• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
There is no BC with anything on any current console. It's various sorts of emulation and recompilation. And it's far from easy, anywhere.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually BC seems like a panic response to them losing a ton of market share. It seemed like a desperate attempt for them to remind everyone how great the 360 and provide something different compared to ps4.

also they've wrapped up BC support. Not sure I would say we've only recently seen the fruits of their labor...

Xbox BC wasn't a reaction to Sony, Xbox One has dedicated hardware onboard to help with its BC containers from what I read. Its a plan that could've only been decided whilst they were leading the market during 360 gen.

Xbox Series X (and future consoles) benefiting effortlessly on day 1 shows how brilliant the work done by the team is. They support these games once and they're playable everywhere without doing any more work, they'll be compatible with new OS features that comes with every new machine and maximise extra power available.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is this an inverse dick waving contest? "Look, they have even less titles than the other one." Every title that is bc is great and there is no way to put this as bad at all. We know that there is no full bc right now on Xbox and a few people stating otherwise a hardly a good starting point for an argumentation just to make a point that doesn't even exist.
Also, sorry, but using a dead platform, the Vita, in this discussion is also misleading as the Vita solution is essentially only a proxy of the bc of another dead platform, the psp.

it wasn't intended to be. Just that MS does have this impression of it can play everything via BC when really that is only true for 360; OG Xbox is still poorly supported. Edited out vita comment if that reads better now?

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox (Original) and Xbox 360 BC is... unique, with how it's handled, which is why it had to be approved case by case basis. Admittedly a massive amount of the library is now available and playable, but a lot of work had to be done to get them to the point that they could do so. That said, PS1 and PS2 should be, in theory, easy for Sony to pull off directly through emulation, given their internal documentation available.

We also know Sony has a working PSP emulator that the system supports and some games released also make use of currently. PS3 and Vita, provided the leaked speaks of the CPU and GPU are accurate for the PS5, might also make this a reality via emulation as well. It's been hinted that Sony's past library will be largely playable and I'm hoping it's through direct console access rather than going something similar to how PS Now handles it.

Regardless, I'm hoping Sony makes the right calls for the PS5. This was my one major gripe with PS4. I could understand if they at least made PS1 and PS2 available, with PS3 being difficult (though arguably could eventually taken the approach Microsoft did with that, though it'd mean a case-by-case basis roll out), but they did the bare minimum, made it difficult to do the PS2 on PS4 for developers (reportedly due to the trophy requirements) and then many games planned (either announced or found out via rating agencies) never got released. This is one area I want Sony to improve upon, but I feel like I don't trust them to do so. I want to be proven wrong, especially given a number of people's comments suggests otherwise.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Not including BC was a business decision, it's nothing to do with technical limitations. Microsoft weren't going to include it either until the Xbox One began to struggle and they needed to win back customers.

But, I hope the mindset is changing and we can one day have all our playstation games on one console.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not including BC was a business decision, it's nothing to do with technical limitations. Microsoft weren't going to include it either until the Xbox One began to struggle and they needed to win back customers.

But, I hope the mindset is changing and we can one day have all our playstation games on one console.

No. They can't just turn it on at a later date. Xbox One was fitted with hardware specifically for BC way before anyone had an idea about market performance.

Helping the task immensely is the fact that certain aspects of the Xbox 360 hardware design are indeed built into the Xbox One processor - specifically, support for texture formats and audio.

www.eurogamer.net

Xbox One backwards compatibility: how does it actually work?

One of the most memorable of E3 reveals also happens to be one of the greatest technological achievements of the curren…

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I will be really disappointed if PS5 doesn't have full BC.

it would be nice to retire my old PS2, play those few PS3 games I missed out on, and sell my PS4.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
I don't get why people would want such older BC so badly, but Sony needs old-BC just from a marketing response.

They are losing valuable market mind-share come non BC, even though I doubt many people use it to warrant such a costly affair.
What is so hard to get?
People don't want to pay for same sames again and don't want to lose their library of games just because new console came out

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It's really sad how Sony just don't really care much about BC, like people said they just don't get why we want to play old games.

Imagine Steam removing all games that's more than 10 years old because they feel like it doesn't drive new users to the platform.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
It's really sad how Sony just don't really care much about BC, like people said they just don't get why we want to play old games.

Who is "we"? How many are you? How much would you spend for old games? Would it reduce your willingness to leave the PS ecosystem resp. would it trigger you to switch from Xbox to PS if it was available?

Again, it's not that "Sony doesn't care", businesses don't work that way. They obviously crunched the numbers I was asking you and came to the conclusion it's not worth the effort. Easy as that.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
It's not about it being easy or hard, Sony as company doesn't see the value in it, at least in the time being for all we know.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
of course. But at this point the talkign point has become 'MS has full bc, you can play all previous games - why can't Sony do that?'
It hasn't. The talking point is why doesn't Sony have any form of BC whatsoever. I doubt people would be disappointed with hundreds of PS3 games being compatible at no extra charge on PS4.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
What is so hard to get?
People don't want to pay for same sames again and don't want to lose their library of games just because new console came out

This. You don't lose your library with any other form of media No matter the device. I've been harping on this since the X1 and PS4 came out. I was saying it's absurd you boot up your new console with zero games.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The current president of SIE doesnt understand why anyone would want to play ancient games. That's the reason why. The Xbox division at Microsoft values more their retro catalogue than Sony does.
If you're looking at this from a purely pragmatic standpoint, Xbox/MS cares more about their retro catalogue because they're attempting to build the "Netflix of gaming", services are obviously a lot more important to their direction of their brand, so having as many games as possible on their services (old or new) makes so much sense. An attempt to bring it into parity with the competition, probably just as important. For Sony, even though it makes sense to have as many games as possible to purchase/play for the current audience to bring in the money on hardware and services, it would seem not so much. For them the efforts don't weigh in their favour. Who knows what the next-generation will bring though.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
PS1 is simple to emulate, but the PS2 isn't. PCSX2 can get you through a lot of games on the PC-side, but lots of games either don't play right, require hacks of some sort, or have glitches. The PS2 was an architectural mess much like the PS3, only developers had to shut up about it since there was no competition.

Microsoft has a few advantages when it comes to BC since the OG Xbox and the XB1 both have x86 CPUs, and the 360 and XB1 both have Radeon GPUs.

PS2 and PS3 BC would probably require the Microsoft approach. It would also ensure the game's are relicenced for the future.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
If I'm not mistaken, the BC games on XB1 are all being emulated. I guess you could say that they're "ported", but for all intents and purposes, they work in much the same way as what you might expect backwards compatibility to work. For example, playing a game on the 360 and then on the XB1 won't get you two separate achievement lists like it would for ports.

No they don't, which is why they don't work straight from the disc and why not all games are supported. The games aren't dumped to run, they're modified (and re-licensed) to work on X1. Doesn't matter if the work done of minimal, it is required so the console is not actually backwards compatible... If it was I would be able to pop in my copy of Eternal Sonata on an X1 and play

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's implied when you just say the original PS3 had PS1 BC. Especially since it's a common mistake people make, thinking that Sony removed all BC from the PS3 Slim, when they only removed PS2 BC.

That was more towards it having PS1 and PS2 BC compared to later revisions, I know as a whole it kept PS1 BC.

I really hope they can bring it back for the PS5.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
It's not hard at all for them, they just don't care, and they don't think their customers would either.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Actually BC seems like a panic response to them losing a ton of market share. It seemed like a desperate attempt for them to remind everyone how great the 360 and provide something different compared to ps4.

also they've wrapped up BC support. Not sure I would say we've only recently seen the fruits of their labor...
They had custom hardware specifically inside the Xbox one for the sole purpose of playing 360 games.
Must have panicked then got in a time machine

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
The PS4 was made in a real big financial squeeze time for Playstation and Sony at large. As such its always felt behind the PS3 and even the Vita on an O/S level. Not having PS1 backwards compatability for instance was baffling.

Its been a big turnaround, so I'm expecting PS5 to bring the absolute noise in this manner. I hope its disc based emulation for all previously Playstations to ressurrect all the fallen licensed games too.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
They had custom hardware specifically inside the Xbox one for the sole purpose of playing 360 games.
Must have panicked then got in a time machine

It just seems disingenuous of Microsoft to give us access to old games on a new machine when they could be bundling access to their time travel platform so I can go back to 2007 and source the original hardware. Like, what's their angle?

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

They wanted to include it, hence the implementation of 360 features into One hardware.
Sony couldn't do it for PS3, that was not a business decision. The PS2 approach was a business decision and a bad one, too, in how it was executed.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im shocked to see no one is complaining that evil Microsoft did not make Kinect games backwards compatible. This is an outrage! Phil please send in your resignation now and bring back Mattrick our true god king

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 was made in a real big financial squeeze time for Playstation and Sony at large. As such its always felt behind the PS3 and even the Vita on an O/S level. Not having PS1 backwards compatability for instance was baffling.

Its been a big turnaround, so I'm expecting PS5 to bring the absolute noise in this manner. I hope its disc based emulation for all previously Playstations to ressurrect all the fallen licensed games too.
Starting with this generation that's about to end and going forward, the PS4/XB1 does not play games off of the disc, but instead plays them installed off of the hard drive. The emulation will follow the same course, so hoping for disc based emulation is setting yourself up for disappointment given the evidence.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It just about a decision. Sony had the means to do it but they don't want to because it doesn't make business sense to them

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Starting with this generation that's about to end and going forward, the PS4/XB1 does not play games off of the disc, but instead plays them installed off of the hard drive. The emulation will follow the same course, so hoping for disc based emulation is setting yourself up for disappointment given the evidence.
"Disc based emulation" is perhaps the wrong phrasing, but that it does the usual "checks disc, downloads game" process, rather than it all having to be digital content relicensed because thats a hell of a lot of games lost to the sands of time. The disc way is the only way to bypass licensing issues created by 25 years of shuffle.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't think this is so much an issue with PlayStation (1), but Sony's decision to use such convoluted architectures with PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 probably plays a huge part in the difficulty Sony has in offering backwards compatibility. While I won't claim that Microsoft doesn't put a lot of work into backwards compatibility, I will say that Microsoft has always used DirectX and didn't enter the console space until 3D graphics were a known quantity. I think this conversation would be much different if Microsoft had jumped into the console space earlier. Just look at older systems like the Atari Jaguar, which were designed well before 3D graphics hardware was standardized and required a lot more guesswork from the developers with regard to what a system needed in order to generate 3D graphics.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I don't think theres anything technical about it.

Sony could obviously get it if they wanted to, and anyone pretending otherwise clearly has an agenda.

The truth is it probably just isn't worth it. Most people won't value PS1/2 BC as much as PS4 BC or new games.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
As much as I understand why Sony doesn't focus on it, I think as such a huge brand in gaming history they kind of owe it to us that they can keep legacy games alive and playable going forward. Enough of new generations of hardware meaning old games can no longer be played on the modern hardware.

It might not be an immediate money spinner or return their investment but I think as a positive piece of PR it would be priceless. I hope Microsoft's endeavours on this have changed Jim Ryan's stance on this.

I'm not expecting disc playback to work but that would be super sweet even if more and more irrelevant as time goes on, but what they really should be doing is getting as many old games as possible available to buy digitally and licensed so we can buy them once and own them forever on PlayStation hardware and through PS Now streaming in future. Put the leg work in Sony, let us play most of the classic games we remember. Go on.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Disc based emulation" is perhaps the wrong phrasing, but that it does the usual "checks disc, downloads game" process, rather than it all having to be digital content relicensed because thats a hell of a lot of games lost to the sands of time. The disc way is the only way to bypass licensing issues created by 25 years of shuffle.
I think for that to work the game would have to be uploaded to Sony's servers and wrapped in an emulator to be downloaded and played but would require publishing agreements and this is where the publishing, licensing, streaming issues come into play. There's no way getting around that.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
And that record only includes the PS4 right? I'm all for pushing BC, I think it's great, but acting like Sony at one point wasn't the best in class in this area isn't accurate. I wish they did a better job with the PS4 and I hope with the PS5 they support all the PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/PSP/PSV purchases but it's disingenuous to do what you did with that quotation.
Sure but they're pretty easily worst in class about it now. PS2onPS4 was expensive and quickly abandoned, the PS Classic was horribly handled and tanked completely as a result, the long support of PS Classics/Game Archives needlessly ended, a focus on premium remasters and remakes (sometimes even using a lag inducing stock PSP emu), no real promise or indication for anything past PS4 on PS5. Sony being this bad now on legacy content is shocking given what they were doing a decade earlier, it only hammers home how fast and far they've fallen.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Sony didn't need to since they are selling/sold the most consoles this gen
Now to ensure people buy the PS5 they'll announce total BC as a key feature

like Nintendo and the vc/classics on switch, they are selling a ton and don't need to put it on switch until sales slow down

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
It was the number one most requested feature on Xbox uservoice surveys.

Did Sony ever put out a similar poll for their users? If they have, I missed it.

I find it hard to believe that BC isnt important to most of Sony userbase, with how vast and quality a library they have through their prior generations. Unless most of their userbase now falls within only PS4 experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Again, it's not that "Sony doesn't care", businesses don't work that way. They obviously crunched the numbers I was asking you and came to the conclusion it's not worth the effort. Easy as that.

Is this some kind of defense? A billion dollar multinational company doesn't find a pro-consumer move to be profitable enough so they shouldn't be criticized for not doing it?

edit - watch this video starting at the 1:30 mark:

Last edited:

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate Modern Sony and how little they care about their legacy, Playstation has so much history it NEEDS to be preserved and carried on with their new consoles, especially now that everyone is trying really hard to push this ecosystem thing. Just make it compatible with the Ps2 and Ps1 classics that are already on the Ps3 Store.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
like Nintendo and the vc/classics on switch, they are selling a ton and don't need to put it on switch until sales slow down
Nintendo's gone in a different direction on Switch, retiring Virtual Console in favor of a value added subscription model tied into their online services. They're not going to suddenly show up with a Switch VC, they're just going to continue beefing up their NSO offerings. They also have well done dedicated classic microconsoles for consumers who want them although we don't know if they're going to continue those.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
As others have said, it wasn't easy for MS to get BC on the Xbox 1.

I hope Sony have been working on this and the PS5 has BC with PS1,2 and 3 games.

I think the biggest hurdle is going to be with the licensing for older obscure games. I'm hoping we'll get a massive back catalogue of games to purchase digitally day one. That's the dream anyway.

May 10, 2019
Im shocked to see no one is complaining that evil Microsoft did not make Kinect games backwards compatible. This is an outrage! Phil please send in your resignation now and bring back Mattrick our true god king

Our King Mattrick will also restore the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player back to it's formal glory!!!

images

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's gone in a different direction on Switch, retiring Virtual Console in favor of a value added subscription model tied into their online services. They're not going to suddenly show up with a Switch VC, they're just going to continue beefing up their NSO offerings. They also have well done dedicated classic microconsoles for consumers who want them although we don't know if they're going to continue those.

I know this goes a bit off topic, but would love to see Nintendo put the Soul Blazer trilogy up online or see them released like the Mana Collection. And yes, I mean Terranigma, as well.