• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Muse98

May 28, 2020
I suck at it so much that most of my family thinks I hate them and that I don't want to communicate with them. I've lost a couple of friends because of it as well. If a text or voicemail doesn't include something important that needs to be taken care of immediately I won't respond to it until days later sometimes even weeks.

I see no point in pointless phone calls just to stay in touch. They seem like a waste of time to me.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I respond to any text immediately. If I get a call, unless its an absolute emergency with a voicemail, I dont answer it or call back. Ur getting a text back way later saying "sorry I missed your call, what did you need?" Hate talking on the phone.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm also pretty terrible at this. If something doesn't seem pressing I'll reply to it, eh, sooner or later, when I get a chance. Most of my friends/family are used to it but it makes dating a pain.

In general I'm a pretty "one track" person, so like, if I'm in the middle of something - even something frivolous like watching a movie - I'm not even going to look at my messages. But on the flipside, when I am talking to someone, I put all my attention on that, so there's a tradeoff.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not. I'm inconsistent. Sometimes I reply an hour later. Sometimes a day later. Sometimes not at all. And then sometimes I'll reply and chat someone's ear off.

Unless it's an emergency I don't really enjoy socializing unless I feel like putting myself out there.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I'm definitely not great at it in terms of consistency but it usually depends on what its about. I never go days without responding in most cases but hours yes, even if I read it right away.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty quick. Worst case scenario is the next day. If they reach out to you it's cuz they care and that's worth holding on to.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Yeah I'm also pretty terrible at this. If something doesn't seem pressing I'll reply to it, eh, sooner or later, when I get a chance. Most of my friends/family are used to it but it makes dating a pain.

In general I'm a pretty "one track" person, so like, if I'm in the middle of something - even something frivolous like watching a movie - I'm not even going to look at my messages. But on the flipside, when I am talking to someone, I put all my attention on that, so there's a tradeoff.
More or less this is me as well.

Doomg0d

Mar 26, 2019
I guess I was taught that not acknowledging someone is considered rude so ill always respond back. If I'm watching something or playing a game I can always pause it. That being said when I'm going to sleep my phone sound is off. Ain't nobody gonna disturb me at the crack of dawn.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Really terrible. I'm trying to be better about it but I've been in a responsive communication slump for about a month

An FWB of mine asked me how I would feel if he moved to Seattle a week ago and I still haven't replied

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Personal: I respond as soon as possible to everyone, except for my Aunt that drives me insane texting me daily so I put off responding to her ramblings until she's probably sleeping

Work: depends on how busy I am and who it is. I'll respond right away to my bosses, but it might be a few days for other people if I'm swamped. I respond as soon as I can though

Oct 27, 2017
Depends. My kids right away. Everyone else it could be soon, later that day, tomorrow or never. Depends on the urgency and whether I care enough about them and whatever it is to respond.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
I have complete OCD when it comes to replying to people. So yeah it's almost always immediately.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on the person and the kind of message they sent me and how preoccupied I am at the time.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the time, its within a few minutes to a few hours. I leave my phone on silent all the time, so I do miss a lot of calls or text. People think I block them. I don't. Sometimes I actually forget to respond and its been a few days so I'll either call or text back. It happens.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
If I get a message and see it, provided I'm not doing anything else (like in the middle of work) then I'll reply to it. Unless it's just a general group thing where I'll check the message and if it's something that affects me then I'll reply, if it's another shitty joke or my friend getting outraged yet again that corporations suck then I just leave it.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
I respond to any text immediately. If I get a call, unless its an absolute emergency with a voicemail, I dont answer it or call back. Ur getting a text back way later saying "sorry I missed your call, what did you need?" Hate talking on the phone.
Exactly the same unless I don't like you But even then the most I'll leave you on read is 15 minutes.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
literally the worst on planet earth

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
If I notice it usually immediately, but sometimes I can go days without even thinking about my phone and miss things. If someone really needs to talk to me they need to call because I can tune out a text notification noise much easier than a ring. My job also doesn't allow us to have phones in the building so if they hit me up during work hours it can be a whole shift before I get back to them. Mostly because I am much to lazy to walk to my car.

Aug 13, 2019
God awful. I don't really communicate with anyone without a good reason. I won't call or text just to see how they're doing. And I don't really respond to texts in a timely manner. My uncle, father, and sisters have all expressed their disdain for my lack of communication.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
I think I've lost almost all my friends because I never stay in touch and people kind of lose interest in contacting me anymore.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I reply back almost instantly unless if I'm truly busy or in a situation where it would be considered rude. I value my friends and family and have no intention of keeping anyone hanging.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
The thing I've learned for myself over the years is that if I see a message and don't reply immediately, I'm going to fail hard at replying in a reasonable time. This happens even with literally my favorite people who I love most in the world. ADHD is annoying as fuck, and this is just one of the fun ways.

So yeah, I tend to reply back either immediately because my phone just happened to be in my hand, or I forget and do it hours/days later. If it gets to weeks...I just kind of never go back until something reminds me to reconnect with said person.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready at it sometimes, I stretch myself too thin and then try to wait for the right time to properly reply...and this happens with people I really want to correspond with, too...sorry RatskyWatsky =(

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I either respond to stuff immediately (because I'm not occupied) or I leave shit on read for an eternity.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

We're not really that close and I'm happy for him if it means a promotion. He's mentioned the possibility during pillow talk more than once.

So I didn't really know what to say over text that couldn't be misinterpreted. I don't want him to think "good riddance" but I don't want him to think "please don't go" either. I'm completely overthinking it

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I typically respond immediately to text unless I'm on a date or dedicating my focus to a person/group. This has created the problem where if I don't respond in a minute or so I'll get follow ups or calls from people going "are you okay???" My dad is especially guilty and I'd wind up with multiple missed calls over the course of a dinner date lol.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Used to be quick, but now I don't give a shit lol because there's people texting me on WhatsApp and IG and I'd waste too much time if I had to reply to everyone immediately. I'd rather be doing things than spend too much time on my phone, it's why I also don't use dating apps anymore.

Blairbat

Oct 29, 2017
Sacramento, California
It depends on the person, but I hate the fact I am the way I am with this. Generally, I am pretty anti social and I never really feel like having a live text conversation with someone. In this regard, it dose not matter who it is. so many times I'll wait it out a bit until I know the person is either busy or sleeping before replying, so I can avoid a live conversation with them. When I do reply, it is often a long message, so I do put effort into my replies. I just do not have the energy to sit there and chat back and fourth, and I am not the type to end a conversation when I get in one, as I don't want to be rude, so I just wait until they do not want to text anymore. I don't know why I am this way really, but it is nothing against the other person. I want to be better though. I want to be a better text replier person.

OP
OP
Muse98

Muse98

May 28, 2020
Really terrible. I'm trying to be better about it but I've been in a responsive communication slump for about a month

An FWB of mine asked me how I would feel if he moved to Seattle a week ago and I still haven't replied

lmao sorry I find this funny only because I've done the exact same thing to a fwb as well…in the end I guess he got fed up and un added me and blocked me

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Really tempted to bump this in 6 months time.....

I'm bad. I should be replying to an email RIGHT NOW, but here I am.

Mesoian

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 28, 2017
Professionally? Extremely good, within minutes everytime.

Personally? Eh, unless you're bleeding or something, it can wait.

Oct 27, 2017
I reply to most friends/family either right away or I'll give it a few minutes to think of an actual response to their question or whatever. Sometimes people text me stupid things and I just ignore it and don't reply. I don't mind chatting about music, movies, etc with friends, but I don't want to discuss personal issues or legit life problems over text. Just meet me in person for that.

I don't like talking on the phone, but I force myself to pick up incoming calls from work/job, family and most friends. Never scam likely or randoms. Sometimes I'm not in the mood and don't pick up calls from distant relatives who I don't even like lol.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have a tendency to check a message on my Apple Watch, think I'll get back to it in a bit, and then completely space it. I maybe do that to one in ten or so messages. But generally I think I'm pretty good at remembering to get back to people.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Absolutely horrible. If a message is long especially, I just get overwhelmed and am like "I'll do this when I'm in the right frame of mind" but turns out I'm pretty much never in the right frame of mind. Then I take so long to get back to it that it feels awkward to do so and then disappear in guilt. I feel bad about it because it's totally on me and not the other person, but god, I just have an extremely hard time with keeping up with a conversation of any size.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Depends on who they are.

Wife and/or parents = instantly

Cousins/aunt/uncles = varies between 1 to 7 days

Boss = instantly

Co-Worker = few min if not instant if its work related - within a day or two if its not work related

Acquaintances irl or online = varies on the acquaintance , could be between 1 day to 1 month

Stranger on a group FB/whatsapp chat = varies on the subject, etc = matter of minutes or never.

Too busy most of the time (and a bit of I dont really care or dont see it as important for non-work/non-immediate family people).

Its also one of the reasons why I never have discord on my phone (or anywhere to be honest lol) and I only use Whatsapp/Nextdoor/etc just to see people posting news and info - I never respond or actively post unless I am asking for something.

Kinda like what I do here when making threads - almost all of my threads are questions about something I am interested in getting, etc.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I keep my read receipts off. I read your message, I'm probably just busy thinking about dumb shit I did in middle school and don't feel like replying.