• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Brazilian here
Prices are among the most expensive ever. We have many people facing starvation, fighting for bones in the garbage can of butcher shops. I moved back in with my mother to save money on grocery shopping.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
We have adjusted what we eat. Beef and pork has gotten more expensive locally (Houston), so we have started buying fish and chicken, which hasn't changed as much. It's really hitting the poorer communities hard, though. They don't have as many alternatives.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I've noticed a slight increase with certain types of meat/produce and other fresh products, but it seems to fluctuate pretty wildly.

I'm already budgeting pretty heavily with my grocery trips though, so I don't feel that affected. Maybe for those HEB ready meals though. I think the (tiny) steak and baked potato ones are at least $10 now. The salmon/potatoes/green beans one is $9.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
This is the new "normal" in Brazil

pessoas-reviram-cacamba-de-lixo.jpg.webp

Oct 25, 2017
I have noticed that chips seems to have suddenly increased in price by like, 20% in the last year or so.
Otherwise, I haven't really noticed.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Produces / Fruits I used to buy on sale at 99c tend to be around 1.29 nowadays. So yea, it's definitely quite an increase. We just cut back on non-essentials (i.e. snacks) which we need to anyway.

Oct 26, 2017
May have already been mentioned but you don't "feel" increase prices by staring at the prices alone. A lot of food companies are selling you less at the same price you were paying.

Pay attention to price per pound and not just price alone.

Last edited:

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I buy what's on sale. Whole Foods usually has a few meets on sale every week. Got chicken breast this week at 3.5 bucks a lb. , so I just revolve around that.

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
Major metro area in US. Track prices for budgeting. It's rough month after month...about a 50% increase for the items I get (meat/vegetables/no snacks) which is pretty much the same every week.
Did notice that deodorant is a big bump too, even on sale.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Im in the UK so we have had Brexit on top of Covid. I sold my left kidney for a burger yesterday. What do you do when you run out of organs?

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
I cooked some big pot meals that are cheap and last the week. My budget for October for my son and I was about $120 for groceries and $60 for dining out.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Steak seems way higher than it used to be. I haven't really noticed it for a lot of other items. We cook most of our meals and the staples are fairly cheap so small shifts in price aren't that noticeable. The sticker shock comes with meat these days.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Shit's expensive but if you know how to shop, you can make prices way way lower.

Easiest way is to go to farmer's markets and use your freezer more.

I stopped going to my main shop because prices, and across the board smaller size of produce, are crazy.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
My grocery shopping bills have been going up from 110-120ā‚¬ to 130-150ā‚¬s in recent times and I don't think it's due to me buying more :(.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Huh prices here in Minnesota are like half that.
Yeah, for some reason my grocery store's been having great sale prices on ground beef in recent months. Every time I check they still have the 3lb for $2.49/lb deal available. Full sticker price is like $5.49/lb.

Chicken breast usually $4/lb on sale, $5 if not.

Fruit prices can be high when they don't have deals; usually Walmart will have lower prices. Like half the price for strawberries.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly had not noticed an increase in grocery prices.

The only thing I've really noticed is that rent went up. Lots of landlords trying to recoup lost money that they feel they are owed.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't increased my budget really, so the result is that I'm noticing we tend to end up eating a lot more rice and struggle meals by the time it's time to go get more groceries. I need to increase it, I've just been in denial.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
I do most of our grocery shopping at Costco, and I honestly haven't really noticed any increase.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have noticed the higher prices on basically everything here in Germany but luckily I can affort to spend a few euros more on groceries (I was never that wasteful with my spending, mostly cook cheap meals at home).

It really sucks for a lot of people who don't have the luxury of an average income in a stable country and need to reconsider every bit of money spent on everything. :(

As usual, these dire times made the rich richer and the poor poorer. :(

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to buy just the bare essentials and basic food staples, but have noticed it has gone up a little. Nothing that is overall effecting my budget.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Eh I haven't noticed an increase in grocery costs. But I have noticed the supply chain issues. The stuff we want to buy is constantly sold out, so we have to compromise by getting brands we don't usually buy.

We typically spend between $150 to $200 a week on groceries. That's for me, my wife and our cat. Doesn't include eating out/delivery, which is usually another $200 to $300 a week.
It's crazy that you guys are spending what my parents used to spend a week for a family of 4 where I used to live with them. $180 a week on grocery and maybe $50 on eating out. Not judging, just crazy to me.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Oh I've noticed. I try my best to keep things under a certain amount. Kitchen is less stocked in general. Not doing any impulse purchases that aren't on my list helps.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Chicken and beef (especially) seems a lot more expensive now. We've been cutting back on meats and forcing more vegetarian options and using dried stuff like beans more so that we don't go over budget. It's kinda annoying noticing the prices of everything go up by 10 or 20 cents here and there in the last year.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
It is quite baffling to me when people don't notice inflation (rising prices) or shrinkflation (smaller package sizes for the same price). The second one I can maybe get because it is intentionally to confuse customers when they slam some big "new improved recipe!!" sticker on it and change the layout of the packaging.

I usually shop when things are on sale and buy more of it to last longer. The sales discounts are quite big from 30-60% depending on the item and when I buy coffee instead of paying 6,49ā‚¬ for it I buy 5 packages when they are 3,33ā‚¬.
The 6,49ā‚¬ coffee I mentioned above was 5,69ā‚¬ less than 2 years ago.

Also the vast majority of price increases is yet to come. Wares you find on the shelves are often from a few months ago (or even more) and now that producer prices are rising by double digits (yes doube digits. 24,3% in Spain hello and I think around 14% in the US or thereabouts) and eventually those big companies are going to pass those prices unto consumers. Maybe early 2022 is when we will see the big ouch in the stores.

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Had to resort to buying food stamps for $0.50 to a dollar and asked my GF to apply for food stamps too.

$70 for groceries barely gets me through the weekā€¦

How about you guys?

I don't know where you live, but as a state worker, please don't tell me you're buying someone else's food stamps. And generally, if you and your GF purchase and prepare food together, you'll have to apply together.

Pinku

Dec 21, 2017
I buy the cheap brands now, and in bulk. This summer vegetables were super expensive but prices has been a bit lower lately.

I spend way to much on groceries a month. Like $800 or more..

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I haven't really noticed but I haven't been doing a lot of grocery shopping lately. I get my dinners via Freshly and their price increase was pretty low compared to what I've seen for general food inflation. When I do grocery shop, I will go from something like a stop and shop (budget) to Whole Foods (mid-tier) to a local grocery market in Cambridge (expensive af) and it can be hard to remember what the price of something is meant to be

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Wisconsin isn't so bad for groceries right now, The only thing I am missing is the 10 for $10 on the small lunchables.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
It's a struggle. Since I'm disabled, I count on food stamps just to survive sometimes. So prices go up, but my benefits are not doing the same.

There will be a breaking point soon.