• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I've been meaning to play Ghost of a Tale for a while now since it looks delightful, and unfortunately I missed out on the Steam sale. I just saw that it's discounted on the PSN Store and want to know: how does the PS4 version hold up? More specifically, I'm playing on Pro if it matters for this game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alias03

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I can't help with your question OP, but I wanna say thanks for bringing this game to my attention! I hadn't heard about it till this thread and it looks very interesting. Hopefully someone comes along that can get you the answer you need.

OP
OP
BeeDog

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Hope so too! Either I'm unlucky with the timing of my post thus making it overshadowed, or no one really cared copping this on the PS4. :(

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
I have it installed on my PS4 Pro and was planning to start it up once I finished the main story of Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Sorry I can't help just yet but I'm interested to know how good of an experience it is.

If no one chimes in maybe I'll try and find an hour tonight to start the game up.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I haven't played it either, but just wanted to chime in and say this game looks so charming and is definitely on my "must play" list. I feel like the game deserves all of the attention it can get.

OP
OP
BeeDog

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I decided to splash out on this game and I'm immediately kinda regretting it. While the game itself seems quite charming (though it starts in a heavy tutorial area), the technical issues are severe and turned me off quite fast. Even in the initial cramped setting, the framerate dives considerably, and the image quality is quite poor. :(

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I decided to splash out on this game and I'm immediately kinda regretting it. While the game itself seems quite charming (though it starts in a heavy tutorial area), the technical issues are severe and turned me off quite fast. Even in the initial cramped setting, the framerate dives considerably, and the image quality is quite poor. :(

I was actually planning to buy it myself since it was since the start on my wishlist. I saw reports that they fixed the game with updates though? Also metacritic is 85. So in theory it should be a great experience?

Edit: oh it was a PC report https://www.pcgamer.com/ghost-of-a-tale-update-makes-it-what-it-should-have-been-from-the-start

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's been a while since I've played this, don't remember if there were any technical difficulties, but if it had them it didn't bother me. the game's got a lot of fetch quests, which is why I stopped playing.

looks great, though and tilo is cute as a button!

ah, too bad.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

I can't help you with PS4 Pro impressions, because I finished it on Xbox One X, but yeah, the frame rate can really tank in some areas (although, from what I can remember, the starting area is particularly bad). I liked the game a lot, and it has plenty to offer to the right kind of gamer who can deal with the lack of polish in some areas, but it's an old-fashioned adventure that might not be a good fit for people who are more into modern cinematic games. Check this for more of my impressions.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
Late on the reply, but I've put nearly 9 hours into the game now, I believe I'm nearing the end, and felt worth coming back to this thread.

Performance is certainly difficult. I'm gaming on my PS4 Pro and there are plenty of times the game's framerate drops. The camera also has some issues in tight spaces, and in heavily forested areas I find myself straining to navigate the area because it's sometimes difficult to visually pick out what I'm supposed to be looking at.

That's about the extent of my negative criticism, though. The game is so much fun to play, and so different than the majority of other games I've been playing. Ghost of a Tale has its claws in me. Thematically it's a perfect fit; I grew up loving Redwall and I currently am a huge fan of Mouse Guard so the moment I saw this 2.5 years ago I knew I needed it. But from the gameplay perspective it's just so unlike a lot of what I've been playing recently that it's like coming up for air.

It's a game that will stay with me long after I finish it. Very much in love with it.

D_euy6CWwAExzKE

EAAeZGAX4AAoHrP

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
They launched a new update to the game on PS4 , 1.03 with this notes:

Minor bugfixes
Game optimization
Lighting transitions smoothened

Hope the fps drops are gone.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I can't help you with PS4 Pro impressions, because I finished it on Xbox One X, but yeah, the frame rate can really tank in some areas (although, from what I can remember, the starting area is particularly bad). I liked the game a lot, and it has plenty to offer to the right kind of gamer who can deal with the lack of polish in some areas, but it's an old-fashioned adventure that might not be a good fit for people who are more into modern cinematic games. Check this for more of my impressions.

How's the resolution? Someone commenting on the official site said it looked a little soft/blurry to him and not much higher than 1080p while the dev said it would be much higher.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I finished this a couple weeks back. Its ok, it has a lovely charm to it but the gameplay is very mediocre and it has a fair amount of jank. The framerate isnt too hot either on Pro.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
How's the resolution? Someone commenting on the official site said it looked a little soft/blurry to him and not much higher than 1080p while the dev said it would be much higher.

I'm playing on a 1080p screen, so I'm supersampling, but compared to how the game looked in Game Preview on the base console, the resolution and clarity have been greatly improved.

These are Xbox One Game Preview shots from July of 2017 compared to what the game looks like now on Xbox One X. I don't have to specify which is which, it's extremely obvious.

01-07-2017_20-22-29f7j35.png

15-03-2019_09-05-32-07bkwz.png

01-07-2017_20-21-49zmkwt.png

15-03-2019_09-05-49-zfqk5n.png

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I'm playing on a 1080p screen, so I'm supersampling, but compared to how the game looked in Game Preview on the base console, the resolution and clarity have been greatly improved.

These are Xbox One Game Preview shots from July of 2017 compared to what the game looks like now on Xbox One X. I don't have to specify which is which, it's extremely obvious.

01-07-2017_20-22-29f7j35.png

15-03-2019_09-05-32-07bkwz.png

01-07-2017_20-21-49zmkwt.png

15-03-2019_09-05-49-zfqk5n.png

Really nice! I really should get this sometime soon.