• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
Pokémon designs are incredibly varied in their shapes sizes and inspirations and as a fan of the series, I'm always interested to learn about the overall process of creating Pokémon. What does Game Freak look for in a Pokémon? How do they decide where to put them? What ideas inspired them? What happens to the Pokémon designs that were rejected? I find that learning the answers to such questions only increases my appreciation of the series. It may not answer every question we could have, but we can gain quite a bit of insight of the process through Game Freak's interviews. So I would like to share all of the information I could find on the topic and hopefully help a few of you, who may have had a passing curiosity of the process, to understand a bit of Game Freak's mentality and approach to designs. Maybe you'll be like me and find yourself appreciating Pokémon more, I'd like to think so anyway.

So starting off, there is a misconception that appears every now and then, and that is the assumption that Ken Sugimori personally designed all of the original 151 Pokémon. While it is true that all characters and Pokémon are drawn in his art style, he did not design all 151 of the Kanto Pokémon, it was a team of under ten people including Sugimori. Game Freak uses a rotating group of people of varying number each generation of Pokémon, some may be veterans and some maybe first-timers, but they all come up with designs and submit them to be approved. The Iwata Asks for Pokémon Black and White delves into this a bit more.

Iwata Asks: Pokémon Black and White
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/ds/pokemon-black-white/0/1

Iwata
I see. While Masuda-san was settling on this new setting, Sugimori-san, you needed everyone to eventually say, "This is Pokémon." What was in your head as you tried to move forward?

Sugimori
Actually, this is the first time since the first Pokémon games, Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green Versions, that we created the entire Pokémon lineup from scratch.

Iwata
Right, it is. Whenever there's been a new generation up to this point, you've adopted Pokémon from the previous one and added in some new ones.

Sugimori
But simply by creating a new Pokémon, you have to create a whole new kind of ecosystem.

Iwata
You don't just think up a new Pokémon, you need to create a world with the right balance.

Sugimori
And when you create a new ecosystem, types of Pokémon that we've seen before pop up. Quite often you find yourself thinking things like, "We need a Pokémon like a rat, but we do that every time." When it gets like that, we think as hard as we can so people won't say, "That looks like one we saw before," or "That's not a Pokémon!"

Iwata
The Pokémon designers actually go to zoos and observe real animals to stock up ideas, don't they?

Sugimori
Yeah. If there isn't something underlying it, it doesn't feel real at all. We established a base from what we picked up at zoos and aquariums, and then challenged ourselves in our design work to see how creative we could be and how much we could surprise the fans.

Iwata
I suppose you exaggerate and deform your subject matter, but the Pokémon are born of actually going out to zoos and aquariums and observing something to serve as a basis, rather than just holing up in your room and drawing.

Sugimori
That's right. Otherwise, they wouldn't seem grounded. I want to avoid Pokémon that seem impossible or that have no explanation in answer to the question "How is this put together?"

Iwata
About how many people worked on the designs of the new Pokémon?

Sugimori
There were 17 people this time. From the beginning, all the graphic designers have been involved on the Pokémon games.

Iwata
Has that been true every time?

Sugimori
Yes. Each time, I say, "Everyone must join the team, throw out some ideas, make some designs and, at least, design one Pokémon. We've got quite a few people, including some veterans, and this time there were some first-timers.

Iwata
There weren't 17 people when you made Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green Versions, were there?

Sugimori
No. Maybe just under ten.

Iwata
I feel like it must have become more difficult since then to design Pokémon that can enter into a single ecosystem and make it feel natural. And I suppose there are lots of restrictions.

Sugimori
Yes, there are. Nonetheless, newcomers tend to come up with interesting ideas.

Iwata
Oh, you feel like newcomers are able to come up with new ideas because they aren't fettered by past designs?

Sugimori
Yeah. But, including the veterans, we've got the collective wisdom of a variety of designers, so we're able to generate a variety of Pokémon. It's a large staff, and everyone suggests something they're particularly good at or that they especially like, and then I…how can I put this…

Iwata
You pass judgment as to whether it's fit for entering into the pantheon of Pokémon?

Sugimura
Yeah, yeah. I pass judgment, and then when I illustrate it, it becomes a Pokémon.

Iwata
Sugimori-san, you have drawn each one at least once?

Sugimori
I draw all the final, official illustrations. Then, just before we create the pixel art, I draw the Pokémon from various perspectives. If there are differences in the illustrations up to that point, that's when I unify them.

Iwata
That process may be one reason why the Pokémon always possess that distinct Pokémon vibe.

Masuda
I think so. They all hang together visually.

Iwata
It's like you're a kind of filter through which everyone's ideas pass and are Pokémon-ized.

Sugimori
I suppose so. And because I serve as a filter, I can tell the staff to feel free to test the bounds of what the Pokémon are like. Earlier, I said that the younger staff members are good at coming up with interesting ideas, but some of them have grown up with Pokémon, so…

Iwata
I suppose people who have always loved Pokémon, who wanted to have something to do with them and then started working for Game Freak, will at first come up with Pokémon designs like ones they've seen before.

Sugimori
Yeah. So I tell them that they can test the bounds of what a Pokémon is a little more.

Iwata
Masuda-san, what do you think as you watch the process of creating new Pokémon take place and what kinds of requests do you make?

Masuda
I occupy a meeting room and put up their pictures in order. Then as I'm looking at them all lined up, during the latter half of development, I may get the feeling that the color balance isn't quite right.

Iwata
That's how you look at the overall balance?

Masuda
I look at them all and think things like, "This area has a little too much of such-and-such a color," or "This one's cute, but is that the right color for it?" But for each one of the Pokémon I don't say anything. I leave that to Sugimori-san.

So each gen a group of people with various experiences with Pokémon, some even long time fans, with various likes, dislikes, skills and frames of reference all contribute to making Pokémon. They are always thinking about what kind of ecosystem they want and how to balance out the kind of Pokémon found there. By going to zoos and aquariums and using real life as a base, Game Freak challenges themselves to be creative and surprise fans. As long as it is approved and drawn by Sugimori, it becomes a Pokémon. Which is why Sugimori can afford to encourage the designers to test the bounds of what a Pokémon can be. Since there were both veteran designers and Pokémon fans in the group, they may have had limited ideas of what a Pokémon can be, and challenging those ideas allow Pokémon to be as varied as they are.

We can get a few more details from some of James Turner's tweets:

Bruxish.jpg

So when a design concept is submitted and approved, it must then be drawn in greater detail as a reference sheet, this is probably what Sugimori meant when he said he would draw them in various perspectives and unify the designs, he would probably use the reference of the designers before drawing the final artwork. Also, while the designers are to come up with the Pokémon themselves, they are sometimes told to design with a purpose in mind. As James Turner said, Poipole was briefed to him by the planners, and he answers a fan question, he explains that while he came up with the design and concept, it was already decided that the Pokémon was going to be a Poison type Ultra Beast. James also talks a bit about his work on Black and White in a interview after their release in Japan:

(It's in Japanese, but I'll leave the link in case some are interested.) https://web.archive.org/web/20130115083652/http://www.gamefreak.co.jp/blog/staff/?p=204

Unfortunately it's not translated as far as I know, and I hesitate to share too much with Google Translate since it's not very accurate most of the time. I only bring it up because even with Google Translate there is another example of being requested certain Pokémon. James explains that since he joined the designers a little later, he wasn't able to submit his own Pokémon ideas like most graphic designers and was asked to fill in the missing types. He gave the Vanillite line as an example, saying he was asked for an "Ice-type Pokémon that produces cold".

Near the release of Pokémon X and Y, Gamasutra had an interview with Hironobu Yoshida who also spoke about the design process. Yoshida also mentions he is in charge of the set-up sheets and making final adjustments to Pokémon.

Gamasutra article with Yoshida:
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...born_Designing_the_series_iconic_monsters.php

"Since there are 20 of us and we're working all on our own ideas, we want to make sure we're not overlapping ideas. At Game Freak, we have an internal server where we can upload our designs and share them with everyone else on the team. This allows us to see what everyone else is working on and get ideas from each other," Yoshida says.

Getting a monster selected for the final roster, however, is not simple.

"It's very difficult work every time. There are probably five to 10 times the number of ideas that are rejected as the ones that make it into the final design, so it's a very difficult process," Yoshida says.

The studio has a committee of five people who decide which designs will go into the game -- and which do not make the cut. "And they also will leave feedback on all of the designs, even the ones that are rejected, to say why they got rejected or why they didn't choose a certain one. What that lets us do is improve for the future, so we can use that knowledge for the next series of titles," Yoshida says.
"Really one of the good things about the company is that it's really open for discussion," he adds. "We can talk with each other until both parties come to an agreement, I think."

As mentioned before, Pokémon are submitted to be approved, by, what we now know, a committee of five people, which I'd imagine probably includes Sugimori. It seems Game Freak goes through a large amount of communication when creating Pokémon, as Yoshida stated, being able to share their designs with the team can give others ideas and prevent an overlap of ideas. It could have been assumed that there were a good amount of rejected Pokémon, if any of you have seen the beta sprites of Red and Green or the ROM demo of Gold and Silver, then you know this, but 5 to 10 times the included is more than I would've guessed. Still, the communication of all parties involved, even down to giving feedback to 5 to 10 times of Pokémon designs is another important part of the process.

Before the release of Sun and Moon, the director, Shigeru Ohmori also talked a bit about designing Pokémon. He mentioned that they come up with many ideas, some that aren't really possible to realize, but they are still shared and eventually, they narrow down the ideas that they find interesting to implement and simplify them so they can work as a Pokémon. I think this might also be where the planners find certain types of Pokémon to request. Ohmori also stated that besides animals, the region the Pokémon are in or the locations in where they are found as well as certain game mechanics or type combinations may inspire designs in a Pokémon. So some designers will think about where the Pokémon will be found, such as in a cave of near water and will come up with an idea based on that, while others think about the region itself and what Pokémon may suit it, basically they think about the ecosystem like Sugimori said in the Iwata Asks. What I find the most interesting is designing based of mechanics or battle system, because this gives new insight on past Pokémon with unusual abilities. Since designers sometimes get requests on Pokémon by planners, there could have been times where they wanted a Pokémon to use a certain mechanic. For example, if the move Sketch was created first, then a designer would create Smeargle by thinking "what kind of Pokémon could show this off?" or with the introduction of Abilities, a planner could ask for something that changes in weather (Castform) or something that looks lazy (Slakoth). Anyway, because they have so many ideas, not all will make it, but Game Freak still holds on to them and tries to find ways to make them work, which goes back to the feedback rejected designs would receive.

Digital Spy article with Ohmori:
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/po...heres-how-the-pokemon-company-design-pokemon/

"We don't really throw away our ideas that we've had, everything is valuable. So rather than say, 'Well, OK, this won't go into the game', we say, 'Well, what can we do to make this part of the game?'

"We tweak ideas and make them fit as best we can into the game we're designing and go from there. That's how we make things work."

Another instance of Game Freak sharing their design process is Junichi Masuda's interview with Gameinformer. Masuda explains that while the graphic designers always finalize the look, they are not the only ones who come up with designs and those ideas could come from places like gameplay, visuals, and story. Masuda also states that they always pay attention to why a Pokémon exists, how does it live, what does it eat and to treat it like a living creature, which again goes back to the ecosystem. Any design philosophy changes is probably a result of the hardware allowing them to do new things, as Masuda points out, it was difficult to draw circles in the past (because they were developing for the Gameboy, Pokémon had to be drawn as pixels first), but now they are able to create a greater variety of facial expressions and designs.

Gameinformer article with Masuda:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...how-game-freak-designs-pokemon-creatures.aspx

"Once you're in the middle of creating it and someone were to say, 'No!, that's not a Pokémon,' and the design process gets killed? That doesn't really happen that much," Masuda says. "Usually, instead, maybe the person who is directing the game might say it won't work in its current form, but maybe if you did this and adding ideas onto it might make it work better." For this reason, ideas for new Pokémon rarely get thrown away.

Ideas for Pokémon don't really get thrown away if they don't fit in one game, they can always come back, because Game Freak values new ideas. Going back to the feedback on rejected designs Yoshida mentioned, since Masuda brought up that the director of the game can make suggestions, it is possible that the committee that judges the designs would include the director of that game as well as Sugimori if not just one of them.

Here Masuda brings up a particular reason a Pokémon might get rejected and the thought process in regards to how it evolves. While Game Freak has always tested what a Pokémon can be, it is still important for them to understand how they change and why.

"One thing that happens a lot – well, not a lot – but happens sometimes, is that you start out with a cat, and when it evolves one easy idea is to say, 'Okay, now there's more heads'," Masuda says, going to the whiteboard behind him to illustrate his point. "We always want to make sure we think, 'Why does that happen?' And when it evolves why does it have three heads? So that's just something we're always trying to think of – what's the reason for what changes and how it looks?" After hastily drawing the three-headed cat used to illustrate his point, Masuda laughs saying, "Even if I said I really wanted to make this, I would probably get shot down."

There is a little bit about the design of Meltan in Gamespot's Let's Go interview, basically Masuda gave directions on what he wanted and Nabana explains that they wanted to make a realistic looking object, but what I want to highlight is the response to a question about Gorochu (Pikachu's scrapped final evolution).

Gamespot article on Let's Go with Masuda and Kensaku Nabana:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-lets-go-pikachu-eevee-update-pokemon-yellow-fo/1100-6462538/

One final question: any chance we see Pikachu's scrapped evolution, Gorochu, someday?

Masuda:
You're probably not going to see it. None of the Pokemon that we worked on, got to a point, and then discarded them have actually ever re-appeared yet, so I would say the chances are low. One of the reasons for that is that we always have this base criteria at Game Freak of being able to explain why a certain Pokemon is in the world or why it exists in that world, trying to make it feel believable within the fantasy. And usually the ones that get rejected are Pokemon that we weren't able to justify, I think. Usually there's a reason for why they weren't implemented, and as long as that reason still exists, they probably won't be put in the game.

We always say Pokemon isn't a "character game." It's not a game where it's just the characters, but it's a game that shows this world where these living creatures are existing in a space. That's kind of a slight nuance, but that's what we always try to go for at Game Freak. It's not good enough that they're just cute. (Laughs) They have to have something more to it.

Nabana: I've worked on Pokemon designs myself and it really is a very arduous, time consuming process. You've got to talk to a lot of people, a lot of back-and-forth and really be able to justify it before we get to a final design.

Like in the Game Informer interview, Masuda talks about justifying a Pokémon, I believe balance was also cited as a reason that Gorochu was cut in a different interview, but I may be mistaken. Now what I find to be interesting about this is what Masuda said about discarded designs never reappearing. Masuda himself explained that having the design process killed doesn't happen often, what usually happens is you get told how to improve certain ideas or it wouldn't work in it's current form. There was a beta Ruby and Sapphire design that looked like a cross between Blaziken and Latias.

200px-Latias_Blaziken.jpg

So it does seem like Game Freak is fine revisiting ideas, so why say they don't reappear? This is speculation, but I think it can be explained; whenever a design is rejected at first then reworked into something else that does get approved, in Game Freak's, or at least Masuda's eyes, they're not the same Pokémon. It would give some insight into the perception of beta designs like the balloon looking Pokémon, Barunda, that didn't make it in Red and Green, but in Gen 4 we got a balloon Pokémon Drifloon, they seem to be based on the same idea, but even if Drifloon is a redone Barunda, they are not the same, so Barunda didn't reappear and the same applies to the Blaziken and Latias mix. But again, that's just speculation.

Speaking of Drifloon, before the release of Diamond and Pearl, Nintendo Power did an interview with Game Freak about the development of the game.

Nintendo Power interview with Masuda, Sugimori, Ohmori, and Takao Unno
https://imgur.com/a/kkZqB#r4NKfxm

NP: How does the process of designing new Pokémon work?
Sugimori: I do feel that I always want to show new Pokémon that people have never seen before. To do that, I think of ways that I can surprise the players. That doesn't mean anything goes as long as the idea's new, but I design the new Pokémon so the player can believe that these are different than previous Pokémon , but are still Pokémon. Even if people say these don't look like Pokémon at first, they're designed so that they grow on you. As you look at it, it begins to look more like a Pokémon. They're designed intentionally to look a little awkward at first.

Unno: I have a collection of these that I find interesting in everyday life that I use as inspirations and as these ideas get accumulated, there's a trigger when all these things are let loose, where these are brought to life as characters. In this case the trigger was when I wondered what kinds of Pokémon would be living in the land of Sinnoh. That's how I design my characters. I think of the balance so these new designs could be welcomed with new surprises. When I design them, rather than having players say, "Oh, it's another one of these Pokémon ," I want them to say, "I didn't expect they would think of this!" I think that would be better appreciated, and it's more fun for me as I'm designing them.

Masuda: In Diamond and Pearl, the strongest Pokémon in each of the classes were designed first, and then the overall balance of the Pokémon was set so the planning team were the ones that presented the new Pokémon designs.

Unno: Right, Diamond and Pearl heavily emphasizes the strategic balance in gameplay.

Masuda: Weren't about half of the new Pokémon presented by the planning team?

Unno: I think so... it was about that much.

Masuda: The planning team presented ideas, and suggested certain kinds of Pokémon that were on their minds, saying things like, "What about this Pokémon ?" There's also a sea-slug Pokémon that we weren't able to put in Ruby and Sapphire that we were able to put in this game... those elements keep it fun and interesting. There were times that the designs and characteristics were defined after talking things over, like, "How about a fun new Pokémon like this, based off of that idea?" Dialga and Palkia were created in this manner.

Unno: The suggestions given to us by the planning team became a great stockpile of ideas, and we were able to come up with all kinds of designs. When someone suggested that a certain Pokémon should be added to maintain the strategic balance , I was able to come up with a completely new Pokémon design although I was in the middle of working on another Pokémon .

Masuda: Coming up with new Pokémon takes a lot of time and it's very hard work.

NP: How do you decide how many new Pokémon to make?
Masuda: We didn't have a set number in the beginning. We did, however, have a rough idea that we wanted to make it about this much. We first set the number of Pokémon that can evolve to about half compared to past Pokémon games, and as we continued making the game, keeping the balance in mind, we ended up with the number of Pokémon that we have in the finished product. The number is a result of looking for the perfect balance of great gameplay.

NP: How do you decide which Pokémon will receive new Evolutions? Will we ever see a fourth Pokémon evolution?
Sugimori: The Pokémon that evolve are decided by the ones that look like they would evolve, or having them evolve will make the gameplay more enjoyable. The Evolution is there to power up the not-so-strong Pokémon and the ones that have the potential to become stronger, to make them more powerful.

Masuda: Their looks and their strength, Pokémon that seem to have room for an Evolution, and maybe size. With Evolutions, the planning team keeps the balance on them.

Unno: I've never thought of their Evolutions from the design, but there are suggestions during the planning stages, such as "It'd be fun if this Pokémon evolved like this."

Ohmori: I think the main thing is looking at it from the overall balance, you look at the design and add new Pokémon by looking at what kind of Pokémon need to be added, and how it would make things better if certain Pokémon were in a certain class. There's also looking at the Pokémon to see which ones would be the most interesting if they evolved. I thought about putting in the fun factor by surprising people by making some Pokémon evolve that the players wouldn't expect to.

Sugimori: A fourth Evolution... hmm, I wonder?

Masuda: I'm not really thinking about it.

Sugimori: If a fourth Evolution is going to make things more interesting, that would be a possibility.

Masuda: Right now I think it's great how some Pokémon evolve to different forms, so I'm not really thinking about it.

There is quite a bit of information here, we get to learn about how Sugimori and Unno themselves like to design Pokémon, Masuda mentioning how Shellos couldn't fit in Hoenn, but made it in Sinnoh, Dialga and Palkia being designed after sharing ideas with each other, how they decide on the number and what Pokémon to evolve, with Ohmori seemingly responsible for some unexpected cross-gen Evolutions. The main takeaway, I feel, is how much balance and gameplay can influence Pokémon. In Diamond and Pearl's case, about half the Pokémon were suggested by planners and included for strategic balance to the point where the strongest Pokémon in each type (I assume that's what they mean by "class") were design first. Since Diamond and Pearl are the games that introduced the Physical/Special split, the planning team might have had to think what moves this changes, exactly how all the past Pokémon will be played, which of the Pokémon would the split benefit the most, and how will the player be approaching the game now, so it makes sense that the planners would have a lot of ideas. Not only that, it also extends to deciding on Evolutions. What kind of Pokémon would evolve? How many will evolve? What does it evolving mean for balance? Just the act of thinking about the mechanics of a game lends itself to Pokémon designs.

The last one I'd like to share is this translated interview with Sugimori that comes from the Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Essential Setting Information book:
https://www.siliconera.com/2018/07/...e-pokmon-by-adding-uncool-or-uncute-features/

Ken Sugimori, Pokémon series designer: The technique I often use when finishing up designs for Pokémon is to "keep the balance." I might try adding something uncool to a Pokémon that is too cool, or I might add something cheerful to a Pokémon that is too serious. I spoke about making friendly designs earlier, but what I actually do is take something cool and make it less cool. [laughs]

Huh? But Lucario and Luxray look very cool.

Ken Sugimori
: But if you were to make Luxray's head smaller and eyes sharper, it would look cooler. "Making it cooler" is an adjustment I wouldn't dare to do.

That is certainly a unique sensitivity of yours, Sugimori-san.

Ken Sugimori
: I often tell members in charge of design to "take away from designs that are too cool," but that is probably a sentiment that is difficult to grasp. What's cool and what's not is all subjective in the end. To put it extremely, my job is to get something that would look cooler if it didn't have this or that on it, then put it in on purpose. [laughs] Basically, if it looks too cool then it takes away from what makes it memorable for the players.

So you're saying that it becomes kind of like a pretty landscape painting.

Ken Sugimori
: Exactly. It simply ends at "that's cool." After all, as Pokémon that are being sent out to the world, we want them to always remain memorable; however, I feel that in order to do so you have to add a touch to it. For example, look at Oshawott's cheeks. It has three freckles, and if you take them away Oshawott becomes cuter. However, taking them away makes its face less memorable. Actually, a lot of people told me "I want you to get rid of the freckles," but I strongly insisted "It is better to have them." Going by my standards, this is the correct way to design Pokémon.

Based on the Iwata Asks and the Nintendo Power interview, Sugimori seems to be incredibly conscious of the possibility that a Pokémon may not look like a Pokémon to some people, but he still wants to surprise people and test the bounds of what a Pokémon can be even encouraging others to do the same. In the Nintendo Power interview Sugimori states that he designs Pokémon to look awkward on purpose, and doing so with the intention of having it grow on a person, so in the end, that Pokémon will look like a Pokémon to them. This interview for the Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon book, shows what goes on in Sugimori's head as he continues to design Pokémon that way. Keeping a balance between "cool" and "cute", "serious" and "cheerful" must be what Sugimori believes makes a Pokémon, a Pokémon. As he said though, what is cool or not is subjective, but Sugimori seems to value "imperfections" in Pokémon, enough to even strongly insist that Oshawott keeps its freckles (a decision I support, I like the freckles), all for the purpose of making a Pokémon more memorable than it might have been otherwise. I can't help but really appreciate how Sugimori approaches Pokémon designs, I have never thought to myself "that doesn't look like a Pokémon", but I have had certain ones grow on me as time passes and I believe that to be part of Pokémon's charm. Sugimori's designing Pokémon to be awkward at first and his balancing touch-ups are probably part of what allows that to happen.

Throughout all the interviews, it is clear the incredible amount of time and effort Game Freak puts to making Pokémon. They always have a rotating staff of designers composed of veterans and newcomers, all communicating with each other and sharing ideas to submit to a committee to be approved, but not just them, planners can request certain designs based around things like story, mechanics, and gameplay balance. Game Freak has to consider how a Pokémon fits in the region and how it lives, and even if it doesn't work, the ideas are rarely thrown out and can be reworked based on feedback for the future. While doing this, Game Freak continues to challenge their designers to surprise players and test the bounds of what makes a Pokémon, as long as they are drawn by Sugimori, the design will become Pokémon and is unified with the others. This long and thorough process is not only how Game Freak manages to make their Pokémon feel different from one another, but also make entire regions feel different. If Pokémon are designed with the ecosystem in mind, then it naturally gives each region its own distinct feel. Yet, even with all these different designs made by different people with different likes and dislikes, ideas, skills, and backgrounds, they all still give the vibe of Pokémon, at least to me. Anyway, this is all I was able to find about how Game Freak designs their Pokémon, if you didn't know many details about this, I hope it was interesting for you, maybe it even made you appreciate the Pokémon designs we have more. Honestly, I'm having a harder time now even imagining a day when Game Freak actually runs out of ideas. Also if you happen to find something interesting about the process or an interview that I might have missed, feel free to share it, if possible, I'd like this thread to be a compilation of interviews about designing Pokémon.

Last edited:

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Amazing topic, thank you so much.

I love looking at reference sheets, I wish Game Freaks would release them in one form or another.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting so Sugimori is a filter for designs even when he doesn't create them. Never knew that.

I wish there was a list of who designed each Pokemon.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: Inflammatory drive-by posting, attempted thread derailment.
Are you sure it's not actually like this?

How-to-Design-a-Pokemon_o_91291.webp

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ken Sugimori: Exactly. It simply ends at "that's cool." After all, as Pokémon that are being sent out to the world, we want them to always remain memorable; however, I feel that in order to do so you have to add a touch to it. For example, look at Oshawott's cheeks. It has three freckles, and if you take them away Oshawott becomes cuter. However, taking them away makes its face less memorable. Actually, a lot of people told me "I want you to get rid of the freckles," but I strongly insisted "It is better to have them." Going by my standards, this is the correct way to design Pokémon.

Sugimori's philosophy is exactly why you can tell most fakemon's from a mile away. Fanartists don't have that limiter that keeps their designs from veering too off from that "Pokemon" look.

A lot of times you see a fangame with a large pokedex of fakemons and all of them are designed without thought of how they would fit in their world.

Last edited:

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
thanks for the write up OP. one day it would be nice if GF put out a list on who designed which pokemon, i would really like to know who designed some of my favourites

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Whoever Hitoshi Ariga is absolutely killed it in gen 6. Pangoro, Mega Beedrill, Malamar, both fossil lines. All some of my favorite Pokemon ever.
Hitoshi Ariga worked on a bunch of megaman stuff from different manga to some official art, as you can tell by his design he is quite good

also like many other Pokemon designer he does work for the TCG as well

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
GameFreak is amazing. The amount of care, thought, love and creativity they put into their games is astounding.

Thanks OP for this very informative thread.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by Trolling
Ok now I see why all the designs after gen 2 are bad, because this guy was making them lol. Terrible and ugly and don't even look like true pokemon mold.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Ok now I see why all the designs after gen 2 are bad, because this guy was making them lol. Terrible and ugly and don't even look like true pokemon mold.
you talking about James Turner because he didn't start designing pokemon until gen 5 meaning there a 2 gen between when "designs started getting bad" and when he started

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a great write-up, thanks TriggerShy.
As for Sugimori's "intentionally designed to look a little awkward at first", I've definitely had multiple designs grow on me during the years, but I didn't know they were actively designed to be this way.

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Amazing OP! I love learning more about Game Freaks design process. I wish we had a complete list of who designed each Pokémon, i wonder how many of them got held back and revisited in later generations.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
I know I will get a lot of hate for saying this, but I still think Gen 1 have the best design. Simple, yet effective. I get the feeling that the latest gens get too much detailed and sometimes it looks too busy (like digimon).

Ok, throw rocks at me

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I think things started going downhill with Black and White. That was the emergence of Garbodor, Pringles man, two ice cream cones, etc. That's not to say earlier gens didn't have some terrible designs in 'em, but B&W's were really a low point. Gen 4 was fine, and gen 3 was pretty good.

EDIT: I don't seek to undermine OP's post, by the way. It's very informative, with a respectable amount of work clearly put into it. I think that in Pokémon design threads, however, there will always be that debate about whether or not there's been a decline (I think in a series as long running as Pokémon, some decline is inevitable), what designs are good or bad, that sort of thing.

Last edited:

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
There are some great designs in the newer generations. What generation was Tyrunt a part of?

tumblr_otu5l94FNs1uh3x51o1_250.gif

73c.gif

Because it dethroned Mew as my favorite Pokémon after 15 years.

Just look at it!

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I think things started going downhill with Black and White. That was the emergence of Garbodor, Pringles man, two ice cream cones, etc. That's not to say earlier gens didn't have some terrible designs in 'em, but B&W's were really a low point. Gen 4 was fine, and gen 3 was pretty good.

Was this copy/pasted from 2010?

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome thread TriggerShy , even as someone whose much more into competitive Pokemon than the designs, this is still really fascinating insight!

I'm not sure if this goes too far away from the point of your thread, but as far as I know, Gen 1's design process had some key differences (since it was the first game). As far as I know, Gamefreak from 1992, would start doing populairty polls instead of having 5 people act as judges, and unpopular Pokemon would be marked for "needs improvement" and such. Got that from here: https://helixchamber.com/2018/08/07/tajiri-manga/

I can't remember where I got this from (might have been one of those gameinformer interviews), but since the sprites were designed first for gen 1 and 2, that explains the wealth of prototype material. I wonder if there's more insights into the gen 2 design process. Just from reading articles about the index list (on the same site I just linked to heh), it seems like for obvious reasons, gen 1 had a pretty chaotic design cycle for Pokemon compared to later gens. But, we don't know much about how Pokemon were designed for gen 2 yet!

Jan 20, 2019
Great post, OP. I've been out of the loop the past few gens, so I've missed some of the newer designs that have been used, but this was still a great read. I'm still amazed that Game Freak has been able to continue to create so many Pokemon over the years, this is a thorough unpacking of that thought & design process.

Has there been a recent Pokemon gen that Era collectively agrees is "bad"?

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
If you have an interest in the design philosophy in Japan, I'd recommend researching the concepts of sekaikan ("world view", meaning building worlds that feel real/alive) and sonzaikan (similar concept for character design), which really are core principles in Japanese game design.
So I wouldn't say that what they describe is all that unique or new, but it's clear GF is very good at what they're doing at the very least.

I'll throw some more food for thoughts by saying that Sugimori's principles of making the designs flawed ties in with the wabi-sabi aesthetic, another very japanese concept which is loosely translated as the "beauty of imperfection".

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

EDIT: I don't seek to undermine OP's post, by the way. It's very informative, with a respectable amount of work clearly put into it. I think that in Pokémon design threads, however, there will always be that debate about whether or not there's been a decline (I think in a series as long running as Pokémon, some decline is inevitable), what designs are good or bad, that sort of thing.

I think many people would agree that Gen 6 and 7 had fantastic Pokemon designs in general. And the same argument can be made for Gen 1, like rocks with eyes, eggs with eyes, Pokeball with eyes, a pile of goo with eyes, seal named Seel, etc.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember where I got this from (might have been one of those gameinformer interviews), but since the sprites were designed first for gen 1 and 2, that explains the wealth of prototype material. I wonder if there's more insights into the gen 2 design process. Just from reading articles about the index list (on the same site I just linked to heh), it seems like for obvious reasons, gen 1 had a pretty chaotic design cycle for Pokemon compared to later gens. But, we don't know much about how Pokemon were designed for gen 2 yet!
Here's a very old article describing an interview that took place around Gen 2, mentioning things like Unown originally being planned as an alien but due to how it was drawn they shifted focus to making it like the alphabet.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I think many people would agree that Gen 6 and 7 had fantastic Pokemon designs in general. And the same argument can be made for Gen 1, like rocks with eyes, eggs with eyes, Pokeball with eyes, a pile of goo with eyes, seal named Seel, etc.
Yeah, the original 151 had some stinkers for sure. I only give it a pass because it was the initial gen, so some hiccups and missteps are understandable. Later on, when Pokémon became more of a global phenomenon, I think it made less sense to lean on the "glue two things together" design methods, for instance. I would expect a bit more scrutiny when considering which Pokémon should make it into the games.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I can't imagine how hard it must be to come up with new Pokemon, especially. The sheer number of ideas that have already been expended. It must be crazy difficult.