• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
Great video and critique

It's a pretty cool time to witness digital art grow at a significant rate. Yeah, it ain't perfect and it's messy, but this shit is fun to experience. I hope developers keep reaching and failing until we get a game on the level of film. I hope Sony continues to give a long leash to their studios, because we will only benefit.

Art is supposed to create a discussion and the occasional heated argument.

FirewalkR

Oct 27, 2017
London
I have no idea who this guy is but I subscribed. I jumped around parts of it but still intend to do a full listen. Even if you don't agree with everything, and even if your emotional perspective is different regarding the games, he really really knows how to express himself. Very, very well written stuff (unless he's ad libbing which would be even more impressive lol).

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Managed to watch the rest of the video, it's interesting to hear that Noah's favourite part of TLOU2 was the second half of the game with Abby. He's got a good way of explaining things to and while I disagree with some criticisms he made of the first game, he's not the kind of guy who just blindly criticises because a bad thing happens to a character he likes.

I did kind of anticipate what was going to happen to the characters as the story progressed (Thankfully I did not get spoiled) so what happened wasn't so much of a 'shock' but the game grabbed my attention from beginning to end, especially as you fight Ellie in the theatre.

I hope ND, Sony and other developers and publishers continue to take storytelling risks in their major games. Even if that means provoking the ire of people who like being comfortable with a more conventional sequel. There are reasonable takes you can make for disliking TLOU2, but most of the discourse has been utter BS.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
With every new video, Noah's beard gets more wild. :D

Another great critique, although I don't agree with him about TLOU1's gameplay. I'm glad he's finally covering modern console titles, he's been stuck on PC games for too long.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching it. Noah is really a master at his craft. His critique made me appreciate TLOU2 even more.

I am going to have to buy it and play it some day. I played a bit of it at a friend's house and watched everything with him and on youtube.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
"If that's not good representation I don't know what is," no matter how well intentioned, is a dumb thing to say if you aren't a member of the group being represented.

Good review though, as usual.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love me an in depth YouTube essay, but this starts off self-indulgent and the runtime ain't convincing me otherwise.
No, you're right. I've watched a few of his videos and he confuses length for depth. Guys like Folding Ideas, Errant Signal, and Jacob Geller all do deeper, more interesting game crit on youtube at a fraction of the length.

They do. Why is this thread only two pages?

Probably because all of his videos are multiple hours long and not that engaging

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Just listened to the whole thing whilst starting on my NG+. Appreciated his insight and agreed more with his thoughts on Left Behind and Part II than I did part I. Will definitely check out more of his stuff.🙂

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it looks bad at all. There was still plenty of parts that looked gorgeous when I replayed it a few months ago. I think it holds up very, very well.
It has top notch artistry. I just mean technically - it looks like a big step down. It's just a generational thing. At the time I couldn't imagine games looking better. Happens every gen.

Wanchop

Oct 26, 2017
Malta
cause he's not oozing with praise like all the 10/10 you see everywhere and he is eloquent enough with his thoughts and critiques that fanboys can't talk shit about it.

This is the result.
Huh? He had massive praise for TLOU2 so this ain't it. If anything I think your point is actually more valid when it comes to the usual shithead brigade any form of article or video related to the game seems to attract - the comments section is just so...calm and collected

Oct 27, 2017
Listened to the first eight minutes of this, and while it is a well expressed review, his outlook on TLOU1 is entirely opposite to my second playthrough from 3 months ago.

To say there's no player agency where I am constantly reloading encounters because of a new strategy I wanna try is... dumb. This guy has a theory about prestige TV he wants to put forward, and yeah, he's right about the story, but the subtle gameplay finesse of TLOU flies right over his head.

Won't watch the rest of this. Can't be a game reviewer if you can't discern this.

Also, that "how can this game be one of the best ever if I barely heard about it" is a terrible stance that would get destroyed in any serious media critic.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
It kind of blows my mind how TLOU looks so bad now. There are moments in 2 that I know will stand out next gen as looking very dated as well.
I was honestly completely shocked. I played through tlou1 again a month ago and remembered how incredible it looked, didn't get around to finishing it and stopped for tlou2, which blew me away.

But then yesterday I decided to go back to tlou1 and was confused, I was like, is my game broken? It looks like a PS2 game after playing tlou2 for 30+ hours. (Exaggerating for effect).

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Funny, I'm replaying part 1 right now and I cant believe what an awful game it is (gameplaywise). This shit was archaic back on release in 2013 with clunky frustrating controls, terrible AI, surface level stealth mechanics (its basically crouch around waist high objects and play ring around the rosie), melee swings randomly missing enemies right on top of you, and insane rng weapon sway that was totally unnecessary given that enemies already flail around a good deal when charging at you. The fact that part 2 used the same foundation but made it actually play so well with minor tweaks and improvements was one of the most surprising things to me going into part 2. I expected to hate the gameplay as much as part 1 but was blown away at how much fun i had with it.

Starting the video now, glad he addresses the gameplay differences. "the most minimalistic gameplay of any AAA action title I have ever played " is such an apt way of putting the gameplay in part 1. Crazy that stealth action games that came out 11+ years prior were so much better.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
He did, I did like the game too, but it is in no way as good a people making ridiculous threads around here make it out to be.

Also, his position on Abby as a protagonist of this game is perfect, I absolutely loved her and Lev.
Yeah it is though. I love this game so much.

But hey I am not forcing my feelings on anyone - nobody should do that.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think his opinions on The Last of Us Remastered would have been completely different if he played it upon the time of release. Literally every single first party Sony exclusive in the PS4 gen was majorly influenced by it and used it as a stepping stone.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the critique and had it playing in the background at work today.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Listened to the first eight minutes of this, and while it is a well expressed review, his outlook on TLOU1 is entirely opposite to my second playthrough from 3 months ago.

To say there's no player agency where I am constantly reloading encounters because of a new strategy I wanna try is... dumb. This guy has a theory about prestige TV he wants to put forward, and yeah, he's right about the story, but the subtle gameplay finesse of TLOU flies right over his head.

Won't watch the rest of this. Can't be a game reviewer if you can't discern this.
It's not really a review.

I also don't think Tlou1 has much meaningful player agency.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
What a good goddamn video. Not sure if agree with everything, but the way he lays out his arguments is excellent.
A lot of valuable insights and it's probably the only video I watched that ties a critique of Part 1 and 2 together in a cohesive and consistent way.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does this topic warrant a two-hour video???

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
When a game spans over 15 hours to complete are people really that flabbergasted that an in-depth analysis and critique of that work plus its predecessor spans 2?