• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
This is the part where I mention the Danny Brown song playing on the RAGE trailer that everyone liked just a few minutes after the MKXI trailer and nobody says anything.

Some people hate rap. It is the most popular genre now, so a lot of people like it, too. But not everyone likes 21 Savage. I love rap and that song did not fit. Low energy.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Third Strike used hip hop and rap and it is still my most beloved Soundtrack in a fighting game.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not even a fan of rap and i thought the music was fitting... at least the background instrumentals were. The lyrics were aggressively stupid, and I'd love to hear someone dissect what a "shit taco" is supposed to be.

SleeperBWG

Dec 18, 2018
They're damn racist plain and simple who don't want black faces or voices in their damn games.

That is a bit of an extreme stance and a very big assumption... Have you ever just thought, maybe they just don't like rap. Myself, I would just turn the in game music off and play my own in the background and move on with my day if I don't like the music, but some people like to complain on the internet about little stuff.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I think part of it is there are a lot of people who don't bother to try and listen to new music once they reach a certain age. As a result they only listen to older music and basically shun anything else.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think part of it is there are a lot of people who don't bother to try and listen to new music once they reach a certain age. As a result they only listen to older music and basically shun anything else.

It really comes down to this. People don't like to step out of their comfort zones.

I understand wanting to jump down the easiest path with certain genres when people dismiss them. I feel that way all the time when it comes to pop or queer artists, like straight white guys are never going to give this an honest listen or chance because it may be too flamboyant or queer for them.

But people who are open minded with music will listen and sometimes surprise themselves. You gotta pick your battles and unless someone is actively racist or bigoted with their choice, it's really all based on assumption.

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory drive-by post. History of trolling in sensitive discussions.
misogynistic, mostly.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The track on that trailer fit it really well. I like how they aligned the game sounds with the beats, gave the cinematic a cool moody feel.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
It's funny to see people hate on a 21 savage song and then praise the DMCV devil trigger song lmao. That shit sucks, and that live performance was one of the cringiest things I've ever witnessed, I felt bad for everyone involved.

I never really trust the music taste of "gamers" as a whole though. It just seems like a community that only listens to shit like Dragon Force and butt rock.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
Fuckers, I like rock, metal, rap and country. Oldies, classical and pop. Latin music of all flavors, especially rock. I like blues and alternative. I love Japanese, German, and French music and songs.
I win.
And I need to get me some Mortal Kombat.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
Wait, so people are saying others are racist because they didn't like the 21 savage song? I don't mind rap but that song was awful, like the worst song I've ever heard in a game trailer.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny to see people hate on a 21 savage song and then praise the DMCV devil trigger song lmao. That shit sucks, and that live performance was one of the cringiest things I've ever witnessed, I felt bad for everyone involved.

I never really trust the music taste of "gamers" as a whole though. It just seems like a community that only listens to shit like Dragon Force and butt rock.

I'm pretty sure I've seen hate for the DMC song too.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really obnoxious that when someone complains they don't like a song in a trailer someone immediately points to them being racist.

Let people dislike things without painting them a certain way, it's super disingenuous.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Complaining about rap in videogames is soooo 2018.

2019 is all about complaining about video gamers complaining about rap in videogames.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always has to turn this into some racial shit. Not everything is racial. Many have said they didn't like the song in general or it didn't fit with the trailer.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think I'll just add to the group saying that the song used wasn't really a good fit, not because it was rap, but the song itself.

It felt jarring and didn't fit the tone of the trailer.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

DMC has kinda fostered that buttrock aesthetic for many years. It's awful but that awful matches the series tropes lol.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
They should have used this song if they wanted to go the 21 Savage route:

You think a song about using guns should be in a trailer for a game about (mostly) melee combat?

Jokes aside, I generally like 21s flow and voice but I'm not the biggest fan of this kind of lyrical content. But people can listen to whatever the fuck they want. I only comment about shitty music if I think it is artificial/no talent crap. If an artist is real and has talent or heart, I respect em.

The song from the trailer I thought was alright. They could have done better. But OP is definitely right when he/she says those kind of comments in the thread could be low key fueled by racism. I wouldn't stigmatize the whole forum like that though. As a 30 year old white guy in eastern KY, I'm no stranger to the hate on rap that stems from nothing but racism.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
DMC has kinda fostered that buttrock aesthetic for many years. It's awful but that awful matches the series tropes lol.
Oh I'm well aware. DMC is actually my favorite series, but the butt rock was just something I laughed at/tolerated. Seeing people genuinely enthused for it and like, actively listening to it for fun just reminds me that a large portion of gamers like terrible garbage.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
If you can think of something, you'll find someone somewhere willing to complain about it. If you're asking "why is complaining about rap in videogames still a common thing", it isn't. Just a few forum loudmouths with bad taste as far as I can tell.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of stupid getting thrown around in this thread. Rap is the number one genre in the US now. A lot of white people clearly have to like it to achieve that number. Some notes from it.

"Streaming now accounts for 54% of total audio consumption, composing the majority of audio consumption for the first time ever. (For comparison, streams accounted for 38% of total audio consumption in 2016 and a mere 22% in 2015.) "

"19 songs surpassed 500 million streams in 2017; of those, 17 came from the R&B/hip-hop genre. "

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I remember in the first thread on the song choice for the trailer, there was a dude who called the song "lazy and ignorant" and I just pictured a neck beard in his 30's furiously typing while wearing an MC Chris shirt and listening to Dance with the Devil by Immortal Technique on repeat.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I didn't liked it because it didn't fit the trailer, like at all...
Put a better hip-hop/rap song and fits the trailer, and way less people would be complaining about it

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I do think there's a contengent of older dudes who don't think rap fits video games and that is wack
However I'm not fond of the MK11 trailer music with the trailer all that much

Rap fits fighting games great, that just didn't go with that one

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
The song in the trailer was the only thing that has ever interested me about Mortal Kombat. I thought it was a pretty fun juxtaposition.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I don't mind rap but that trailer sucked because of the song . The pacing and the tone of the rapping was too sleepy for what was going on in the actual video. Atleast the lyrics were kinda related to fighting. They could have even had the trailer without the lyrics and it would have been better.

But of course the other place would be worse when talking about this.

The only genre that wouldn't work at all is country

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
You think a song about using guns should be in a trailer for a game about (mostly) melee combat?

Jokes aside, I generally like 21s flow and voice but I'm not the biggest fan of this kind of lyrical content. But people can listen to whatever the fuck they want. I only comment about shitty music if I think it is artificial/no talent crap. If an artist is real and has talent or heart, I respect em.

The song from the trailer I thought was alright. They could have done better. But OP is definitely right when he/she says those kind of comments in the thread could be low key fueled by racism. I wouldn't stigmatize the whole forum like that though. As a 30 year old white guy in eastern KY, I'm no stranger to the hate on rap that stems from nothing but racism.
Remove the hook from the song and the content of the verses almost match up perfectly with fighting someone. I played it with the volume muted and there's a line where 21 says "most the time I be caked up with my stick bro" and Raiden picked up his staff at the same time lol
One man army from the get-go (Get-go)
One man army pullin' kick doors (Kick doors)
Talkin' out yo' neck get you tag toed (Tag toed)
I'm a killer whale, you a tadpole (Tadpole)
Nigga, you got asthma, you don't want smoke (Straight up)
Who want cancer? I'm giving out smoke (Straight up)
I got too many bitches, I can't trip bro (On God)
Most of the time, I be caked up with my stick bro (On God)
Yeah, AK make yo' brotha do the limbo (On God)
Make this Glock "Shiggy Challenge" out the window (On God)
Savage, why you always rappin' 'bout guns for? (Straight up)
'Cause, bitch, I fell in love with the gun smoke (Straight up)
Change AK to MK, Change Glock to Block, remove the last two lines and pickup half through the next verse.

My main issue with the song trailer is it seems like the song is literally placed right onto the trailer without any editing to better flow with the content. Had they edited the song a bit and added some drops to the beat to accentuate the hits I think it would have been much better.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Some people don't like rap. It'd be similar if they used country music.

Mortal kombat is also more of a hardcore property in terms of violence and presentation, and befits metal and rock,