• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
This looks bloody magnificent.

It has a proper magic system and calls out to me far more than Botw. The combat and animations are better too.

Will be getting this day one on PC.

Go on miHoyo Studios. Make your mark, King.

rn6Wd3c.png
Yeah combat is a copy from Granblue Relink too no wonder

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
As far as shameless clones though, I'd rather have these than when mobile game publishers clone games from small developers months after they come out. Breath of the Wild with different fighting mechanics is still something.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Shameless but impressive is legit the most fitting description of this game lmao. OP nailed it.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they got some inspiration from Talesweaver. It was pretty interesting in how it tackled the player character, and I'm getting that same vibe here. Kind of. Now I sort of want a spiritual successor to Talesweaver. Argh.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they got some inspiration from Talesweaver. It was pretty interesting in how it tackled the player character, and I'm getting that same vibe here. Kind of. Now I sort of want a spiritual successor to Talesweaver. Argh.
Damn that's a name i haven't seen in a long time. I miss my Ispin :(

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty disappointing to see Mihoyo so shamelessly ripping off BOTW. The people who work here seems like decent folks and Honkai impact 3rd didn't rip off anything as far as I'm aware. I think they can do better than that.
Oh Honkai Impact 3rd ripped off a ton of stuff alright, to the point where the game has an identity crisis because there's almost nothing actually original in the game

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
if this game doesn't have weapon degradation, then to me, it is already an improvement and pushes the medium forward.

which platforms is this going to be on? is there a western release planned?

i'm interested

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
I can see me enjoying this one, especially if the later dungeons get more interesting, would be quite hilarous if they manage to pull it off.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Botw isn't the first one to do any of these things. Why does Botw get credit.
They were the first to interweave many of those together and execute them extremely well. No one has done that before. Like why does Blizzard get credit for WoW/WC/SC when all those ideas were done before? Because they did it so much better than anyone else.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
This from the Honkai Impact devs? I didn't play it but it was actually an interesting looking action rpg looking game but it was on mobile.

It's a shameless ripoff but BOTW should influence more games.

This is taking a base game and adding more to it. It's kinda funny how I want to see what they do with it. Also Granblue Re:Link like combat. Excited to get on my hands on that Granblue game. Sure rip off that one as well.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy isn't the first game to include
- gravity based gameplay
- OR planetoid platforming
- OR aiming a floating pointer
- OR shooting mechanics
- OR orchestrated music
- OR dynamic music shifting
- OR one-off gimmick levels
- OR perspective-shifting from 3d to 2d during gameplay
- OR triple jumps and wall kicks
- OR 120 stars
- OR Super Mario

X platformer developer over here is pointing to Galaxy as the inspiration for their game's space-themed planetoid gameplay, dynamic music implementation, triple jump/wall kick movement options, gravity mechanics, and mustached main character.
Forum user notes the stark similarity to Galaxy, reflected later by the developer's own statement on the matter, noted above.

And so my question is this...why does Galaxy get credit? And not Sonic Adventure, Ratchet and Clank, Yoshi's Island, Red Steel, Banjo Kazooie, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Clash at Demonhead, Battletoads, Klonoa, Crash Bandicoot, or even Super Mario Sunshine? Galaxy wasn't the first game in which any of these individual features or ideas were invented, after all.

Last edited:

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Since making games on BOTW scale takes time we are only going to see more and more game like BOTW.

BOTW is the new PubG

PubG was the new Dark Souls

Dark Souls was the new World of Warcraft

World of Warcraft was the new Half Life 2

Half Life 2 was the new Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy VII was the new Doom

Doom was the new Mario Brothers

Games industry is highly influenced by certain games for better or for worse.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between doing something first and popularizing something first. Arguably the second is just as important as the first, if not moreso.

Super Mario Bros was not the first platformer, but it certainly popularized the genre by "doing it well."

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm a little torn on this one. I can see why it's being called shameless - there are a lot of similarities in the way the fields and grass are rendered, and the UI and even the enemy animations all look very similar to BotW. Watching the actual gameplay though, they don't look close to each other at all. They do "feel" like two separate games. The characters look great and they look like they are fun to play. I do want to give it a try.

Chinese developers have a history of stealing assets and blatantly cloning games and giving them new skins and titles. This time, though, it's a higher profile thing because they are targeting a worldwide market and are coming to the big consoles instead of sticking to China and mobile. This one feels like they are aware of that and like they are trying to establish a cool new IP, but speaks of a fledgling development team that can't yet do it all in house and is still resorting to borrowing a little too much from their inspiration. I think we'll see less of this as Chinese game development picks up steam, but for now I still welcome the game despite it's lack of truly original content.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iri
I'm a little torn on this one. I can see why it's being called shameless - there are a lot of similarities in the way the fields and grass are rendered, and the UI and even the enemy animations all look very similar to BotW. Watching the actual gameplay though, they don't look close to each other at all. They do "feel" like two separate games. The characters look great and they look like they are fun to play. I do want to give it a try.

Chinese developers have a history of stealing assets and blatantly cloning games and giving them new skins and titles. This time, though, it's a higher profile thing because they are targeting a worldwide market and are coming to the big consoles instead of sticking to China and mobile. This one feels like they are aware of that and like they are trying to establish a cool new IP, but speaks of a fledgling development team that can't yet do it all in house and is still resorting to borrowing a little too much from their inspiration. I think we'll see less of this as Chinese game development picks up steam, but for now I still welcome the game despite it's lack of truly original content.
Ironically Mihoyo's games have been victim of the old Chinese plagiarism...

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
It's nothing like BotW, aside from the graphics. The gameplay mechanics in Genshin are horrible implemented.
I was going to bring this up. Any trailer can sell you on games like this but when you get them, especially games by mobile devs the mechanics will always tend to be half baked.

I'm not saying no game can do the same things that BOTW did, but literally just putting waifus and button mashing combat into BOTW is still a shit thing to do. Even if it has other mechanics that are good or bad, on the surface it is definitely something that would confuse an average or random consumer, or a parent. Which is what games like these bank on and why copy cats make money in the first place.

All the people saying the combat looks better are probably the same people who gripe about weapon durability. Oh well I should have known with the recent resurfacing of the game due to articles and stuff about people flipping off Sony that this game would pop up again. Time to ignore thread.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to bring this up. Any trailer can sell you on games like this but when you get them, especially games by mobile devs the mechanics will always tend to be half baked.

I'm not saying no game can do the same things that BOTW did, but literally just putting waifus and button mashing combat into BOTW is still a shit thing to do. Even if it has other mechanics that are good or bad, on the surface it is definitely something that would confuse an average or random consumer, or a parent. Which is what games like these bank on and why copy cats make money in the first place.

All the people saying the combat looks better are probably the same people who gripe about weapon durability. Oh well I should have known with the recent resurfacing of the game due to articles and stuff about people flipping off Sony that this game would pop up again. Time to ignore thread.
Judging from their last game Honkai Impact 3, while that game did rip-off a Lot of mechanics from Bayonetta, it at least puts a unique twist on them since they're now put in a context of a tag game especially with how important perfect dodging (and the unique effects that proc on a perfect dodge, not just Witch Time but also things like AOEs with status effects, high damage attack followups, assist summons and etc) is to a lot of team's rotation. The problem that game had was not just only that they did a Lot of amateur action dev mistakes (like overvaluing execution or making boss characters thats sold as a regular character OP on "purpose"), it was also saddled with gacha community mindsets that abhor balance changes even when the game desperately needs them but then endlessly complain that X character is OP. In general I always felt like the game was stuck in a bizzare middle-ground; its too involved for the gacha playing people who uses auto-resolve in their games to enjoy, but the kind of people who'll love action games would not touch it because its a gacha game.

Now that Genshin Impact is not a gacha game, I hope that the game can grow a community that would actually want the devs to improve their game, because it looks like they're trying to evolve the framework they got in Honkai Impact 3 into something with its own identity

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Now that Genshin Impact is not a gacha game, I hope that the game can grow a community that would actually want the devs to improve their game, because it looks like they're trying to evolve the framework they got in Honkai Impact 3 into something with its own identity
Its "own identity" is odd considering it's basically BOTW with anime lol. And I say that as a lover of anime.

Do we know it's not Gacha? I was under the impression there'd still be gacha? And as an avid hater and despiser of said game design mentality I cringe at any further modernization or mainstream influence Gacha and mobile gaming has on the rest of the industry.

I believe those systems are a blight on the artform, so knowing there isn't any is nice, but I have a hard time believing weapons and the like won't be locked behind it in some way. Happy to be wrong though.

Have a hard time believing they're just going to put out a big open world multiplayer game without a hardcore monetization method.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its "own identity" is odd considering it's basically BOTW with anime lol. And I say that as a lover of anime.

Do we know it's not Gacha? I was under the impression there'd still be gacha? And as an avid hater and despiser of said game design mentality I cringe at any further modernization or mainstream influence Gacha and mobile gaming has on the rest of the industry.

I believe those systems are a blight on the artform, so knowing there isn't any is nice, but I have a hard time believing weapons and the like won't be locked behind it in some way. Happy to be wrong though.

Have a hard time believing they're just going to put out a big open world multiplayer game without a hardcore monetization method.
this might sound hypocritical but it's actually BOTW: Tag Tournament bc the game expects you to switch around between 4 chars constantly, which does make the combat play different (bc only 1 char has a bow), tho on the exact specifics I can't tell bc i'm not invited to the closed beta

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for bringing it to my attention it looks great and actually more fun