• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I should mention OP that Outer Worlds is available on the Microsoft Store.
That won't be very helpful though. The OP has specifically had issues with Epic not including universal controller support, and the situation with Microsoft Store is even worse.

While Epic is a pointless extra launcher with less features, Microsoft has actually implemented "features" that are bad to you. Microsoft locks down all game folders with their terrible DRM scheme and prevents you from modifying all game files. You can't even run game exes directly which prevents adding them to Steam easily. By default you're even prevented from LOOKING at the files although that can be bypassed. It's like a nightmare version of Denuvo DRM.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ok....I didn't know about this. That's a HUGE issue for me that I wasn't even aware existed
What controller do you use? If you use an Xbox One controller, you'll have no issues as games support that by default.

My only experience with it was playing Subnautica so far (great game, freaking loved it) but had a hell of a time installing it.

I have 2 SSDs in my rig, one small for windows that I dont have issues with reinstalling Windows quickly if I have issues, and one big one for all my games.

EGS would not like me install the game on my games SSD. It would try and fail, give me weird error codes and point me to dead links on their old Fortnite forums.

Once i tried on my C drive and it worked fine.
I have multiple (epic) games installed on my non-C drive SSD and HDD, they all work fine. Maybe it doesn't like where you have it? Are you nesting it far from root? Don't think that should matter but who knows.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 weeks): inflammatory generalisation, accumulated related infractions
I wasn't aware of that...but if true, why not? Is there a sensible reason for that??

Probably to save themselves the headache of trying to deal with the rampant racism, sexism, antisemitism, etc. you see in other gaming places like Steam communities and Reddit. Not every store is interested in catering to Nazis.

Last edited:

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
My experience with EGS, thanks to Control, is a fucking nightmare. Any patch takes loooong to check, download and install. Twice, it insisted I did NOT have it. Added to my performance issues with the game, my most awaited game has become something I fear.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
I have multiple (epic) games installed on my non-C drive SSD and HDD, they all work fine. Maybe it doesn't like where you have it? Are you nesting it far from root? Don't think that should matter but who knows.

I tried doing it on D:\~game~ and doing D:\Games\~game~ and it always came back as failure. It would go through the whole download and install process, but at the very end it would never work. It was strange.

Origin/Uplay/Steam/GOG never once gave any issues doing that. I dont know what was wrong, but I didnt spend anymore time on it.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Buying The Outer Worlds was somehow a nightmare. The page wouldn't even load, despite every other page loading.

The store is garbage, even without its gross abuses of capitalism.

To get to the Halloween sale, you have to click the banner for it, which takes you to a page explaining that a sale is on, with a very small highlighted word to click to get to the actual games. It's like it was designed to be specifically frustrating.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I tried doing it on D:\~game~ and doing D:\Games\~game~ and it always came back as failure. It would go through the whole download and install process, but at the very end it would never work. It was strange.

Origin/Uplay/Steam/GOG never once gave any issues doing that. I dont know what was wrong, but I didnt spend anymore time on it.
Huh, no idea. I have the exact same thing as you with D:\Games\
Guess it was just being messed up.

Teasing_Pink

Oct 25, 2017
Finally had to download it to claim my bundle copy of Control. Am I missing something obvious, or is there really no way to just get an alphabetized list of the games available in the store? Just seemed a random mess of overly large, irregularly sized banners.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
What's more important to you;

1) playing the game you want
2) having a storefront experience

Unfortunately some people need the features Steam has to play games, so basically they need #2 to do #1, even though that's underselling Steam there because Steam just isn't only a storefront and it hasn't only been a storefront for ages. Some people need Steam Proton's mass Linux support to play game, some people need Steam Input's universal controller support & benefit from controller layout sharing to play games. My sis is handicapped and uses the Xbox Adaptive Controller and without the latter she can't really play much, so EGS is ubiquitously a worse option as she can not play some of the games on it.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately some people need the features Steam has to play games, so basically they need #2 to do #1, even though that's underselling Steam there because Steam just isn't only a storefront and it hasn't only been a storefront for ages. Some people need Steam Proton's mass Linux support to play game, some people need Steam Input's universal controller support & benefit from controller layout sharing to play games. My sis is handicapped and uses the Xbox Adaptive Controller and without the latter she can't really play much, so EGS is ubiquitously a worse option as she can not play some of the games on it.

You make some good points. However, if there are no limiting factors to stop you playing the game then EGS serves its purpose as a software delivery platform. Items like forums, achievements etc are not really limiting factors to me.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've found a way to find out if a game is EGS exclusive: The Giant Bomb QL says "My cloud save didn't carry over, so here the first mission".

Pricing is still awful as they seem to be controlling pricing with their authorised third party key sellers. So I'm still out.

OP
OP
"D."

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
What controller do you use? If you use an Xbox One controller, you'll have no issues as games support that by default.

I use both PS4 and Xbox depending on the game. Weird I know but my hands feel "better" playing certain games with either controller

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
that thing it even worse. I'm currently attempting to download outer worlds and its not letting me start the download.
Is it requiring you to update to the latest version of Windows 10? I know that's what tripped me up on the Gamepass version of the game.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Is Outer Worlds able to launch without the EGS store running? Does it require Xbox login? Is it DRM free?

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
I wouldn't trust my saves on this platform after losing my more than 100h save file for Enter The Gungeon after switching from my laptop to my desktop. It just replaced the save file on my desktop without asking even though it usually asks, that was during the early days of cloud saves on the platform, i don't know if it is more robust now.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It's great! In fact, I hope its success will cause Valve to take a look at their own store and actually remove some of the "features" causing it to be such a resource hog. Lighter apps are the future. No bloat, just download, play, and enjoy.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox login? What for? The game has nothing to do with Xbox/Microsoft.
Oh that's right.

Seems like it's DRM free on EGS. Nice. I want to keep this game for sure and I hope there's mods, early mods will even be worth getting it for $60 even though I have a lot of time on GP left.

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Once, a game disappeared from my library and tech support was helplessly overchallenged and put me through some annoying chores and couldn't help me after all. Yet the community was able to provide a solution within 30 minutes.

I wouldn't buy anything ever on that store again.

Nov 8, 2017
that thing it even worse. I'm currently attempting to download outer worlds and its not letting me start the download.

Yeah I don't use EGS on principle but the Xbox (Beta) app is very poorly made. It's almost shocking how bad it is at being able to just do basic functions and for some people it just refuses to download 90% of the time and will only occasionally get a burst of data before stopping again. The gamebar is cool but like, get your basic shit done please.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
Have not had any issues. Works fine with the free games, and had no problems buying or playing Untitled Goose Game with my Xbox One Controller.

Oct 27, 2017
It's okay, but it feels slow compared to Steam, and is missing a bunch of features like playtime, a wish list.

And for fucks sake, let me choose the default start up screen. Even if you just close it to the tray, it returns to that terrible home page every time you open it.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
Serviceable as of now, although they said improvements will come. Atleast they know what needs to be done so fingers crossed.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
What's more important to you;

1) playing the game you want
2) having a storefront experience

you know this tired stupid argument is bannable right? there's more to a client than just the "storefront experience".

This graphic is probably slightly outdated, but it conveys the point.

iivwvbxh2rd21.jpg

Do you want to use VR? Do you want to play seamlessly with any controller on a TV without ever dropping into a mouse UI? Do you want to play literally any game on linux? You cannot do those on EGS. I don't want this to turn into a storefront wars argument, but asinine posts like this really contribute nothing to the conversation. These are literal features that make games that are otherwise unplayable for people due to their circumstances, playable.

To answer OP's question, the store is in the same state as it basically has been since forever. They've added some stuff, but nothing major. It's still a place where you would literally only go to buy exclusives and nothing else.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I use it for the free stuff it offers and so far they work.

As long as they continue their exclusivity crap they are not going to see my money. Also, It does not help that the owner behaves like a 12 yo that aspires to become an asshole when he grows up.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Last time I checked they still didn't even have a shopping cart, so that says a lot about it features.

Terin

Oct 31, 2017
Do they have a refund policy?
Yeah, it actually works okay (in the US). Got Control last Saturday, it was not playing nice with my system, decided to refund on Tuesday, got the refund today. I'm probably going to get it again either when I get a new GPU or just on console, since I loved everything else, but in the meantime Epic's refund process was pretty smooth.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
you know this tired stupid argument is bannable right? there's more to a client than just the "storefront experience".

This graphic is probably slightly outdated, but it conveys the point.

iivwvbxh2rd21.jpg

Do you want to use VR? Do you want to play seamlessly with any controller on a TV without ever dropping into a mouse UI? Do you want to play literally any game on linux? You cannot do those on EGS. I don't want this to turn into a storefront wars argument, but asinine posts like this really contribute nothing to the conversation. These are literal features that make games that are otherwise unplayable for people due to their circumstances, playable.

To answer OP's question, the store is in the same state as it basically has been since forever. They've added some stuff, but nothing major. It's still a place where you would literally only go to buy exclusives and nothing else.
Someone forgot "Shopping cart" on that list.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
frankly, its still the same pos it was at launch

if you want to reward ineptitude, buy there

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's perfectly fine. Buy game, download game, play game. It has honestly been no different than using the other 5-6 launchers I have installed.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Seems to work decently for people who use it.

so essentially, it's fine for most people. Stuff like Proton is extremely niche.

Hopefully, QoL improvements like shopping cart and more robust controller support comes quickly.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Do you want to use VR? Do you want to play seamlessly with any controller on a TV without ever dropping into a mouse UI? Do you want to play literally any game on linux? You cannot do those on EGS. I don't want this to turn into a storefront wars argument, but asinine posts like this really contribute nothing to the conversation.

There are multiple VR games on the Epic store and they work just fine.

Do they have a refund policy?

Yeah, same as Steam/Oculus Store etc. Less than 2 weeks/2 hours I think.