• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I love XCOM 2 and noticed it's on sale right now for Switch.

How does it perform handheld in its current state (assuming there have been patches)? I know it's turn-based, but I still prefer good texture work, smooth frame rates and reasonable load times.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Great question, Switch has essentially become my double dipping machine. And I might play War of the Chosen on Switch if it works well.

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
I played it quite a bit and it starts out okay but as the maps get more complex and more populated, the performance hitches quite a lot. Resolute and textures arent great but it didn't impact my enjoyment too much. The constant hitching and frame dips is what made me tap out about 10 hours in. I wanted to love it but it just felt bad after a while, but I get bothered by even slight frame pacing issues.

The resolution and performance on the Avenger is very bad but since it's just a menu based thing, it can get a bit of a pass from me personally.

The load times are quite long too so if you're prone to restarting after getting a bad turn, it will feel really bad.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I was curious, too and I thought Digital Foundry would take a look at this, but no luckj, so far.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Great question, Switch has essentially become my double dipping machine. And I might play War of the Chosen on Switch if it works well.
From all accounts WOTC runs like shit on Switch. From Reddit:
I have played it on PS4. The base game is playable with long load times and issues, occasional crashes combined with the long load times are frustrating but the game autosaves every turn so you're not really losing anything other than time.
WOTC is an unoptimized mess and while the expansion itself is fun, good luck with Lost missions in cities.

If this game had cross-save I'd consider it but for $30 and no way to carry progress ehhhh....

Status
Not open for further replies.