• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed that despite working fulltime from home and seemingly having less reason to spend money, my spending in June actually went up. Probably because I've been maybe subconsciously using buying stuff online and ordering takeout as a replacement for the normal activities I would enjoy pre-covid.

Shout out to all the furloughed mother fuckers who don't have the luxury of buying a cool new kitchen knife to make themselves feel something.

Frester

Oct 25, 2017
Lower than normal, but most of my frivolous spending is on eating out. I've been taking advantage of retail sales to get some clothes and shoes but overall I'm spending a lot less.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Preparing lunch everyday and not pottering around clothes shops has certainly reduced my spending.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
I recently started a well-paying job, so I've been much less stingy than usual. Also, I moved to a new apartment, so I'm buying new furniture, covering moving fees and all that jazz

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Lower than usual. Biggest expense was likely a portable AC unit, since I'm WFH all summer so I was afraid I'd be sweating at the laptop. It's proved useless for now since it hasn't gotten hot here yet.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was saving so much the first couple months I think I got cocky. spent a ton last month - bought a stupidly expensive dyson fan and spent a lot on games. goign to try and be more frugal again because I'm not spending on car parking, train tickets or lunch while at work.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
My spending is WAY down. I've basically not gone into a Starbucks once this year, and that was always my guilty pleasure - iced Americanos. Aside from that, not going out with coworkers for overpriced lunch, not going out to bars spending 5x markup on drinks, and cooking at home more often has made it so my spending has been heavily reduced. I'm also barely driving, so I almost never need gas. I'm just shaving my head instead of going to the barber, so that's $30 or so saved every three weeks. There are a ton of little things here and there that really add up quickly.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Less, perhaps more on food than usual sometimes, haven't bought anything except shoes which I needed. Other than a few beers, spent practically nothing on alcohol.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My financial decisions have been poor the last month. New TV, surround sound speakers, tv stand...

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
My necessary spending (rent, power, water, Internet, cellphone service, groceries, insurance, etc.) is about the same, but my discretionary spending (i.e., money that I don't really *need* to be spending) is way down.

Was averaging $899.85/month pre-pandemic, averaging $351.87/month post-pandemic. A 61% decrease!

l7BREQc.png

Last edited:

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Lowest spending of my adult life. My household has been quarantined on furlough and unemployment. All we order are essentials, grocery delivery through Prime Now, the main streaming services, and the occasional major release video game to play through between ESO sessions.

We used to eat out 4-5 nights a week, and we haven't eaten out once in months. It's crazy how much eating in can save, and we don't even crave restaurant fare anymore for the most part.

Last edited:

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
I just bought a ryzen 9 because it was $80 off, and I have NOT played on PC in like 20 years. Have never even built one. That's how my spending is going unfortunately.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I'm spending less (gas, not going out, etc) but not able to save as the company wide 20% pay cut is still in effect. Hoping they restore our salary within the next few months and we still work at home until next year so I can start saving more again.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Started off really well, then spent absolute fortune on garden furniture and outside toys for the kids.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Next month I get paid for 5 weeks instead of 4 (I'm freelance so payroll is a bit different), will be spending fuck all *and* I get birthday money from my family. All going towards my mortgage next year, good shit.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Besides just utilities and monthly bills I haven't been spending much money at all.

Bought tlou2 and animal crossing.
Some smaller things for fixing my house.
Bought a mini genesis for $40 today from Amazon.

That's really it for fun money spending since the middle of March.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
-Eating out and ordering take out has dropped quite a bit
-Had to buy some appliances (Dyson vacuum, AC,...) so spending went up there
-Spending quite a but on learning purposes this, which is hopefully just an extraordinary expense
-No big vacation this year so a lot of savings in that regard

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
check here:
www.resetera.com

What bullshit are you thinking about buying?

What are you thinking about buying that you probably don't need. I've been a bon appetit and cooking show binge so most of these have a theme. Stovetop kettle: I don't think this is too bullshit. Make it easier to make tea or instant oatmeal while I work from home. But also I'm a coffee person...

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spending way down...less trips to hardware store. We used to eat out once or twice a week and maybe a few bar tabs. All of that is gone. I'm just putting it all into savings because I feel things are going to go to shit real soon.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I've been building an epic backyard for my kid as we can't go anywhere. Inflatable water slide/bounce house, large outdoor play set, sandbox, etc. Have probably spent $5000 or so on that.

Having a new balcony, hot tub, and brewing room/mini pub built as well. That is adding another $20,000 or so.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Like next to nothing. We don't go restaurants any more, we cook a lot, I bike for exercise.

At the start of the quarantine, I basically said to myself that I'll wade through my backlot off games before I dive into Last of Us 2, so that's my next "big" purchase.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Less than normal, since I'm not spending as much (or anything) at restaurants/bars, or splurges on events/tickets/etc that I would have otherwise wasted money on. I also canceled my plans for my summer vacation and spent some of the money building a PC instead, which is my only big purchase this year

Otherwise my only big purchase plans this year is a LG CX for when the new consoles come out, but I'll save more than planned overall as a result of going out less.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been good until July.

Need to buy a refridgerator
Bought the Arcade 1up TMNT
Bought Ring Fit Adventure.

Almost $2500 this month. And it's only the 3rd. 😢

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Bad really, picked up an LG C9 because I'm at home more on the weekends now and that started it all. Probably spent about about $300/400 on 4K Blu-rays and picked up a sound bar the other day. Would have probably put it towards a vacation so it's a wash but wasn't planning to upgrade at the start of the pandemic.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spent over 500 dollars on a Oculus with quite a few games. So this past week has been expensive.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
- Massive decrease in gas and clothing spending;
- Massive increase in workstation upgrades, electricity and water

Working from home fulltime since March I'm not looking forward to the yearly electricity bill.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I need to start cooking at home more. A batch of vegan spaghetti lasts me 3-4 days and cost me $8. Going out to eat costs me $15-20 and lasts me one meal.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Since I have a ton more time now, I've been researching hobbies and it's made me buy several filming gear which costs quite a lot so, uh, pretty bad spending atm lol