• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How involved

• Don’t follow them, don’t vote in them

• Don’t follow them, still vote

• Follow them, but don’t vote

• Follow them, vote

• Follow, vote, and donate

• Follow, vote, donate, volunteer

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Seems like we talk a lot of politics here, well, how involved are you?

To break the ice, I'll admit that all I do is vote in major elections, and recently I've made some donations to my preferred candidates.

Nov 28, 2017
I am an elected member of the city council. I prefer to get involved in local politics, national politics is of very little interest to me. But I do vote in all elections (parliamentary, presidential, European...)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
used to be heavily involved in my mid 20-30s. donated, volunteered, whatever i could. but 2016 disillusioned me so much i'm like the vietnam vet who stares off into space most of the time. aside from voting i don't care anymore

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Talking about it and actively participating on it raises my blood pressure so I just watch the world burn.

Voting for general election and midterm is how far I participate.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Well involved, I know all the bad things my candidates do/talk, as well as the good things about those Im not voting for. No other way to vote consciously. Im in favor of state funded politics so I dont donate (in Brazil the parties already get money from the government).

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not at all! I would actually say I'm extremely ignorant on almost all forms of the subject, but also everyone I personally know is. I'm always surprised by the idea of discussing politics with friends or family its so completely foreign to me.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
To those that volunteer, any advice for someone who wants to but is crippled by social anxiety?

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
To those that volunteer, any advice for someone who wants to but is crippled by social anxiety?

I canvassed for the first time last year during the midterms. I'm a pretty sociable person, but it is extremely stressful, even though you know you're talking to people who previously voted dem in a prior election. I suggest leveling up your social skills in another area first. Go to Meetups, social events in your industry, hobby groups, etc.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I went canvassing last year during the midterms and have every intention to step up again for 2020.
when I was still in germany I was heavily involved in local politics.

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I'm thinking of phone/text banking this year. Anyone with experience that can share what it's like?
Also curious about this and any other "beginner" type forms of volunteering

And what types of groups are best to join out of the following:
A candidates specific group
The party itselfs group
A voting advocacy group, like Gollum's "bring it home Florida"

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I stay up-to-date in politics, or as much as I can be. I vote in every Democratic primary, mid-term election, and general election. I should donate to Bernie Sanders' campaign in the near future. Long term, I would love to volunteer in some capacity. Even longer term, running for a public office position would be something I'd be highly interested in, but I'm not so sure that I can do a good job at it. If I were to get involved in public office, I'd want to do it to run on a progressive left platform. That's the only motivation I'd have to do it. To help my community.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I vote (obv), donate, and volunteer for local campaigns, including door knocking and phone banking. I also regularly protest, though less recently due to having two kids.

My wife has also ran campaigns for several local candidates.

Oct 25, 2017

The party itselfs group
Okay, experienced Florida activist and volunteer here - Gillum's org is called Forward Florida Action if you're looking to join. If you're young, say, high school or college age, March for Our Lives Florida is a great place to start. You can also join individual campaigns, like those for state house or senate, federal house or senate, or any of the major presidential candidates later into primary season. There's also the state party, though it is somewhat corrupt and takes questionable donations at higher levels. If you have any questions or want me to point you in a direction based on your location, feel free to PM me here.

As for the poll results, I understand it's hard to make time to do more than vote, but good candidates desperately need help for simple tasks like organizing, mailing, door-knocking, and so on. Give a few weekends of your time to someone you support. Please. Good politics doesn't happen without good people.

Addressing the social anxiety thing, campaigns will pretty much always offer to pair you up with someone who has done the job before so you don't have to go out there alone. It's inefficient at first but to them it's just training another good volunteer.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Actively participate in local politics and am a member of a few action committees here in WV. Usually donate a couple hundred to political candidates I back each year. I have phone banked and knocked on doors, and participated in large and small scale protests. We all have a voice in the political arena, and being willing to use it is the first step toward progress and change for the better.

It's small, but we just managed to kill a vendor contract that a local xenophobic, homophobic state rep had with the local university here by using a calling campaign and petition to the school. He has his company's logo on all his legislative media/door to his office/laptops, and is very vocal about his business not participating in anything related to Pride week. Genuine piece of shit human being, and by ensuring that the University knew our opinions and the opinions of their student base (a lot of our canvassing was around campus) we showed him that if he wants to use his business as a platform to push his political views, that business can be impacted negatively when the people don't like what he has to say.

GeometryHead

Oct 27, 2017
I follow politics and vote, but I have never felt like getting more involved than that. There are better ways to spend my time and money.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Labour Party [UK] - Follow, Vote, Volunteer/do photography work for free

OP
OP
Blue Skies

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Okay, experienced Florida activist and volunteer here - Gillum's org is called Forward Florida Action if you're looking to join. If you're young, say, high school or college age, March for Our Lives Florida is a great place to start. You can also join individual campaigns, like those for state house or senate, federal house or senate, or any of the major presidential candidates later into primary season. There's also the state party, though it is somewhat corrupt and takes questionable donations at higher levels. If you have any questions or want me to point you in a direction based on your location, feel free to PM me here.

As for the poll results, I understand it's hard to make time to do more than vote, but good candidates desperately need help for simple tasks like organizing, mailing, door-knocking, and so on. Give a few weekends of your time to someone you support. Please. Good politics doesn't happen without good people.

Addressing the social anxiety thing, campaigns will pretty much always offer to pair you up with someone who has done the job before so you don't have to go out there alone. It's inefficient at first but to them it's just training another good volunteer.

Hey thanks! I'll pm you in a bit

And cool, didn't know that about the pairing up

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
I don't follow elections and have never voted, I'm also 19 and haven't really had much chance to anyways. It just stresses me out and fills me with negativity.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

The party itselfs group
Last year https://crushthemidterms.org/ was a great resource telling you exactly what local race you could get involved with and how. From telephone banking to knocking on doors. I expect something else to drop up for the next election cycle.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Only sort of follow. Vote in in presidential elections and midterms, dont vote in any other elections or primaries. Would never volunteer or donate.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I come from a very politically active family, from being involved in movements to having active positions of governance, but i never wanted to be a part of it. I was also sort of an anarch when i was younger. Now i just vote.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Follow (to a certain degree) and vote. My participation in the past was usually only around the time of presidential elections but that has been increasing of late, and I voted in the midterms despite not being in the US anymore. The world sucks right now so yeah gotta participate even if it feels hopeless.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Follow as in seeing them on news? Sure when I see them in the news but dont actively pursue them.

Vote? Yes

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Follow vote donate (too much to losing causes), no volunteer but plenty of signs on my property