• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How does the PS5 look to you aesthetically in person compared to the initial pictures?

• It was beautiful from da moment I first saw it, to the day I got my hands on it.

Votes: 493 27.6%
  • It was ugly then and it's ugly now... Are you surprised?

Votes: 890 49.9%
  • When I saw the pictures I wasn't impressed, but when its right there in front of me... Vavavavoom!!!

Votes: 256 14.3%
  • The pictures were hot, but this thing looks like a Transformer shat in my living room!

Votes: 146 8.2%

• Total voters

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The thing is ugly as shit. And it's huge, way bigger than it looks in pictures. I was literally cracking up looking at it yesterday,it's like a joke

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can only imagine it will look even worse when it's dirty / dusty, and the materials get old.

I thought it looked fine in the pictures, but it looks awful lying on it's side in my entertainment center.

image0.jpg
It looks like a messed-up binder.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I chose option 3, because I thought it looked ugly when I originally saw it but in person and especially on my media center, I think it looks fine now. It's growing on me. Part of the reason for this is that it isn't as stark white as I thought it was going to be. It's more of a light grey, which I think looks a lot better IMO. Not a big fan of the shiny black part, but overall it looks solid. I wouldn't say WOWOWOWOW amazing, but solid for sure. FYI- I have mine set horizontally because fuck that monstrosity standing upright. lol

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
I'm actually quite fond of the way it looks in person. It's massive and commanding. I think seeing the digital in person compared to the 99% disc marketing images helps. The symmetry of the digital makes it much easier to look at.

Iamcenok

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly haven't gotten able to grab one -- but the digital version is growing on me a little.
When I do get my hand on one I was strongly looking into painting the fins black 3.0.

That said I think another reason why im digging the digital besides getting rid of that growth on its side is it actually reminds me a bit of the xbox 360.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
It's bigger than I thought, but it also looks better than I thought. The curviness really helps offset the size.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it always looked ugly...but at least I thought it was tall and thin...

In person? It's not only tall, but it's also a lot fatter than the pictures made it appear. Still haven't seen a digital edition in the wild though, which is the only version I will be purchasing.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked it when it was first revealed but I'm not too hot on it right now thanks to it's enormous size. Still, I'm anxiously waiting for mine to ship.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I think the actual look is fine.

I am not a fan of needing a stand for horizontal use. I think that's a weird design.

I wish it were a little shorter. It being so tall made it awkward to put in my setup without having to rearrange a bunch of stuff.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I would say it was ugly then but is significantly uglier sitting in front of me next to a Series X

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's not great looking that's for sure.

It would probably be so much more better looking if it didn't have those gigantic white wings. I'd be interested to see how the PS5 looks with more flush side panels. In black of course.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love it in person. I love how big and gawdy it is. And that it's design is so intense it refuses to not be the center of attention even if you don't like it. I do understand why people wouldn't like it though. But it's grown on me a ton.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like shit and I cant believe I had to actually screw the base in
The controller looks cool though

Revan Ren

Jan 11, 2018
I think it's pretty cool, in a ridiculous sort of way. I appreciate Microsoft's style, I like the Series X monolith but when I look at my PS5 I think "that's a game console". I also loved the GameCube, OG 360 and George Foreman PS3.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Highly unlikely we'll have "Pro" iterations this Gen. The systems are a lot more powerful, comparatively, than they were last gen. They're not being held back by individual components, so you'll likely only see Slim revisions.
At the very least they'll have more hard drive.

Anyway, your point is valid but that isn't the deciding factor, the Pro consoles sold well so they will have the incentive to find ways to make and sell new ones.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
having it on it's side in a black tv stand actually makes it look better than i thought and also smaller than i was expecting. i think having the black tv stand makes the system seem smaller because the middle black part blends in with everything else and then you really only see 2 cool white blades.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
Its ghastly, especially in a cabinet where every other electronic is black. Sony needs to release black plates like yesterday.

Oct 27, 2017
The disc version looks aweful horizontal. It doesn't match the rest of the room at all and it would be fine if it was vertical but I just have this fat futuristic log.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
It's... pretty something to look at. In pictures I was kinda into it, but the size is kind of comical in a way. Definitely doesnt feel "sexy" in my media center.

If you grabbed its Z axis and squished it by 50-60%. It might look slick.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Just got mine about 20 minutes ago and hooked it up. It still looks just awful.

When you place it horizontally, it creates this optical effect where it looks like the bottom part of the "collar" is bigger and drooping lower than the top half. The thing is also fucking huge, and as far as I can tell, the stand in horizontal orientation doesn't actually lock into anything? So if you slide the console around, the stand might not come with it?

On the bright side, the DualSense feels great, and looks a lot better than I thought it would from renders and videos. It has that solid "heft" the Xbox Elite controllers do, that make them feel premium. I prefer the stick layout of the Xbox controller, but I can already tell this will be my favourite PS controller.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I think I somehow hate it more in person lol. It just clashes so much with the rest of my apartment.

I don't think it'd be so bad if I literally built around it but uhh, that's not happening.

Keyframe

Oct 29, 2017
I am just glad it comes with a stand because it would take a ridiculous amount of desk space otherwise if I had to place horizontally.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
lol I'm laughing at all these people in here going, "Zomg! It's the most hideous thing ever created!" Leave it to gamers to think a boring ass black box is some how aesthetically pleasing. 🙄
I mean the boring ass black box pretty much vanishes in a lot of people's setups. I rather boring, clean and simple than weird flashy and ugly.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
The design of the Space Vulva seems more ridiculous every time I look at it. If anything, it at least grabs the attention of anyone who looks at it.

I'm pretty sure that the slim version will tone down the weirdness and its size to something with more lasting appeal.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
..what ISN'T modern about it in your eyes?
Modern aesthetic is defined by neutral, clean lines, with minimal flourish. Clean lines over curves. Neutral colors. An absence of garish boldness and synthetic embellishments.

The PS5 is practically the opposite of that. It's faux-futuristic. It's gaudy and over-designed. It's what a 5th grader drew in their notebook in 2002, imagining what a Playstation in 2020 would look like.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at this thing now under my tv, man it looks weird like an Alienware PC with RGB lights. My GFs series S is right next to it, and just looks great in white compared to this thing. I really want some matte black plates for the PS5 to hide it more

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing it in peoples' setups sticking out like a sore thumb confirms everything I thought about it. Just awful.