• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I dont know i never played original. But i assume it is because many people said so in the ot thread
Yeah...no. People here have an interesting definition of faithful. FFVII:R is more of an expanded re-imagining than a remake. But for some reason, calling it an re-imagining upsets people.

When people say it's "mostly faithful to the original story" what they mean is this:

If you boil down the original's 5-hour prologue-story to a bullet point list of "Key-scenes and plot-points," then FFVII:Remake's story does technically follow the list. It also adds two or three pages of new plot developments, plot-points, sub-plots, and key-scenes as well, and the old story portions are strongly altered and recontextualized.

A good example to describe the differences would actually be King Kong. The differences between FFVII and FFVII:Remake are similar to the differences between the original 1933 film "King Kong" and the 2005 Peter Jackson remake. Lot's of attention to detail, and lot's of scenes remade. The directors cut is also twice as long as the original movie. And frankly, FFVII:Remake scene's are much more than twice the length of the original, and also add in some new major over-arching plots that kinda steal the spotlight from the main plot.

So...yeah. Not even close to being 1:1, unless you're looking at a check-list synopsis of events. And ignore any additions.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I am playing it for the first time and having a great time! I am about 15 hours in (just finished the dungeon at Red XIII's home). I would say I am of the right vintage to enjoy it, so maybe that contributes. The art, music, and atmosphere have been a pleasure to experience.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the FFs 6 and on hold up fairly well, even if it's in only some categories

Oct 27, 2017
FF7 is one of those staple games I tried to play but never went back to because of reasons. I think I'm going to give it a final shot on the switch. I wonder how much of the story will be new to me given that I have this jumbled collection of facts in my head:
Cloud is with a group of environmentalist revolutionaries in Midgar. He meets up with flower girl Aerith for some reason. They escape Midgar. After this I have no clue what happens, but I do know they are joined by a talking cat, Aerith dies, there's Sephiroth who's bad and becomes worse when he learns he's a clone of ... something. There's an alien called Jenova involved. And the final battle is against Sephiroth on god mode.
Main reason I was interested in this game is that the One-Winged Angel theme is fantastic and I used to obsess over a youtube video on the Cloud-Sephiroth fight scene in Advent Children.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
FF7 is one of those staple games I tried to play but never went back to because of reasons. I think I'm going to give it a final shot on the switch. I wonder how much of the story will be new to me given that I have this jumbled collection of facts in my head:
Cloud is with a group of environmentalist revolutionaries in Midgar. He meets up with flower girl Aerith for some reason. They escape Midgar. After this I have no clue what happens, but I do know they are joined by a talking cat, Aerith dies, there's Sephiroth who's bad and becomes worse when he learns he's a clone of ... something. There's an alien called Jenova involved. And the final battle is against Sephiroth on god mode.
Main reason I was interested in this game is that the One-Winged Angel theme is fantastic and I used to obsess over a youtube video on the Cloud-Sephiroth fight scene in Advent Children.

Like 90% of the story would be new to you.

You don't know the actual real big twist of the story for example.

Only when backtracking.

Sporadically turn off random encounters and do 3 x speed for everything if it's that much of a slog for you just to get the story.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's as good a game as it was when it came out, like pretty much any other game. the game hasn't changed at all, really, unless you count mods.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Bad localization, terrible visuals, mediocre combat (ATB sucks y'all) held together with hope and some great music.
I played through to some time on disc 3 on my PS3 /ps1 classic like 7 years ago then lost the save from a system failure. Haven't been able to get through midgar on a multitude of attempts because I fucking despise the ATB system.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I actually can't believe they didn't retranslate it for the current gen ports, it's that bad.

Other than that though, yeah it holds up. Graphics are pretty crummy and the turn based system is very simple but it's a very intriguing world with a good cast.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
While all optical media run some risk of being rendered unplayable due to scratching, FF7 is no more likely to suffer from this issue than any other PS1 game except for requiring multiple discs to be in playable condition, so you should be fine. If playing a digital remaster, your only worry is avoiding data corruption, which is almost unheard of for modern consoles.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So, what's the best way to experience the game today and what should I expect?

Depends on your tolerance and availability options. I myself actually started playing it again for the first time since '97, but after looking at the PC version, as well as the more recent console re-releases, I just decided to play the original release again on PC via emulator for more than a few reasons. Not only can I get the higher resolution characters from the recent releases, but I can also add scanlines, which improves the look a lot. It simply looks really bad without them IMO. I'm also using the closer to accurate English translation of the Japanese script.

The only other option that I would even attempt to play would be the Steam version, which has mod support, and you can use something like ReShade to add scanlines, but I just decided to go for something simpler that just worked and looked good.

As far as the game itself goes, it's fine, but nothing spectacular now from a gameplay perspective. I mainly wanted to replay it to see how faithful FF7R was, and it was kind of neat to see how well they recreated the enemies and areas, although the point at which FF7R ends after 30 - 40 hours was only four and a half hours in the original.

Is the speed boost a thing you can do with a PC version?

Maybe with something like Cheat Engine, but not by default unfortunately. That's about the only thing the re-released console versions have over the original and Steam releases.

If a game is great it is always great.

I hate the whole does something hold up conversation.

Aesthetics are a factor though, and the game looks extremely rough now compared to what came before it and after. I was actually unimpressed by a lot of it at release due to how inconsistent they were with the cutscenes. Many of them were "chibi", and a lot were also more realistic. It's like make up your mind already. The best thing about it is still the cast and the music I think.

Last edited:

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Played it last month. Story and characters(at least with reunion mod) holds up pretty damn well honestly. I 100% get the love for cloud as a character now.

Gameplay wise? Eh? It's mash attack option for about 20 hours and then you get enough options to make a solid Gameplay system afterward

Also, some love the pre-rendered backgrounds but I was super mixed on it. Loads of times where it felt like I could walk a certain way just to be told "nah"

Overall, it's definitely a product of its time, but I think it's worth playing still.

I'd probably reccomend either switch for portability or pc for better translation since I hear the official translation can be iffy.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
It's still one of the greatest games in the history of the video game industry. All the Remake did was just show off how awesome these characters always were. I've 100%'d the game so many times I lost count.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Played and beat it a few months ago on the Switch. Still holds up great, though I was a massive fan of the original on the PS1, so I'm not sure how someone new to the game would find it.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I played the OG so I can't really give an unbiased opinion here.

I DON'T think it holds up. The music is all MIDI, the pre-rendered backgrounds are hard to make sense of in certain areas.

The combat system holds up as well as any other retro JRPG, but the writing and story telling seem so much worse in 2020 when you compare them with well written modern JRPGs.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I just finished playing it for the first time like a day before FF VII Remake came out.

For me, it would have been unplayable without the 3X speed that the PS4 version gives you. If you have that capability, I think it's worth playing.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Better than 8 and 9. It still feels very tight. The only thing that has aged poorly is the character models.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Better than 8 and 9. It still feels very tight. The only thing that has aged poorly is the characte
Like 90% of the story would be new to you.

You don't know the actual real big twist of the story for example.
Most people that play through the game don't even know the big twist. A lot of crucial plot points are hidden.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I've beaten it probably 400 times since I got my copy on PS1. It holds up very well to this day imo.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Highly recommend the switch version where you can grind at 3x speed and be ultra leveled by the end of the game.

Oct 26, 2017
There's no Final Fantasy that pulls at my heartstrings like 7...and it does it so many times. Part of that is on great writing, great direction, and especially on the music hitting at exactly the right time. To this day, knowing what is to come, certain moments still kick my ass.

Nanaki howling up at his father....hnnngg

OnionKnight10

Dec 28, 2019
It's fantastic. I played it for the first time in 2014, replayed it this year, it held up incredibly well. It's a very good, relatively fast paced JRPG. Can't recommend it enough.

As to how to play it today, the modern console versions are fine but are visually a bit crappy because the uprezzed models do not mesh with the backgrounds at all. But they do have 3x speed and cheat options, if that's your thing. The game is the same game, you'll be fine on any of the consoles.

However if you want the game to look a bit more cohesive and have a PC there's always the option of emulating the PS1 game and running it with a nice CRT filter. This helps blend the backgrounds and models together really well and the results look fantastic.

I know some people suggest the PC version with mods - and some of the mods are nice, the upscaled backgrounds do make the game look better than the console ports, and the 60fps menuing is key - but the HD character models to my mind look awful and completely break the aesthetic of the game. The translation of sprites to 3D through these abstract, low poly field models is one of the most interesting and distinctive things about FFVII historically, its so striking and almost no other game does this, so modding those out kinda defeats the purpose of looking back.

But I'm not your dad I can't stop anyone lol. Hope this helps break down the options, the real answer is however you play you will have a great time. The game is simply good.

OP, follow this person's advice. If you have a PC with a dedicated graphics card from the last, say, 9-10 years (I have a GTX 570 from 2010), buy the game digitally to show support for Square, then play the game through Retroarch with a CRT filter. My recommendations for a start would be Lottes or Hyllian Multipass or CRT Easymode. IMO, if you're not playing this on a PS Vita-sized screen, the only other proper way to play this is through an emulator like Retroarch that allows CRT shaders or the holy grail which is of course a real CRT. Without scanlines, the up-resed character models in all of the game's ports would look hideously out of place set on top of the 240p pre-rendered backgrounds. You will never understand how this game was once thought of as one of the best looking games ever made, one which I personally think still looks beautiful even today.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
For me, I love it. I enjoy psx graphics and the turn based system with materia is one of the best in my opinion.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
I played the original FFVII for the first time about 13 years after it came out and I thought it held up then. The story, characters, and music blew me away.

I am replaying it right now and I definitely think it holds up just as well in 2020. All you need to do is get over some of the outdated graphics and you'll have the privilege of experiencing an all-time classic. I even think the combat is still engaging and fun (as long as you're not over-leveled). I'm replaying it on Switch and having a blast. I think the fast forward and no encounter features are critical to having an even better experience with this game in 2020. I honestly skip most random encounters so that the combat remains challenging and engaging.

I also think anyone passionate about this hobby of ours and it's burgeoning history owes it to themselves to at least try the original FFVII. The graphics may be outdated, but they are still impressive and fun to enjoy if you keep the fact that the game was released 23 years ago in mind.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
there's some rough edges but i still think it's fine

music is great

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
OP, follow this person's advice. If you have a PC with a dedicated graphics card from the last, say, 9-10 years (I have a GTX 570 from 2010), buy the game digitally to show support for Square, then play the game through Retroarch with a CRT filter. My recommendations for a start would be Lottes or Hyllian Multipass or CRT Easymode. IMO, if you're not playing this on a PS Vita-sized screen, the only other proper way to play this is through an emulator like Retroarch that allows CRT shaders or the holy grail which is of course a real CRT. Without scanlines, the up-resed character models in all of the game's ports would look hideously out of place set on top of the 240p pre-rendered backgrounds. You will never understand how this game was once thought of as one of the best looking games ever made, one which I personally think still looks beautiful even today.

While many of the CRT shaders can get you closer to how an actual CRT really looked, I've alternately found that the default scanline overlays (no shaders at all) actually do the trick about as well for many games. The more in depth you get with the shaders, the harder it can be on the GPU, and it also seems to greatly affect menu navigation as well. They also often tend to exaggerate bloom, which doesn't always look great. Simply having scanlines at all, especially when they aren't overbearing goes a long way to fix the "dated" look of pre-HD games on HD screens. For sprite based games I like using Lottes or Royale/Kurozumi, but for hybrid games, just generic scanlines.

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Its a good game that looks visually really, really dated.

And has certain wasted potential because some characters dont get enough screentime.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly pretty well. The combat is pretty archaic, even amongst turn based games, but the story and world is strong for it's time.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the battle system doesnt hold up. I loved the original for the time, but i am very glad they did real time for the remake. Turn based is hard to go back to and I absolutely prefer real time. That being said i loved this game and the battle system when it first came out.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I just actually beat the game for the first time yesterday (never had a psx as a kid). I think it holds up pretty well though and I'm really happy I played through it. Just have to get over the little blocky lego characters. And 3x speed is also crucial.

Ironically, the actual in game character models (overworld) look much better now than those in the cutscenes. Many of the cutscenes actually look like Lego characters almost.

Still the best FF game.

It might be one of the best, but it's not peerless. A lot of factors come into play though regarding a person's favorites in the series.

I think the battle system doesnt hold up. I loved the original for the time, but i am very glad they did real time for the remake. Turn based is hard to go back to and I absolutely prefer real time. That being said i loved this game and the battle system when it first came out.

I like the combat in FF7R more I think, yet at the same time also dislike it. Mainly because of how bad the non active characters are, and while I know you are meant to switch between them, that still doesn't really solve the biggest problem with them. The new game would have greatly benefited from a limited gambit system, or at least faster ATB gains for non actives.

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing now on switch. Small screen + prerendered background make it acceptable graphic wise. And speed x3/ no random encounter when needed so easily activated (clik on joystick ) is a gift from heaven.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The character models are horrible and the battle system is pretty weak. You can still find enjoyment in the story, but chances are the 2 main story beats are things you already know considering their pop culture status.

Oct 25, 2017
I just replayed it a month ago in anticipation of the remake.

Still a masterpiece and to be honest other than the graphics the game feels ridiculously contemporary both mechanically and in how it handles its story telling. It's not even crazy long, i played it on the OG PS1 discs on my ps2 and it took me like 40hrs to beat and i did almost everything except ruby and emerald weapon. The battles are so snappy and the SFX create such a good sense of impact.

It's really just my favorite FF of all time and it might just be my favorite game of all time despite how cliche that is. But it's just so replayable and hits all the right notes for me. I've gone through it at least 9 times. The remake is awesome and flashy and new but the OG is special in a way the remake never will be to me.

Play this game if you haven't.

Last edited:

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say great. The pace is amazing (except a couple of slow parts).

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I just replayed it a month ago in anticipation of the remake.

Still a masterpiece and to be honest other than the graphics the game feels ridiculously contemporary both mechanically and in how it handles its story telling. It's not even crazy long, i played it on the OG PS1 discs on my ps2 and it took me like 40hrs to beat and i did almost everything except ruby and emerald weapon. The battles are so snappy and the SFX create such a good sense of impact.

It's really just my favorite FF of all time and it might just be my favorite game of all time despite how cliche that is. But it's just so replayable and hits all the right notes for me. I've gone through it at least 9 times. The remake is awesome and flashy and new but the OG is special in a way the remake never will be to me.

Play this game if you haven't.
I feel exactly the same way. I'm currently playing through it again for the first time in 20 years and it's so good.

If you listen to some people here though apparently it looks like absolute dogshit unless you throw a bunch of mods at it.

Ocarina_117, playing it for the first time I would recommend having a guide handy and just glance over at it whenever you get stuck for a few minutes. I recommend this one. Don't torture yourself running around aimlessly when you're not sure where to go. Navigating the beautifully pre-rendered backgrounds can be a little tricky at times, and the game comes from an era before quest markers so there are points at which you might not pick up on the clue that informs your next destination.

Sadly the best way to experience the game is still on a PS1 with a CRT television. All the ports that exist today upres the character models while just enlarging the background art into a blurry mess, resulting in this weird juxtaposition of high-res and low-res where the characters look like they've been pasted onto the background instead of being part of the world.

Second best is on an emulator like Retroarch with a good CRT overlay/filter. That's how I'm replaying it right now. Good shit.

If I had to play one of the ports, I'd probably go with the Switch undocked so everything doesn't look quite as ridiculous blown up to 4k or whatever.

What to expect? an incredibly ambitious and imaginative scifi/fantasy story and a richly detailed universe, evocative of classics like Nausicaa, Akira and Blade Runner.