• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
With all the recent goodwill Square-Enix has garnered with FFVII Remake, I'd figure I'd ask this simple question. A Final Fantasy Tactics retrospective review popped up in my YouTube feed the other day, and it reminded me how much I loved FFT and how dumb it is that it's not available to download on modern platforms. The best we have is the iOS/Android ports from several years ago. This makes no sense given that all of the mainline single player FF games from the PS1 and PS2 era are available on modern platforms. To make matters worse the superior War of The Lions translation version has never been available outside of the mobile ports and the PSP/Vita. FFT is literally one of the best FF games of all time, but SE treats it like the black sheep of the franchise? What gives?

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Same goes for Tactics Ogre LUCT. It's a crime that such a good remake is stuck on legacy hardware.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Square-Enix hates Tactics games. It's the only explanation.
Considering how they ran screaming from turn-based battles in mainline Final Fantasy, it's very likely that they think turn-based stuff is a dead-end for sales potential. It's clearly short-sighted, as other popular franchises have shown but Square-Enix just isn't the same company anymore; They haven't been for a long time.

vic viper

Dec 27, 2017
man I was just talking about this with a friend last night, that it STINKS that fft and luct aren't on switch

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
square-enix-logo.png

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
A lot of their PS1 games aren't on modern systems unfortunately.
No SaGa Frontier 1 or 2, no Xenogears, no Front Mission 3, et cetera. Most of their SNES catalogue is completely MIA too. Poor Lufia never even had a Virtual Console release.

At least FFT has a mobile version you can easily buy. That is a lot better than most of Square-Enix's old games.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Don't rely on publishers/developers. And you certainly can't expect them to continue to port or remaster their catalog every time closed-platforms cut you off.

If you own it already, emulate it.

A good PC version would be nice, as that's guaranteed easy access forever, but their ports usually aren't great.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Considering how they ran screaming from turn-based battles in mainline Final Fantasy, it's very likely that they think turn-based stuff is a dead-end for sales potential. It's clearly short-sighted, as other popular franchises have shown but Square-Enix just isn't the same company anymore; They haven't been for a long time.
Elsewhere, Persona 5 Royal and Fire Emblem: Three Houses review extremely well and sell millions.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
PS3 is my favorite modern console.

Even the iOS ports are almost 10 years old. If they aren't going to give us a new FFT I would love the old one on Switch.
Thread title literally says modern consoles/PC.....

One gen back is not ancient. It's not like the PS3 doesn't still hook up to a TV via HDMI.

Most people don't just trash their old systems when a new one comes out.

What's important is that the game is available to buy. It's not some rarity that isn't available for sale anywhere.

Why people treat last gens like they dont exist is beyond me. Yes options blah blah.

This. The occasional remaster is neat, but I would much rather play new games from my favorite developers than remakes of old ones. Especially if the original is still easily accessible.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
One gen back is not ancient. It's not like the PS3 doesn't still hook up to a TV via HDMI.

What's important is that the game is available to buy. It's not some rarity that isn't available for sale anywhere.

This. The occasional remaster is neat, but I would much rather play new games from my favorite developers than remakes of old ones. Especially if the original is still easily accessible.
The entire point of this thread is that FFT is not easily accessible.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have to imagine some sort of rights thing is a reason with Square, though they do random ass mobile ports so maybe not. But given they port like even FFIV the After Years to Steam it's baffling things like FFT and Valkyrie Profile's mobile ports didn't make it over.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Rip ff tactics war of the lions on psp.
Apply slowdown patch fix
Play on ppsspp

Enjoy the definitive experience

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They still plenty of turn based games.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
It literally can be played on 90% of modern phones. That's the definition of an easy access, unless only dedicated devices count for some reason. Tactics Ogre on the other hand...

I'd buy both FFT and Tactics Ogre on PC tho, good strategy games are always welcome.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

But it is. PS3s and Vitas are super easy to buy (assuming you don't have one already).

And the digital download is readily available.

Would PS1 BC on the PS4 be better for some? Sure. But let's not act like this is some rare OOP title that requires obscure hardware to play.

And that's not even addressing the Android and iOS versions...

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017

People gonna look back in a few years and be like "Damn, why didn't I buy X and X game on ps3 when it was only available there?"

That said, I still need to purchase Vagrant Story, Legend of Dragoon and Xenogears for my ps3. I've got tons of ps1 gems already on it.

untrue, its ready to purchase and download for ps3-vita and psp. And the already mentioned phone version.
It would be "not easily accessible" if all of these options didnt exist and you had to resort to piracy or ps1 disc.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why people treat last gens like they dont exist is beyond me. Yes options blah blah.
If you want to play War of the Lions, a vastly superior translation, there is no simple way to actually play it on a television screen. That's bullshit, IMO.

Not ideal circumstances.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough, I guess, but I'd wager not many have a PSTV. Trying to get one now looks like it'll run you in the hundreds, easily. I wouldn't call this easily accessible.

Yes, it's super expensive. I thought about getting one for Persona4G and Crisis Core on the Tv, but it goes around 150, and i'm poor (but happy) :)

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Fair enough, I guess, but I'd wager not many have a PSTV. Trying to get one now looks like it'll run you in the hundreds, easily. I wouldn't call this easily accessible.
Yes, it's super expensive. I thought about getting one for Persona4G and Crisis Core on the Tv, but it goes around 150, and i'm poor (but happy) :)

Cloggerdude has one for sale in BST right now.

Or, you could always buy the Android version (War of the Lions) and either cast to TV (or use HDMI out) or run it on a Shield or other Android box.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
It's on mobile and it's actually great. I don't think you can get more accessible than that.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
The most insane thing, to me, is that the mobile version is a fixed port of WotL (no slowdown or music problem) with redone HD assets.
It's pretty much the definitive FFT version, they put more effort in that thing than for many other old school endeavours, yet they won't re-release it for modern systems, what gives?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
We need both FFT:WOL and TO:LUCT:WOF remastered on Steam, PSN, XBL and eShop. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened already given some of the other PSP/iOS stuff that has been (FFVII, FFIX, SO:FD, etc).

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I'd drop $60 today for just a not janky port of the PSP version on Steam.

It's mind boggling with all the mobile ports that have got PC releases.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
In all seriousness, it's kind of baffling that Square Enix hasn't capitalized on the continued blowout success of a tactical franchise like Fire Emblem by supporting their own acclaimed tactical IPs.

Further, the Final Fantasy ports/remasters on modern consoles have done super well. With any normal company, you'd hope that would make it only a matter of time before we saw modern ports of the WotL mobile remaster... and I do still hope that's the case, but... you never know with SE. They could be content to let modernized, definitive versions of some of the best games of all time languish on PSP/mobile.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
There is a mobile port SMH. But yeah that last digital console release was on PS3 with the OG and PSP/Vita w/ WotL. Really wish we could get on Switch!