• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
It's a dumb question but I was just wondering after watching the latest trailer is the whole map a 1:1 scale of planet Earth?

How do they get that much detail into a game? I remember seeing a video that its data is streamed to your game online, because the whole Earth can't fit into 150gb right? I'm so confused lol, is there also offline play? Thanks ahah.

TigerKnee

Oct 27, 2017
Houston
I have another dumb question. Is there an easy mode where I can just fly? Don't care too much about learning the instruments. Just want to fly around!!

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's the entire earth, 1:1

MS is leveraging Bing mapping data along with procedural graphics techniques to fill in incomplete detail. And no, Microsoft's dataset for the earth is well over 150 GB. It's more like 2 petabytes according to preview articles.

The game is designed to be played while connected to the internet. Depending on your connection speed, you'll receive a constant datastream at a particular quality level.

There will be an offline mode, yes, but the quality level will be lower than if you were connected to the internet.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I believe it streams in Bing maps data to create the landscape.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it's the entire earth, 1:1

MS is leveraging Bing mapping data along with procedural graphics techniques to fill in incomplete detail. And no, Microsoft's dataset for the earth is well over 150 GB. It's more like 2 petabytes according to preview articles.

The game is designed to be played while connected to the internet. And depending on your connection speed, you'll receive a constant datastream at a particular quality level.

There will be an offline mode, yes. But the quality level will be lower than if you were connected to the internet.
Is offline mode at launch?

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, It's like flying over microsofts version of Google Earth.

As far as offline play goes. It does have that, but the world is procedurally generated. Meaning, when you fly over a smaller midwest city, instead of seeing what is streamed from microsoft you'll get random houses and what not.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Combination of data, procedural generation and some handcrafted assets like specific airports and such

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Might be interested in watching the discovert series the devs do on youtube :
www.youtube.com

Feature Discovery Series Episode 1: World

Watch as Lead Engine Programmer Lionel Fuentes talks about the World in the next evolution of Microsoft Flight Simulator.

This is great actually. Shows how it looks when in offline mode vs with full connection etc and they explain how it all works and what you'll get.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
So theoretically I can fly over my home?

Yes, I'm already doing this in XPlane11 with manual orthoXD but using mostly google and ARCGIS maps. The entirety of Japan is about 1 Terabyte at high-medium level fidelity.

Shame about no VR. Will dip in once that gets supported. I can never go back to flying flat.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So theoretically I can fly over my home?
Jup

jz70J9b.png

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
It requires an internet connection for the best version of the game. But you can download part of the map for an offline experience, won't look as detailed though.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
It's a dumb question but I was just wondering after watching the latest trailer is the whole map a 1:1 scale of planet Earth?

How do they get that much detail into a game? I remember seeing a video that its data is streamed to your game online, because the whole Earth can't fit into 150gb right? I'm so confused lol, is there also offline play? Thanks ahah.

Flight Sims like this have had the whole world in them for over a decade. The whole world can fit into 150GB, the full X-Plane 11 install is smaller than that.

The size of the global data depends on several things. Most flight sims have layered scenery.
At the bottom you have the terrain mesh, this creates the bumpiness of the land. In the past it would be fairly low resolution. But third parties would offer more detailed higher resolution mesh that would make the land detailed.
On top of the mesh is in X-Plane and older MS Flight Sims is landclass data. This tells the sim stuff like "this is an area with housing", "this area is industrial", "this area is tropical sea" and the sim would no what to put there.
And what would be put there? Well generic textures for housing, industry and sea. And on top of that would be appropriate 3D models.
There's also a vector layer with roads and rivers and coastlines.
And there would also be bespoke objects placed in the right position - The White House for example.

And yes, you could get the whole world like this in a download smaller than the latest Call of Duty.

And one could buy more detailed scenery - separate things like terrain mesh, better textures, updated landclass etc. You could buy photo textures and these took up huge amounts of space. You could also buy scenery packages that combine all these things - photo scenery, detailed mesh, and all the right buildings. There's even free software for X-Plane that helps you download photo map textures from google maps.

Now what the new Flight Sim 2020 does is a combination of these past techniques and some new things too. I don't know exactly what is in the final download but it's likely to be global generic terrain mesh, generic seasonal textures, 3d object, and vector data. So offline you can fly around the world and it will be pretty close to the real thing - certainly compared to older sims - but not photoreal. And yes this will fit in a 120GB download.

But when connected online (or using the rolling caching system that stores online data for use offline) the generic ground textures are replaced with high resolution detailed photo textures - what's really there. The generic download scenery is replaced by higher detailed photo and photogramatry data sourced originally from Bing maps.

So yes, you'd be surprised how much of the world they have been squeezing to Flight Sim releases for quite some time.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
What the fuck, I didnt even know the game worked like that. This sounds amazing! I echo the posting of another poster: Is there an easy mode?
Also, we have info about specs to run this? I have a i5 4590/GTX 1060//8GB RAM/100mb internet. Would love to play it but this sounds really spec heavy.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck, I didnt even know the game worked like that. This sounds amazing! I echo the posting of another poster: Is there an easy mode?
Also, we have info about specs to run this? I have a i5 4590/GTX 1060//8GB RAM/100mb internet. Would love to play it but this sounds really spec heavy.

The game supports Xbox controllers and starting on the runway with everything going, so it's going to be as newbie friendly as possible - at least for small planes. I'm guessing the difficulty curve steepens considerably for larger commercial craft.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
It's PC first, right? How long before it comes to console? I'm looking forward to just chilling and flying to some dope beats. Or listening to and flying near or through a storm.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
This is great actually. Shows how it looks when in offline mode vs with full connection etc and they explain how it all works and what you'll get.
I wish the comparison was better. They show three different cities for three different modes but don't show what each city looks like in each different mode.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so happy seeing people getting into Flight Simulator. Flying an airplane is just as fun as any AAA game out there!

I remember I got into Flight Simulator back in 1993 and this is what it looked like...

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
It's 10 Discs. 1 of the discs is devoted to mapping the entire planet via Bing's geocoordinating data, 9 discs are devoted to pre-flight Covid prep.

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy seeing people getting into Flight Simulator. Flying an airplane is just as fun as any AAA game out there!

I remember I got into Flight Simulator back in 1993 and this is what it looked like...

It always baffles me that we used to think those framrates was fine. I mean, there wasn't anything to compare to really. What can this be? 5-10fps?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I forget which version of Microsoft Flight Simulator it was I played as a kid on my dad's old laptop, but I had so much fun just messing around with it.

I would do stupid stuff like spawning a 737 inside an aircraft carrier.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
This all sounds absolutely insane, amazing.

If this is as good as it sounds, the "infinite power of the cloud" bullshit Microsoft was peddling some years back is going to be redeemed. Holy fuck.

Rsinart

Oct 27, 2017
Hope this is playable with controller, not entirely sure its gonna be something I stick with but it looks impressive. Just built a pc and have gamepass so I will check it out.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
It always baffles me that we used to think those framrates was fine. I mean, there wasn't anything to compare to really. What can this be? 5-10fps?
Yep 15 if you're lucky. If you set the detail to lowest (draw distance, shrubbery, vehicles, texture compression) you could conceivably get 60 fps.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I have another dumb question. Is there an easy mode where I can just fly? Don't care too much about learning the instruments. Just want to fly around!!
I haven't played the beta for this, but when I started playing flight sims 20 years ago they had scalable difficulty and I'd be surprised if that isn't in this one as well, especially considering its getting a console release.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I'm actually curious as to how low you can fly. Also the lower you go can you actually see traffic and pedestrians?

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i was originally thinking that I might finally buy an Xbox to play this. But then I remember wanting to build a pc. So imma do that, but this is absolutely at the top of my must get list. Absolutely stunning

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually curious as to how low you can fly. Also the lower you go can you actually see traffic and pedestrians?
I doubt you'll see people, but they procedurally generate vehicle traffic on roads.

Go to 4:40 min mark in this vid to see some traffic (watch this whole set of Feature Discovery Series if you want. It's fantastic). This procedural method isn't perfect but it should be interesting at low flight at least.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
i was originally thinking that I might finally buy an Xbox to play this. But then I remember wanting to build a pc. So imma do that, but this is absolutely at the top of my must get list. Absolutely stunning
In FSX and every previous FS you can dick around at whatever altitude you want.

That reminds me, In FSX I recreated the Miracle on Hudson US 1549 flight. It is a pretty wild descent into the river after an intense left bank. I recommend everyone try it in FS2020! FSX allowed you to land on water, so hoping they kept that here.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Look at the aerial view of your area via bing maps, that's what you'll see.
Better than that. It takes that information from satellites, but it then processes it and renders through procedural generation. It'll look like it belongs, even if it may not look EXACTLY like the satellite photo (which is probably for the best). But, at the same time, it also causes some weird bugs sometimes. Like when the Sahara was made up of a forest of sand-colored trees lol.