• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Message boards and/or social media have...

• been a net negative on my life

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • been a net positive on my life

Votes: 35 67.3%

• Total voters

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Full stop, I feel that Facebook, Twitter, and message boards have regressed my ability to form complex thoughts and arguments, shrunk my vocabulary, and dulled my brain and creativity. I feel dumber because of these platforms despite feeling like I have a greater range of awareness of what people are talking about in the world.

Most exchanges in these spaces are about the entertaining quip, the punch line, the typical talking point, the same old supporting details, and the same limited bag of vocabulary. The medium is the message in these spaces, as people are very rarely interested in coming to a greater understanding of something, but are more interested in getting in the last zinger and shooting for the most likes and people nodding their heads along with them. It restricts honesty and creativity, as we are consistently curating our thoughts and opinions to be something we think people will like instead of being something authentic that we actually resonate with.

While this doesn't apply to every discussion and every poster, I find it to be in the vast majority of discussions, arguments, posts, etc. on social media platforms.

Do you agree or disagree with this? How have these platforms affected your brain and how you communicate?

At this point, I'm thinking of going full-on long article reading and stepping away from the social media and message board space even more.

I'm not even happy with the quality of this post, but there we are.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll fully admit that there are some words I cannot spell correctly as a result of social media (because I never took grammar seriously when posting on Twitter).

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I think my critical voice has become more clear, and specific. I'm not content to just say "Yeah this sucks" or "yeah this is good" and leaving it at that. I'm more invested in trying to articulate why I think something works or why it doesn't.

Like I can enjoy dropping a snide shitpost like anyone, but I have learned to be better about expressing myself. And honestly, some moderation etc. has forced me to reflect on shit that I thought was okay and I've come out a better person for it.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Social media is a cancer, message boards are great if the community and mods allow it to be, like this one (with some exceptions)

For me personally, it's been a roller coaster. When I was a teenager in the early 2000's, I would post on IGN Message boards but I Capitalized Every Word For Some Reason. It was super weird but at the same time the debates I would get into would help prepare me for more adult discussion as I got older.

Once I went to College I stopped using message boards for the most part but got back into GAF once I finished and was back to a less exciting life. Now I'm on Resetera and it's my main source of social interaction beyond a few friends and family.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Net positive, don't get into an Email argument with me at work when There's a CC'd audience that the other guy has put on the email.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They've been a net positive on my life. Message boards more so than social media. I've gone from being a shy, reserved bookworm to being a social butterfly.

A large factor is that I'm a good typist, and text takes away some of the boundaries that talking in person has. So I got to practice skills I wouldn't have gotten a chance to just talking to people offline.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I communicate with far away friends and family, have found art and artists I never would have, become more fit and healthy and gained new hobbies and interests all due to social media. Are there negatives? Yes. Do they outweigh the positives? Fuck no, if they do you need to unfollow some folks.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm communicating with strangers, that's a positive.
If I weren't here I'd be working in silence, then going home and talking to my 1 friend and my cat.

Turns out there are other people out there that also like Dragon's Dogma. Social media has reached its goal. I'm content.

I'm super introverted, it's a positive

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using message boards since I was at least 9~10 in 2001/2 so I wouldn't be able to say if or how its affected me as I've been using them essentially my entire life.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely a net positive on my life. It's enabled me to open my mind. I've learned more about people and all of our differences that make us special. I used to be a huge bigot towards gays but thankfully I had a message board that let me interact with gay people and get to understand that my views were terrible.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I became fluent in English thanks in large part to message boards, so I had the opposite experience, OP.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
Net positive for me..

On the message board side of things i've been lucky to find some good ones the past 20 years or so! I think its been good overall to see opinions other than my own or my circle of friends etc. And on a message board you have time to reflect on it a bit more before replying.

Social media wise, they are what you make it for me, and they allow me to keep in contact with family while travelling/living overseas.

Plum

May 31, 2018
After years of posting on Gaf and now Era I'm afraid that my ability to speak in a non-passive aggressive manner has almost entirely been lost. I also can't refer to other people directly, I must always refer to them as "people" or "this thread."

Just the other day someone said that they didn't really like the new Avengers trailer and before I knew it I had said "Damn, people in this thread are real salty over this new Avengers trailer. It's almost as if it's not for them." The guy looked at me as if I were mad.

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
It's a net positive overall since I've met lifelong friends on message boards, made me more knowledgeable (but world weary), but lately it's been kind of a drag with cyberbalkinzation being an issue with a lot of niche specific forums. I used to moderate forums years back and it is a thankless job.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't say that things look bad anymore. Now I say things are a bad look. That's definitely due to social media.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
My grammar and spelling is worse. That's about it, but to be honest it's not like work emails wouldn't do the same.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's really changed much.

Then again I'm in my late 20s and have been using the internet (heavily) since middle school. So there's no real before/after moment.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Without the internet, I'd be a total recluse. Beyond that, it's helped me keep my writing skills sharp and not go to waste. I'd argue it's improved my reading comprehension and critical thinking skills.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been using message boards / forums since like 2008, so they have definitely had an effect on my behavior and thought patterns. I actually tend to write rather long responses when communicating with other people. Like i'll write paragraphs when texting a friend, even if they're giving me unstructured simple sentence replies ... using forums for so long has programmed my brain to really enjoy writing, and i think that is a positive thing.

My typing speed is pretty fast from this. In middle school i had probably below average typing skills, but when i started using message boards i learned how to type very fast. Reading as well. I read A TON of information everyday since i browse forums/message boards for at least 2-3 hours... I have changed my naive viewpoints, became more mature, and have become a much more critical thinker from being on the argumentative side of forums.

There are negatives, like being exposed to toxic ideas, but that ultimately depends on the thread and community i'm looking at. This negativity is more in-line with actual social media like Twitter, which has far less intellectual and noteworthy discussion. I think forums, like era, are a great way to express myself and get my ideas heard. I don't have that many IRL friends, so it's nice to have some communication and connect with other like-minded people.

Last edited:

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
I'll fully admit that there are some words I cannot spell correctly as a result of social media (because I never took grammar seriously when posting on Twitter).

Interesting. I'm the complete opposite due to things like autocorrect and dictionaries in wysiwyg editors that I've learned how to spell slightly better just from seeing the same spelling errors and correcting them over time.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
No. Not really.

While I've learned a few things from message boards & social media during my e-career, I'm an 80s kids who had a childhood without the internet being huge, and I became an adult without social media being so influential. I learned to communicate and interact with people well before the internet became do ingrained in our daily lives.

Era (and GAF before it) is purely entertainment for me. Social media is exactly what I make of it....to connect with family/friends, news aggregator and entertainment.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I can spot bullshit a lot faster, this has proven useful in all areas of my life

Aiustis

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cybertronic Purgatory
I consider forums a little different from social media
Message boards have allowed me a space to discuss common interest
I avoid social media because it just makes me hate my friends

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Most exchanges in these spaces are about the entertaining quip, the punch line, the typical talking point, the same old supporting details, and the same limited bag of vocabulary. The medium is the message in these spaces, as people are very rarely interested in coming to a greater understanding of something, but are more interested in getting in the last zinger and shooting for the most likes and people nodding their heads along with them. It restricts honesty and creativity, as we are consistently curating our thoughts and opinions to be something we think people will like instead of being something authentic that we actually resonate with.

Rivenblade I think the key to assuaging this is finding the right community and that such is a perfectly rational desire. *nod* In boards like Era/GAF, fiery social media spaces or the throes of the newest hot topic, the mainstream conversation is always its own subculture and can be very widespread with partakers numbering in the thousands and with little time for perceived ambiguity, moreso when it is a very public, high-profile platform that necessitates extra responsibilities at the expense of the ingenue. The result may by design require people to conform to categories they don't feel they readily have the means of expressing properly in discourse or falling under, that they struggle to satisfy in an immediate manner, or at least not with the understanding and necessary patience of their peers. As you may observe it becomes easier to just ride the rapids even if you don't prefer the current, flowers in advance for the analogous banana peel (there we go again). In essence, while there are net positives in having it the Conversation is not absolute; diving into the thicket works differently than it would for someone who prefers to stride.

In other words, we all simply want to be honest with ourselves, to be engaging and engaged with, and to be given room to breathe and to think productively, and be critical when merited and tickled come pleasantries, and to do so without the feeling of being forced or pressured to; it is the root of a healthy and natural way to grow in commune with others, others that can level with us. The thing is, If the current space isn't cultivating that kind of environment for you and is being hinged to that expectation it will be counterproductive in at least one manifestation of expression. Sometimes it's no one's fault; it's just a matter of compatibility. If you want to be in congruence with your setting and its players, don't resign to a single channel! ^^' Some people take college, others start a garage, and what have you.

In a case like Era I always like to recommend joining certain sub-communities for those who are looking for a more self-referential or specific atmosphere; there are numerous in the Hangouts section and beyond, as well as those that may have yet to be forged, wink-nudge. However, if that doesn't suffice, then there is no foul in looking elsewhere or, as you propose, temporally stepping back, taking a sabbatical from the occasionally overtly familiar buzz in'ere and there. And it's always great to find a place where you can say what you want to say and spill out your heart for a minute. Set up shop in an outside town and save Era for the loading times. A place where you can breathe. There is no rush, at least, I hope not. Certain people adjust in different ways and work on different levels of pace; where the individual cannot change the masses, they can trade them a less costly cloth.

And yes, more often than not, that will be the case; one person cannot change the masses, even if they perceive the masses to be wrong or unwieldy, because one person is not enough. If someone feels like they are fighting against the world alone, then it is likely never worth it. Synchronicity, strength, results, and importantly, a safespace to self-reflect -- these things are, in the end, best found in numbers. Just make sure they're clean!

Last edited:

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I joined a gaming forum when I was quite young and learned to mod that way.

My interactions with collaborators and 'clients' on that forum directly led to my career as an illustrator.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
I've used message boards since I was 6 in 94. Definitely been a net positive in my life. Social media has been positive in that it's where I've made a lot of connections with people and it has helped me financially.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
Social media generally bores the arse off me. I don't peruse Instagram but I do use it purely as a visual personal diary for documenting where I've been and what I did on certain dates.

I find Forums useful however as they contain a wealth of knowledge about a hobby/interest that is specific to the individual.

I still need to Google what a 'message board' is, along with this Discord thing. :/

OP
OP
Rivenblade

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Rivenblade I think the key to assuaging this is finding the right community and that such is a perfectly rational desire. *nod* In boards like Era/GAF, fiery social media spaces or the throes of the newest hot topic, the mainstream conversation is always its own subculture and can be very widespread with partakers numbering in the thousands and with little time for perceived ambiguity, moreso when it is a very public, high-profile platform that necessitates extra responsibilities at the expense of the ingenue. The result may by design require people to conform to categories they don't feel they readily have the means of expressing properly in discourse or falling under, that they struggle to satisfy in an immediate manner, or at least not with the understanding and necessary patience of their peers. As you may observe it becomes easier to just ride the rapids even if you don't prefer the current, flowers in advance for the analogous banana peel (there we go again). In essence, while there are net positives in having it the Conversation is not absolute; diving into the thicket works differently than it would for someone who prefers to stride.

In other words, we all simply want to be honest with ourselves, to be engaging and engaged with, and to be given room to breathe and to think productively, and be critical when merited and tickled come pleasantries, and to do so without the feeling of being forced or pressured to; it is the root of a healthy and natural way to grow in commune with others, others that can level with us. The thing is, If the current space isn't cultivating that kind of environment for you and is being hinged to that expectation it will be counterproductive in at least one manifestation of expression. Sometimes it's no one's fault; it's just a matter of compatibility. If you want to be in congruence with your setting and its players, don't resign to a single channel! ^^' Some people take college, others start a garage, and what have you.

In a case like Era I always like to recommend joining certain sub-communities for those who are looking for a more self-referential or specific atmosphere; there are numerous in the Hangouts section and beyond, as well as those that may have yet to be forged, wink-nudge. However, if that doesn't suffice, then there is no foul in looking elsewhere or, as you propose, temporally stepping back, taking a sabbatical from the occasionally overtly familiar buzz in'ere and there. And it's always great to find a place where you can say what you want to say and spill out your heart for a minute. Set up shop in an outside town and save Era for the loading times. A place where you can breathe. There is no rush, at least, I hope not. Certain people adjust in different ways and work on different levels of pace; where the individual cannot change the masses, they can trade them a less costly cloth.

And yes, more often than not, that will be the case; one person cannot change the masses, even if they perceive the masses to be wrong or unwieldy, because one person is not enough. If someone feels like they are fighting against the world alone, then it is likely never worth it. Synchronicity, strength, results, and importantly, a safespace to self-reflect -- these things are, in the end, best found in numbers. Just make sure they're clean!

I was in the midst of a treatise when a colleague came into the room and took my attention away from the screen. When I went back to it, the response I had been formulating had simply vanished. I guess Era timed it out or something. Instead of giving a quick synopsis of what I was trying to write, I'll try to recreate it.

I agree with much of what you said, if not all of it. The truth is, I've been going through a negative dip in my emotions this week as a result of personal circumstances. This situation has rattled my brain and spirit a bit and pulled me away from my own true north. Whenever this happens - as it does to all of us from time to time - I have a tendency to soak in cynicism and wallow in self-doubt when it comes to my own beliefs and my ability to express myself or to do much of anything at all, really. Essentially, this state is unbecoming of who I really am or aim to be.

Another effect of this state is a feeling of surrender and helplessness against the tide of trash that rolls over much of the internet. When you have albatross platforms with masses of people, some of whom only exist to poke, prod, and force an angry reaction from others rolling around in the same garbage heap (see: 2018 word of the year, "gaslighting"), it's that much easier to become discouraged when your own guard is down and when your mental tools simply aren't as sharp as you would like them to be. (i.e. "I know this person is wrong, but...I can't clearly articulate why...sigh...better not to say anything because whatever I put out there will just expose me for the lazy and unskilled thinker I am, as those words wouldn't accurately represent my feelings or even my own deeper knowledge of this topic...because I can't even access that knowledge right now my brain is so dull")

The remedy for these periods of general malaise is to reacquaint myself with the things that return me to myself and which remind me that I can be strong, and that I am in fact sane and maybe even smart. For me, this is exercise and these are usually texts like Meditations by Marcus Aurelius or the beautiful human positivity of a site like brainpickings.org, among others. I know I need to go back to them to point me in the right direction again, as well as to talk to people who are close to me, and/or to do something as simple as hug my kids to recharge my emotional batteries.

I believe we are here for other people, and I know it's a matter of finding those people who resonate with my own values and who challenge me in a space where I feel safe, secure, and able to grow in confidence. I want to feel that the things I'm contributing are valuable to others and that they will actually be taken seriously, and that they are worth taking seriously. (this is where the self-confidence comes in, and feeling like the knowledge I have is actually valuable and has been rigorously tested, as I wouldn't want to share something haphazardly due to quick and lazy thinking that has simply been absorbed from the internet hivemind as I just ride the waves, as it were)

There are online spaces where I feel at home. There are a couple of communities on this very forum where I feel welcome and like I can talk about topics that are of interest to me while getting and providing feedback to others in that same community. I haven't been a part of it for a while though, because I haven't had anything to contribute and I've been bogged down in my personal life. I know I am always welcome and that it's also up to me to foster those connections and not to take them for granted.

A little more stream of consciousness here, but I also occasionally see what's going on in comments sections of sites like Foxnews (give me a chance...) to see if I can understand where people I don't agree with are coming from. I think I'm going to stop doing that altogether, as it's an awful website with shoddy reporting and a propagandist approach to reality. It makes me feel dumb just reading it, just as seeing some family members and friends post ignorant racist and/or sexist and/or short-sighted memes on social media does. I feel like the spaces I dip my toes into are contributing to the blunting of my brain, and in this regard, it's my own fault for continuing to visit those spaces for the wrong reasons. I know it's possible to have a healthy relationship to those spaces, though, as I can steel myself and my mind against the worst tendencies of those spaces while focusing on the good they bring. (i.e. seeing family pictures or reading about nerdy topics that interest me, and being aware of politics, but only insofar as I don't add to the toxicity of those discussions)

I sat down and read a book for thirty minutes before bed last night. It felt great. It was a fairly academic text on Greek myth, and I enjoyed the experience immensely. It felt like I was getting the brain food I need to receive on a regular basis in order to keep myself moving at the rhythm that best suits me. I downloaded a dictionary app on my phone this morning that allows me to store favourite words for my own reference and to satisfy my desire to sharpen my vocabulary and to become a better-spoken person than I've been in years. I listened to a well-researched Canadian news podcast on the way into work today. That also felt good and made me feel more in touch with what was going on in the world without the excess of hot takes in a comments section that has no accountability or moderation.

Then I got into work and read your response to this thread.

I loved what you wrote. I really did. And I appreciate you taking the time to put it together as you did - even if I did not grasp a couple of your metaphors - and for reasoning it out as you did. These are the types of discussions I want to engage in online, and I know the spaces for them exist if only I get out of my head and reach out instead of confining myself in a cynical self-hating narrative that is partly a result of my own actions, partly a result of jumping into the wrong online lakes, and partly a result of my own defenses being brought down by external factors.

Thank you again.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Positive

I am more of a observer than someone who engages in discussions

If anything social media has provided me as a outlet of information