• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I work IT for a big healthcare company and so far I've survived a few rounds of furloughs, but I work every day afraid that I'm next. I have a wife and 2 kids as well, so it's scary. I'm afraid of spending any money right now because of it.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this thread came back from the dead lol.

Fortunate to work for a software company that hasn't been too affected by this. I wonder if the calculus for what tech companies people wanna work for will change after this.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I was laid off, as the resort I worked at had to lay off basically everyone that worked there, excluding a small skeleton team. That being said, they gave us all some nice (non money) bonuses. (Super high quality food, toilet paper, soap, etc.)

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Mentioned this in the main COVID thread, but my company announced a bunch of "drastic" measures. They basically said that instead of taking small measures and gradually increasing those measures if/as things get worse, they are just going to take the worst-case scenario measures right off the bat.

-Lay offs (I can't remember what the number was, but I think around 10% of the company)
-CEO and other C-levels reducing salaries to $0
-"Over half" of the company is having their hours/salaries reduced 40%
-This is so the company can do the Texas Shared Work program
-Expect it to last through July, for the time being

I wasn't laid off thankfully, but I did have to go online and file for unemployment with Texas. Company says I should get weekly payments from TX for unemployment, and that because of the CARES Act I should "automatically get $600 a week on top of the unemployment". When I asked HR what we have to do to get any of that, she just said so long as I go file unemployment and confirm my company is doing Shared Work program, I will just automatically get all of that money, including the CARES stuff.

I'm super skeptical and super anxious/afraid right now. I don't work Monday or Tuesday anymore and I can't even get myself to be excited about that. Instead I feel like it's 2 extra days for me to marinate in my declining mental health and become even more depressed.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
Mentioned this in the main COVID thread, but my company announced a bunch of "drastic" measures. They basically said that instead of taking small measures and gradually increasing those measures if/as things get worse, they are just going to take the worst-case scenario measures right off the bat.

-Lay offs (I can't remember what the number was, but I think around 10% of the company)
-CEO and other C-levels reducing salaries to $0
-"Over half" of the company is having their hours/salaries reduced 40%
-This is so the company can do the Texas Shared Work program
-Expect it to last through July, for the time being

I wasn't laid off thankfully, but I did have to go online and file for unemployment with Texas. Company says I should get weekly payments from TX for unemployment, and that because of the CARES Act I should "automatically get $600 a week on top of the unemployment". When I asked HR what we have to do to get any of that, she just said so long as I go file unemployment and confirm my company is doing Shared Work program, I will just automatically get all of that money, including the CARES stuff.

I'm super skeptical and super anxious/afraid right now. I don't work Monday or Tuesday anymore and I can't even get myself to be excited about that. Instead I feel like it's 2 extra days for me to marinate in my declining mental health and become even more depressed.
Which industry?

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Just heard from a friend in beverage manufacturing. They are cutting a large amount of staff. I guess a lot of their customers are offices and restaurants. He's safe for now.

It's only surprising to me because for a while it felt good manufacturing wouldn't be impacted.

Gamer4life

Dec 6, 2017
No change for me really. The counties I work in have 2 to 4 deaths each Since mid March.. Company sent all of us in the field boxes of gloves, sanitizer and masks.

Oct 26, 2017
furloughed, and fighting with ohio to get unemployment, because I work full time + and take 1 college class. ohio unemployment is like because your a student we doubt you are working full time. so I now have to call them. grr

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Trying to certify UI on the CA website. It's been hammered all day and I'll probably have to wait until 2am to get it done.

Xena

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about hours cut / unemployment from CARE.

My lab reduced our hours to 30 a week because of the volume drop (they also say because they want to have "less people working in the lab at the same time").

We used to have 5x8hr shifts a week. Now we have 3x10hr shifts, in which we basically do 2 lab tech's work crammed into 10 hrs, but we are still being paid for 40hrs.

However, I read in various places that if your hours were reduced, you would be eligible for the full CARES 600 week unemployment.

Is my job indirectly screwing us over? Or am I being greedy? I mean, in the end I'm grateful they are paying us the 40hrs. But they are also making us work double the load in less than 16hrs. I make 1250 bi-weekly.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm fortunate to work somewhere that still has allot of work right now. And my wife does satcom sales for a large company and that's something people still really need. We're crazy lucky.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about hours cut / unemployment from CARE.

My lab reduced our hours to 30 a week because of the volume drop (they also say because they want to have "less people working in the lab at the same time").

We used to have 5x8hr shifts a week. Now we have 3x10hr shifts, in which we basically do 2 lab tech's work crammed into 10 hrs, but we are still being paid for 40hrs.

However, I read in various places that if your hours were reduced, you would be eligible for the full CARES 600 week unemployment.

Is my job indirectly screwing us over? Or am I being greedy? I mean, in the end I'm grateful they are paying us the 40hrs. But they are also making us work double the load in less than 16hrs. I make 1250 bi-weekly.
As long as you make even $1 from unemployment, you are eligible for the $600 extra. The biweekly amount is calculated by the state. It'd be worth it to at least try applying if the sites aren't broken still.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just working from home, health insurance. No idea how they're still working on this stuff and we're all getting paid the same. I'm impressed by my company but wouldn't be surprised if I get laid off for a few months. It's crazy that nobody in our department, including contractors have been laid off.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Got reduced by 25% and still coming into the office. Not sure how UI benefits work but hoping to get that $600 a week soon. I do enjoy the shortened weeks though

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
My company makes TB testing kits, so we're considered essential and still go to work, but we do split shifts so one half of us go in one week and the other half go in next week, and the team not at work does doc control while at home. The company itself is barely affected because we have several months worth of stock built up already. I think if somehow the company has to temporarily close fully, we've been promised full pay at least through the rest of the year.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I have worked only 3 days since mid march, almost all my shifts were canceled.
I'm a lighting technician and work on TV sets, theaters and theme parks, everything will remain closed for the coming months.
I only get money through unemployement now.
Not a great situation, I'm hoping things will change a bit on the TV front once the lockdown will be lifted mid may but I'm afraid they won't...

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
My mother in law, 65 year old receptionist for a private medical practice just got a call from work telling her she's let go with immediate effect. She's been at home since 20 March on her bosses instruction, expecting to go back on the 1st of May.

She's shook, and its going to make life extremely hard. She was paying me $600 a month in rent for food and to cover the morgage, so God knows how I'm going to pay for that shit now.

They're going to apply for unemployment for her, but its a joke here. R350 which is like $50 at a push.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Journalist here so I can still work from home, mostly. It'll stay this way until 11 May at least but with ads being way down, the future is unsecure. For the time being I get to work 90% of my hours and still full pay thanks to government support but I don't know how long that is supposed to last.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I took a voluntary leave of absence since I did not want to risk riding public transit to commute to work for limited hours and reduced pay, and my boss said corporate wouldn't dispute it if i claimed unemployment until things calm down, so all in all I'm doing well enough for myself at least for now.

Jan 4, 2018
I ended up in probably one of the most essential forms of business during all of this, so every day is an uphill battle that requires 110% from everybody, offers no additional pay, comes with risks to exposure, and customers are getting more upset every day. It's been hard the past month, but we're trying. It's nice to have a steady job through all of this, but it's also been the most draining few weeks of my life.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My company was an in-person event company, so they laid off more than half the staff and furloughed the rest right when this all was kicking off more than a month ago.

My whole dept. minus like 2 peeps were let go (including me). Just chilling on unemployment right now while I occasionally check out job listings. No one is hiring.

Wampa

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was let go without notice at the beginning of the month as well as my wife. Mentally its been completely draining. We are lucky to have a little in savings and own our home my heart hurts for those that are in such terrible positions right now.

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
Need some input. I'm from California and I currently work for a yogurt shop (should not be open during this time) and my boss is opening up the store in 2 weeks. I don't want them to open because of what's going on. Anyway, I'm on unemployment receiving $750 per week ($150+the extra $600) and store hours are going to be significant reduced. I don't feel comfortable returning for safety and monetary reasons. If i returned, would I be out of the $750 per week? I don't want to lose out on that money and risk my health and safety for less than $150 per week.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
Need some input. I'm from California and I currently work for a yogurt shop (should not be open during this time) and my boss is opening up the store in 2 weeks. I don't want them to open because of what's going on. Anyway, I'm on unemployment receiving $750 per week ($150+the extra $600) and store hours are going to be significant reduced. I don't feel comfortable returning for safety and monetary reasons. If i returned, would I be out of the $750 per week? I don't want to lose out on that money and risk my health and safety for less than $150 per week.
Does California have a max weekly amount assigned to you? I did my mom's in Texas and there's an amount you can reach until your UI is significantly reduced.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Company I work for mentioned pay cuts could be coming. That'll be the day I quit. I took a pay cut to come here, and my old employer wants me back. I hated that job, but I can't take another pay cut. I'd rather hate my job and be able to survive than work a job that's more tolerable (still don't like it) and not be able to get by.

The company I work for forced around 160 people this past week to sign a voluntary resignation instead of laying them off and there's more yet to come this week.
How do you force people to sign a voluntary resignation?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Just been informed of a 17.5% pay cut for the next two months. All upper management get a 30% pay cut. No Christmas bonus this year (10% of yearly wage) and no pay increases (was only going to be 1% anyway)

Not as bad as some of the above but it will hurt.

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
Does California have a max weekly amount assigned to you? I did my mom's in Texas and there's an amount you can reach until your UI is significantly reduced.

the max weekly amount is $450. I just don't want to be ineligible to claim unemployment (I am a part time worker going to college). I asked them to be furloughed so I can claim unemployment and they're "researching the legalities" aka just trying to weasel out of paying more on the unemployment insurance.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
In a bit of a different predicament since I'm a student. My paid internship for the summer was unfortunately cancelled.

Now I'm scrambling to find a new one. It would be my first source of income since last September and would help me get through my final semester of graduate school as my savings won't last much longer...

It's really disheartening to have to go through the process again, and this time during finals.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Nothing yet, even tho my work load is basically zero at the moment. But seems like there isn't even talk about furloughs. Maybe in September if things are still at standstill.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Yup finally got hit with the news last week. I'm off all this week and going forward every Sunday before the new week starts, I'll get a phone call of what days I'll work, if any. Luckily I've been saving money all year. Also applied for unemployment and just waiting on hearing back.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been hit 3 times now.

-I was promoted, but I'm not getting my $10k raise along with it.
-Company 401k match was cut to 0, a 2.5% pay cut.
-5% base pay cut

Obviously not as bad as others but with the last one, I'm wondering when I cross the threshold for expanded UI benefits if they keep cutting me.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Yes I've been unemployed/self-employed since my contact ran out in December fortunately I have enough to keep the business afloat until August, and savings I've been working on for 5 years or so to keep me further afloat until January before I claim benefits. So while I'm affected I'm not as affected as some and I feel fortunate.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Promotion due in April is frozen: 6.5% raise
Company 401k match: now 0

No one furloughed I don't think. Eh, could be worse. Work life balance went to absolute shit though. People working and expecting all answers of the night.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
No furloughs in my company yet (thankfully) but we're working from home and everybody did get pay-cuts based on their position. The higher-ups got a higher percentage of pay reduction but at least the entire process was transparent.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
How do you force people to sign a voluntary resignation?

Because we have no union, and there's no interest on my coworkers to create one.

As for "forcing you to voluntarily resign", this company promised them a job after all this ends; basically they convinced them one way or another to resign instead of laying them off to pay way less liquidations. It's very illegal but many people working here have their homes on small communities and filling a lawsuit is hard for them because they live far away from the capital (where most if not all legal system in each state are). So they just took whatever peanuts the company gives them instead of fight for their rights. Sadly it's a "it's better than nothing" situation for them. Don't get them wrong, they can sue back but many won't do it for fear, and the distances involved in every travel to the capital generates them a cost that most of the time they can't cover at the time.

IDK if it's the same for every country, but this is what happens at least in Mexico (I apologize in advance if I'm mistaken, it's been a hard week at the job and I'm very tired):

If you worked for a company for less than a year at $7k pesos/month (roughly $300US, the salary they earned here) and it lays you off without a real motive, you can walk to the bank easily with $25k pesos (around $1100US) at the very least, the government forces them to pay you for 3 months of government health care and for 3 monthly payments for your house if you got it via government housing program (INFONAVIT, FOVISSSTE) until you get another job (more months for now until the COVID19 gets under control); also depending the bank you can get your credit card payed, a car credit heavily discounted or totally cleared up (if you have one already) and some go as far as to fully pay your house credit or just a considerable part of the debt; and you gain the ability to sue the company for anything going from sexual harassment to physical or psychological damage and all in between. Also the company gets fined up its ass by the IMSS (healthcare), HACIENDA (taxes) and other government agencies for every worker laid-off without a real motive.

But if you resign with that same salary, you just get that week (or bi-week) check, plus whatever money you had on your company savings account, something like $5k pesos total (more or less $200US), no insurance or benefits whatsoever and you lose the ability to sue the company since you state that you are leaving "in good terms by yourself" in the letter you have to write.

In both cases, you can get more money if you worked 1+ years in the company, the amount is nigh and day depending if you resigned or if you were laid-off.

Sorry for the wall of text, it helped me to relax until my shift ends.

PS To the US citizens: STOP DRINKING SO MUCH BEER! We are tired and understaffed!

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if the calculus for what tech companies people wanna work for will change after this.
I'd quite like some sort of database to be compiled of each company and their approach to this crisis, because we're really seeing which companies are decent and which ones are pieces of shit. It would be instructive not just for workers choosing where to take jobs in the future, but also for consumers choosing where to spend their money.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
the max weekly amount is $450. I just don't want to be ineligible to claim unemployment (I am a part time worker going to college). I asked them to be furloughed so I can claim unemployment and they're "researching the legalities" aka just trying to weasel out of paying more on the unemployment insurance.
There's actually a max amount that they calculate specifically for you. My mother's was $354 based on her income. If she makes more than 10% higher than that amount any of these weeks, she's not eligible for any funds.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
I'm very fortunate, joined a fintech on March 2, didn't even get 2 weeks at the office as the entire company (2k+ people) moved to full remote.

No salary or job cuts (actually we hired dozens more after the start of the pandemic), delivering to people their chairs/monitors to work at home.

Execs were very open about our financial status and stress scenarios they run to figure out our situation.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
My office is all working from home aside from like 6 people. At the start of this 4 out of ~45 got laid off temporarily but they were all special situations. 2 are single parents who took a lay off to look after their kids while they aren't in school, 2 were new hires who weren't trained enough to work from home.

It's an independent public accounting firm so we're all still working lots of OT to get through tax season. Nobody knows what's going to happen with our audits this summer. I'm a bit worried about the firm financially and could see other layoffs happening as this goes on.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question as I'm currently certifying my weeks. I'm in California and in my 2nd week I got the stimulus check.

Do I report that as part of my earned money for the week or just put nothing? Hoping someone else recently ran to the same problem I have.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
California: if you receive the message "there are no benefits available to you for this period" is that basically a denial of unemployment? We haven't gotten anything else in the mail, so there's no way to appeal at this point, and still no way to actually speak to someone about why this is happening. My partner has been without any income since mid-March, and the process has been so slow and unintuitive, it's beyond frustrating. He's as deserving as anyone for unemployment, we really don't know what else to do.