteamVR. So features like motion smoothing should just work via that right? I haven't tried a VR game there for a while (I tried Subnautica at launch).

Well yes, it uses steam features. Which is my point. Steam is more than just a storefront, it provides a lot more. The poster I was originally responding to implied that it's just a "storefront experience" and why does it matter as long as you can play the game, but there is more than just playing the game.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
works great for me but i don't care about all the fluffy shit like steam has as i just use them as game delivery services and don't partake in meta garbage

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Never mind lacking features that benefit players - it lacks features that would benefit Epic.

I want to be able to wishlist games and have the store email me when they go on sale, like Steam.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very utilitarian of you to be above fluffy meta garbage like an offline mode.
Epic does have one where you can just skip signing in and play the games that are installed on your PC, though iirc there have been issues with certain games just not being playable. I just checked and all of the games that I have installed were just playable so they may have changed/fixed that since.

Steam's offline mode at times just doesn't work at all so not like Valve's been much better when it comes to making sure people can play games while offline.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I'm not a developer, coder or none of that....but I just don't get how apparently Epic has all this money to throw around at people to get timed exclusives, but stuff like for example, not having a forum still isn't implemented yet. It just doesn't sit well for people like me that look at that and get a little cautious when thinking about buying something from you.

You have money to spend obviously, but aren't using it to prop up the main avenue in which your customers will interact with you?

Last I saw there are no plans for forums, the lack of them was actually a marketed bulletpoint feature of the store. Apparently the steamspy russian guy who runs the whole thing hates them and thinks you should email developers and wait weeks for responses to issues. His backup suggestion to that was to flood the game specific reddits with troubleshooting threads.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It works fine enough for me. Have no issues with it or anything and games launch just fine. It's a bit bare bones feature wise compared to Steam and obviously i will prefer a steam version over a egs version if possible, but i'm not going to skip a game i want to play just because it's only on Epic.

Oct 27, 2017
It lets me download and play some games. Some games have cloud saves. That's about it; it's functional but barebones.