• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021

View: https://i.imgur.com/sS6hn25.png

So this is the state of the world of Middle-Earth in The Lord of the Rings Online now. When I played the game last in 2009, about 65% of what's on the map now just simply... wasn't there.

This look amazing! Going from the Shire to Minas-Tirith is something I would definitely love to do!

But.

Even back in 2007-2009 when I played the game regularly, I wasn't really a fan of the actual gameplay. I loved the world of course and the community was fantastic, so much fun (I think I've spent more time in taverns and singing songs and going on "camping trips" with other people than doing actual quests).

However nowadays I don't really have a lot of spare time to get really into the community side of things, so I'm more interested in how the game plays. Were there many changes since 2009? Or is it the same but with just some new classes/races/features? Because if I wasn't a fan of this gameplay back in 2009, I really doubt I wouldn't be bored by it in 2022.

But boy do I really want to get back and just roam around what looks like the most detailed digital recreation of Middle-Earth yet.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
If you didn't like the gameplay then, it didn't change much. But you never know, sometimes your perspective might change and what you didn't enjoy then might appeal to you now. It happens to me sometimes!

I think it's still a really good MMO.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
It's really, really hard to get back in to even though I really want to. Everything just feels so bad, not to mention the trillion pop ups for items that couldn't fit into my inventory when I logged back in for the first time in years. It was such a nightmare to go back to (this was maybe March or April).

Maybe starting totally fresh would be a better experience, but the movement isn't great, the combat is just ok. And the coolest lotr lore stuff is several hours into the game unless you are a huge nerd for the Shire.

OP
OP
Farlander

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Its the same game as 2009

I went back druing their anniversary celebration and bounced off cause it was so old school

A shame... I really liked the Warden class back in the day because it was the least, 'traditional' so to speak, but not sure how much that will hold up now.

Have you seen Josh Strife Hayes' video on it? I thought it looked interesting at least. (Ignore the 'Worst MMO Ever' bit, that's just the series name, not a descriptor for LOTRO)

View: https://youtu.be/YZshgYbtUmM

No, but I have skimmed through it now (will give a detailed look later, thanks for the link!), he seems to have went through a bunch of starting areas (which even a decade later still feel fresh in the back of my mind :D ) with some of the older classes, so I suppose it just confirms my fears that not much has changed gameplay-wise.

Isn't Amazon studios working on a new middle earth MMO?

It was cancelled.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
A shame... I really liked the Warden class back in the day because it was the least, 'traditional' so to speak, but not sure how much that will hold up now.

No, but I have skimmed through it now (will give a detailed look later, thanks for the link!), he seems to have went through a bunch of starting areas (which even a decade later still feel fresh in the back of my mind :D ) with some of the older classes, so I suppose it just confirms my fears that not much has changed gameplay-wise.

It was cancelled.
That's a shame

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
All I remember about this game is the moment I decided I hated it. That would be when I had a quest to deliver pies to a hobbit on the other side of town and other asshole Hobbits would try to ambush me and steal my pies. If that happened, which is most certainly what went down over and over again, I would have to go back, collect more pies and restart my delivery route. After about 10 minutes of this nonsense I just stopped and asked myself, is this what I want to be doing with my gaming time? Is this fun? The answer to this was a hard no, so I logged off right then and there and never went back. I'm sure there are redeeming aspects to this game, but the amount of tedious and annoying filler content was way too much for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed my short time with it a couple years ago. I found that the sparse player-base and the musical troupes playing to almost no one inside taverns kind of contributed to Tolkien's idea of a declining world in the Third Age. It was a weirdly melancholy experience.

Mar 11, 2020
I got pissed off my characters are just straight up gone and unaccessible since they turned off the server i was on and there's no way to get them back still for like the last 3 years despite them saying it would get fixed.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i tried it on a bout of boredom like three or four months ago and i enjoyed it enough. its incredibly old school, and thats probably why i liked it

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
it feels like you're playing a game that was made 15 years ago ;/

wen new mmos