• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pick the choice which best reflects your current social life

• I have been quarantining and do not see anyone outside of my house

Votes: 116 29.5%
  • I quarantine, but see coworkers at work

Votes: 41 10.4%
  • I occasionally see friends (less than once a week)

Votes: 107 27.2%
  • I occasionally see family (less than once a week)

Votes: 51 13.0%
  • I see friends often (at least once a week)

Votes: 34 8.7%
  • I see family often (at least once a week)

Votes: 27 6.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 4.3%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Not bad. I'm pretty antisocial though.

There was a 5-6 week period when lockdowns first started where I was finding organised Zoom calls and quiz nights quite oppressive and suffocating, so I'm glad that aspect of it has calmed down.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Are people living in cities still inside all day? Things have pretty much gone back to normal for me. Except I wear a mask all the time now. I get weird looks from the rednecks but I ignore them.

Oct 29, 2017
My job is essential. So I've been busy working the entire time. Due to having to work, I've tried to stay away from high risk friends and family. I try to do things for them like send presents.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
The most significant face-to-face interaction I've had since early March was when the barista at the Starbucks drive-thru chatted with me about comics for a couple minutes.

I've always been comfortable with being alone, so it's not as miserable as it could be. However, the main person I interacted with in The Before Times was my significant other whom I haven't seen since early March, so that's difficult.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
This pandemic has taught me that my normal lifestyle is thought of as quarantine by most others. Almost all of my friends I know through Discord, so nothing has changed whatsoever.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen any family member since late February (except for the ones living with me), same for friends.

I have WFH since before covid so that hasn't changed.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I try to quarantine as much as possible due to being an essential worker at high risk of infection (grocery worker). No social life at all. Although I see my coworkers 5 days a week which absolutely helps. It also helps that I like the people at my job.

Once in a while I'll make an appearance at an outdoor family thing. I also sit outside with my dad for chats sometimes. That's about it.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see my parents daily (help with child care) but that's it. Haven't seen a coworker since March 13. Haven't seen a personal friend since around the same time period.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Took a pretty decent hit. Me and my tennis buddies frequently went out (bars, movies, restaurants, etc.). Now, we only occasionally play tennis. And I didn't start back until about after a month when they did.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Same as before.

Nonexistent.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
I was getting better at building a proper social life before the pandemic hit, now it's mostly dead again aside from 1 friend I meet every few weeks and my brother and parents. I see my coworkers three times per week, 5 times if you count Skype calls, but I really don't consider that part of my social life, it's just work.
The fact that I don't really miss any of the social interactions I previously had made me realize just how comfortable I am with being alone.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
It's been really bad. My family is out of state, I'm not seeing any friends or coworkers, just my roommates....

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
amazing before. Was going out clubbing and pub multiple times a week with some bottomless brunches and cinema etc

Now its kind of in the toilet. UK so mostly everything is down

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Been seeing friends and family on a limited basis mostly outside, still working at an office that is thankfully taking Covid very seriously

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I've seen one friend of mine since mid-January. That was this past Saturday. (We went hiking.)

So answer is, nonexistent.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
mostly its just me, my wife, and our 1 yr old.
grandparents come over (my dad has done some projects on our house, MIL watches baby if my wife goes out and I am working etc...)
had a couple friends over early in quarantine for very distanced happy hours
close family (my sisters and their kids) get together for bdays and such every few weeks.

I play softball with by BIL, and have golfed a handful of times with buddies or family, thats my social life. and Im fine with that lol.

Jul 26, 2018
I only hanged out with my friends twice since March. Yet we play games with eachother online almost daily and chat through Discord haha.

Even before the pandemic, I rarely go out.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Besides talking to the neighbors when I take the dog or garbage out, or get the mail, no social interactions outside my household since March 9th.

edit, I mean in personal social interactions, I talk to coworkers on the phone throughout the day, but it's usually only work related.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I had no social life before quarantine apart from about one or two DnD sessions each month (and not counting my wife and kids). Now my group plays Pathfinder 2e online an average of three days a week, and nobody has to drive around, so that's awesome.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Have lost quite a bit of contact with my capoeira gym mates, in part because the Zoom classes take place during my work schedule, so I'm constantly sad. Otherwise, I've actually been reaching out more to old work colleagues in general, both in person and through text. My friend circle is still close too, if not actually grown through Discord. Ups and downs.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I currently live with my dad, so I see family every day. Other than not having a job, and thus no income, staying at home all day everyday is awesome.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Strict isolation. I wouldnt meet up with friends or family even with mask on. I live in a condo and I go out to supermarkets so there is still a chance of catching Covid. I dont plan to see my family until end of next year.

Shadowninja100

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Bad. I live with my grandparents so hanging out with friends is out of the question especially since I live in a hot spot. I pretty much haven't left my house since March for anything other than a grocery store run.

Just when I thought I was starting to get my social life together quarantine hits...

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Thanks to Animal Crossing, I've actually spent more time with friends socially this year than any year for like a decade (at least in terms of days I've been social). Outside of Animal Crossing I saw friends twice before COVID hit.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Completely WFH.

My friends still try to do real life hangouts once a month or so. We have a lot of ZOOM meetings.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll do social distant hangouts, masked, with folks in their back yards, but generally, it's just the boyfriend and my roommate. I'm mostly okay with this, but have worries about my roommate dating during this time. It's not that I don't think he should, it's just that I don't think he'll be great about letting us know before the mask comes off when he meets someone new.

only people i see are my gf and her parents

i'm planning to propose tomorrow so i guess they could be family soon :)

Best of luck!

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
We have actually probably been more social than before, just over Zoom calls rather than seeing people in person. Pretty much all of my best friends live elsewhere so I'm a normal year I might see them once or twice but we have been organizing biweekly calls (whoever makes it makes it) and we're all talking a lot more than normal.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Other than not really seeing people in person, it isn't so different. I still play D&D with friends, but over Hangouts.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Nonexistent, unlike before. I don't see anyone. I've only gone into a store 2 times since March. I'm work from home, now permanently, so no longer see co-workers. Just me and my wife. We had my parents over once about a month ago because they're some of the only people I know who I feel are taking this seriously enough. Even then though, my dad currently has COVID (he's at the end of week two and well into getting better, said he feels about 95% today so it seems he's going to be okay), if we'd timed it wrong even that could have gotten us sick. I haven't seen anyone else even once. Friends have wanted to, but I'm not taking the chance, both my wife and I are high risk. Beyond that, I've had a series of doctors appointments, because I was very sick back in March/April and then because I'm dealing with significant sleep issues, so I've had probably 5 doctors appointments. We had a plumber out once a few months ago too because our sink broke, but we stayed well away from him other than letting him in. But 5 doctors appointments, 2 store trips, a plumber, and one visit with my parents is the extent of me and my wife's human contact for 6 months now. Really sucks, I miss people, but I don't plan to get this thing.

Sep 14, 2019
I live with my immediate family.

Aside from my doctor visits, I don't go out.

Social life is already pretty non-existent anyway. Aside from coworker discussions and some Discord chats, that's pretty much it.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Mentally, this has been the toughest thing I've ever gone through. I moved to a new city in a new country shortly before Covid hit. My wife had already been here for over a year, and has some friends through her work. I, on the other hand, initially decided that I wouldn't make strides to create a social circle, and just lay low until we moved. The idea was that I'd be traveling a lot for work, and I have plenty of friends in the city I go to for work-related stuff (it's also the city I moved away from).

Fast forward to now, and I really regret not putting down some sort of roots here. I have no social life. Zero. As an extrovert, and someone who loves to go out for a few drinks, and shoot the shit, I've felt what isolation does to you mentally and physically. I get headaches, have anxiety, and am easily stressed. It's awful.

The silver-lining is that I'll be heading to a city I used to live in in November (massive second-wave not-permitting), and I'll finally be able to see friends, and just hang out. It's been over a year since I've done that.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Poll options are tough would vote multiple times if I could.

We see a small group of friends a once a week or once every two weeks and usually chill outside. I've been going fishing with two of my friends in that group pretty regularly since June or so usually in our kayaks out on a lake or pond.

I usually bring my daughter over to see my parents once a week or so, we usually hang outside.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
My buddies and I started hitting some of the outdoor breweries when places in central Virginia opened back up (and northern Virginia was still closed). Like breweries that are on farms and shit. Now we usually meet at least once a week locally and try to get a rooftop or outside spot although with weather changing it'll have to be inside. Every place here is still distancing and no bar service and stuff so we're not too concerned.

So had a strong quarantine for like 4.5 months and then started going out a bit.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Outside of an outdoor get together like a bonfire or drive-in night I don't see anyone except my family because I know where my folks go pretty closely.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
My family life is virtually non-existent. The last time I went to a big family gathering was in June for my nephew's first birthday. I live with my immediate family. Outside of my mom, I don't speak to my oldest brother--who I also live with--unless I have to i.e. help the 'rent with groceries or other important matters. The rest of my family is scattered to the wind but I follow a few cousins on Instagram. I stopped following my older brother on Instagram after he posted some stuff I didn't agree with.

As for friends, it comes and it goes for me but I usually hang out with my volunteer circle friends every 2-3 weeks. With my closest friends, it's closer to at least once a week since I speak to them regularly. I also speak to a peer mentor once a week and I'm in a few Slack channels as well as some Discord servers. I lurk on Discord servers but I attend a few Zoom meetings in the Slack channels I'm in. But I'm trying to get involved in more volunteering and get a temp job before it gets colder. Once it gets colder and the sun goes down earlier, I'm going into hibernation with face to face socializing.

Otherwise, I've been enjoying going on lone bike ride trips and hanging out at parks. While I've thought about getting back on dating apps to try to date, it's not a high priority for me.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Nowadays I go to uni to work on a group project with my friends every weekday. My mood has gotten much better by just getting that daily interaction with other humans. I was feeling low for a while.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I moved to a new country in January and only one of us is allowed in the office at a time for the rest of the year. Nonexistent.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
In-laws used to be once a week. Now it's very very very seldom.

Don't know if it counts but a few times a week I get on discord with some friends to shoot the shit, watch anime, or a movie. They live far off in another state than me, regardless though.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's dead. I see a friend about once every month or so. If quarantine hadn't happened I would have been hanging out/going out with friends almost weekly over the summer. I haven't seen some of my friends since March.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Pretty shit when it comes to real life. I basically see my boyfriends twice a week and that's been it. I've seen a couple friends for birthdays here and there, but no real hangouts, mostly just me dropping off a little gift or something, saying hi, and then leaving.

Thankfully I stay connected with a lot of friends online so we have nightly game nights and chats. Those are basically keeping me sane lol.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I don't relate to most of this forum on this issue. I'm a restless extrovert. I have trusted friends and family that I see weekly. Covid is not that bad in Seattle so I'm not worried about it. Our data are looking really good. I work at a research institute that also researches covid, and I'm a PhD student in bioengineering, so I'm not a dumbass, I just am not intimidated by the statistics of the virus in King County. I just use a mask and social distance with strangers and continue on with my life, which as of the last 6 months has been mostly at home working remotely. I also have a boyfriend in addition to my husband (I'm poly) so I visit my bf and live with my husband. Probably gonna get shit on for this post but whatever.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen my family 3 times in these 6 months, seen the same "couple's friends" maybe 3 times? Maybe hung out with single people 3 times as well. I don't have a pool (it's been so hot here I had to take advantage of friends with pools ) or pets (not allowed in my apartment) and seeing people with pets that I can pet and touch and hold and smell and hear, I need that for my anxiety. I don't wanna be one of those a-holes that gets a therapy animal in an apartment complex that don't allow pets.

I personally don't see too much wrong with seeing friends if you remain outdoors, masked, and don't touch each other. Like, socially distanced outdoor BBQ or something.