• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that this game was available for VR... but it's not. That's crazy, as it's the game that needs to be in VR.

Do you think that it will happen eventually? I'd love for my first time playing the game to be in VR.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It would work pretty great in VR, I feel! There have certainly been mods to unofficially do it that have been reported to be somewhat effective, but I think a proper conversion to VR could give this game extra life. I think the major complaint from the unofficial ones is that it's an experience that really requires the player to have built a lot of "VR legs" because it only has the option for traditional movement which can cause motion sickness for some folks — myself included. But I've not actually seen gameplay or looked too deeply into it as I only have a PSVR that I've never tried to hook up to or mod to work on a PC.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has a pretty popular modded VR mode already.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
Oh lord no

(it does though. and they need the hold the tools physics from Alyx so it's even tenser.)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a facehugger jump on your face and feeling the headset on you would probably lead to heart attacks.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
The VR mod is really great and by great I mean absolutely terrifying. Great conversion and incredibly playable. Adds a whole new dimension to it.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
MotherVR mod is what you are looking for, guy who made that has been working on ReclaimerVR for MCC (all games) but just did a small update 2 days ago

SecondVariety

Oct 29, 2017
I played it in VR at E3 before the game released and was surprised that no official VR mode shipped. That was really when the VR hype was hitting an apex.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I played it in VR at E3 before the game released and was surprised that no official VR mode shipped. That was really when the VR hype was hitting an apex.

Same. Made sure it was my first VR experience as well, of which I jumped back into my seat when the alien killed me. If I recall correctly, it was basically a specially made level showcasing some of the mechanics from the game.

Played through the whole game with the VR mod mentioned above. As long as you can accept the major drawbacks for comfort, it's very immersive.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
The real dream is an update/rerelease that adds official VR support, TAA, and ray tracing.

Alien Isolation is a masterpiece and it's just, JUST shy of visual perfection. The unofficial VR mode is the scariest thing I've ever played.

SecondVariety

Oct 29, 2017
Same. Made sure it was my first VR experience as well, of which I jumped back into my seat when the alien killed me. If I recall correctly, it was basically a specially made level showcasing some of the mechanics from the game.

Played through the whole game with the VR mod mentioned above. As long as you can accept the major drawbacks for comfort, it's very immersive.

I remember thinking I was doing great until the Alien killed me, and yet still being relieved. I'm really glad that enough of that work shipped with the game. It must be one of the cooler mods around.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Already finished it with the MotherVR mod.

Originally the game was meant to come with it, but they pulled it at the last second.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I played it entirely in VR on nightmare in 2020 using Mother VR. It functions from start to finish.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
MotherVR? Never heard of it. Thanks for this thread, I'm going to try it.

I bought VorpX back in 2017 to play this in VR, but it turned out VorpX is trash that just puts a flat screen in your VR view.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
About to see what this dxgi.dll is all about... Wish me luck!

Question: Would you recommend VR controllers or control pad for the best VR experience?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
a damn shame no official support but as stated there's several workarounds

strangely though, i get horrible motion sickness playing it in VR. and i have very very good VR legs, happens with almost no other VR game

Nov 1, 2017
Same here, except it was at EGX. That's what's weird, VR support was obviously in an advanced enough state to demo it and then the game just shipped without it. Gotta say, it was one of the most intense gaming experiences of my life. It's a complete no brainer, but the window has definitely passed in terms of official support via an update/patch, thank god for mods!

s2398jgi2jf

Feb 5, 2020
AuthenticM please play MotherVR as half the people here have suggesated.

The mod is currently missing real VR motion controls which is a shame but still completely playable with gamepad.

I played all of my 20 hours of my first playthrough in VR.

I see the mod author literally just released the first update in 2 years - promising to open source it in January. Maybe some one will take it all the way with full motion controller integration. If that happens, I'll replay it.

While we're talking about VR mods, please buy Outer Wilds and then download NomaiVR mod. Probably the best VR mod which makes it probably the best VR game...

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing this in VR with a mod, can't remember what it was called though. Worked pretty good, except for some of the cutscenes where things got reeeeally rough. I specifically remember in the beginning where the character is lying down and stands up, I went from fine to queasy in a couple of seconds. But playing the game worked well enough.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
I played it with the mod, and it's a great mod. No need for official support really.
If you're too scared I still recommend trying it. The first 3-4 hours of the game let you explore the ship without the alien. And just for that it's well worth it. Great atmosphere and visuals.