• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
To be completely honest, my mental health the last couple of weeks has probably been better than at any other time in my life. Still have a couple super depressed days but after completely changing my life a year ago I'm seeing huge benefits. I have lost sixty five pounds, and as of last week have a super amazing women in my life for the first time in ten years. We are "just" friends at the moment on account of her having a eight year old son. But I feel extremely strong on it developing into something more.

Mar 9, 2018
I'm on the verge of suicide if I fail this upcoming test.

I am very unsure as the professor has not clearly delineated what we need to know.

I just am old and this is sort of my last shot.

I'm just very tired.
I've given everything.

OP
OP
Illenium

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
I'm on the verge of suicide if I fail this upcoming test.

I am very unsure as the professor has not clearly delineated what we need to know.

I just am old and this is sort of my last shot.

I'm just very tired.
I've given everything.

I've been there & understand where you're coming from. But please don't give up everything just because of a test. Study everything. I know it's out of your control to know what'll be on the test, but whats in your control is that you can make sure you pass by studying hard. you got this! I believe!

To be completely honest, my mental health the last couple of weeks has probably been better than at any other time in my life. Still have a couple super depressed days but after completely changing my life a year ago I'm seeing huge benefits. I have lost sixty five pounds, and as of last week have a super amazing women in my life for the first time in ten years. We are "just" friends at the moment on account of her having a eight year old son. But I feel extremely strong on it developing into something more.

Congratulations on your weight loss! I'm sure it wasn't easy but an achievement nonetheless! & I'm happy to hear about the woman. For your own sake tho, please just be cautious so you don't fall back into the hole.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm in the middle of a two month leave from my job because of my mental health.

It's the worst it's been in years. On the outside, I appear fine. But on the inside, I'm barely holding it together and wanna scream constantly.

Mar 9, 2018
I've been there & understand where you're coming from. But please don't give up everything just because of a test. Study everything. I know it's out of your control to know what'll be on the test, but whats in your control is that you can make sure you pass by studying hard. you got this! I believe!

Congratulations on your weight loss! I'm sure it wasn't easy but an achievement nonetheless! & I'm happy to hear about the woman. For your own sake tho, please just be cautious so you don't fall back into the hole.

Yeah I am going to try my best. I have studied really hard.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everyone on Era has poor mental health every time it's asked.

Many people here don't seem to even know where to start or the basic differences between psychiatrists vs counselors vs psychologists.

Someone should probably make some kind of "First Timer's Guide to Mental Health." I would do it but I don't really have time or the desire.

OP
OP
Illenium

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Pretty much everyone on Era has poor mental health every time it's asked.

Many people here don't seem to even know where to start or the basic differences between psychiatrists vs counselors vs psychologists.

Someone should probably make some kind of "First Timer's Guide to Mental Health." I would do it but I don't really have time or the desire.

i think it goes without saying that I'm not a person with a PhD in this field to medically treat anybody. But the least I can do is offer anybody who needs it a shoulder to lean on when they can't turn to anybody else. All it takes is just one person to care & it'll change ones life, and I mean genuinely care.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mental health is the best it's ever been!

Work and study have been a little stressful (quite stressful as far as study goes) but I'm incorporating music and exercise to mitigate some of the negative effects. Also been getting out and trying to be more sociable, experience new things etc and I really feel like it's paying off. I went dancing the other day and whilst I felt anxious, I didn't have a panic attack or anything so that was a nice thing. Yeah, shit's just really looking up, I feel content or happy more than anything else now. Used to be in a very bad place so it's awesome. Thanks for asking OP.

I've been cranky today but that's because I have a cold and being in that weird space where I'm too sick to exercise and not sick enough to avoid work is a pain.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not great. I self sabotage and can't seem to stop it. I think I dislike more things about myself than I like.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Honestly? I took 2019 to be a year of self growth and it's been going really well, so my mental health is really good right now. I surrounded myself with a lot of people this year who help keep me in check and actually got to know a good number of people on here who I now talk to literally daily. This year was huge for me, I graduated college and got my bachelor's degree. I also (finally) reached a goal of mine which was to reach Affiliate on Twitch, so that's cool. The only really negative thing going on in my head right now is working on getting a job. I'm (hopefully) picking up some classes on Udemy to relearn coding again and work at creating a portfolio to finally get something going for me career wise. Besides that? I'm just going on with everyday and taking up every challenge that arises. Constantly working on myself, goals, skills and trying to keep the most positive state of mind I can keep.

For reference, 2018 was a horrible year for me and I was a completely different person then. I was in such a bad state, went through so much, went through so many things and learned so many lessons. So, 2019 so far has been good to me and I'm hoping I can keep this positive state of mind up.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's in a better place now. After 6 months of unemployment after graduation I finally got a IT job in my field of interest. Before that I just felt like a failure and worthless. It's a miracle that I somehow kept myself moving forward.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Like I'm freefalling without a parachute what with the state of the world and the fact that I'm in a place where I can choose self employment with little to no guarantee of success, getting a contract or finding a permanent job with again an unknown date to start because jobs don't just fall out of the sky.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Been feeling a bit weird lately, random anxiety I can't even pinpoint the source of, general down mood. Could be the time of year. I'm in my last semester of only three courses after finishing an 8 month co-op term, and will be returning to my job when I graduate. I thought I'd enjoy having a few months of a lot of free time but I think being home so much has actually started to make me feel like shit. Really looking forward to getting back to work.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Work in progress per usual. Been getting back into my yoga routine (going everyday) and started the Kirtan Kriya meditation, which both have been awesome. Yet still, I just don't feel like a part of the fabric of life in a way. Don't really feel I have a place for some reason. Have an awesome wife, some awesome friends (not many, but the ones I have are great), decent job, passion in teaching yoga, yet still have this sort of emptiness and a bit of impostor syndrome throughout daily life.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Better than it was for most of my 30s but I'm still struggling pretty hard thanks to being on the autism spectrum. Hard to keep going when your problems are so deeply rooted.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
It's basically a sin wave. I took a job that pays well but not happy...So I'm basically hanging in there. If it wasn't for a certain coworker, I would have gone crazy here

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Vastly improved. Hang in there my dudes. All this "it gets better" you receive isn't just talk it's true.

Tamati Hemi

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
New Zealand
Has been in absolute turmoil the past few months. Depression lead to hard alcohol abuse which lead to suicidal thoughts. Ive been away from home for 2+years now living in a foreign country where my mother is from. I am so grateful living here since I have lots of family around me that have been so supportive.

These past few months have made me realise how important family is, because they know how Ive been feeling and have been helping me deal with my mental state. Got to a stage where they sat me down last week for a chat and made me open my eyes alot.

So thankfully, I havent touched a drop of drink in 5 days. The longest ive gone without any in 6 months. So ye trying to sort that problem out first so I can start sorting out other issues while having a somewhat clear mind.

To everyone suffering, please talk to someone. Be that a friend, family, counsellor or whoever. It helps so much.

Djkhaled

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really bad. Like beyond belief. I'll be shocked if I make the end of the week. I'm a screw up with BPD. I ruin all relationships and I don't deserve love. I'm waiting to see if my girlfriend will forgive me and if she doesn't I'll be dead Friday.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Pretty fucking shit tbh, but then again not shit enough that I'd say I have an 'issue' nor shit enough that I'd want to worry my family (and cause needless stress to everyone) by trying to really fix it.

However I know that things aren't right but I don't know why they're not right or what I can do to fix it. Whether the way I feel is just 'me' or whether it's a reaction to some of the shitty things happening in my life and in the world around me. I said it in the Mental Health thread but it's like my mind is trying to gaslight itself in multiple ways and it's left me really fucking conflicted.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Pretty decent. Not the best but been a lot worse. Horrible sleep lately is probably the main culprit. And I've been eating a lot of crap last few days so I feel pretty bleh. Gota work on my sleep and diet and I should perk back up. Ever since my head injury a few years ago I find I have to really stay on top of that stuff or my brain gets really foggy and I start getting anxious and scatterbrained. Overall pretty good though.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Been extremely depressed for the past couple of years, and I'm really on edge and snap at people quite often. So it kinda sucks. Trying to fix it though.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I used to see a psychiatrist up until about a year ago. I started getting bored with our sessions (and I think he did too) so I stopped going. Wondering if I should find another or if it's just a waste of time.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Good, I guess. Or that's at least what I've convinced myself.

I have quite a few stressors right now, and I've always had anxiety. There's been some changes with my family this year that I'm not really looking forward to dealing with the upcoming holidays. Overall, it's generally fine.

OP
OP
Illenium

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Really bad. Like beyond belief. I'll be shocked if I make the end of the week. I'm a screw up with BPD. I ruin all relationships and I don't deserve love. I'm waiting to see if my girlfriend will forgive me and if she doesn't I'll be dead Friday.

Your life isn't revolved around an so, trust me, I've been there. Everyone deserves love. If things doesn't work out between you and her, it's just not meant to be and you can find someone who's worth giving all of your love to rather than throwing your whole life away.

I used to see a psychiatrist up until about a year ago. I started getting bored with our sessions (and I think he did too) so I stopped going. Wondering if I should find another or if it's just a waste of time.

how have you been feeling since leaving the psychiatrist vs when you were seeing him?

OP
OP
Illenium

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Pretty fucking shit tbh, but then again not shit enough that I'd say I have an 'issue' nor shit enough that I'd want to worry my family (and cause needless stress to everyone) by trying to really fix it.

However I know that things aren't right but I don't know why they're not right or what I can do to fix it. Whether the way I feel is just 'me' or whether it's a reaction to some of the shitty things happening in my life and in the world around me. I said it in the Mental Health thread but it's like my mind is trying to gaslight itself in multiple ways and it's left me really fucking conflicted.

maybe its a combination of both? I don't think seeing a therapist will cause your family to worry but I think that's the only way for you to get your answer

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a Psych Eval tomorrow morning, so we'll see! LOL

Monstress

Sep 9, 2019
Currently, being at the office is very difficult.
Everyone is pressured, one of my coworkers is going burning herself out and despite my efforts, nothing seems to make her realize she's destroying both her mind and body for a boss who will never thank her.
I burnt myself out 5 years ago, ended up laying in a hospital bed for MONTHS, left my job with several traumas and all I see is her going down the very same path. And I don't know what to do to stop her.
So, I'm not feeling so well lately.

On top of this, I feel constant pain, from dawn to midnight. It's not that horrible, sure (something like 3 or 4/10) but it's my 26th day of feeling like this. Pain, pain, pain, every single time I move, walk, breathe. Thankfully, my doctor listened to me, acknowledged my pain and appointed me to an exam tomorrow.

Tldr: I'm longing for my Christmas holidays. I want to see my grandma (she raised me), hug her, tell her I love her and just enjoy being with my family.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I'm in a good shape. There was a time it wasn't perfect, though. Far from the extreme and self-destructing behaviour, but not ideal either.

I learned over the years not to over-seriously complain and worry about things I can't change and I learned just to accept many things. When I was a teenager I tend to violent behaviour against things (and sometimes people) in order to let them know how pissed I am. Now I'm much much calmer, also when playing video games, too, and while I would have destroyed a keyboard 8 or 10 years ago I now just stop playing if I get pissed.

If something annoys me I usually try to avoid that 'signal' if it's that easy. Is it something that can't or shouldn't be avoided (like people) I usually talk about it. Though I already cut ties with people that tend to do nothing good to me.

So I advise everyone who deals with lot of negativity and/or manipulative behavior of others to set boundaries, say no, and stay firm about your own needs. You are the center of your own universe and life. That's what I call positive egoism. In any first aid class they teach to care about yourself first and don't go into unnecessary risks. Do that in other circumstances as well. You are priority number one and everything else is orbiting around you. Some things like family is very close and almost falls into your center, some things are very distant and need less worry. If something or somehow tries to get the center and you start orbiting around it, something went wrong, no matter if it's an addiction, gambling, alcohol OR a person. Also don't feel bad about (bad) decisions you made. There's no going back so only look back in order to learn from it but not to dwell in it. Go forward. If you can change something and want it, do it. If you can't change something but want it, stop thinking about and live with it. Stop thinking about having or wanting control over everything. Some things are meant to just let happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Good. I've been doing great for basically a year and a half now. I don't need citalopram to function anymore (I also have a sex drive again) and any bumps in the road mental health wise usually last a day and then go away. I've always got my guard up a little during the winter months due to the lack of sunlight and the holidays being a very depressive period for me personally. I should be fine.

I've also started streaming in my free time which has been a great source of distraction and been really fun.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I slept better last week than usual, so apparently I've got a healthier routine. I have problems concentrating, though, and I do feel pretty blue much of the time. Things are generally ok, although during the holidays it's kind of hard because my friends go back to see their families, so I lose contact with them for a while.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Always had moderately bad social anxiety, but I've been doing pretty well for myself in spite of it. I still have to brace myself for most interactions, and I'm pretty awkward around most people, but I've learned to just embrace it and I'm much better for it. I'm educated, I have a good job, and I got married. All of that would've been unimaginable to me just 5 years ago.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Could be better but it has been way worse in the past

Social anxiety is no joke :-(

Pair that with ADD and life can be shit. Therapy helped me immensely so i'm hanging on

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Doing much better than I was during most of 2017-2018, where I basically ate through most of my savings due to not having a job and almost ended up not being able to pay the rent. It really made me feel worthless since I was not getting any job offers for the stuff I applied to, until I miraculously found a good job in the middle of last year and began to do much better.

Only thing now is that I really need a long vacation. Fortunately the holidays coming up will help with that.

I do have other factors that contribute to my stress (such as my student loan payments), but I can deal for now.

Plum

May 31, 2018
maybe its a combination of both? I don't think seeing a therapist will cause your family to worry but I think that's the only way for you to get your answer

Thanks for the replie and that's what I've been thinking, yeah. The world is shite and there ain't exactly much great going on in my own life either (couple that with a traumatic event earlier this year that has yet to be resolved and likely won't without more trauma) but I really shouldn't be feeling the way I do in the many times where everything is fine.

Only issue is finding some help or at least someone to talk to. I can't drive, don't exactly live in an area with lots of mental health coverage (thanks Tories) and if I could find someone the waiting lists would be terrible (again, thanks Tories). It's why my ability to function 'normally' makes things so hard; why should I go through that, and why should the NHS go through that, if there are many more people who need it more?