• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How does the PS5 look to you aesthetically in person compared to the initial pictures?

• It was beautiful from da moment I first saw it, to the day I got my hands on it.

Votes: 493 27.6%
  • It was ugly then and it's ugly now... Are you surprised?

Votes: 890 49.9%
  • When I saw the pictures I wasn't impressed, but when its right there in front of me... Vavavavoom!!!

Votes: 256 14.3%
  • The pictures were hot, but this thing looks like a Transformer shat in my living room!

Votes: 146 8.2%

• Total voters

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It's just as ugly in person as it is in pics/videos. I have no idea what they were thinking. But it now resides behind my TV and I never really have to see it, so no big deal.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I love modern aesthetics so it's perfect for me and my setup. It def looks better vertically vs horizontally.
The only thing that's modern about it is if somebody from the year 1990 was asked to design what something in the year 2020 would look like, and they went with a science-fiction approach. It looks like it's straight out of The Fifth Element.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Guess I'm in the minority, because I love it. Futuristic, distinctive, eye-catching. I like it much better in person. And yeah, it's big, but it speaks to a better commitment to cooling and noise suppression. Materials and construction also feel like a step up from PS4; definitely seems like Sony allocated a higher budget to building this thing.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
For the people saying it's smaller in person, how big were you imaging it was going to be? The thing is absolutely massive and a pain in the ass in put in a lot of setups.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
9yIkxT2_d.webp
Absolute monstrosity. I just looks so bad 😬

Hoping they put out matte black faceplates soon to at least tone it down.

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
It's really bad... looks and feels cheap, big, tacky and ugly

I am more annoyed they cheaped out on the HDMI cable length though, doesn't even reach my tv properly which is a bigger problem than last gen as HDMI 2.1 cables that actually meet the full spec are hard to find.

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017
Its fucking hideous, it looks like a Trapper Keeper VCR or something lol.

The controller is amazing though

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still looks ugly and tacky to me. Like it's trying too hard a la Alienware. Edit: for the record I don't own one but I've already seen it in person.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. Don't hate it, don't love it.

I actually really like how the Digital Edition looks, though.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It's a goddamn eyesore.
I get that people don't buy consoles for looks, but this thing is ugly as sin. Especially compared to both MS consoles.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Last edited:

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
Why isn't there an option for its totally fine and I don't understand these exaggerated reactions?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
When I really think about it all of Sony's slimline consoles and even the PS4Pro are uglier than the original unit, so I have no hope for whatever they do with the 5 in three years.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
don't know, started to like the look of digital standing vertical actually.
one issue i didn't expect is, the lights on sides are a bit too strong for my liking

Feb 9, 2018
I don't dislike the shape of it, but I don't like the glossy finish of the black part. It's also gigantic. I may trade it towards a slim model whenever one is released.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
It was a big beautiful sexy beast then and it still is a big beautiful sexy beast now. Kind of interesting to see Resetera being like the only place that has such an aversion to the design. Everywhere else people love it.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It is pretty ugly. I have it standing and I have the disk version and with the hump it looks like it's going to fall over. It is perfectly level, but just the way it looks at an angle looks like it is going to fall over. My wife came into my game room to ask me how I like it and told her I love the system itself but it is ugly..she then looked at it and said "that is so damn ugly looking". lol.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I still love the geometry of it but I think the size is ridiculous. I'm not bothered to the point of anger or annoyance, I'm just in a perpetual state of disbelief that it's as big as it is... But the shape and the curves and such still look cool to me.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Look I love what the console does, and I'm so far glad I bought one.

But god damn I hate the way this fucker looks.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I still love it man. It's weird, but I like it. And I love the lighting when it's turned on.

I also like how solid it looks vertically. First time I've ever had a console vertical.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'm in the minority, because I love it. Futuristic, distinctive, eye-catching. I like it much better in person. And yeah, it's big, but it speaks to a better commitment to cooling and noise suppression. Materials and construction also feel like a step up from PS4; definitely seems like Sony allocated a higher budget to building this thing.
Same here, I think it looks great. I really believe it will grow on people over time. Pretty much all of the best console designs share that initial adjustment period. (The GameCube lunchbox meme went on for QUITE awhile, and I thought that design was brilliant.)

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's grown on me a bit but it is ridiculous and it's kinda crazy to think this is what they settled on to be honest.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
It's awful, and made worse by the fact that it's so huge and you can't avoid seeing it.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
It's an ugly console. I always thought these things were market tested in some manner. Would love to see the methodology and responses

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
My series x is totally out of place in my living room, and it's super big. Don't know what the hell I'm going to do once my PS5 arrives. The pictures made the consoles look a bit smaller than I anticipated.

I think the only console that can fit easily in different rooms is my Nintendo switch and maybe an Xbox series s.

Even if we don't consider the look of these consoles, the size is very big. Essentially "mini" PC towers. My series x is much larger than my modem. Minimalistic design cannot hide size, these are going to look awful in most living room spaces.

Last edited:

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate how is a little wobbly on its side. Aside from that, though, it actually looks fine in my TV stand.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
After all the hyperbole about its size I was expecting to put an entire thinner pc case under my tv, but it's really not that big. My pc still has to stay in the other room with hdmi through the wall - this thing is quiet and sits under my tv, it looks nice. I'm happy with the size, I don't want it to be loud.