• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
carnage_-_asm_361.jpg

Carnage, the symbiote villain who was created because Marvel thought "Venom was cool, let's do that again." He's been around since the 90's and since then has been part of many storylines, connected to Spider-man or not. A recent event known as Absolute Carnage is bringing him back, so I was curious, what does Era think of him. Some see him as everything wrong with the 90's. I think he has a cool design and powers and his personality...is....eh though.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
nice design, horrible character. he's just venom with the edge factor turned up to 10

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't read comics so I have no idea if he's ever been a well written villain or not. I liked his design back in the early 90s cartoon when I was a kid but I find that nowadays it's too "90s edge."

I rolled my eyes hard when they teased him at the end of Venom.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Venom was never much more than a plot device "opposite of spidey" (I know eventually I found it readable but not until Flash and Remender, though the character has been decent since in my opinion, I even like the recent brock stuff) so yeah, no surprise a character spawned from him was all looks and style over substance, compounded with the 90's making that looks and style complete darkedgeseriouslybadassatleastleifelddidntdrawhimsohehasfeetandnoexessivepockets.

Not a fan obviously.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Only know him through the cartoons, kid me thought he was Venom's Waluigi.

I'm sure he's not but hey I only ever watched the cartoon.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I read a Carnage comics in the early 90's when I was 8 or 9. I only remember one thing : there's two panels side to side where you can see reality, and Carnages edgy vision of it (granny with S&M gear, cadavers everywere etc). That's how I feel about him : guilty pleasure fascination for an edgy character that's objectively garbage but is one of my shock moment as a kid. If anybody know what comics this is, I'll draw you a fanart of your waifu on the spot.

Nov 23, 2017
Hes a character that I don't think works super well devoid of spider man or spider man and venom teaming up against him, so I kinda am not into the idea of him just in the Sony movie series. I think he'd actually be a great MCU character though if they let the movie be R and actually had some stakes like showing him killing people

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's kinda lame, to be honest.

You know, when you really think about it, there's an interesting parallel to be had with Spider-Man and Street Fighter.

Spidey and Ryu are the main characters, obviously. Then you have Venom and Akuma, who are basically the edgier, anti-villain alternatives to the main characters. Then you have Evil Ryu and Carnage who are like the even edgier, even more evil versions of those characters. It's just kind of...dumb.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the 90s he kinda sucked, but there's been some fun stuff done with him over the past half decade or so (though it often ends with him dead or disappearing from comics for years, as there's only so far the character can go).

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I think he works as a Spider-Man villian because he is edgy, which Spider-Man isn't at all. Like how fans believe Venom and Carnage need to be so R-rated and edgy yet feel that PG-13 Spider-Man can't exist in the same universe; that's the point.

I think that is what makes many of Spider-Man's villains such a threat, even when he greatly over powers them, since they are willing to take it to lengths he isn't.

Maybe as a character Carnage is shallow, but there is something I like about the side of Spider-Man's rogues gallery that can not only be a serious physical threat, but are beyond his understanding.

I guess what I'm saying is I like him as a Spider-Man villian but don't care about him as a character much.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Better villain than Venom

Venom and Eddie Brock are just lame. Carnage/Kassidy are crazy and downright dangerous.

Better premise than Eddie beijg pissed that Pete got him fired after he tried to pull a fast one.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Carnage rules. He's the sort of villain that's so one note it kinda works his favor. It's just Venom but red and a serial killer. As long as you don't take him too seriously, he's a character that is just fun to let loose.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
I was talking to my friend about how dumb Carnage is on the bus and some stranger went "HEY NOW he's not supposed to be likeable"

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
"Absolutely terrible at being a hero" Carnage was the only good thing to come out of the Axis event.

Carnage works only if you go to extremes - so absolutely ridiculous like in Axis or if you really go HAM with the horror elements. The Absolute Carnage event might be leaning towards the latter, so we'll see how it turns out.

Other than that, the best panel for Carnage as when Sentry brought him into space and tore him in half.

carnagedeath6.jpg

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I read a Carnage comics in the early 90's when I was 8 or 9. I only remember one thing : there's two panels side to side where you can see reality, and Carnages edgy vision of it (granny with S&M gear, cadavers everywere etc). That's how I feel about him : guilty pleasure fascination for an edgy character that's objectively garbage but is one of my shock moment as a kid. If anybody know what comics this is, I'll draw you a fanart of your waifu on the spot.

Carnage: Mind Bomb

QVTMBRO_d.jpg

The Edge. I also remember being quite disturbed by that comic as a kid.

Also, I am awaiting my lady morag of xenoblade chronicles 2 fanart.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Carnage is interesting as this calculating cosmic horror abomination in the upcoming Absolute Carnage crossover.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've never read the comics, so I honestly mostly know him from the PS1 Spider-Man game. I guess I liked him in that game for his creepy voice acting and how terrifying Carnage-Doc Ock was.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Love him , know from Animated show and PS1 game , it just makes interesting stories with Venom and Spidey co-op'ing up

zon

Oct 28, 2017
He never really fit as a Spiderman villain. He's a psychotic, super powered mass murderer; he'd be a better fit for one of the heroes who are ready to maim/kill if they have to.

It's like Marvel tried to give Spiderman his own version of Sabretooth and Peter's too much of a goody two-shoes for it to work.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
"Absolutely terrible at being a hero" Carnage was the only good thing to come out of the Axis event.

Carnage works only if you go to extremes - so absolutely ridiculous like in Axis or if you really go HAM with the horror elements. The Absolute Carnage event might be leaning towards the latter, so we'll see how it turns out.

Other than that, the best panel for Carnage as when Sentry brought him into space and tore him in half.

carnagedeath6.jpg

Its a panel that features the Sentry.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
He's had some good limited series, and he works very well. Venom is rough, but Carnage is extreme. He's a psychopath, and most great heroes have a foil whom is a psychopath. And it helped Venom establish himself as more than the "edgy guy with Spider-Man's power".

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Carnage: Mind Bomb

QVTMBRO_d.jpg

The Edge. I also remember being quite disturbed by that comic as a kid.

Also, I am awaiting my lady morag of xenoblade chronicles 2 fanart.
DAMN! This is it, the end of a 20 years long quest for that comics name! I'll get to work on that fanart then!
I read it in french , pretty sure they didn't reference Dahmer and Gacy here haha!