• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have enough credit for one $60 game and am debating grabbing Daemon x Machina because I'm a big fan of mechs all shapes and sizes (I still own that giant cursed Steel Battalion controller).

I'm thinking of grabbing one of the following:
- Daemon x Machina for mecha goodness
- Kirby as a lifelong fan and in need of something cute and bubbly among this election madness
- Links Awakening as somebody whose favorite 2D Zelda was the gbc version (though I hear the framerate is obnoxious)

I'm also thinking of getting Hyrule Warriors because I loved the original release on the Wii U but barely played it. Would it be silly to buy the first one now and wait for a potential sale later next year on the new one coming out? I love a good mindless romp that those style of games deliver

Vibbon

Jan 22, 2018
DFW Area, TX
Daemon X Machina goes on sale physically for like $35 seemingly every 60 days. At that price, I'd say it's worth it.

EDIT: didn't want to double post

Okay, I didn't mean to have such a flip answer. But DxM is like a 7/10; the combat is fun enough and the story is interesting. However, I wasn't a fan of how grindy the game was.

Out of all the choices you listed, I'd say you'd probably get the most out of Hyrule Warriors with Kirby as a close second. Links Awakening is fine, but it's also not worth $60 imo.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Shall watch this thread, because I'm of a similar persuasion to a degree.

Star Allies is great but doesn't have mechs like Robobot does (I liked it a lot, more than Triple Deluxe but less than Robobot). Link's Awakening runs horrendously and I'm waiting for a hypothetical Switch Pro to play it.

Hyrule Warriors DE is great, but has so much content that you'll likely be burnt out and not want to play AoC as well.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Ninty games don't go on sale often, I don't remember the original HW's price history but wouldn't bank on a cut for Age of Calamity anytime soon.

DxM has the mech goodness. If you want something more involved than a Kirby game (fun games but always been more of a laid back kinda thing for me) and don't want to fight the performance on LA (didn't bother me personally, GB version is my fav 2D Zelda actually) go for it. Main thing is DxM is very close to Armored Core so the gameplay loop is gonna be about the same.

How was that Steel Battalion controller? That shit's right up my alley lmao

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I had an absolute blast with Daemon X Machina. Super fun combat and mechanics. It's not rare to see the cartridge discounted, though.

Star Allies is kinda boring and Link's Awakening is too short/framey for its price.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Kirby Star Allies may not be the best Kirby game, but I was happy to play it. Plus, being able to play as so many characters from the entire history of the series (minus spin-offs like Epic Yarn and Canvas Curse) is what makes the game special for long time fans.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Daemon X Machina goes on sale physically for like $35 seemingly every 60 days. At that price, I'd say it's worth it.

EDIT: didn't want to double post

Okay, I didn't mean to have such a flip answer. But DxM is like a 7/10; the combat is fun enough and the story is interesting. However, I wasn't a fan of how grindy the game was.

Out of all the choices you listed, I'd say you'd probably get the most out of Hyrule Warriors with Kirby as a close second. Links Awakening is fine, but it's also not worth $60 imo.
not a flip answer, I had no idea Deamon goes on sale that cheap, good looking out!

and yeah in regards to Link's Awakening, that's the shitty thing about first-party Nintendo games. like Paper Mario was really charming, but I can't recommend it for $60, and it will never go on sale

Thanks!

OP
OP

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Star Allies is great but doesn't have mechs like Robobot does (I liked it a lot, more than Triple Deluxe but less than Robobot). Link's Awakening runs horrendously and I'm waiting for a hypothetical Switch Pro to play it.

Hyrule Warriors DE is great, but has so much content that you'll likely be burnt out and not want to play AoC as well.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I can just get Hyrule Warriors now, enjoy all the content it has to over, and wait to play AoC for like, a year haha. leaning that way based on the amount of content

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that this also came to Steam which is (obviously) the superior version. Best price yet was 47€ though, according to isthereanydeal. Still a bit pricey for my taste.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I recently out 7-8 hours into the game and overall didn't like it. The story was anime, proper noun filled garbage (unless that's your thing) and while I enjoyed the gameplay for the most part, it's pretty one-note. But at least it seems to be long because I was still only a C Rank mercenary when I dipped it.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It was pretty sweet on PC at 144hz just because it's so insanely smooth. Kinda grundy and I wish it was cheaper so that I could play with friends (who aren't interested in dropping $60 for it).

Switch version ran well enough but I'll be getting rid of my Switch copy as I appreciate the smoothness of the PC version a lot more.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot, even on switch. Messing with controls and HUD allows you to really tune it to your liking. Also, check out some gifs from experienced players.

They also added pvp which if you enjoyed that in Armored Core games, then there's decent replay value right there.

Also, regarding the grind comments. Online and coop play is very much PSO or Monster Hunter in format where you'll replay missions to get drops to improve current gear, get new gear, or unlock blueprints for boss items. It never felt like a grind to me because it was so fun to play and once you and others know the game bosses can be beaten in seconds. At this point I wouldn't expect to lose any missions. As a monhun stan I actually wanted fights to be harder. Also because of my monhun and PSO background I felt item drops were SUPER generous.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
DXM is fantastic, really enjoyable gameplay and tons of customization options. As I always said, I liked it last year much better than Nintendo/Platinum's overhyped Astral Chain.

Link's Awakening remake is good although a bit bloated to justify the $60 tag.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Daemon X Machina was my absolute favourite game last year. If you're a mecha fan, you're in for a really, really, really good time. The customization is fantastic, the story is crazy '90s-style anime bullshit, and the characters are... well, I'll just leave this here:

Play this game; you won't regret it.

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
OP as someone who also loved the original Hyrule Warriors release, you will be completely enamored with the DE. So much stuff added, balance, and gameplay improvements. Get that and AoC too.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
If you wanna have a look at the OT:

www.resetera.com

Daemon X Machina |OT| Rip and Tear at the Armored Core

Developer: Marvelous First Studio Publisher: Nintendo (NA/PAL) | Marvelous (Japan) Platforms: Nintendo Switch Release Date: September 13, 2019 Genre: Anime AF Armored Core Mecha Action + Mecha Monster Hunter Co-Op Missions Demo: Yes, the Prologue Demo is just the proper opening chapter of the...

OP
OP

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I recently out 7-8 hours into the game and overall didn't like it. The story was anime, proper noun filled garbage (unless that's your thing) and while I enjoyed the gameplay for the most part, it's pretty one-note. But at least it seems to be long because I was still only a C Rank mercenary when I dipped it.
what does "proper noun filled garbage" mean?

OP
OP

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It was pretty sweet on PC at 144hz just because it's so insanely smooth. Kinda grundy and I wish it was cheaper so that I could play with friends (who aren't interested in dropping $60 for it).

Switch version ran well enough but I'll be getting rid of my Switch copy as I appreciate the smoothness of the PC version a lot more.
oh damn didn't know it was on pc those buttery frames sound fantastic

OP
OP

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Might go grab a physical cart for Daemon for $45 at GameStop and then buy Hyrule with my credit. I love deep mech customization and absurd anime bullshit (as long as it's not stereotypical moe shit)

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Get it on pc over switch if you can, it's fucking fantastic and the fps really really improves the game feel and speed.

You can see the difference between these two reviews pretty easy

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
????

What the heck is "proper noun filled garbage"?

baberunisei

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can you consider yourself obsessed with mecha not having played Daemon X Machina yet?

Jk, it's a great game, I recommend it but would be ideal to get it on a sale

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
????

What the heck is "proper noun filled garbage"?
"The mega fortress" ran by "super corp" using "the particle cannon" is a danger to "happy land" we need you "joe" to use "mega mech" and attack it with "ultra blast"

replace quotes with real names of stuff

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
"The mega fortress" ran by "super corp" using "the particle cannon" is a danger to "happy land" we need you "joe" to use "mega mech" and attack it with "ultra blast"

replace quotes with real names of stuff
Oh thanks for clarifying at first I thought you were talking about he/him she/her stuff and I was like uhhhh bro?

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao y'all never notice this about anime? Like, the protagonist is always a special someone who's a _____ in the world. I feel like it's doubly so for mecha cuz they always name the robot suits something specific.
It's a very weird way to make a critique.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's just a quirk of anime that annoys me is all so YMMV
There are also better and clearer ways to describe things that annoy you.

But if specific or significant fictional items, locations, and events having proper names annoys you, there must be a lot of fiction out there, anime or otherwise, that drives you nuts.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
7/10. It's not bad, but I haven't wanted to pick it back up since I put it down.

I found it to be disappointing and arcadey. I got it at launch as someone addicted to mecha and, while I won't say it's a bad game, I will say that it does feel like a rather desolate, flavorless one.

Ignoring the forgettable, throwaway narrative, the combat is underwhelming, spammy, imprecise, and unambitious. The level visuals are reminiscent of dynasty warrior maps in character, detail, and repetition. Add on the fact that you'll be doing a great deal of that combat on those maps because the game is so grindy and it becomes a real slog. On top of that, the customization is extremely limited, practically speaking, by the way the stats and parts work.

Everything outside of combat falls short of where it should be, and everything in combat feels more suitable for an arcade machine at a bowling alley.

Get it at a deep discount, I guess. You're not missing anything if you skip it though.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
I'm "obsessed" with mechas but I found DxM to be quite a boring experience through the 10 hours I put in it. Definetely couldn't be compared to Armored Core.
But if you ever want to get into it, please choose the japanese voice dub, there's a couple of great cameos if you're into Gundam—they certainly made me happy

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed the Switch demo but not enough to buy it. Performance was pretty bad on Switch so if I ever get it, it'll be in a cheap Steam sale.

OP
OP

Deleted member 29691

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

oh I should ask, how is Hyrule Warriors in handheld mode? I remember some of the text being hard to read in Fire Emblem Warriors and I almost exclusively play in handheld (primary console is a lite)

It's mido

One Winged Slayer
Jan 23, 2018
As a fellow mecha fan I can't recommend DxM. It does come off as a weak Armored Core game. Very repetitive and mindless to play, sadly.

Link's Awakening is among the best Zelda has to offer so you should give it a shot.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are also better and clearer ways to describe things that annoy you.

But if specific or significant fictional items, locations, and events having proper names annoys you, there must be a lot of fiction out there, anime or otherwise, that drives you nuts.

Ehhhhh I don't know, I agree with that critique above. Anime seems to really dial up the "proper noun dialogue" to 11. It's pretty obnoxious. I consume a good amount of fiction and no other genre (is anime a genre?) does this as much as anime does.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying it a good deal, transferred my Switch demo data to the full game. Having Yusuke Kozaki as character designer on top of Shoji Kawamori doing the mechanical designs is a bonus.
Ehhhhh I don't know, I agree with that critique above. Anime seems to really dial up the "proper noun dialogue" to 11. It's pretty obnoxious. I consume a good amount of fiction and no other genre (is anime a genre?) does this as much as anime does.
Anime = medium, not a genre.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Also interested to know.

How is the progression? Do you feel like you are getting stronger at a good pace?

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
Last year, the demo convinced me enough to pick up the game at launch. I wish I'd waited as I'd rather play it on PC, but at that time it wasn't known that it was coming out on it.

I haven't finished the game (played several hours and did some co-op multiplayer boss battles), but can say that the demo is representative enough of the core game loop and will give you an idea of what you'd be getting with the full version. Definitely worth trying out for yourself.

In the demo, I ended up repeating the same missions and grinding for all of the parts that were available as I enjoyed the game play and customizing my mech.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
oh I should ask, how is Hyrule Warriors in handheld mode? I remember some of the text being hard to read in Fire Emblem Warriors and I almost exclusively play in handheld (primary console is a lite)
I can't speak to that - I've only played it on Wii U and 3DS. Hopefully someone else in the thread has experience there.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I am a huge mecha fan but was quite disappointed by DxM. I never finished it. The story and dialogue are absolute trash tier, gameplay is pretty imprecise and controls don't respond properly (mech sometimes randomly skyrockets upwards instead of slowly going higher when pressing the thrust button for example, weird). Sound design is horrendous (that machine gun sound, ughhh). Customization is pretty good, but the in game experience was not satisfying for me. I went on to replay (and complete) Armored Core 4 after this one. I can't really recommend DXM. I will try to pick up where I left it at some point probably... One day.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
It'll run and look better on PC, of course, but for the downsides there's the cheaters online (mostly an issue if you PvP), and the flamethrower being glitched on >30 fps.
Switch runs at 30fps and can have drops.
I have no idea how both online communites are today (online coop is nice), but a new update dropped today for th anniversary, so it might bring some people back.

I liked the gameplay but been away from mech games since the PS2, ha.