• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
This is something I really struggle with. I work in a field where it can be very useful - journalism/entertainment media - but I find self-promotion, especially on social media, really exhausting and egocentric.

I guess the latter is kinda the point, but I know people who put themselves out there tend to have more clout with securing opportunities, but I find keeping up with it super draining. Work/money is fine, but there's definitely part of me that would love more prestigious/glorious work gigs, which I'd have a chance of nabbing if I really made a concerted effort to have a Brand or bigger online presence.

What about you guys? Be it your job or a hobby you're hoping to turn into a gig, or even your passion projects like YouTube channels etc? Any advice?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I just self promoted myself as the new owner of Capcom

see how easy it is ?

*Please don't fire me capcom*

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I consider it my biggest weakness as far as personality traits go, for essentially the same reasons you list. It is EASILY the part of my innate self that holds me back in this world the most.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not very well at the moment, I've put off establishing a social media presence on the likes of Instagram for a few months now because it's just not in my personality to do those sort of things, even though I have a whole slew of selected work to present.

I'll force myself to do it soon enough, like all things.

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to be clever and post my twitch and say I'm good at self promotion but in actuality i'm legit bad at it so I wont.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
In terms of content sharing, it's incredibly difficult to not come off as very show-offy and annoying.

I remember a couple years ago, I saw a popular gaming Youtuber who I really enjoyed obviously promoting his content on Reddit under different accounts and pretending they weren't him. He was getting a lot of shit for it, so I started sharing his videos too because when you're An up and coming channel, you need that push.

I don't create much of my own content, but I love sharing others. The way to be good at it is to be honest, transparent and frankly stubborn.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I really wish it came naturally to put myself out there, but for me it comes the opposite of naturally. I don't want to draw attention to myself and be evaluated unless I have complete confidence in whatever it is that I'm presenting, and that's next to impossible both at work and with my creative hobbies.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I used to be bad at it when I was younger, because I came from stereotypically Midwestern/Lutheran family ("don't go makin' a big deal out of yerself, just put yer head down and do the werk"), but I was fortunate to know a few people who were able to provide an alternate point of view, as well as show me the ropes. No one is your biggest fan & advocate except you and your mom, so it's a good skill to learn.

I'm pretty good at it now, and learned how to walk the line of being confident and assertive about my knowledge, skills, and experience, and not coming-off as conceited or arrogant.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who wants to work in film, not very good. But at the end of the day content is king over promotion. Luck is also more important.

As for my day job: Give your best, dont talk to much, dont involve yourself in "taboo" subjects like politics at work. And have principles. If you do this, you don't need to promote yourself.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I never liked it. I generally tried to avoid positions where it would be needed and worked at smaller places as a result. Shit was just too exhausting the one time I had to do it that I never wanted to do it again.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Very.

First words spoken to me, on the first day of my career: Confidence before competence.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Not too good. Seems like nobody new has been made aware of my music or the fact that is on YouTube and can be found searching for my Eponymous channel.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Bad, really fucking bad.

I cringe inside whenever I attempt to do it in a review or interview etc. Really hard for me to overcome that, unless I'm drunk but I can't turn up drunk obviously.

I'll have random flashbacks in my mind for ages after an interview or something thinking how cringey and cocky it sounded when I said something.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I'm motivated to do so, like in job interviews, I'm damn good. But when it comes to office politics? Fuck that. I'm not gonna go socialize with people I'll never interact with in hopes they like me for anything besides my skills. Which is a sad reality if you hope to stay in one company for the majority of your career but I have no need to do so at the moment and my position is low enough it doesn't matter I don't play this.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've never had to deal with it given my line of work (what am I gonna do, have some YouTube video where I'm in my cubicle like "Yo, powershell scripting coming at yaaa!! *air horns*), but from what I have gathered following public figures on social media over the years, it's probably best to hire some firm to do it for you.

Edit: oh if things like interviews are included, I guess I am OK. Only bombed / walked out on a few.