• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I still think Sucker Punch would've made a better Spider-Man than Insomniac :/

I would said the same. Especially when I was on my Second Son vibe. Game would've looked sharp.

But it's not just about the look. Recently I got a chance to play Sunset Overdrive and it made so much sense. The movement and the mechanics translate so well. Insomniac was it and they delivered.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think Sucker Punch would've made a better Spider-Man than Insomniac :/

I'm glad we got what we got, Insomniac had their most successful game ever, and Sucker Punch is working on Ghost of Tsushima, which has its own distinct look if nothing else :).

Relationship with otto was fantastic and the final fight was one of the best I've ever played.

Yeah Peter's loss of innocence and disappointment with his relationship with Otto, thinking he failed him as a surrogate son, hit me pretty hard.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Full production in 2017 ?
Wow so we might see Spider-Man 2 sooner than expected

"Full production" likely just means the whole Burbank studio. The project began in late 2014, so it probably spent a year in pre-production, and then in 2016 they probably had a team prototyping and building out the core mechanics of the game, and getting to work on some art assets. Following the wrap of Ratchet & Clank in 2106, most of the Burbank's crew working on that shifted over and they got into full swing on Spider-Man.

Since their engine was already built for Open World games, I think the overhead on what they needed to accomplish was much smaller. Looking at a sequel, the time it'll take to deliver probably depends more on how well their engine will translate to next gen hardware, and how scalable it is. If it needs serious modification (unlikely) the. It'll take longer.

I expect a 2021 / 2022 release date, but mostly because I'm thinking Sony is going to go hard on funding this game to be even bigger than the first.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Really great game, hoping they do some radical changes to the art style though. Character designs were OK I guess, but I really loved the Vintage Suit look and really hope they take some inspiration from Into the Spider-Verse's visuals. Same for the story. It was serviceable and at times pretty great, they definitely nailed some of the characters and feel of things, but there's a lot of room for improvement. Especially on the larger story and integration with the open world. I don't think they really used NYC all that well or just the open world setup in general. Events were very static, as was much of the world. It was a solid foundation and nailed the most important parts but I'm expecting and hoping for some serious improvements and additions for the next game.

Oct 25, 2017
I know this isn't important but does "stealing hearts" mean something differing in Europe? Because it makes no sense in this headline. Insomniac made Spider-Man fall in love with them?

Oct 25, 2017
Love the game, such amazing attention to detail. If I could change one thing for the sequel, however, it would be a more accurate NYC. The game has a beautiful truncated, remixed version of the city, but aside from a few major landmarks it's pretty different from the real thing.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Love the game, such amazing attention to detail. If I could change one thing for the sequel, however, it would be a more accurate NYC. The game has a beautiful truncated, remixed version of the city, but aside from a few major landmarks it's pretty different from the real thing.

Also, you can't go to Queens. That's one of my biggest complaints. Spidey is FROM there and he can't even go visit home.

Jan 31, 2018
Haven't finished just yet (at like 96%) but I see a lot of room for improvement, especially with regards to story and direction. While they certainly seemed to get the characters down right it was just an utterly uncompelling and predictable storyline on the whole. And so many filler missions and ridiculous side quests. And yeah, in a lot of ways, it just felt like a reskinned Infamous title. Like they spent the vast majority of their resources on recreating New York while everything else was just squeezed in.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
A fantastic game, as someone that has played plenty of Spidey games I'd say it's easily the best, Web of Shadows is right below it but that's mostly due to all the other Marvel characters showing up.

I hope their next game adds more of NY and isn't met with silly controversies like Spider-cop and puddlegate. For an amazing game it just felt like people were just looking for reasons to hate it.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Just judging by currently released titles, Sucker Punch isn't on the same level as Insomniac. I'm grateful we didn't get Infamous but Spiderman.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Played and platinum'ed the base game when it first came out.

Bought the DLC in the last flash sale.

Eagerly awaiting replaying the game with DLC later this year.

*CANNOT WAIT* for Spider Man 2.

Oct 27, 2017
It was a fairly great game- you can tell it was an Arkham series level of passion project in terms of lore.

I hope for the sequel they give some epic God of War style boss fights or more fleshed out boss scenarios. Potential was there but no execution of it for a lot of the bigger set pieces.

They're clearly hitting it out of the park though, I can imagine this was a huge learning experience and Spidey 2 will be even better

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Give us Symbiote and Miles Morales gameplay as Spidey. Would be so freaking awesome.

Also those MJ play moments were dull. Not really interested on those and i hope they cut them off or improve it a lot or make them optional side quests.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Really? IMO it was one of the strong points of the game. Better than most MCU movie stories with some really good villains. Both Otto and Mr. Negative were great villains.

Yes they were good chracters on their own, but i felt like the overall story was just boring. There were no surprises along the way everything played out exactly as you would expect a story like this to play out. By no means was it the worst thing ever buy yeah it could not grab me at all.

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Being about six hours in in Spiderman and loving every minute so far means I won't wait when Spiderman 2 launches!

Should of got Spiderman 1 on day one.

Jun 4, 2019
Spider-Man was amazing. The nailed the swinging and the gameplay. They just need to reduce the side-quest/activities. They became repetitive after a while. I still did them all, however, because the game was so much fun to play...

Spider-Man 2 on PS5 in September/October 2021? 3 years after the first one seems doable since they can probably re-use a lot of stuff. Maybe first quarter of 2022 for 3.5 years.
Sooner. Much sooner.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most important element to get right was, of course, the swinging. Insomniac prototyped the mechanic early on - the project began life in late 2014, and entered "full production" in 2017 - but nailing the feel took years of revision.

3 years for Insomniac to figure out a gameplay mechanic. 20 seconds for armchair analysts to "figure out" why it was going to be terrible.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I was ultimately dissapointed in the overall story (including some really clunky and awkward developments imo), a few of the characters and also the structure of some gameplay sections and missions.

But fuck if it wasn't gorgeous and a blast to fight and swing around. They have an amazing foundation to have a sequel ready in a relatively short amount of time, and I'm here for it.

It also ends in a very interesting place to build upon plot-wise, so there's also that.

Deleted member 56580

Banned
May 8, 2019
Game wasn't very good. Combat was too simple in terms of actual challenge aswell as moves, the enemy lairs used at least 3 times with different factions also was pretty underwhelming and to top it off, the story was a lesser arkham asylum and well, the swinging sure wasn't reaching spider man 2 levels either

i dont get the consensus around this game. it had amazing production values but nothing memorable

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Insomniac Spider-Man did most things right but imo didn't excel in any particular area compared to past Spider-Man games. The stealth was better in Shattered Dimensions. The Combat in Web of Shadows. The swinging is still arguably better in Spider-Man 2/web of shadows. The overall charm, music, and style is better in Ultimate Spider-Man/PS1 Spider-Man. Spider-Man PS4 is a jack of all trades and master of none.

Where Spider-Man PS4 fell hard was that it didn't introduce any new ideas. It really is openworld game circa 2018 but with Spider-Man. Down to the guard towers. Arkham Inspired combat. "Xray vision". etc. And all the forced non-spider-man sections REALLY drag the experience down. Story is alright but nothing special. Nice graphics tho.

Insomniac made a good game but doesn't quite reach the heights of impeccable licensed videogame that we've seen before. Arkham did it. Cybertron did it. Stick of Truth did it.

Pretty much my take. It was a solid experience that delivered Spider-man to the masses in a relatively elegant and highly produced package, yet the past decade has shown some harsh rebuttals from critics and many consumers on AAA titles that distill an open-world experience into bloat-filled nonsense activities. Spider-man offered one of the most glaring examples of what typifies the complaint, and yet the criticisms are mostly silent.

The power of franchise and IP? Or maybe nobody really cares afterall are looking to glom some undeserved complaints on other similar releases?

I normally ignore the open-world complaints and have enjoyed many of the titles that often bare the brunt(Mad Max, AC, etc....) but Spider-man really tested my threshold with its lackluster activity list, un-creative collectible spots, "towers", and especially the endless thugs. It felt like a generation behind even recent open-world titles that get criticism. To me it was one of the worst examples in the modern era of how to manage an open-world experience.

But I did enjoy most everything beyond the freeform NYC stuff. I was just let down that so many gave that side a pass.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man gets a lot of things right with some missteps here and there, but with nothing but the potential to make their follow-up damn-near perfect.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
They nailed it. Hands down the best Spider-Man game ever created thus far. I can't wait to see what they pull off in the sequel on PS5.

Even after beating the game and getting the Platinum, I'd fire it up just to swing around the city. It's incredibly exhilarating and smooth, and it's fun to try and do "flawless" web-slinging runs that I make up for myself while swinging around. Stringing together swings and vaults and leaps, trying to make it look as cool and cinematic as possible. Good times. My only hope is that they continue to expand on the swinging in future games.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Marvel's Spider-Man is probably the finest licensed game adaptation of the past decade

Are they forgetting the Batman Arkham series? Hell, Spider-Man's gameplay is basically a (good) knock off of Batman, although I do think Batman's gameplay is overall better.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
There's all kinds of obvious places to expand on it.

That is, the missions in the city. The fighting was really good and might be harder to figure out how to improve that.