• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How does the PS5 look to you aesthetically in person compared to the initial pictures?

• It was beautiful from da moment I first saw it, to the day I got my hands on it.

Votes: 493 27.6%
  • It was ugly then and it's ugly now... Are you surprised?

Votes: 890 49.9%
  • When I saw the pictures I wasn't impressed, but when its right there in front of me... Vavavavoom!!!

Votes: 256 14.3%
  • The pictures were hot, but this thing looks like a Transformer shat in my living room!

Votes: 146 8.2%

• Total voters

Applesaucejaxon

Uncle actually worked at Nintendo
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I really don't like how it looks. My wife came home from work today and saw it for the first time and said she doesn't want it in our living room. Thankfully it runs great. Very happy with most everything but the looks.

art_vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
It's the ugliest console I have, and it's not even close. It's honestly somehow even worse in person. Even the controller is fugly. I guess it's all a good way to get me to buy a mid-gen refresh if they go that route again...

It truly is The Homer in home electronics form.

billiam

Oct 28, 2017
Everytime I have looked at the console from pictures until now having it in the home, I have progressively disliked it's design. For dimensions, I like the components and reported performance, but yeah the size is unreal.

Was also hoping with the weird design that my hands on impression would change, but some of the materials and finishes make it seem kinda cheap superficially.

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait to put this unbashful white monolith in my lounge, one things for sure, its a definite talking piece, although many people are critical of its design it may end up working for them in that respect.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking at it now in behind the opaque glass in my entertainment stand and it looks like a giant pair of tweezers on its side. Call it a hunch, but I don't think the inevitable PS5 slim is going to look anything like the original.

Deej1980

Oct 30, 2017
Going to be honest here. I hate it. I think it looks horrible. As long as it doesn't break I don't care because it's tucked away in my entertainment unit behind closed doors (open while playing of course) but I'll never have it out.

The controller is amazing though.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw it during the reveal I thought it was an odd design choice and a step away from what they have done before. That being said after setting mine up today I have grown to like it.

It certainly isn't my favourite PS system but I don't feel it's as bad as people make it out to be.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
It looks especially bad on its side, and its immense size is utterly ridiculous.

Inside though, it's an extremely impressive system thus far. It feels like a much bigger leap and improvement than the PS4 did when it launched.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I honestly think that this design wouldn't be deemed as bad if it wasn't anywhere close to being this big. Like, this fucking console is huge and it's bigger than I expected it to be. I wouldn't be shocked if they make a PS5 "Slim" that's much smaller in height lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think I'd like the white and black as I prefer all my tech aesthetics to be black, but the outer shells being matte white same as controller I really like even more in person, amd its so beautiful vertically.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
It's insanely large, I had to put it behind my TV and it has just enough room to stand vertical.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
If everything were completely black, and it was half the size it would be impressive. Now though, it's an eye sore.

Oct 30, 2017
i don't hate it in my setup but i do really wish i was able to get a digital edition.

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty meh about the design when it was revealed but now that I have it on the shelf, I like it,

I was expecting it to be larger than it is too. I know it's huge but when people were saying it was gigantic, I expected the worst.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I really didn't like it before, but seeing it in person and having it in the living room, now I really hate it. Out of all the consoles I have owned since the NES, this is the ugliest. The controller on the other hand I was just meh on before getting it, but now I think looks pretty nice.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
to everyone else with the digital version .... are you as amazed by the design as i am?

i've got it vertical, and yeh ..i know its a big console, but it just doesn't look it. the same way its hard to judge the size of white paper from the side, but mainly front on ..it almost disappears ..all i really notice is that narrow strip of black and some tasteful lighting

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was pretty extra while the XSEX was a bit uninspired.

But living with it for a week or so now, it's fine, it's still huge, but the design looks pretty nice and simple.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Set up in my TV console... it's ugly, but it's interesting to look at as a curiosity. An ugly curiosity, but maybe there's some value in that.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the disc edition, in horizontal it's really awful. In vertical it looks pretty nice. The size and weight was just comical though, it really makes it's presence felt.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, as someone who liked the initial pictures, it looks bad horizontal lol. And I didn't know its "On" light would be that strong so it looks like a spaceship in our living room.

When I get the Pro/Slim I'm going to make sure I can get it to be vertical.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Slowly growing on me

I really like seeing the light off my light up switch dock bounce off the ps5's white when the lights are off

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how small the inevitable redesign will be. I wonder if they can get it as compact as the Series S.

I can see a "PS5 Slim" in 2023 that is maybe around the size of the Series S, maybe just a bit larger, with plates that are sealed so that the console acts as a single piece. NVME slot would be a user accessible bay that pops open on the top.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? Still looks terrible. Sitting next to my Series X, it's hilarious how opposite MS and Sony went with their consoles.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Just looking at it under my tv stand, makes me really really want the side plates in matte black. I hate the white

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I honestly think it looks good vertical, but I don't have space for it to sit that way and it kind of looks extremely stupid on its side so I picked the last option.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Looks better than expected tbh. It's not really my aesthetic and shit's comically large, but it doesn't look cheap. The led lights in particular are pretty slick. I have it vertical though which I think flatters it a lot more than horizontal.