• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 15, 2019
But why shouldn't we hope for Mario 64 with better graphics? If you want to play the Mairo 64 is 64 bits you can still play the OG version, but I'd love a Mario 64 in Odyssey graphics.
Not everyone owns an N64 or has the means to hook one up to a modern TV. Mario 64 is one of the most important games ever released and should be preserved as it originally released, not in some revisionist George Lucas Special Edition format.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone owns an N64 or has the means to hook one up to a modern TV. Mario 64 is one of the most important games ever released and should be preserved as it originally released, not in some revisionist George Lucas Special Edition format.

lol, you're a few years late to start making this argument. People love remakes and sticking with shitty old graphics and frame rates because "muh original release" isn't going to fly anywhere anymore.

In fact, you want them to improve the frame rate and resolution, which isn't how it was originally released either. Make up your mind.

May 15, 2019
lol, you're a few years late to start making this argument. People love remakes and sticking with shitty old graphics and frame rates because "muh original release" isn't going to fly anywhere anymore.
Framerates and resolutions should absolutely be upgraded in modern ports but that's it. And I have been arguing this for years, but people are incapable of viewing games as more than toys so they just think every aspect needs to be constantly "improved" with each rerelease. You wouldn't ask Pixar to re-render Toy Story with all new models but for some reason with video games it's fine or even preferable.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Honestly? I'd rather they do a full remake and try to dump some new ideas in there. It could be more interesting than just doing the same thing again, especially after seeing how creative they got with Odyssey.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I'm not a fan of Mario 64, probably becuase I played the DS version. I can't see a version of this game being funny, but would gladly be wrong.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Please don't add all the extra movement/fluff from the games after and stars you can get groundpounding random spots on the map or buying from shops.

Just make prettier graphics and tighter controls.

Izzwan

Oct 27, 2017
Malaysia
Mario 64 is likely my most replayed game ever, never played the DS version so if they bring over that content with updated visuals it'll be more than enough for me.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
All the way full remake and at 1080p 60fps, one the greatest games of all time should be taken care of as such and we're not taking about a random dev doing it it'd be Nintendo themselves plus for all of the people who complain about everything no matter what they could include a copy of the original with every remake or even just sell it seperate.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I want the texture quality to be so clean, that everyone playing the game will finally understand what L IS REAL 2041 means.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't think they need to change much about the mechanical or world. Higher poly models and higher resolution textures are enough for me.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Exact same game with Odyssey graphics. Have Mario control as he does in Odyssey too, minus the cap throw. (His movement is slightly stiffer in 64).

Matesamo

Nov 1, 2017
Rhode Island
Mario 64 was one of the most pivotal video games ever, a defining point in the video game industry and I would hope they give it the treatment it deserves. I want all the options; new graphics, widescreen, remastered music, etc. I want a 90 minute documentary about the game starting with the end of the SNES and going through the games release along with interviews with everyone involved. I want bonus features like the original commercials from around the world, a look at the press reaction when it released, some speedrunners doing their thing. I want a deluxe package with a soundtrack LP, steelbook case and artbook.

In short, I want it ALL!

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I'd love to see it truly remastered using 3D World/Odyssey assets, but with the same physics and gameplay of the original. It would be neat to keep the underlying game and just toggle between the old and new presentation layer, like how Halo CCE did it. Regardless, I would like the original N64 version included to play through.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
If they remaster the visuals, I'd prefer them to be toggleable ala MCC. Other than that, I don't expect much above and beyond standards like widescreen and high definition. I think the less they change the better personally.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
240 stars!

I'd like for them to add more content! It could be like Green stars in Galaxy at bare minimum, but they could also just add new places! I never played the DS version, so if they add whatever content that had in a smart way and just add extra rooms with extra paintings, I'll very happily get 100% in it all over again.

The graphics should also be revamped, but I don't need Pixar-like graphics. They could touch up some assets and make Bowser look more like current Bowser and Mario look more like current Mario (those first 3D models are pretty rough IMO). But other than that, they can leave the worlds about the same.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Keep the low-poly aesthetic. Keep the physics. Improve the textures.

Add a shit-load of post-game content for Super Players.

TOM 2

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Planet Spaceship
Nintendo has already made a "base" to work from in terms of assets if they did want to actually remake the game. Starting with Galaxy's "throwback" Whomp's Fortress level to the recent rendition of Peach's Castle in Odyssey.

Do I think they will go the lengths to remake Mario 64 using something like those assets? Probably not. I only expect a 1080p widescreen upgrade at the most.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'd be happy with widescreen, 1080p/60fps, improved texture filtering, improved draw distance (zero pop-in), and a reworked, modern camera. I'm honestly not hoping for them to remaster textures, models, and animations. I'd rather they stick close to the original.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Remake it in Super Mario Odyssey's engine.

Would be cool if you complete the game and unlock new ways to play, such as:

-Unlock Yoshi to ride around the world
-Since you'd be using Super Mario Odyssey's engine, incorporate Cappy in a 2nd playthrough.
-Bonus: Include Luigi and Wario from DS versions as hidden/unlockable characters.

An HD port would be nice, but I'd like a few surprises in the package.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Same worlds, geography and star locations but with Odyssey graphics, animations and moveset (even if throwing the hat or capturing enemies is not required, it would be fun taking over enemies and trying new things in Mario 64's worlds). They could even insert FLUDD and Galaxy physics in certain places somehow (like worlds that have floating islands, or visiting the "underside" of those floating worlds), making those stages nice playgrounds. Just go wild and mix everything, give total freedom to the player. I think it would be a nice celebration of 3D Mario games.

Oh, and new hidden stars would be nice also.

Oh, and Yoshi too. And Luigi, Toad and Rosalina. I want everything and the kitchen sink.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
People asking for the exact same game but with new moves and updated physics?

Sure, if you want to break the game completely.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
  • Visually, the usual bells and whistles, but maintaining more of the original aesthetic.
  • Add hints to some of the tougher stars, since they often required a guide to figure out.
  • Overhauled boss fights
  • Optional "original" mode with gameplay unaltered
  • An even tougher extra difficulty
  • Checkpoints
  • Luigi's Balloon Hunt
  • ALL of the DS version's extra content, multiplayer and characters but online
  • This is Hyper ambitious, but post-game extras in the form of mechanics from later games - FLUDD from Sunshine and Cappy from Odyssey

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Preferred: Mario 64 rebuilt with Odyssey level assets

What I expect: Mario 64 with 1080/720, 60fps, widescreen

What I'll settle for: Mario 64 untouched as part of N64 Online

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Considering I can already play the original at 4k ultrawide 60 fps with free camera movement and infinite draw distance on PC, I would want a complete remake in Odyssey's art style. More stars would be cool.