• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are more PS2 games on PS4 than Xbox original games on Xbox One

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually BC seems like a panic response to them losing a ton of market share. It seemed like a desperate attempt for them to remind everyone how great the 360 and provide something different compared to ps4.
LOL It seems like you just made this up to fit your narrative. It seems like your very wrong. Have you even read anything about Xbox One BC for you to even feel comfortable saying this? Obviously not.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
MS felt it would be a feature that would help differentiate their product, Sony doesn't. Maybe that will change, but as of now its less a matter of technical ability (specifically for PS1/2) and more a case that Sony probably doesn't see it as something that will help their position.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
While we're at it: Xbox One is not backwards compatible to any console, Microsoft's BC program basically ports select games to the X1 allowing you to use the old discs as keys to access the new port.

They're not ports. There is no work being done to the actual code of the games themselves which is why you can system link an OG Xbox to an Xbox One and play Halo CE, Crimson Skies, etc.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't PS4 already have a hidden system level PS2 Emulator?

Pretty sure I read you rip PS2 discs straight to a hacked console and play or something like that. Might remembering wrong.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That and audio, which I seem to recall they said is embedded in the CPU? Which would mean that yes, they'd have to have planned it from the beginning.
They did. If I recall, rather than being able to focus on BC before the system launched they had to focus on shifting the system and it's os to not be always online instead of what they originally intended.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of work has been previously done on the PPC architecture used in the 360.

Nothing slightly comparable for the CELL. For the PS1/PS2 that could be bruteforced, it's for the same reason than Microsoft that the emulator isn't freely accessible to the end-user, but aggravated by a puny selection of games and zero physical support.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Its not easy. MS put a lot of money, time, and effort into it. Sony probably doesn't want to put that effort in and they don't have to because they are in the lead. Would love it if they firgured out a way to emulate ps3 games on the ps4 but that is probably more money than its worth to them.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you put FULL BC when MS doesn't have that?
You will never see Full BC with PS2 onwards as games require individual hacks to get running properly in a software emulator.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I still can't wrap my head around why Sony went through the trouble of making a PS2 emulator for PS4, and didn't just let us plop disks in and use them. I get that they want to sell PS2 games on PSN (I bought many of them), but for fucks sake, just let us play disks we already own.

The PS2 situation is just particularly frustrating for me, because I have a lot of PS2 games I really would like to play, and I absolutely can't stand using PCSX2. I'm so sick and tired of having to beg for games to get remastered so I can buy them, instead of just having the ability to either use disks I already own, or just buying a PS2 game and playing it on my PS4. I don't want to buy a actual PS2 nor do I want to deal with PCSX2's bullshit.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
PS3 and XBOX360 were both power PC structure (correct me if I'm wrong). PS4 and XBOX ONE share similar hardware. if ONE can play 360 games then PS4 can play PS3 games, if they want to do it.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
PS3 and XBOX360 were both power PC structure (correct me if I'm wrong). PS4 and XBOX ONE share similar hardware. if ONE can play 360 games then PS4 can play PS3 games, if they want to do it.
idk about them both being power PC structure but even if that were the case, I don't think it changes the fact that the Cell processor was developer's biggest nightmare while the 360 was much easier to work with in comparison. Emulating the PS3's cell architecture isn't exactly easy, despite a PS3 emulator finally getting off the ground on PC.

The only way Sony could have probably pulled it off at the time, is if they literally put the Cell processor inside the PS4, much like how the PS2's emotion engine was put in the early PS3 units to guarantee PS2 backwards compatibility. This would have probably made the PS4 more expensive at the time, and could have resulted in them missing their 399 target price.

Edit: I will say the key difference when it comes to PS5 and PS4 and PS3 backwards compatibility is that the PS5 probably has the raw power to actually handle PS3 emulation without the need to have any actual PS3 hardware inside the unit itself. So if Sony wanted to do it now I'd certainly be inclined to believe that the PS5 hardware could handle it. Especially with how much great progress has been made on the PC side.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do you put FULL BC when MS doesn't have that?
You will never see Full BC with PS2 onwards as games require individual hacks to get running properly in a software emulator.

Microsoft uses a shared emulator for all their games. The only ones with any specific hacks are the 1X upgraded 4K versions, and even then they're slight.

Technically Microsoft could probably ships the recompiler they use on the series X so you don't actually have to download anything either, but who knows how long that would take to run before the game was ready to go.

And then there are the legal issues where your technically not allowed to modify code according to most EULA's which the recompiler is doing, so even if they could, they still have to ask individual companies for permission to do so :'(. Although perhaps the series X is fast enough for realtime PPC emulation, which would technically forgo that restriction.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more that Sony just doesn't want to do it. They definitely have the resources to make it happen.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
MS can't provide full BC for either of their past consoles, unfortunately, and what's there was not done "easily" at all.

There are a lot of licencing issues regarding streaming/capturing, hosting digital versions of the game, altering existing code, etc.
A lot of publishers straight up don't exist anymore, and the rights for some games are mixed up between multiple parties, so negotiating this might be off the table in a lot of cases. It gets worse the older the game is.

The solution - assuming there's no wording that the game has to run on the original hardware only (like PS1 to PS2?) - would be to run the game straight off the disc with no alterations, streaming blocked, completely as it would be if you had a PS1 connected.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
One nice thing Microsoft did with the Xbox one was define a virtual machine that all software runs within. So in the future, they only have to be compatible with that virtualized environment to get full binary compatibility. In other words, Microsoft kind of solved this going forward, and if it runs on the Xbox One it should rub on all future hardware.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Microsoft was planning BC before the Xbox One launched. I read somewhere that there is some bit of hardware built into Xbox One for some of the things needed for 360 emulation. I think Phil or someone said it was delayed because of the whole launch debacle and pulling engineers away from the project.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of work has been previously done on the PPC architecture used in the 360.

Nothing slightly comparable for the CELL. For the PS1/PS2 that could be bruteforced, it's for the same reason than Microsoft that the emulator isn't freely accessible to the end-user, but aggravated by a puny selection of games and zero physical support.
If hobbyists can build rpcs3, then Sony can do it, too, from a technical point of view. Of course the PS4 would not have the power to emulate the PS4 at full speed, though.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If hobbyists can build rpcs3, then Sony can do it, too, from a technical point of view. Of course the PS4 would not have the power to emulate the PS4 at full speed, though.
Sony could have technically done something for sur, but the difference is quit large between a (remarkable) hobbyist software and a consumer-grade one. It wasn't to give them excuses but to separate the technical and the "distribution" problem, something that MS solved well.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony could have technically done something for sur, but the difference is quit large between a (remarkable) hobbyist software and a consumer-grade one.
Oh, for sure, Dolphin, one of the most mature emulators out there, still receives updates and fixes games. What I wanted to say is that while ppc emulation is quite common in the emulator scene, hobbyists even found a way to emulate Cell. And let's be honest: no one besides hobbyists and Sony will ever do anything in terms of emulation for SPUs because they are easy too niche nowadays (and even were when released).

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I think you are overestimating how many OG Xbox games are BC

Also isn't there weird compatibility issues with PS2 emulation on PC? Where it isn't 100% perfect?

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
PS5 is powerful enough to have PS3 back-compat, OP. The Zen 2 CPU is exceptionally well at PS3 emulation judging from its performance in the RPCS3 (PS3) emulator on PC. If Sony wants they can provide emulation from PSX to PS4. It remains to be seen whether they choose to do that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think you are overestimating how many OG Xbox games are BC

Also isn't there weird compatibility issues with PS2 emulation on PC? Where it isn't 100% perfect?
This applies to pcsx2 which is done by hobbyists who don't have access to the full hardware documentation. Sony should be able to do it but instead they decided that PS2 games should get trophies as an additional argument for further monetization.

Bartis

Dec 30, 2017
It all comes down to commitment. Not sure if Microsoft wold have done it were they in the first spot, as Sony is

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's not difficult, they just don't do it because there is no money in it for them.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I have a huge backlog and sometimes do itch to play old PS2 and 3 games. How hard is it seriously to make it fully BC?? At least Ps1,2 and 4. I know PS3 are hard to emulate but no excuse for the rest when MS will most likely market that next gen as a plus to own Xbox Series X.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I think the reality is most people just don't play old ps1/2/3 games and they must have looked at it that way in terms of a financial move. MS have the resource and manpower and obviously had to try harder to win the appeal of the hardcore crowd back after xb1

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I don't think 'easily' applies here, Microsoft put a lot of work and effort in. They nailed it, and it is what got me back in the Xbox eco-system.

Sony still wonders why we want to play these old games.

That Jim Ryan quotation is like the Toy Story quotation in that it gets misquoted more than it gets correctly quoted.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
My understanding is they use different approaches and PS5 uses hardware BC whereas Microsoft uses a software emulator. I don't know why. Could be how the games work or the amount of investment. It is a really unique thing to see old games look better. I can't say I use it though.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
We can judge them by their record. Hopefully PS5 changes the trend.

And that record only includes the PS4 right? I'm all for pushing BC, I think it's great, but acting like Sony at one point wasn't the best in class in this area isn't accurate. I wish they did a better job with the PS4 and I hope with the PS5 they support all the PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/PSP/PSV purchases but it's disingenuous to do what you did with that quotation.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get why people would want such older BC so badly, but Sony needs old-BC just from a marketing response.

They are losing valuable market mind-share come non BC, even though I doubt many people use it to warrant such a costly affair.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't easy for MS to get it done , it must have cost a lot but may be MS software skills came into play and even Sony didn't think it was possible.
mspoweruser.com

Sony Surprised By Microsoft’s Announcement About Xbox One Backward Compatibility Support

At E3, Microsoft announced that Xbox One will be the only console to support backward compatibility natively for select Xbox 360 games, for free, and all with X
"It was surprising," Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer when asked to comment about Microsoft's decision to provide backward compatibility.
"I didn't think it was possible. There must be lots of engineering effort. They talked about 100 games, but what kind of games will be included? Is it smaller games or big games? We don't know."
He also revealed that Sony has no plans to offer the same in their PS4 console.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And that record only includes the PS4 right? I'm all for pushing BC, I think it's great, but acting like Sony at one point wasn't the best in class in this area isn't accurate. I wish they did a better job with the PS4 and I hope with the PS5 they support all the PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/PSP/PSV purchases but it's disingenuous to do what you did with that quotation.

I'm aware, but Sony has changed a lot. And I didn't even quote anyone.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Actually BC seems like a panic response to them losing a ton of market share. It seemed like a desperate attempt for them to remind everyone how great the 360 and provide something different compared to ps4.

also they've wrapped up BC support. Not sure I would say we've only recently seen the fruits of their labor...
It wasn't a "panic response" though, factually incorrect. Although not announced at the time, BC was originally planned to launch with XBO but priorities shifted on to Kinect and other nonsense as we know, and it got delayed. There is custom hardware in the XBO for 360 BC.

Also they haven't "wrapped up" BC support, the team shifted their focus on to next gen.