• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quick Resume?

• It’s the future of gaming

Votes: 388 23.3%
  • I like to have options

Votes: 594 35.7%
  • I usually stick with the game I’m playing to completion

Votes: 400 24.1%
  • I’ll never use it

Votes: 291 17.5%

• Total voters

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so confident to say I'll never use it, but I don't see it being a very significant feature for me. I typically play one game at a time, rather than swapping between multiple.

Do we know if these quick resume states persist through a total shut down of the console? If you need to use rest mode, then it's something I'll never take advantage of.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
The highest amount of games I've been playing at the same time is 2. And it's a rarity.

So no I'll never use it, but it's great that it's there for other people.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I would like to say I will use it, but given the track record of suspending my consoles that aren't a Switch, I don't think I will do this much. I just don't like having devices turned on. And as for switching games while playing? I don't know, I usually play a game and then turn it off.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so confident to say I'll never use it, but I don't see it being a very significant feature for me. I typically play one game at a time, rather than swapping between multiple.

Do we know if these quick resume states persist through a total shut down of the console? If you need to use rest mode, then it's something I'll never take advantage of.

It does.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
huge huge huge! mostly about being able to resume right from where i left off. having two kids, this makes it simpler

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
I thought the same when the feature was first announced earlier this year. Cool, but will I get much use out of it? But I've thought about it as I've played games these last few months and yes, I think I will make use of it a lot. Sometimes I just want to play a couple races in Forza, then do one run in something like UnderMine, then switch to something that was added to GP that week to try, then do a couple runs in THPS.

Yes, the SSD will make it faster to switch games even without quick resume, but not all games auto save exactly where you left off and games will still have a bunch of screens to wait through on startup and menus to navigate before you are back in the game.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
I think that's one of the coolest things for nextgen.
I always play just 1 big story game at time but man, for sports, more fun games it will be so good!!!
play 1 match of FIFA, than change to nba to play a little...
with this smaller more gameplay oriented games from gamepass, change in some games.
Will be a really fantastic feature if the change is fast enough.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to have, with the kids playing their kids games and me playing my mature games there are lots of annoying intros I won't have to see anymore. 👍

VamosTigres

Jun 11, 2020
wait, if I play a game on a disc it still saves where I was even if I remove the disc?
I'm assuming this is the case—physical games are treated almost the exact same as digital games, the main difference is that it needs to check the disk quick to verify you own it. To me it seems like it would be more work for MS to not include it for digital games, but I'm not 100% sure

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Really didn't ask for quick resume THAT much.

But it will come in handy when me and my buddies play CoD. I can get quicker in and out of my current SP game.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
No idea, I usually don't use rest mode. But I hate to wait for intros....

Oct 30, 2017
It's hard to say until I start using the feature.

But I don't tend to bounce around between a lot of single player games. Two at the most.
And with load times already to be very quick next gen, cold booting a game won't be much of a barrier anyway.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very cool feature but I'll never use it since I'm never going between games.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nice to have but I'm not going to be bouncing around 5-6 different games at once lol.

I play my games to completion before starting something else 99% of the time.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Quick resume is a wonderful feature. They do need to force 2K to not boot you out of your session when you put the game in stand by. Annoying as hell when a dev can just side step the whole reason quick resume exists.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to have it on the switch. Switching between smash, AC, and whatever meaty game I'm going through super quickly sounds great.

It's definitely a great feature. I wouldn't be sad if the PS5 didn't have it though. If games can boot up near instantly I don't mind, and I don't play multiple games at a time on my PS4 now. If I got a series x instead I could see myself never using it.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
I'm not really one to hop between games a lot in a session. I played ~10 hours of Hades straight on Saturday then stopped playing video games for the day. I think it'll be cool to have but not a game changer for me

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
My taste varies at the drop of a hat. I could be wildly in love with a character action game and suddenly crave a driving game. I might be 3 hours into a platformer and decide that I want to get a few headshots in on a FPS. Not to mention different moods and circumstances. There might be a podcast that I want to catch up on. In that instance anything with more than a minimal amount of story and dialogue is off the table. That's when I get into my racing/platformer/puzzle game bag. Or I may sit down and know that I'm only going to be playing for a little while so I'll throw on a fighting game and play a few rounds. Might start playing a deep single player game, have a few drinks &/or tokes and feel like playing a rhythm game instead.

That's not to say that I never sit down and play one game in a lengthy session. I get into that zone too. But it'll always be beneficial to me to be able to quickly get into another game because you never know. I've been impressed with what has been shown for the XSX and since I'm going PS5 I hope they have something just as good.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Now having a kid who's old enough to start playing games, switching quicky between games I play and games he plays is a godsend.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I'll use it all the time, because I play a mix of multiplayer and single player. Now I can happily jump into whatever game I'm playing at the time while I wait for friends to get online, or get a match in if I feel like it then flip straight back to something else.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If the system doesn't dump it when you shut down the console, it seems like a good feature even for playing a single game so you can skip all of the splashes and menus.

Yes! It's really something everyone is going to be able to take advantage of. The speed is going to feel pretty damn nice once you have it in your hand.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming this is the case—physical games are treated almost the exact same as digital games, the main difference is that it needs to check the disk quick to verify you own it. To me it seems like it would be more work for MS to not include it for digital games, but I'm not 100% sure

If it saves the the state of a disc based game than 100% I would use it all the time. I just assumed it was digital only.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's a cool option that I'm sure I'll take advantage of sometimes but prior to being accustomed to it, it doesn't feel like a must have. Seems like a convenience I might miss after getting used to it, though.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lol at the haters. I'm sure you also turn your nose up at having multiple programmable radio stations in your car.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's impressive tech for sure, but even as someone who juggles multiple games on the go, I'm not seeing the revolutionary benefits for me. Like let's say I play 2 games in one day. I'm not going to be multitasking these games, hopping back and forth every few minutes. Do people do this? The most I'd be doing is play one game in a big batch, switch over to the next one and play that for a big batch etc. Waiting an extra 5 minutes in between those sessions is not a concern, in fact it's probably a welcome break where I'm forced to take a piss and grab a snack.

This desire to be locked in, juggling 5 games at once without pause just seems kind of odd.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
It'll be really useful when you have a single player game you want to finish, but have an online multiplayer game you play with your friends often.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
Certainly not a system seller as I tend to play one large game at a time and even if I don't, loading a new game is not exactly a major problem - waiting a minute or two for my game to load is not the end of the world. However, it's a nice convenience that I'll enjoy having.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Quick resume is a wonderful feature. They do need to force 2K to not boot you out of your session when you put the game in stand by. Annoying as hell when a dev can just side step the whole reason quick resume exists.

Isn't that an online connectivity thing tho?
Saw a YouTube vid yesterday where the guy switched from Forza to CoD Warzone and he ended up on the "Signing in to Xbox Live" screen. I guess this feature is more suited for SP games.

The logical next step would be to keep games connected to the server in stand-by/quick resume mode....

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
With all the peeps saying how they have kids sharing the console with 'em, how exactlys this work with parental controls/account switching? And kids accidentally (or not?) booting into their parents game and messing it up?

Twelvy

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo
This feature is quite new so it's difficult to estimate how much it will change the way I play. This feature will also use some storage and with only 825 GB quickly filled up, I wonder what will happen when you run out of space.
I guess I can picture myself playing a single player game and when a friend comes at home, I can just pause it anywhere and switch to Street Fighter.
I will still mostly buy physical I think, so I will still need to swap a disc. I guess Quick Resume will be a pause on steroids for me.
But more options for everyone is a good thing

People in here aren't even using sleep/rest modes.
I mostly use them to download a game at night. I usually prefer turning my console off completely. Also entering sleep/rest mode sometimes disconnects you from PSN and in some games you still have to go to the main screen to log in again...

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll never use it. I'm weird like that.

My SO uses the PS4's suspend feature just fine with no problems, but I'm always afraid there's going to be a random issue and I'll lose my progress so I always quit the game entirely, I also don't play multiple games at once on consoles so it's not a big deal.

Plus, them being that much faster at loading next gen just makes it even easier.

it's my understanding that this isn't "suspending" but rather a save state like you see with emulators. It's not using RAM. But I'm not technically savvy AT ALL so I could completely off here lol.

masterceewhy

Aug 4, 2020
Being able to switch between 2 games is enough for me, idk why you would need to switch between 6 games at a time.

One game where I'm playing possibly online and one where I can play through a story is perfect.

Dec 14, 2017
Hi all, I've been enjoying all the Xbox Series X coverage lately. But Quick Resume has me wondering if I'm in the minority when it comes to sticking with recently played software to completion.

This is undoubtedly a neat next-gen feature but I'll never make any use of it, past the novelty factor of trying it out of course.

Do most of you switch through multiple games at once?
Not having QR is a barrier for me for trying something else. With QR in place, I'd probably be less reluctant to switch games mid-play.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm legit surprised you're interested in this feature enough to make a thread tbh.

I'll just put it this way, you guys who stick to one game and have an Xbox only used by a single person are quite lucky; I already know exactly which games are going to be in my households Quick Resume list, I'm not sure I quite a needed a hyperbolic poll answer to say this but I think it'll get a lot of use from me and other people that have families that game.

konoka

Dec 20, 2017
Given some factors, setting one title as "primary" and enabling the game to use the feature is best for me.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I switch thru multiple games, and between that and my kids, sometimes playing on my profile.....my backlog is a mess.

This, once again, was my most requested next gen feature in the next gen speculation threads.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I don't think I will use more than 2 games at the time but I do see myself swaping between two games, leaving the session and later going back to any of those at the moment I left.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
It's impossible to never use it unless you fully quit the game every time you play, people will benefit from it without even realizing because even if they only ever play 1 game at a time the cache holds at least 4 games as far as we know so they'll just always have another game loaded whether they are purposely switching or not.

I would also imagine it works with multiple streaming apps alongside games too so if that's something you do then there's that.

It's one of those things we'll all wonder how we lived without looking back in 5 years, one of those things you never knew you needed until it's gone even if you thought it didn't affect you.

Last edited: