• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you prefer announcements to be spread out over multiple months or would you rather have E3 back?

• Yes, I prefer the staggered news/announcements/reveals we've been getting.

Votes: 110 8.0%
  • No, I would much rather go back to E3 (or equivalent).

Votes: 1,135 82.2%
  • I'm indifferent/I don't really care either way.

Votes: 136 9.8%

• Total voters

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
E3 has always been particularly significant because it tends to have a high concentration of announcements, reveals, and everything in between. With its cancelation this year, we've had to partake in something of an experiment--publishers host their own digital shows according to their own schedules, often separated by several weeks or more (as opposed to a day or two with E3). This means what would have been announced/revealed back in June at E3 is now part of some episode or live stream, which may or may not have aired yet. I've seen conflicting opinions on how people perceive this, and I get that some might prefer the current method over the usual E3 style. So I'm interested to see what folks here think.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible, I know it was the cool thing to want E3 dead but I want it back, or an equivalent event that takes place within a week.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of mini-events that all disappoint me over and over again is way worse than one big disappointment all at once. I'm so tired of getting my hopes up and getting pissed on instead.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
It's annoying but eh I'm used to it now that I dont mind it anymore lol. We're only a few months more to when the new consoles are likely to release so its alright.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
I'm not a fan. I understand the reasoning behind it this year, but spreading everything out makes it feel like companies don't have anything interesting and are just rushing from one bite sized reveal to the next. It makes even good reveals seem underwhelming to me.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i hate it.

never thought i'd say it but bring back E3. or anything else to replace it.... this is terrible.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
That always what I liked about the lead-up to E3, when stuff would leak or get announced in the weeks/months leading up to E3.
Gives you a longer burn of announcements rather than having them all crammed into a week and then there's a much bigger chance of missing games either because the announcement was smaller and got drowned by all the big publisher news, or websites just didn't cover it as much because they're so busy trying to cover everything.

I think what we've been getting is a little weaker than usual, but I think that's a mix of new consoles coming (so we're getting more comross platform stuff), and COVID-19 causing production issues.

I do think it's ridiculous Microsoft and Sony haven't announced the prices of their consoles yet. I know they both want the other to go first, but we're 3 months away already.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Its best not to use this year to judge how good the game shows would be without E3. The pandemic forced all in person shows to be canceled as well as forced people to work from home.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really sucks. To be fair though such an event filled with a constant stream of announcements would not be possible with the fluidity required by the corona virus and us economy. You cant announce games if there isnt a sure fire way to know you can hit a date

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
It is awful any very annoying. I hate it. Still waiting on preorders to go up... Would be nice to know if I am actually going to get the console they're talking about so I could get excited for the games.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I've not liked it basically because when a reveal or announcement has happened it's been small and smeared out over weeks or months, like one presentations worth of content is dribbled out over the course of 3 or 4 presentations weeks apart

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only good thing is there's announcements to come from nintendo. It can come at anytime!!!!

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I think if it weren't for the upcoming console generation I think people would be liking it a lot more. I don't mind it myself.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I told y'all that E3 would be missed.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
None of the poll options work for me. I am fine with a drip feed for game announcements, but give me the real console details NOW

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I don't particularly mind the staggered announcements, cause it gives me tiny little micro-announcements to look forward to. However, the fact that all the actually important stuff is taking forever to be announced is actually what's ticking me off.

I just wanna know the prices for the PS5/XSX/Zen3's/Nvidia 3k GPUS and literally NONE of them have dates or prices. All of them are supposed to be launching within the next 4 months (some of them in the NEXT month) and all we have to go on is rumors because all the companies are playing chicken with each other. Someone please just flop their dick on the table so we can move on.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
it's bad, but this year was always going to be bad. COVID and a next gen transition year meant the announcements were always going to be weak.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I don't. Give me E3 back. I found it far more enjoyable getting all the announcements in one fell swoop.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Its hard to say, none of the thing that have been announced are exactly lighting my world on fire so in that sense idk if its the format or just the lack of excitement from the lackluster reveals.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Go simply the Direct way ( Even Nintendo :'v ) when possible but consolidated around a single date.

That's why the Devolver Direct was the best one!

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
We had a thread on this not too long ago and the voting was MAJORLY in favor of E3.
Will most likely be the same here as the most recent presentations haven't been great.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I thought it would be cool to drag the equivalent of E3 out over several months....but I guess the really fun part about E3 is the big explosion of news over just a few days,which is certainly more exciting.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Nintendo has been staggered for the last years, so the only adjustment has been the COVID impact on frequency. E3 was just one stop in a years timeline.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I'm so happy a lot of people feel the same way, I was worried majority would be like, "YEA SO MUCH BETTER" I absolutely hate it. Much prefer having my "Super-Bowl" week of news and experiences.

Also if you need any evidence of this. Go watch E3 Reveal reactions from years prior, even on games that are mediocre. Compared to reveal reactions now... people just in general seem much more hyped before this year and when it was an EVENT, instead of a thing that we had no idea what to expect.

Great. Feels like E3 never left.

Oh god. I feel this.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I've actually really liked it, it's cool seeing something new every day! It definitely helps that I feel like I'm able to keep up with everything. I find myself interested in news/games that I normally wouldn't be if it was all crammed into a week since I don't feel rushed to play catch-up.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks ass.

Really hope E3's back next year (but I doubt it with America being the way it is rn)

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To put it bluntly, it's trash. Exacerbated by the cageyness of MS and Sony for next gen

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
nah fuck this, though we couldnt avoid it this year anyways because of covid. we do need someone whether its the esa or whatever to organize things better, letting everyone just set their own schedule is annoying

Jan 11, 2018
Its annoying at best. There have been a few gems though like the PS5 games showcase and the random Paper Mario Twitter drop.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
People are going to say it sucks but you have to keep in mind that everything is screwed up because of COVID. I'd like to see how the staggered announcements and reveals would've worked under normal circumstances. Personally, I think it's been fine. I loved E3 but it's been kind of nice having reveals in some shape or form every week or so rather than a big E3 bombardment in one week and nothing else all summer.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
I always thought that live audience and live stage were detracting from the experience. So getting VODs that were designed for the VOD experience was nice. I always had to rely on VODs anyway because live broadcasts were in the middle of the night for me.

On other hand, the events being staggered made me miss many of them. The E3 method of having all reveal events stacked together was really nice and the events increased each other's hype.

So this summer was OK, as were previous E3 events. My ideal world would be a bunch of digital-only events stacked together.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the info overload of E3, never have. I'd always miss a game, or one popular thing would overshadow so much (remember Evolve?). I like everything getting it's time to shine.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lack of E3 made me loose track a lot of announcements of things I don't care too much. The only thing I saw was Sony event.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Hate it, especially whatever the fuck Nintendo is doing with this Twitter shit.

(Yes yes, I know, global pandemic, everyone was caught off guard, etc etc).

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I think this year shows us that despite what most of us believed, E3 is very much needed for the industry.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Everyone was so quick to celebrate the end of E3 but I really missed having a week of big announcements. The alternative has been mostly disappointing.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's good. Way better than the 'hype train' 🤮 threads that E3 normally gets.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This year is the argument for why E3 needs to be a thing. Even if it's just a digital event, announcing everything all at once really feels like the better way to get information out to people. It's much easier to keep track of. If you want to do this staggared thing for showing more of your game, then yes, do it to keep the hype momentum. I'll be honest, I watch everything during E3 and I think I've only tuned into maybe two events this summer, which were the next-gen reveals. A lot of that is because keeping up with who is announcing what and when has been really tough to keep up with, and if I don't care about a developer's previous work, I'm less inclined to tune in.