• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i have no problem with rap songs being in games. i just didnt think that the song worked with the trailer that well

OP
OP

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
because a lot of rap is garbage. stop chalking this up to racism or some shit. let's not pretend the MK IX song is a good song just because it's rap or hip-hop. it's a shit song, plain and simple. Just because a lot of people find a song to be shitty does not mean they're racists. What is with that ridiculous conclusion? Why, can't you accept that your favourite genre isn't other people's favourites?

I don't even listen to rap but I don't go out of my way to complain about it IRL or message boards.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
If it was rap that's not the mumble/trap variety I would be good. It just sucks that this game isn't coming out in the 90s when rap was at its best. I'd love to hear Mob Deep over the MK trailer instead.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was mostly fitting for the trailer. Don't know why so many people took issue with it. It's not like the music is the focus of the trailer.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I want to say after reading this thread, how is rap vs rock still a thing in 2018?

33 years after Aerosmith and Run DMC performed together and here we are lol.

Besides... I think EDM is going to sweep away both as the most popular genre in a few years :) *runs*

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Same middle aged dorky white fucks that complained about the Wiz Khalifa track in the MKX trailer.
I don't know why people are bringing up this narrative lol. Hip hop is extremely popular across many demographics. If it was only popular with minorities it would not enjoy its current mainstream status.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I don't even listen to rap but I don't go out of my way to complain about it IRL or message boards.

then that's on you, and at the same time it's their prerogative to voice out their opinions. it's a video game they like and so they can criticise it however they want. you don't go out of your way to complain about a trailer music on message boards, yet here you are complaining about people complaining about trailer music. isn't that ironic?

if my fave franchise debuts its newest trailer and it's some shitty song and they're pretty much sticking to that shitty song all throughout their marketing and into the official soundtrack, you can bet your ass I am gonna complain about it.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a hip hop fan, it's the genre I listen to most, and the track from the MK11 trailer is pretty weak and doesn't fit the tone nor action very well. It's not all complaining about rap, but complaining about that specific song to that specific trailer.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is definitely racial bias but I'm a 90s rap og, the trailer song sucks rotten ass. They coulda gone with Wu-Tang's "Triumph" or a gritty 90s beat from RZA or Havoc. "Apostle's Warning" would have banged too.

"My empire strikes with the strength of poisonous snakes..." has combat of the mortal variety written all over it.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The song didn't fit the trailer and fans of MK largely have different music expectations. Simple as that. And nothing bad about it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
There was a thread about the trailer. People commented on the trailer, including the music choice. It's not a big deal. People are not going out their way to complain. It literally takes seconds and couple clicks and keyboard strokes. These are not essays or YT videos. Most one are only one sentence replies.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Most times it's shitty rap though.

And some games just seem to fit rap more than others. Call of Duty, Fight Night, Madden, have used rap really well in commercials, trailers, and within the games.

Mortal Kombat though? Doesn't give off rap vibes to me. I'd say the same thing if TLOU, NHL, DOOM, or Battlefield marketed themselves with rap.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't like a lot of music from trailers, if it was a series I really cared about and the song was garbage I would probably complain on a board. People don't have an ulterior motive, they just don't like the song. I think the song is pretty decent, but it really doesn't fit the trailer IMO.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes when someone doesn't like something they complain about it. It happens rather often, I'd say.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all remember this? Now is was hype as shit.

Lol, while trying to find this video I came across this post from 8 years ago:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/975211-super-street-fighter-iv/54276202

This dude is pissed that they went with modern rap music when they could've gone with someone like the RZA.

DZzZ925.png

People bitching about music in a trailer is as old as time.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I do agree sometimes it's a race thing with some people not liking rap. However, I don't think it's fair to say someone is racist because they don't like it. It's a preference just like with most genres of entertainment.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
There was such a divide in sports gaming communities a decade ago over this, it was hilarious. You had this old guard of old white sports gaming fans (which I am, but wasn't on the same side of the argument re: soundtracks), like the people who would also complain when an NFL player doesn't stand for the national anthem or who tells athletes to "Shut up and play," and then you had this also huge audience of more ethnically diverse, probably younger, fans who were also into the games because they're fans of the sport... And the games started to naturally cater to that audience with the sound tracks, which got better and better every year. And the old guard were so salty that the generic drone of crappy videogame music was replaced with legitimate bangers of pop hip hop songs.

NBA Live 2004 was one of the first that I remember the "controversy" with, and it was often compared by detractors to MVP Baseball '04 which had a much more pop-punk, pop-rock sound track (and still a pretty good one too). And NBA Live 2004 went onto be the first videogame soundtrack to ever chart and sell some specific milestone (I forget what the milestones are now, googey might reveal this). If you twitter search "NBA Live 2004" there's still tons of posts of people talking about how great that sound track was.

Every once in a while you sitll see the complaint on a forum like OperationSports, where some 40-year-old dude who doesn't know why they can't just keep politics out of sports complains about "crap soundtrack" and how they have to turn off the music immediately. I generally think that despite they're generally great soundtracks, Madden and most sports games are complete shit these days, but I still want to walk up to that dude and shake the hell out of him and be like "these games are not made for us, get over it."

For this Mortal Kombat trailer ... I don't think the song fits the trailer, seemed very odd and not the right pace for the action, but I'm also an old white guy who doesn't even play fighting games and saw the original Mortal Kombat movie in the theatre, so I don't think I'm the audience for it to judge.

Last edited:

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I first saw that trailer, I thought "is this a fan-edit?", because the song felt so off. I don't really think of hip hop or rap when I see the imagery of Mortal Kombat.

I could see it work perfectly for Tekken and maybe Street Fighter, but not Mortal Kombat.

Then again, I'm the guy that would like to see The Body compose an album for Mortal Kombat:
https://youtu.be/A3EAujCdfJ4

bigosc

Oct 27, 2017
Shit im tired of ea throwing in the token country song in madden, if anything i want my NFL films music back in the game.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I want to say after reading this thread, how is rap vs rock still a thing in 2018?

33 years after Aerosmith and Run DMC performed together and here we are lol.

Besides... I think EDM is going to sweep away both as the most popular genre in a few years :) *runs*

EDM had its run and is starting to drain itself. I would say 5 years ago is when it was at the peak. I would personally like to see more queer artists in different genres move into the mainstream.

That's just because they're annoying dipshits.

Slipknot and Nickelback have more defenders around here than is healthy.

Do you honestly think insulting a group of people on here is going to help the negative tone of this thread? You can call popEra loud or extra, but to put them down because they're a fan base, like any other here, is shitty.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I like a lot of newer rappers like Travis $cott, Ski Mask, Lil Simz (personally more into Grime as a Brit) but I just don't dig 21's style at all, probably because I don't take xans or I'm not trying to be cutting edge by saying "this stuff's good you're just old you senile piece of shit".

However, racism is involved in some people's opinions and that's where the true nature of the problem lies: gamers outside of FGC aren't very diverse, they're usually white, male middle class loners.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I've been listening to 21 Savage since the Slaughter Tape days and even I think that song was a terrible choice for the trailer. 100% did not fit with the content.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah that song, I didnt participate in that thread but I dont like that song either, seems like a bad fit. The rap song in 3rd strike was dope though so Im not hating on the genre, hell, much rather have R&B in Sonic games than the terrible pop music they out on them.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
What's funny is that the song isn't even going to be in the game.

Literally just one basic reveal trailer was enough to get everyone's panties bunched up

Objektivity

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People in this thread trying to make rap criticism about race when the majority of hiphop listeners are Caucasian.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like some rap, prefer older hip hop in general to newer stuff though. But this song was drab, borderline monotone. I felt zero energy coming off the guy and it doesn't really fit in a trailer with people brutally mutilating each other as is typical of MK.

Even if I'm not a big fan of modern rap there's so many better choices they could have gone with from it. Not thinking a song doesn't fit with a trailer isn't a slight against an entire genre and even someone not being a fan of a genre doesn't have to be

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
People are dumb, but also, that trailer was dumb. Who hears that and thinks "Ahh yes, Mortal Kombat indeed"?

You can like a genre of music and still think it might not be a good fit for something. Of course with how varied genres are, I'm sure you can find songs to fit into most things.

That said, it was just for the trailer, if people are still mad, then they're just looking to be mad.