• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it better to start a YouTube/twitch/instagram channel these days?

I'm 90% joking
Why not both? They are mutually exclusive. Lots of comedians on YT for example.

Same thing with film making. You have a pocket studio if you have a smartphone.

OP, just do it. You're young. What is the worst that can happen? You no have kids. No mortgage. My only advice is to develop marketable skills as well.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I have a friend who moved to LA.

She did some stuff like recording videos for Gamestop, and then she moved to NYC and became an entertainment reporter, interviewing stars like DiCaprio.

I didn't think she was gonna make it but she somehow did. She did graduate from UF with a background in TV production and all that, so she did have the skills, and she is tall and pretty as well, so she had educational/natural advantages. At the same time, shit, not everyone who goes to LA ends up getting into the successful career they hoped for. I was pleasantly shocked but very happy for her.

Oct 27, 2017
many more opportunities to break in the industry in other cities like atlanta, new orleans, albuquerque, or pittsburgh
l.a. is saturated and much less is actually filmed there nowadays since the state tax credit is easier to navigate elsewhere
going to l.a. to "make it" is hard-mode

GalacticToast

Oct 25, 2017
It's relatively easy if you're born and raised here and DON'T go into the entertainment industry. Which isn't you. So good luck OP.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Filmmaking, so my realistic expectations is that I can at least work on something and hopefully leads to a career , start at the bottom and see what happens
Give it a shot. It will be hard but, duh.

-you *must* have a car
-find a place either in the valley or with roommates or both
-in your spare time, volunteer on small sets as often as possible. AFI film students /USC film students are always looking for good volunteers etc.
-try to PA
-get comfortable with a lot of rejection
-find a group of peeps with similar aspirations who are productive, even if they are just small projects (a lot of people talk but don't do much)
-get a job that puts you in proximity, like catering and do a good job. You'll meet PAs etc.
-give it your all

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
In reading your post it doesn't sound like you actually have experience in film-making yet?

It sounds like you plan on going to LA and then taking classes to learn the ropes? If that's the case I don't think this will work out for you... plenty of people move out there that are super talented and still don't make it.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend staying at home and taking some basic film classes at your local community college before moving your entire life to LA. You'll at least have something in your portfolio and get a chance to see if it's something you actually want to do.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
lifeinhell.jpg

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[
In reading your post it doesn't sound like you actually have experience in film-making yet?

It sounds like you plan on going to LA and then taking classes to learn the ropes? If that's the case I don't think this will work out for you... plenty of people move out there that are super talented and still don't make it.
well I don't but it's always been my dream, I do photography and videography as my hobby but creativity is my one strong point that I have, I suppose what motivates me is all the awful stuff that is created and yet those people still have careers, as long as I believe I can do something better than that, I would be ok with that.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Don't waste your time with a community college course on learning filmmaking. Get a PA job for a production or post-production company and ascend the ranks that way. You'll learn on the job and build your connections that way.

I work for a high end post-production company, and we're training a PA here to do what we do. I've seen this happen in many other cases at previous companies. Many of my friends and former coworkers started low, learned how to be an offline editor or an assistant editor or an online editor, and moved on to better jobs at different companies.

While you can learn in a classroom, you're going to better learn in a professional setting. I have a film degree from UCSC, but nobody I worked for knows or cares.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
If you want to direct, fine, but also learn how to do something technical that'll make you more employable as you continue to work towards directing (color grading, editing, DIT, lighting, VFX, something). Everyone here thinks they're a great director and writer. Most people here know they're shit at technical work. Whatever you can do to make you more employable will help.

Be not just willing, but hungry, to network. Unless you make some shit that wins big festivals or goes super viral, you'll need referrals and opportunities from people who like you. Going to school is great for networking, but like the guy above me says, getting your feet wet on sets will probably help you learn the ropes faster. And you can still network.

Have a concrete strategy, be open to learning new things, but also be selective with your time given your finite budget. Not all opportunities are equally worth the commitment.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
If you would get dissuaded by a forum thread, then you never had the conviction to "make it" to begin with.

So fly Armadilo, fly! Remember us when you are married to J-Law and accepting your Oscar.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
February is when I plan to move there, I have money saved up and then the search for a job anywhere basically, retail and what not
Moving there without already having a job nailed down is a huge mistake and you're going to end up having your dreams crushed just like thousands of other people who have done the exact same thing have... But if you're dead set on doing this at least keep your options as open as possible. Take whatever work you can find, don't hold out waiting for something higher up the food chain than where you're realistically at.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moving there without already having a job nailed down is a huge mistake and you're going to end up having your dreams crushed just like thousands of other people who have done the exact same thing have... But if you're dead set on doing this at least keep your options as open as possible. Take whatever work you can find, don't hold out waiting for something higher up the food chain than where you're realistically at.
I was applying but I believe it's better to wait until I'm there, hard to apply to jobs when your current address is not in the city that you are applying, especially when I just have retail customer service experience. Maybe if I had a coding background or manager experience it would be different, but I don't care where I work at as long as it's something. I'll even go to a temp agency if I can't find anything but my resume should speak for itself as every job that I've had, I've stayed for a year or more. I just need an interview and I'm that confident that I'll at least be considered.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Double post- sorry but I head out tomorrow, it's a 6 hour drive and hope to update this thread as life occurs, bad or good, but hopefully only good , Let's GO!

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck dude! Don't wear a hoodie for interviews ;)

Don't waste your time with a community college course on learning filmmaking. Get a PA job for a production or post-production company and ascend the ranks that way. You'll learn on the job and build your connections that way.

I work for a high end post-production company, and we're training a PA here to do what we do. I've seen this happen in many other cases at previous companies. Many of my friends and former coworkers started low, learned how to be an offline editor or an assistant editor or an online editor, and moved on to better jobs at different companies.

While you can learn in a classroom, you're going to better learn in a professional setting. I have a film degree from UCSC, but nobody I worked for knows or cares.

This is basically what my cousin did. He had an associate degree in sound-related stuff, though.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck dude! Don't wear a hoodie for interviews ;)

This is basically what my cousin did. He had an associate degree in sound-related stuff, though.
I'm excited, it isn't 2012 anymore ... but I got there eventually.. I'm not here to party or just have fun, im focused and want to work hard, I'll try my bestāœŒļø

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
The odds are slim to none but you know what OP? You got this. So many people never had the balls to do what you are trying so go out there network like crazy and make that dream come true.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost a week and it's definitely hard, I'm still applying everyday and looking everywhere. Sucks that I have two years working as a customer service representative at a car wash, The ones that are express, guides the cars in and cashiering basically but never actually wash them. I do a lot of upselling and stuff that would be closer to cell phone stores.

But people look at it as just a car wash place. Hard so far but it's just the beginning.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Double post sorry- life update.

It's been a month now that I've lived in LA. I got a security guard job, it's not that good but hey it's a job, hopefully I'll stay there for a bit then move onto somewhere bigger and easier hopefully.

I haven't explored or have done anything fun, since I got here I've been focused on finding a job.

Hopefully I can start enjoying LA soon.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Double post sorry- life update.

It's been a month now that I've lived in LA. I got a security guard job, it's not that good but hey it's a job, hopefully I'll stay there for a bit then move onto somewhere bigger and easier hopefully.

I haven't explored or have done anything fun, since I got here I've been focused on finding a job.

Hopefully I can start enjoying LA soon.

Glad to hear you secured a job. Wishing you continued success.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear you secured a job. Wishing you continued success.
Slowly but surely, I applied for an apartment near Downton LA. It's super small but it would be my first ever, Around $1,200 with utilities included and it's not the best but it's time to hustle and work hard. So by the time the lease is over I can actually get an amazing apartment.

Plus I hope to start gaining some experience in film production or even work with Youtube Creators soon, time to do this! I bet on myself and no backing out now! Let's Go!

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Double post-

I got my own small apartment, now I'm just trying to get a better job and hopefully I can soon start to actually have fun in LA

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
I have few friends who are actors. The most successful has worked in network sitcoms in reocurring support roles well as bunch of independent movies, but he still works full time as a bartender in Hollywood. He's been at this a long time too. He's has limited success, but it seems like still a struggle.