• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zereta

Oct 26, 2017
Been listening to Giant Bomb's new podcast interview with Samantha Kalman and they were talking about Astroneer, a game I remember seeing a couple of years ago I think, that's still changing but don't really hear people talking about.

Does anyone here play it/have played it? What do you guys think?

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
It's a real good survival type game especially if you like space stuff! I haven't played recently, but it seemed to be a light on content but overall really polished and well made for what was being advertised as a pre-alpha at the time.
Especially good to play with friends. Big fan of it so far, I hope they continue to add to it.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It has a really nice and tactile inventory system. You'd think that low inventory limits would doom a survival game but it somehow works.

Aside from that, I got bored quicky when I played it but that was when it first appeared on Steam.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I haven't played it in a long time, although I've been meaning to return to it. When I did play it, it was obviously early, but still a very fascinating and fun exploration/survival game.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Neat but unfinished. I'm waiting for a bit more of a final product before spending on it, but it has a ton of potential. I get thel same feel from it that I do from slime rancher.

Oct 25, 2017
Been a couple of months since I played it, its still a long way from being a finished game but it has its charms.

There's no goals to aim for yet but I found it to be a really relaxing experience as I wandered around digging and building whatever I felt like.

I kinda preferred some of the earlier builds, where the research system was more rudimentary and had less progression because it was easier to dick around building dumb shit but it's still fun for what it is.

I love the lack of a traditional HUD and the way the UI is diegetic is really clever. There's some moments when planets align in the sky or you're stood on the moon and a planet comes over the horizon and fills half the screen that make you think "damn, this game is pretty amazing"

Typing this out makes me want to load it up and continue my quest to dig a giant mine shaft to the centre of the planet. I managed to dig down deep enough that if I loaded the save on Xbone and jumped down my free fall would stop five or six times as the console struggled to stream everything in and you can tell that there is less gravity at the bottom of the hole. It's so dumb and pointless but simultaneously kind of cool and I love that.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
They're mostly working on the core systems still (mostly replacing existing simple system with deeper ones), the amount of content and tech is therefore limited for now. It's quite fun to play already but it only takes a few hours to run out of things to do.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
It's the only minecraft-like game that i enjoyed. Some parts of it are truly beautiful and atmospheric despite the stylized low detail graphics. it's not a game you will constantly find new things to do and see though - new experiences, yeah, but with old 'assets" for the lack of a better word

wish i could hook up my kids on it instead of minecraft/roblox but no success. oh well

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was so intrigued by a kotaku article on it ( https://steamed.kotaku.com/i-love-astroneer-for-its-optimism-1791447725 ) that I picked it up. It's a game that feels very fun to play around with its systems; building a suitable network of nodes to keep you safe as you traverse a planet, building a ship and flying to a moon, it's all a real joy. It's a game that feels simple in its goals of wonderment and progression but hits them pretty solidly.

Like others have said, though, it still needs some time to cook content-wise. I ran out of compelling things to do before too long. But loved my time up till then.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
It's a fun game to go explore but its not a compete experience as people have said.

I check back in every once in a while and it's nice to see the updates being made.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Picked the game up as it was 20% off and it is Play Anywhere. I've spent a good number of hours with it (didn't track, 10+ for sure). It is definitly the kind of game that appeals to me and sucks me in until 2:00 AM.

I've tried it both PC (old i5 / 1060) and Xbox (One X). I'd have to say I really prefer this on PC. The Xbox controls are perfectly useable, but the game seems much easier (to me) with a mouse. But it is mainly about performance... my PC gives buttery smooth experiences @ 1080p for this game. The One X is fine, seems sub 30fps at points. But it definitly doens't seem as smooth. Seems like it is one of those games that suffers for being at 4K, but the developers offer no option to have a "performance mode" or similar. Both platforms have had crashes that boot me out of the game (seems infrequent, I've played 10+ hours over the weekend and it has happened once on each platform). But since it is manual save only (vehicles aside), it cost me a good chunk of progress.

I really enjoy the power system in the game, and the exploration has been fun. There have been some really great moments like unlocking the first gateway.

I think the planets are a bit too big, even the small ones. It is very easy to go too far and lose your base, beacons really need to have a longer range.

Things I wish I knew on the first playthrough:

+ Carry a spare beacon with you, you never know when you will find something interesting.

+ BEFORE you head out from your base to explore, click on your Astroneer; it will show you a compass. So you can at least get a rough idea of the direction to head back to base.

+ Put things in the research center back at base, don't scan in the field unless there is no other choice. The base scanner gives WAY more bits. For example, the best things (I have found) to research are from the exo pods, the "research modules". Scan in the field and get ~ 350 bits, somewhat respectable. That same module in the research center will give ~ 1350 bits. This works for everything, including the little plants and rocks. Also if you are in a bind for bits, you can research regular resources as well, for example a stack of resin gives ~ 100 bits.

+ Not every planet has every resource. So don't waste your time looking for Iron on the first world for example. The worlds are large enough to get lost, but there are not really "special" things out there. You can see every resource the planet has within a few minute radius of your landing zone (or under).

+ The tutorial has you believe that metals are just sitting above ground waiting for you... but outside of the tutorial I have always had to dig down into undeground caves to find them.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
+ BEFORE you head out from your base to explore, click on your Astroneer; it will show you a compass. So you can at least get a rough idea of the direction to head back to base.
ha didnt know about the compass. i remember playing a few years ago and got lost after i ventured too far out.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Systems are good, aesthetic is good but lacks something to keep you playing. There is an endgame type of mystery but I feel like the game needs something else to keep you exploring and crafting. Once you've researched everything you need it gets pretty stale.

FreDre

Apr 10, 2018
Argentina
It needs multiplayer with servers and more crafting.
There's a lot of potential, but it still feels incomplete, feature-wise.