• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Hey everyone!
So, here is the deal: I've been doing a lot of research on TVs lately since my wife and I just moved into to our new home and I feel like the TV is too small now. I want to go all big getting 75" or 85" and I've been down the short distance projector at first but discarded this idea for several reasons. An 8K TV is now option as 4K has been around some time now and there arent just enough sources to get real 4K.
So, now I am back with TVs and I came down to three TVs (I know it is a real first world problem..)
  1. LG OLED77CX9LA​
  2. Sony A9G (AG9) Master Series 77"​
  3. Samsung Q95T 75"/85"​
While I am super pleased with all of them but every single TV is lacking something. You can have Dolby Vision but no HDMI 2.1 or you can have HDMI 2.1 but no Dolby Vision. What I find irritating is that both XBox One Series X and PS5 are likely to have HDMI 2.1 (it is not confirmed yet) but do they even have the power to support this? Especially on Sony's side since the Sony A9G is missing HDMI 2.1. And there is HDR10+ on Samsung TVs but they are lacking Dolby Vision for some reason (the license isnt that expensvie according to me research..). I am super confused and I think it is weird that they all have these different standards. So I have been wondering: How important are HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision for next gen CONSOLE gaming ?lets exclude the pc here) ?

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The CX has both Dolby Vision and 2.1, so if that's all you're after go the CX.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should be fine for both with a CX. I doubt Dolby Vision will be widely used for games as devs would want to target as many TVs as possible by using HDR10.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
HDMI 2.1 will just be instrumental for all advancements going forward due to the bandwidth it opens up. It will allow higher resolutions and refresh rates in tandem, whereas the current HDMI 2.0 standard does have a hard bandwidth cap that has kind of reached its limit in the current 4K era, especially with refresh rates pushing past 60Hz.

As far as HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision goes, time will tell... Not enough known about the new consoles or how developers intend to try and utilize HDR technologies going forward, and the standards are still actively competing across all media, but I think one day it will have to reach a point where one of them is declared the industry standard, and they all have different advantages to consider and play out among creators consumers first. I would not worry too much about what's supported on the TV you're buying right now, because I really don't think video games has the answer.

Steo

Sep 28, 2018
Dublin, Ireland.
Been doing a lot of research myself. I don't know if I want to go down the road of an LG OLED if I feel like I'm always going to have the thought of burn in in the back of my mind.

The offerings of the competitors don't draw me in enough to make me want to fork out the sort of cash it would cost the get one of their high end TVs.

I'm wondering if I'm better off waiting till next year to see what the TV companies do. Surely the 2021 range of TV's will have much more choice when it comes HDMI 2.1 TV's with more gaming features supported across more models.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think devs will be sticking with HDR as standard (going down the HGIG route for a simplified way) rather than paying fees for Dolby vision

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
What benefits does dolby vision even add for games over regular hdr10?
Per-scene dynamic tonemaping and support for 4000 nits.

HDR10 sets one global tonemaping for each video file/game, and the display output is limited to 1000 nits.

IMO, HDR10 tonemapping can be very similar to DV on more expensive and capable TVs.