• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WHICH IS THE FURTHEST LEVEL YOU MADE IT TO IN BATTLETOADS NES?

• LEVEL 1 - RAGNAROK'S CANYON OR LEVEL 2 - WOOKIE HOLE OR LEVEL 3 - TURBO TUNNEL

Votes: 65 22.9%
  • LEVEL 4 - ARTIC CAVERNS OR LEVEL 5 - SURF CITY OR LEVEL 6 - KARNATH'S LAIR

Votes: 57 20.1%
  • LEVEL 7 - VOLKMIRE'S INFERNO OR LEVEL 8 - INTRUDER EXCLUDER

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • LEVEL 9 - TERRA TUBES OR LEVEL 10 - RAT RACE

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • LEVEL 11 - CLINGER WINGER OR LEVEL 12 - THE REVOLUTION

Votes: 23 8.1%
  • I HAVE BEATEN BATTLETOADS NES (WOW)

Votes: 51 18.0%
  • I HAVE NEVER PLAYED BATTLETOADS NES

Votes: 51 18.0%

• Total voters

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
When Rare Replay came out I decided to see if I could actually play through it legit all these years later, and the answer is no. Everyone bitches about the turbo tunnel, but Clinger Winger is secretly the real worst level in the game.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While I believe people have gotten farther by now, I refuse to believe anyone ever passed stage 3 legitimately as a child when this came out.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished without warps back in the day. That infinite 1up with the crow in the second level really helps.
While I believe people have gotten farther by now, I refuse to believe anyone ever passed stage 3 legitimately as a child when this came out.
Later stuff is so much worse than Turbo Tunnels. That rat race is crazy.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Volkmire's Inferno. Ugghh.
Volkmire's as well on NES.

I couldn't beat Rat Race on Rare Replay with the rewind function as well lol.

I did!

But I had tons of time. I never mastered it. It was a 25 percent chance most of the time.

I took the warp on most runs.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Never got past Turbo Tunnel in either the OG or Battlemaniacs, it's just a bullshit stage that demands far too much from the player when you reach the final set of pillars. That said, when I've cheated to get past it I usually tap out at Karnath's since you'll never have enough lives to learn the patterns in those stages without countless playthroughs. Battletoads is a series that I enjoy, but one that I just can't play legitimately.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I BEAT BATTLETOADS
BUT ONLY THE ARCADE ONE
PEOPLE THINK BATTLETOADS IS A BEAT EM UP
IT'S ACTUALLY A GIMMICK PLATFORMER LIKE DONKEY COUNTRY COUNTRY
EVEN ONE THAT'S A BEAT EM UP IS ONLY SORT OF A BEAT EM UP
IT EVEN TURNS INTO A RUN AND GUN AT THE END
DAVID WISE IS PRETTY FUCKING COOL THOUGH

lordmrw

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

I made it as far as the Terra Tubes back in the day. I spend the better part of the summer of 1994 working on this among other games. I won't say it was easy, just incredibly tedious. I was 14 at the time so I don't know if I'd say I was a child.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I've beaten it a bunch on NES and a lot more on emulators. It's really all about persistence and recognizing patterns, it's not actually that hard if you devote time to it.

Though I will say fuck the game breaking bug in Rat Race, that screwed me over more times than I can count.

Applesaucejaxon

Uncle actually worked at Nintendo
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Rat Race is where I would always reach my end. Couldn't beat it back when it came out, and I still can't beat it now.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Level 4, playing on an actual Nes (an AV Famicom) a bugfixed version of the game (the japanese release).

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Terra Tubes. I really wanted to get through it all, several times even but jeeze, upon trying I find it's just too much.

I still think it would have been an absolute classic, maybe even the best on the system, if some small tweaks were made to the difficulty. It's so darn ambitious. It just didn't quite come out right.

Oct 27, 2017
A bajillion times. It's basically a rhythm game. With a couple of horribly spaced jumps. Just memorize it, and also be twelve years old with hours to kill every night after finishing homework.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

Never been a kid with more time than common sense? If you bang your head enough times against it youre bound to get over it eventually through sheer dumb luck. Ive beaten pokemon in japanese before i even knew a single word in english, let alone another language (i still dont know a lick of japanese nor care to).

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I could never beat rat race and I honestly don't know how anybody could without save states.
Rat race too.
I was around 8, probably less, when I had that game (and TMNT, piece of cake comparing it with battletoads). And I struggled a lot to double tap to sprint and that mother f always kicked my ass.
That's the first level which requires skill and I failed miserably each single time. Precedent level are about execution, and I was patient and didn't have much game on the NES.

crossslide

Oct 27, 2017
I think I made it past the turbo tunnel, like ... twice? Not sure how far I made it after that, but the raft/river level looks familiar so probably that one?

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I HAVE NEVER PLAYED BATTLETOADS BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK YOUVE CONVINCED ME

MANY THANKS FOR CHILL VIBES

Solobbos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Got to the final boss on original NES, died, never booted the game again.

lordmrw

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Is this memorization or random placement of obstacles? He made it sound random from the "lets stay silent" thing. Incredible either way.

Memorization. Every obstacle is always in the same place, that's how you eventually finish the Turbo Tunnel. The reason they stayed silent is because whenever a new block/jump/enemy appears it makes a sound. If you know the level layout you can approximate where you are by sound.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beat it. That, Battletoads Double Dragon, every Double Dragon, and the Ninja Gaiden games, etc.

Beating difficult games when I was a kid was pretty normal. I go back to these now though, and I suck at them.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
No one will believe me but I used to play this game so much I could go through it in one life. I was obsessed as a kid lol.

OP
OP

learning

Jan 4, 2019
I can relate to everyone who played it a ton as a kid. I had so much patience and would lose over and over and over but I loved getting further. I think I would try to beat it again if they released it on the NES online app.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017

Turbo tunnel is like the populists' version of impossible. It WAS very hard, but not nearly as impossible as people have framed it. When I beat it I was what, 12, 13?

However, even with non-stop cheating, I was NEVER able to beat the fucking terra tubes. Feels like you need to have near perfect memorization and muscle memory to beat that stage.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
In the OG NES version, I made it to the turbo tunnel. I could not get the hang of that level when I was a kid. I finished the game as an adult.

As an aside, Battletoads / Double Dragon is my favorite game in either franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I got past turbo tunnel a few times but all I really remember from the game is splatting into the barriers over and over and over

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
I beat Battletoads on Rare Replay with infinite lives and copious amounts of rewind.

On the NES version I have only made it to the Arctic level. If I made it through Turbo Tunnel I had hardly any lives left.