• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I used to be on top of replying right away but honestly my experiences with nearly everyone and their awful replying track records, kind of made me stop caring with replying timely myself. So now I'm pretty inconsistent/bad with it. I just stopped caring.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
We're not really that close and I'm happy for him if it means a promotion. He's mentioned the possibility during pillow talk more than once.

So I didn't really know what to say over text that couldn't be misinterpreted. I don't want him to think "good riddance" but I don't want him to think "please don't go" either. I'm completely overthinking it

Just say you are sad you won't be able to see him regularly but you are happy he's getting a promotion. So you fully support whatever decision he makes.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1/10. I don't even reply if the phones already in my hand pretty often and after a minute or two often forget to check the message anyway. If I see something important pop up I'll reply but otherwise you might be waiting a few hours because I was already on a mobile game or something.

If you respond quickly often it becomes a chain. I hate that shit.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I turn off read receipts, but I usually respond immediately, or within a short period of time assuming I'm not away from my phone.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
For work i'm fairly quick to respond. If i'm taking my time it's probably because i don't want to respond.

But personally.... i'm terrible.... i have a single friend i talk to daily but other than that it takes such an energy from me to get back to people in time. I'm sorry to everyone. I suck and you can stop messaging me. I'll understand.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Absolutely horrible lol. I never replied back after my dad last wrote me in 2011 following the big Japan quake. It's been a few months since I replied to my mom but she occasionally writes even though I haven't replied bless her heart. I'm about two years late on a reply to my sister.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely great. That's why I always don't understand why other people don't do the same, so sometimes I just don't bother and don't communicate with some people anymore.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
At work I'm super responsive during business hours but make a point not to respond outside then unless it's urgent.

In real life I'm terrible and will either respond instantaneously or in three days.

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
Bad, super bad.

There's this old lady I became friends with in Canada, treats me like her granddaughter, and ever since I moved abroad she sends me messages occasionally and I find myself responding weeks later. Still haven't replied to her last message from two weeks ago. I've been extremely busy but that's no excuse, all it takes is 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Immediately, but if someone reads a message and doesn't respond for weeks or months I know they're not worth the effort from that point on. I've got a couple of exceptions to the rule who I'll always drop everything for though.

DocScroll

May 25, 2021
Really slow if a family member messages me on Facebook, and too quickly on WhatsApp. I have no chill when it comes to delaying texts.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I try to respond immediately or at the latest within a few hours.

Blowing people off is pretty shitty unless you are in the middle of something really intensive. It takes 15 seconds to message someone back.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if its a text, I do it right away, I don't listen to voicemails but if I see that someone I know called me I call them back as soon as possible.

I have a few friends that take a long time to get back about something or don't reply at all; and its just annoying.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If someone I know calls me I call back ASAP. I don't talk on the phone so if someone's calling me it's something important.

For friends I text back as soon as I have something to say, unless I'm busy doing something and the response isn't urgent. If it's just an acquaintance and they're sending me something odd I may not respond for a bit.

I don't mind people who take awhile to text back, so long as they text back eventually. Like, I have a friend that's super busy so our conversations spread out over days as we have time to respond and that's fine. Growing up I had one friend who'd only respond to texts if he was free (even if they were important) and would never text back if they were busy at the time, and another who would just disappear mid conversation and respond back the next week 'maybe' and disappear again. I liked that less.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really hate to be some of your friends or family who text you about something and you can't be bothered to text back for a week.

Unless I am driving or something like that, I pretty much text back right away unless I don't see/hear the message.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
If you're paying me or fucking me, pretty good. Otherwise, it varies wildly.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i reply as soon as i see someone has messaged/called me. unless i'm driving of course then i'll reply when i'm out the car. it's ignorant and rude to not reply when you see it i think.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty good!

I think it's just my psychological composition lol. People are always surprised by it haha.

So because of this, I do need to turn off notifications from to time to time to get stuff done.

I'd really hate to be some of your friends or family who text you about something and you can't be bothered to text back for a week.

Unless I am driving or something like that, I pretty much text back right away unless I don't see/hear the message.

Do ever her just check back on them after a day? I notice that works. I think today, with attention being so divided, I can see that happening a lot. It happens to me and I just ping them saying, "hello?" lol. I only do this with folks I have good rapport already. And I make a joke out of it.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Usually good and I'll respond right away. Though depending on who it is, I may wait a while because I don't feel like getting into a conversation. I have one friend who tends to call and I just don't feel like it. There's also times I'm busy and forget after seeing it, or don't notice my phone vibrating if I don't have my volume up.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clever bump. I'm awful at it, I'll frequently get texts, say oh I'll respond to that soon and forget until 8 hours later or the next day. I'm not a huge texter so it's not a big deal. I only respond immediately to texts if it's work related or a close friend/family. The less close I am to you the less likely I am to respond immediately

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
If it's something urgent, I usually reply as soon as I notice it. If not, I might take several days, or not reply at all if a reply isn't really needed.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it depends on how invested I am in the conversation. Like if it's important or the conversation has a point I'll try to answer right away. If it's just small talk and not important, it could take an hour or more.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I generally respond to texts from friends/family within minutes, if not immediately. I'm not in regular contact with more than a handful of people.

If we're talking emails, when I have time to form a proper response depending on the purpose of the message.

Oct 29, 2017
Atrocious. I piss off coworkers and family members on a regular basis. I was a flakey recluse before COVID made it cool.

Sputnik Sweetheart

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 31, 2017
I'm all over the place. Some people can be left on read for days or weeks. Some will get a response straight away or whenever I have a moment. Usually it depends on the kind of relationship or what's been asked.

Some of my best friendships I've made in recent years have embraced this though as they've learnt it's not a lack of love or care so much as wanting to give a decent response. I have a few whatsapp chats that read more like friends sending one another postcards. Unless it's arranging a meetup we'll have weeks inbetween messages... but the messages will have quite a bit to say as a result and are just a lot warmer. It's also just nice knowing there's no rush.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty good, I'd say. I try to reply as soon as I have time. That could be in less than a minute, an hour, or several hours.

Edit: Like TaySan says below, it also depends on how well I actually get along with the person or if I even feel like dealing with them at all, but I do generally like the people who I add as friends/followers/contacts.

Last edited:

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
6/10. Status is always inactive. If I care I will respond if not hungover (If am if I really care a bit faster).