• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Will we ever be able to experience seamless internet connection in the near future where we don't have to worry about gaps, drops, and congestion? How long until then?

Is 5G going to fulfill this promise?

EDIT: To clarify, I mean 99%+ uptime.

Last edited:

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Probably never, because some asshole with a backhoe or truck is always going to cut or crash into something vital. That, and ISPs are always going to oversell as long as they are profit motivated.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My connection is currently dropping every few minutes, it sucks. Apparently it'll take a week to have someone out.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Probably never gonna happen.

Millimeter wave 5G is only practical in extremely dense environments so most people will not have access to it.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
probably not in our lifetimes, everything continues to get bigger on the internet and more people are going online every year putting further strain on the system

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting idea, but I think we're a ways off. People's usages are just going further and further up. We'll be wanting to stream 4k on our phones eventually so I think it'll be a while until companies actually have the infrastructure to provide this (at the profits they want..)

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
Have you even used the latest WiFi tech that's available out there?
If you have, why would you expect a wide area wireless network to be any better?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
AT&T gigapower was like that for me for the first 3 years in a new neighborhood. As more houses were built and apartments nearby it has decayed from 950 Mbps up and down to 200 to 600 down and 50-200 up.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Growing up in the 90s with 14.4 baud dialup, and having 450mbps service today, my internet experience is as close to "Seamless" as I ever would have projected 25 years ago. Most service issues I run into are with the services I consume, not the connection from me... E.g., Xbox Live going down or JackBox Party Pack freezing on a busy Friday night.

Will it ever be 100% connectivity, high speed, no interruptions, ever? No, 100% uptime is not possible. Even 99.9% uptime still means you're disconnected for 3.5 days a year, which is enough for many people to call and demand a rebate from the cable company. Still, even with really high deliverability rates... 99.999%, etc., there will still be times when something goes down. I think back on 9/11/2001, when from like 1995 to 9/10/2001, nobody had ever experience cell tower outages, maybe you'd lose service inside a building or something, or maybe leaving a sports event you couldn't call home because 75,000 fans just tried to make the same phone call from the same tower, but generally your cell service was never "down" because of volume aside from events like that, and once you were 10mi away from the stadium your call would go through. ...Then, on 9/11 till about 9/15, most people couldn't make any phone calls on their cell phones in or out of NYC and surrounding areas for a week.

I think we're always going to see situations like that. Amidst this coronavirus outbreak, in an area that's been on fuctional lockdown for about 3 weeks now, I think what's most surprising to me isn't that services have gone down, but that I really haven't experienced any major outages. My internet has been stable, Netflix, Disney+, Xbox, Amazon, etc, have all been steady. MS Teams, Hangouts, Duo, Zoom, etc., have all worked really well. My works' VPN has been good. Even smaller companies like Udemy are running solid. Shit I kinda all thought would go to shit if we suddenly all started using it at once, has surprisingly scaled really well.

If the internet ever had a true stress test, this is it. And while there have been articles and stories in some places of Netflix going to Standard Definition or YouTube only serving 720p so that emergency services get bandwidth priority, that's... really not a major compromise, and that's a success story. If I have to watch reruns of the Office, a 15 year old TV show, in 480p or 720p so that the hospitals in my city get priority access to life saving information, that's a compromise I'm willing to make. During WWII there were fucking breadlines, gas shortages, and widespread rationining. Today, my Mixer feed might be 10 seconds behind where I'd like it to be. Over the span of 3 weeks 75% of America, probably the largest consumer of bandwidth in the world (right?) switched to remote work, and everybody's lives shifted inside. That's not a slow transition of 5% a year over 15 years or something, it went from 5% fo 75% in a matter of days and weeks... and so far... the infrastructure has held up better than I would have ever imagined it would have a month ago.

But, outside of crisis, the low latency of 5G is probably going to be felt more on connected devices than it will be on your own phone, game console, computer, etc. On the individual consumer side we'll see that affect on the devices that come out because of how 5G enables that communication performance, but probably less so on ... say ... remotely streaming Halo 5 from XCloud to our phone (which will certainly benefit, but might not be *that* different than how we can experience it today with good traditional wifi + network; it'll be an incremental improvement there, faster response time, better stream quality, higher quality visual experience, etc, larger connection sessions, etc). The promise of 5G is going to be hundreds of new devices that can change your life in ways that you can't really imagine now. Sort of like how Wifi enabled the iPad to exist as it is today, but if you tried to imagine an iPAd even ~10 years earlier, in say 1998 ... when most internet users still dialed in through their phone line and only connected to the internet for 30minutes a day, and had to tie up a phone line to do it and could only do it from a hulking beast of a computer tether to their desk with a 11" enormous CRT monitor ..... It's tough to imagine the devices that can be enabled with ultra low latency 5G communication between connected devices. Imagine in 1996 saying to someone, "Can you turn on the lights? it's the Hue app on the ipad." The idea would be anathema, it's not science fiction or a marvel or something (you're *just* turning on lights," but the idea of using a ... super powerful mobile computer that's just a giant screen connected wirelessly to a home internet that is always on to do something so trivially mundane as to turn on or off all of the lights in your house, is a concept that would seem either pointless or impossible. Back in the 90s, the "future" of computing would be things like seamless video calls, like when technology gets better we're all going to be making video calls with grandma all day. And while that's the case right now in lockdown, for th emost part, most people communicate on short wave text messages, not long video calls. You're walking around with a super computer with the worlds most amazing digital camera, the size of a deck of cards in your pocket, and what you use it for most is to send 3-word messages to your friends. The way that technology changes your behavior is difficult to predict.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how autonomous vehicles will handle offline situations if we even have 75% of the gaps we do now on road trips. Surely they need internet because of traffic data?

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Probably never. If you need flawless, go for a hard wired connection, and even then, there will be area-wide outages, like with anything. Wireless is always going to have issues

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
What is flawless internet?

If that means no downtime ever then never because that is not true of any utility or any resource. My electricity is flawless 99.99% of the time, but every few years there is a storm or accident and we are without power for a few hours or a day or two.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In 2005 I was using a 2Mbps connection.
In 2020 they say 100Mbitps but I am getting the same shitty reception here.

Its just the nature of thing that an entire country main usage of Internet is social networking and watching videos which doesn't requires flawless Internet without drops. Gamers and I believe people in IT know the pain.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
There will always be 'capacity' and never ever ever be a time where we have infinite speed and infinite uptime. It's a cat and mouse. As speeds increase, the size of the files will follow suit. 4k, 8k, AR, VR are all going to increase as companies take advantage of the new capacity which in turns keeps the system operating at capacity

Nov 8, 2017
I haven't had any issues with my 200Mb/s Internet for the last decade. I always get the full speed of my connection unless the service I'm accessing isn't able to reach that (e.g. PSN downloads).

Regarding 5G: Is it expected to replace home Internet connections (cable/DSL)? I see a lot of talk about 5G, but using a mobile network for my regular home Internet is not something I have ever considered. Does 5G somehow solve the cost and capacity issue of existing mobile Internet connections?

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have fiber to my house so I feel lucky to already have that. Gigabit up and down

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Human technology is rarely flawless. Especially so in something like networking, where we will continually build new things to hook to the network, and need to send more data through it.

That said, I have gigabit internet in South Denver, and even with the shutdown I haven't seen a reduction in speed. It largely depends where you live, but the internet is pretty damn good for our needs right now.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
If I understand the OP correctly, I feel like many places has this already? I can't remember the last time I had to worry about my internet connection.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Why give reliability when you can sell it for lots of money? You can get 99.9% uptime today if you want to pay for a "business" connection.
For home internet? Never.

And yes, content will keep expanding to fill available bandwidth. Can't wait for that compressed 8k streaming!!!1

Skytylz

Oct 25, 2017
I just moved from a small city that had fiber installed city wide. Was really reliable for me. The base speed was 300 Mb and I just saw they increased base to 500 Mb. No data caps of course. Time Warner had gotten a lot better after they started offering this too. They were 50 or 100 Mb tops, but by the time i moved they were offering 300 Mb for like $45 a month.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Non-redundant hardware can never be perfectly reliable. It's why businesses pay big $$ for redundancy.